Do Farang Teachers Get More Work Then Others?

Do schools and colleges rather farang english teachers over the rest???

In a sitaution where two qualified teachers were both going for the same job interview.

One teacher is from Australia done his BA in a University in Australia, has TEFL certificate and has great teaching experience.

Second teacher is a native from America but his nationality is Chinese, done his BA also in a good University in America, has TEFL certificate and great teaching experience aswell.

Now I`m asking generally cause i know all situations are different......BUT would schools automatically choose a farang over a asian...because of ethnicity???

Andy.

Edited by junki3korean

Generally, in Thailand, I'd say yes (based on a yes - no question). However, I'd say its more about looks rather than ethnicity (Thais like white skin and western looking people, regardless of nationality; i've met some poor English speaking Germans but their looks met the Thai criteria of blonde hair and blue eyes).

In a sitaution where two qualified teachers were both going for the same job interview.

One teacher is from Australia done his BA in a University in Australia, has TEFL certificate and has great teaching experience.

Second teacher is a native from America but his nationality is Chinese, done his BA also in a good University in America, has TEFL certificate and great teaching experience aswell.

Now I`m asking generally cause i know all situations are different......BUT would schools automatically choose a farang over a asian...because of ethnicity???

Andy.

The answer to your question is generally yes (in my opinion) especially if it is an EP. There needs to be X amount of Anglo white faces. "Chai's" mom and dad are not paying 35-40 thousand baht per term to have their son or daughter taught English by an Asian teacher, even if that Asian teacher speaks fluent English.

Unfortuanly The LOS has its fair share of racist views even when it comes to their own. A light skinned Thai has an advantage over a dark skinned Thai when it comes to employment. It may not be right, but that's the way it is.

Based on your criteria, where both are considered native speakers, at my school, it would depend on the interview and demonstration class, and possibly referees. We have plenty of Thais, and Indian, a Singaporean, who we consider native speakers, on staff. But this is our school; otheres are different. Educated Thai parents know the score on this and tend not to complain too much.

The highest paid teacher at one private school in Chiang Mai (the one beside Carrefour) is a Singaporean. Farangs earn less.

My boss (EP director) who is Thai is the highest paid in our department and works under contract, but on average other Asians and non whites are offered less even if they are native speakers.

• 2 months later...

Andy.

Hi Koreanjunkie. First of all: Look how you wrote that statement. Too many mistakes are making too many problems. I don't want to correct your letter, no, it's just the way you're asking Questions. I'd never write as well like you...and look how your situation looks like. And Asian, or Farlang should begin with a capital letter....how can you be a Native American and Chinese at the same time? Good Luck Chuck !!!!!!!!!

based on my experience, my first teaching job in Thailand was supposedly between me and three people:

me, an American Black man. (at the time) zero experience.

a Thai man, 5 years experience

a Chinese woman, I don't know anything else since she never spoke

result:

WE ALL GOT HIRED!