Transferring Money From Us To Thai Bank

For me, the best way is by SWIFT wire transfer from one of my US bank accounts to my Thai bank account. These I send in US dollars and the conversion happens in Thailand. The fees vary from free to 50 dollars on the US side, and minimal on the Thai side. Of course, you need a previous wiring agreement with your US bank unless you bank with one of the US banks that still allow you to initiate a wire without a previous agreement.

i have a US account and a Thai account, but I am not sure I ever set up the wire transfer agreement before I left the States. :o

if all else fails i guess i can withdraw a bit at a time via ATM.

If you're "not sure" you set up wire transfer ability then most likely you did not. As you would have done this for a specific reason and you would not forget it. If you're not in the US and cannot visit you're bank than most likely you cannot activate wire transfer services from here in LOS. Most banks want you physically present to fill out the forms and sign in person with ID as this is a very secure procedure and they have their policies that must be followed

I opened an account and set up SWIFT transfer at First Internet Bank without being in the US. I fax a transfer request and they send a confirmation request e-mail. I can send a fax our afternoon, return e-mail that night and money will be in Bangkok Bank account the next afternoon. Not cheap at $50 a pop.

I have tried the electronic fund transfers or ACH transfer via the Internet through Bangkok Banks NYC branch and though the transfer was validated, after the first transfer it was frozen when they realized the account was not in the US. They said this was a ACH provider rule and not necessarily a legal issue. I understand that several other posters continue to use this system with no problems. YMMV

TH

I had a similar issue with my bank in the US when I set up the ACH transfer to BBK bank. I used my wifes account and name and the first transfer to BBK they froze my account and internet banking. It took several phone calls and whining but they approved it after all and now I can do ACH transfers.

i have a US account and a Thai account, but I am not sure I ever set up the wire transfer agreement before I left the States. :o

if all else fails i guess i can withdraw a bit at a time via ATM.

For large amounts, wire transfer probably best, my credit union charges $45 for this irrespective of the amount. They're nice about this, a fax from me will do to initiate the transfer, altho haven't done one in about 10 years.

For large or small amounts, if you can wait for 45 days for access to the funds (my branch of SCB), deposit of a personal U.S. $$ check to your baht account is cheapest.

For small to medium amounts, the ATM route works fine, about $570++ for a baht 20,000 withdrawal these days so for $2,000, for example, three days and a wee bit.

Mac

Do you have an active US bank account -- and if so, can you do electronic fund transfers (EFTs) via the Internet? Is your bank in Thailand Bangkok Bank?

If "yes, yes, yes," I'll provide another way.

and this is the best way

Anybody know the current rules for getting money out of Thailand? I know you just can't transfer that large amount out without some kind of paperwork. Holding about $600k US in cash at Bangkok Bank, was to be an investment & retirement house but with this s**t going on I'll wait a few years before I look at Thailand again. Thanks!