1 Year Student Visa For Muay Thai Students

Hey all,

There is a Muay Thai school in downtown Bangkok offering 12 months student visas to their long term students, and the fees are quite reasonable, but is it really legit?

They showed me a school certificate (all in Thai of course), and I would be required to attend the classes according to their curriculum.

Could I feel safe staying here long term using their visa or are they just trying to pull a fast one on me? :o

Regards,

BangkokBP

I don't think I would put out any money unless I talked to a student that had already gotten the extension of stay they claim to be able to get.

It's possible they have all the correct credentials to get a an extension of stay though.

Recently their was a member on this forum that was trying to do the same but was unable to get an extension because his school could not provide the documents required.

Edited by ubonjoe

If it is a legitimate school it should not be a problem but there is quite a lot of paperwork preparation for extensions, it also has to be followed by a second letter from the Ministry of Education. I am not sure what administrative support that school has. The best would be to talk to students at that school and ask them if they were able to obtain extensions as ubonjoe mentioned.

Walen School of Thai

The Muay School that I train at offers real 1yr Visa's, they are also offering Thai studies if you dont want to box.

The trainers and managers there are great people and I would go for it

To add one more thing, I think the visa is cheap but you still need to pay for monthly training sessions which are run by very good trainers. so over the yr the price will add up but still cheap compared to "other visa schools" and back home

The Muay School that I train at offers real 1yr Visa's, they are also offering Thai studies if you dont want to box.

You mean the Muay Thai school is also a Thai school? Interesting combination. What is the name of that school? do they have a website? Are they registered with the Ministry of Education as a Thai school? How many students do they have learning Thai? :o

This is a very interesting post. Also what do you mean by 'real' 1 year visa? You mean there are not real ones too? How can we tell the difference is the visa is a real one or not?

I like the idea of learning to box at a Muay Thai school but I really worry about learning Thai there. What method do they use? Any examples? What about Thai schools offering boxing lessons from now on - good idea?

Walen School of Thai

Edited by macwalen

You mean the Muay Thai school is also a Thai school? Interesting combination. What is the name of that school? do they have a website? Are they registered with the Ministry of Education as a Thai school? How many students do they have learning Thai? :o

This is a very interesting post. Also what do you mean by 'real' 1 year visa? You mean there are not real ones too? How can we tell the difference is the visa is a real one or not?

I like the idea of learning to box at a Muay Thai school but I really worry about learning Thai there. What method do they use? Any examples? What about Thai schools offering boxing lessons from now on - good idea?

Walen School of Thai

The Muay Thai school offers a 1 yr ed visa for people interested in learning Muay Thai. I have personally meet the trainers/muay company and spoke to them about other schools offering ed visa and how other schools are only in it for the money (e.g they dont care if you come or not as long a syou pay the initial fee). I also mentioned that to gain credibiltity they must do it 100%. I know many other places that take your money and don't follow up.

They spoke to me about there homstay program for fighter wanting to also study Thai.

I rate the muay school as the location is excellent, trainers are great, open longer hrs and can accomodate people like me (working full time)

Thank you for your feedback, I have done some further checking and it does indeed seem legit.

The school is located on Washington square and is called Chacrit Muay Thai School, it's quite small but clean and well equipped, the teachers are pleasant fellow and they have a person who takes care of the visa processing.

I think I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out.

All the best,

bbp

Thank you for your feedback, I have done some further checking and it does indeed seem legit.

The school is located on Washington square and is called Chacrit Muay Thai School, it's quite small but clean and well equipped, the teachers are pleasant fellow and they have a person who takes care of the visa processing.

I think I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out.

All the best,

bbp

That's where I train, best of luck

Thanks, we know more now. I have looked at the website and it does not say anything about teaching Thai. Also it says that the school is in the 'process of getting a school license'. Nothing on that website about 1 year visa or about teaching Thai. Unless the website is not updated.

Walen School

Thanks, we know more now. I have looked at the website and it does not say anything about teaching Thai. Also it says that the school is in the 'process of getting a school license'. Nothing on that website about 1 year visa or about teaching Thai. Unless the website is not updated.

Walen School

Yeah, I think their website is not update since some time back.

• 2 months later...

hi the muay thai school u train at,is near to bts?whats the fees for the 1 yr visa.any website for me to visit?

Nothing on that website about 1 year visa or about teaching Thai.

Walen School

So, they don't know how to read/navigate through a webpage at Walen School, then?? :o

Checked out the webpage. Just one click (on "Fees"), and voila:

"Homestay

Home stay

Accommodation with AC, 2 meals/day transport and daily training

1.500/day

30.000/month

Student visa

1 year visa for long term students available

Please Call..."

Nothing on that website about 1 year visa or about teaching Thai.

Walen School

So, they don't know how to read/navigate through a webpage at Walen School, then?? :o

When I read “teaching Thai” I understood it to mean “teaching the Thai” language. Perhaps I don’t know how to read a web page either, but “Accommodation includes two meals a day, transport to and from the Gym, daily Muay Thai classes and excursions or sightseeing on Sundays.” isn’t the same as teaching Thai, is it?

--

Maestro

Walen School of Thai

Why does Walen have to jump in to counter the obvious..

ED visa's are issued on a lot more than learning Thai language !! I have said before back in Europe they will give me a 1 year ME for learning scuba diving, Thai cultural studies, etc etc.. No school papers or intervention required.

So this MT training camp appears to get extensions (annually or 90 days ??) thats new to me but not out of the range of possibility.

…ED visa's are issued on a lot more than learning Thai language !! …

That has always been understood, I believe.

…I have said before back in Europe they will give me a 1 year ME for learning scuba diving, Thai cultural studies, etc etc.. No school papers or intervention required…

It is a well-known fact that the requirements used for the issuance of a visa, any visa, may vary from one consulate to the next. Not every consulate “in Europe” would probably give you a “1 year ME” on the same terms as your unnamed consulate did. It helps to be specific when talking about these things and name the consulate.

…So this MT training camp appears to get extensions (annually or 90 days ??)…

Life was so simple when the term “one-year visa” was used and by all understood to mean a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa, of any category, valid for an unlimited number of journeys to Thailand within one year from the visa’s issue date. More recently, Thai language schools have adopted this term to mean a single-entry non-ED visa, upon arrival in Thailand giving permission to stay for 90 days with the possibility of extensions of stay of 90 days at a time for a maximum of one year.

At this point of the discussion in this thread the meaning of the “1 year student visa for Muay Thai students” used by the OP is not yet clear. The referenced web site of the school cryptically mentions “a 1 year student visa for long term studies, and the possibility to extend for another 90 days”, and it will remain unclear until we see copies of the stamps in a student’s passport. It is futile to speculate about it until then, in my opinion.

--

Maestro

LivinLOS, respectfully, I am not sure what was so obvious and what did I counter? You mean it should be obvious that a Muay Thai school is also doubling as a Thai language school? For me this is not so obvious. I have never questioned that a Muay Thai school can be a good idea to learn Muay Thai and stay in Thailand for a year or longer.

007, respectfully, regarding the website, not long time ago there was very little information on it. We still do not know how much are Thai courses at that Muay Thai school, also how much is a one year course. Have not heard anything from students who were able to obtain extensions based on learning Muay Thai at that school. This is an open forum so we can express our opinions.

We also welcome criticism of our website but it cannot be so bad with a number of schools copying our content, schedules etc and even copying our translations into other languages. The purpose of our website is to give clear information about our school and I believe it serves that purpose.

Mac

Walen School of Thai, www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen