Automatic Planter For Cassava

JungleBiker

Hi All,

In Khonwan's "sticky" cassava thread above, back in July on page 4 (I think?)Foreigner mentioned a prototype automatic planter for cassava. Does he or anyone else have any further information on such a planter? He said it was a based on a modified leek planter. How about sugar cane planters - I think these already exist in Thailand - would they not be suitable for planting cassava stems? Also, are they really automatic or do they still require someone to manually feed the stems into the machine behind the tractor? Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

By the way, how is the price of cassava at present or is it not harvest season yet?

JB

Don't know anything about a cassava planting machine but I pay 250 Baht/rai for planting and that involves about 4000 stems so not sure a machine would improve on that.

Price in Chayapoum was very low a couple of weeks ago at about 1.25 Baht/kilo. Apparently the Gov is going to guarantee a price of 1.30 for the next 6 months or so and are going to try and get the price up but who knows how they intend doing that.

Don't know anything about a cassava planting machine but I pay 250 Baht/rai for planting and that involves about 4000 stems so not sure a machine would improve on that.

Price in Chayapoum was very low a couple of weeks ago at about 1.25 Baht/kilo. Apparently the Gov is going to guarantee a price of 1.30 for the next 6 months or so and are going to try and get the price up but who knows how they intend doing that.

Hi Somo,

Thanks for your reply. I am curious... I understand you plant about 4,000 stems per rai, is that correct? The number seems high to what I thought was normally planted. What spacing do you use between stems? Do you plant the stems vertically or horizontally?

Thanks.

JB.

JB,

I would think that 4000 is possibly understated. Do the maths, 1 rai is 40x40 metres at about 700mm spacing matrix that would yeild 63x63 plantings, ie. 4000 per rai.

What I have seen is more dense than that.

Isaanaussie

Hi IsaanAussie,

Yes I think you're right. I just checked Khonwan's recommendations at the top of the page and he said he planted at 50cm x 95cm which I reckon gives 3,368/rai. I had read elsewhere that 10,000/ha (1,600/rai) was recommended but now I understand from Khonwan that the closer spacing/higher density helps reduce weed problems (the cassava covers the ground quicker).

JB.

JB,

With current prices down, I wonder why cassava is being planted. As a value added crop, for the starch industry OK 9-10 baht OK, as a root crop delivered to the plant 4-5 baht, depends on distance I suppose. But the 1.4 -1.5 baht that is reportedly on offer locally near me in Isaan would make me think again about planting the stuff. Oil prices will increase but need to move up a long way because ethanol cost of production at 20 baht per litre is justified. I have not studied the starch industry here but understand it is large.

Can I suggest that you take a careful look at the industries using the crop before deciding on variety etc.. I would also consider producing dried chips which can be stored for sale at best price timing rather than crop harvest glut time. Animal feed, is another alternate which I have been revisiting at your suggestion. Ensiling the leaves is then an option.

I have attached the current prices charts from the Dept Internal Trade which show the cassava and tapioca prices at the end of October.

dit_crop_prices_oct_30_08.pdf

Isaanaussie

The cost of a mechanized cassava planter, versus manual labour costs in Thailand I think would make it very hard to justify mechanized planting in Thailand.

You would have to have several thousand rai at least, before the economics of it started to make any sense.

The cost of a mechanized cassava planter, versus manual labour costs in Thailand I think would make it very hard to justify mechanized planting in Thailand.

You would have to have several thousand rai at least, before the economics of it started to make any sense.

It makes very quickly sense when you have a problem getting the necessary laborers.

In our case even 500 rai is enough to start "the economics" to make sense!!!!!

You seem to forget to include some elements in your economic model.

It is not only about the comparison between the cost of labour and the cost of a mechanized cassava planter.

You seem to forget the main reason: the availability of labour.... which was never a problem in the past, but it is getting a bigger problem by the year.

I predict that in some years time, there will be less and less labour involved in the farming and more and more mechanization.

I can give you a long list of reasons for this prediction: rising labour cost, problems with labour cost negotiations, labour availability, labour reliability,..... the list goes on.... I know that we are not the only farmer in the region that have these kinds of problems with the labour.

• 3 years later...

It is now February 2012 and labour is going out the roof, in my corner of Isaan the workers want 300 baht a day. The price of cassava is 2 baht a kilo give or take the day you take it in. I think the time for a planter may have come, does anyone have any new information on them.

We are now paying one contractor 450 per ton to cut and deliver to the factory. We allways used to pay daily but unless you have an abundance of good workers, per ton works out cheaper and we don't need to watch them all day.

As for mechanized planters I think the time is here, we are finding labor shortages for all our crops which in turn leads to labor price increase.

Todays Petchabun price for cassava is 2.20

My post above is 2 years old when I paid 250/rai for planting. This year it is about 400/rai all in as wages are up 200-250/day

and we also now soak the stems in a solution to kill bacteria etc. Even at this price though buying a planting machine wouldn't be viable unless you could get a lot of work planting other farmers land. Bit like buying a tractor - the economics don't work for me.

• 3 weeks later...

It is now February 2012 and labour is going out the roof, in my corner of Isaan the workers want 300 baht a day. The price of cassava is 2 baht a kilo give or take the day you take it in. I think the time for a planter may have come, does anyone have any new information on them.

I saw an automatic planter in Pattaya, including fert aplicator, just cuts and drops stems, apparently only 70,000 Baht. It will pay for itself with only 200 rai, if things work out i will consider one next season. Paying 450 baht per ton for harvesting and delivery sounds painfull. Lampang wage is 200 Bt/Day Edited by EdyP

I saw an automatic planter in Pattaya, including fert aplicator, just cuts and drops stems, apparently only 70,000 Baht. It will pay for itself with only 200 rai, if things work out i will consider one next season. Paying 450 baht per ton for harvesting and delivery sounds painfull. Lampang wage is 200 Bt/Day

Can you give some more information on what you saw ?

Dealer/Contact #

Thank you !