Warm Water In New House

localguy

im building a new house want to have a central gas or solar heating system for water

would like to have some help on what is the best way of heating shower and kitchen water and wich pipes to use

anyone have good ideas ??

3 bathrooms and kitchen

im building a new house want to have a central gas or solar heating system for water

would like to have some help on what is the best way of heating shower and kitchen water and wich pipes to use

3 bathrooms and kitchen

I have built several houses here in Thailand and have put central hot water heaters ( electric ) in all of them. The only option for pipeing is pvc for the cold side and galvanised for the hot side. Make sure that they dont get the pipes reveresed when laying the pipes in the wall.Also when laying out the route of the pipes from the faucets to water heater remember that some day you are probally going to have to replace the galvanised ones so therfore you have to decide which is better to tear up floor or the wall and what section.

1 house I built was a 2 story with a carport underneath the front section with the bathroom and kitchen directly above which made all the plumbing exposed. Also when they pored the beams I put a 2 inch piece of pvc across ways in the form that allows for a runway, that way everything is not hanging on the bottom of the beams. Good luck up this helps

do you use copper pipes ????

I'd use copper before galvanised.

I started work in the building industry nearly 30 years ago and galvanised pipe was well out of fashion back then. It rusts from the inside and fills up with crap.

the old Romans used galvanised pipes :o

Mentioned just for conversation - there are small water heaters that mount under the sink to supply hot water to the sink and shower. This lessens the need for metal pipes to just the room being outfitted with hot water.

Having seen electrical work in Thailand, I'd be certain to inspect the grounding on any electric hot water heater. Especially in the situation where you are not feeding it with metal pipe going all the way back into the ground.

the old Romans used galvanised pipes :o

And the NEW Romans use?

Copper is now incredibly expensive so I would be surprised if it were available in LOS (last month, I was getting GBP60 for a scrap water cylinder). It is easily sealed against corrosion by wrapping it in 'Denzo' tape (a tar-like impregnated tape). I am not sure if alternatives are available in LOS.

As a qualified plumber, I would go for a SAFE installation of an electric water heater.

Dave

I use an instantaneous gas hot water heater in the bathroom but the OP has three bathrooms and wants hot water in the kitchen as well, so some sort of central heating system would be an option, with ALL copper pipe.

I suggest a tour of the home centers to see what's available.

I just had an experience with galvanized pipe that matches the description above regarding corrosion inside. The pipe is a 1/2" link between a brass pressure tank fitting and a pressure switch to control the pump operation. Not much water flow, just a means of measuring pressure. Although the pipe stands vertically, corrosion filled it up and blocked it, causing a delay in the pump coming on since it took a while for the pressure to drop through the pipe. Hard to believe a vertical pipe could block with loose rust chips, so it must be some kind of rust matrix or foam that builds up. Took about four years of use to block with corrosion.

If I ever choose to build a house in Thailand, it will be quite a struggle to get a builder who will listen to "foreigner" specifications.

Also, it is not unreasonable to have more than one of those small under-shelf water heaters in a house. Having said that I also prefer the central unit but with the complication of copper pipes.

:o

kenk3z

I used copper pipes for hot water and normal PVC pipes for cold water, both connected from boiler to faucets in Bathroom, if your kitchen not too far from Bathroom you can connect the pipe until kitchen with one boiler (have to be big enough, such as type 100 lites for avoid problem when you have to use water in every places in the same time), I paid 650 baht per meter for connect copper pipe and install boiler. Anothe way you can buy small boiler just for use in the kitchen for save the pipe and make a short distance way to connect the pipe from boiler, this is what I want to do too.

In Homepro they sell thickwall pvc pipe imported from Germany greencolor,and it can stand more then 10 bar to install nipple's bends etc you need a special electric tool to weld (melt the fittings onto the pipe)tool is for sale to and also for rent.

If you want to use copper pipe you have to run it trough a pvc pipe before you install it in the wall.But this new pvc is a cheaper solution then copper.

Goodluck and look around there are many things on the market nowadays and not only in bangkok.

3 bathrooms and kitchen

You can get copper pipes from any air conditioner installer. gas connections at Topgas in Bangkok Topgas website

Rinnai whole house tankless water heater.....Home Pro......maybe Howeworks too.

Beachbunny

3 bathrooms and kitchen

You can get copper pipes from any air conditioner installer. gas connections at Topgas in Bangkok Topgas website

Rinnai whole house tankless water heater.....Home Pro......maybe Howeworks too.

Beachbunny

first of all

i want to thank all of you for giving me good ideas

im of to bangkok on the 22 nov because there is a furniture and house show ( and a champagne tasting in the landmark ha ha )

will be looking there for clues

the thing what scares me the most is the fitting part

i know some house builders in C R and i think that there knowledge of copper pipes is not 100 %

but i will contact the firm in bangkok and speak with them to

so ones again thank you all

the localguy

In Homepro they sell thickwall pvc pipe imported from Germany greencolor,and it can stand more then 10 bar to install nipple's bends etc you need a special electric tool to weld (melt the fittings onto the pipe)tool is for sale to and also for rent.

If you want to use copper pipe you have to run it trough a pvc pipe before you install it in the wall.But this new pvc is a cheaper solution then copper.

Goodluck and look around there are many things on the market nowadays and not only in bangkok.

says WHO? :o

3 bathrooms and kitchen

Check this out as an alternative method of plumbing.

Pipes

You're pushing sleeves into the pipe which reduces the internal diameter and, accordingly, the water pressure.

It's a handyman gadget to try to convince people they can do the plumbing work on the house themselves.

The OP should get the job done properly.

I think this thread should be moved to the building forum where there may be someone who knows what they're talking about. :o

no way! it is much more amusing to read bullshit such as "use goldplated stainless steel pipes and install them inside PVC because the favourite dish of thai termites is copper" :D

Hey, we don't get a lot of commentary on CR....I'm turning a blind eye for the time being...you guys duke it out amongst yourselves! :D

I sold my house in America 3 years ago, moved here and became a fiscally conservative apartment dweller.

Mr. Home Improvement, I am not.... :D

PS I had all copper pipes in my last mansion :D

PPS It was a condo

PPPS It is worth 25% less today, than what I sold it for....guess that copper piping is someone else's problem now.... :o

I think this thread should be moved to the building forum where there may be someone who knows what they're talking about. :o

no way! it is much more amusing to read bullshit such as "use goldplated stainless steel pipes and install them inside PVC because the favourite dish of thai termites is copper" :D

I've done just enough welding and high temp soldering to know that I don't want to try to do either on stainless tube. Getting a good sweat joint on copper is one thing .. stainless is a no-no. Compression fittings on water supply sized stainless tubing .. not this feller. Wall thickness heavy enough to be threaded, damned expensive.

Good galvanized pipe will last longer than most of us will. Actually, tarred black pipe probably would as well. If you're worried about build-up inside, go to the next larger size .. all that scale will act as an insulator. :D

The beauty of copper is it is so flexible and easy to work. We used to silver solder all joints, lead based solder being too toxic to use around drinking water, and often the 12mm pipe could be bent up to to 90 degrees with a special tool rather using fittings.

I've pulled copper out of the walls of houses thirty to forty years old and it's as sound as the day it went in.

The trend to stainless steel pipe in Europe is cost orientated rather than for efficiency reasons.