Po-po Out In Force Today. . .

StevieH

seems today is the monthly concern-for-public-safety / end-of-month-revenue-generation exercise and there are checkpoints scattered about the moat and one just across narawat bridge. anyone thinking of (foolishly, naturally) scootering or biking into town minus crash helmet would be advised to think again.

Whether the police are out there or not, it would be a rather dumb exercise to be riding any type of motorcycle without a good quality crash helmet anytime.

That's true Blinky, but then folks know that smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and overeating can also be fatal to their health, but knowing the dangers doesn't necessarily mean people heed the warnings! Strong as an Ox at bedtime - wake up with lung cancer in the morning! It happens all the time! Not quite as instant as a truck running over your head, but not far off :D

StevieH, you've probably saved a few Chiang Mai Knievel's 400 B :o

Aitch

Whether the police are out there or not, it would be a rather dumb exercise to be riding any type of motorcycle without a good quality crash helmet anytime.

indeed blinky bill, i agree entirely. there are plenty in chiang mai who still gamble though.

They have been hanging around that bridge for weeks now . A while ago I turned left off the bridge and and was ambushed by 5 of them all drooling at the thought of the big fine they could get out of me. They usually run and hide under a rock somewhere when the sun gets too strong or just after midday.

While on the subject of bikes, there was a mess of an accident at the intersection of Pantip Plaza on Chan Klan last evening, the road is still covered in blood. There was a huge crowd, anyone know what happened. I saw the Tourist Police there as well.

indeed blinky bill, i agree entirely. there are plenty in chiang mai who still gamble though.

Not to mention the halfway house wallys who wear one simply to avoid the fine but don't bother to fasten the chin strap. All the discomfort and inconvenience without any benefit at all. :o

The police are everywhere today including the outskirts of the city. I have never seen so many out in force at one time.

i for one find it refreshing that the city is clearly so committed to ensuring the safety of its two-wheeled citizens.

That's true Blinky, but then folks know that smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and overeating can also be fatal to their health, but knowing the dangers doesn't necessarily mean people heed the warnings! Strong as an Ox at bedtime - wake up with lung cancer in the morning! It happens all the time! Not quite as instant as a truck running over your head, but not far off :D

StevieH, you've probably saved a few Chiang Mai Knievel's 400 B :o

Aitch

Aitch...... 400 baht ... Nahhh

for not wearing a helmet the fine is 200 baht

400 is for going straight on at a turn right ( or left ) only junction !

i know this coz i paid the 400 baht for going into the top of loy kroh road ( by jammers bar ) last week : )

regards ... dave2

I once got pull over for wearing "Arai" helmet because it didn't pass Thai standard (see a white sticker attached at the back of the every helmet made in Thailand). He was surprised to learn that my helmet costed more than his Tiger.

Besides the helmet, these guys are also looking for bikes without registration, especially BigBikes.

And the emphasis should be on "good quality"

The 100 Baht helmets that the majority of Thais wear protect them from one thing only "and that is the end of the month nosh up collection by the BIB"

Their brains would be scrambled if they were ever in an accident.

Even the cops know shyt about the wearing of helmets as most of the time they either do not have one on or it is not properly fastened.

Clearly these people (the cops) have not got the the IQ of a geranium

If they were paid a proper salary, maybe they'd not do any 'collecting'.

I often see, presumably, inspectors riding their bikes with their caps on, no room for a helmet.

It's all a game. The state create laws. People abide them or don't, according to their own whims. This is more freedom than, typically, most european countries where the state is omnipresent, and will definitely get you, all the time. Okay, you don't want to wear a helmet? A seatbelt? Well, most of the time you'll be fine. Occasionally you'll have to help pay some police their salaries, but at least the state are kept out of the equation.

And the emphasis should be on "good quality"

The 100 Baht helmets that the majority of Thais wear protect them from one thing only "and that is the end of the month nosh up collection by the BIB"

Their brains would be scrambled if they were ever in an accident.

Even the cops know shyt about the wearing of helmets as most of the time they either do not have one on or it is not properly fastened.

Clearly these people (the cops) have not got the the IQ of a geranium

Have you stopped for more than a second to use your own brain and IQ cells to consider if there may be other reasons why folk choose not to use helmets? If you do consider other reasons, and you have enough of your own IQ cells, you may find you learn something...

Have you stopped for more than a second to use your own brain and IQ cells to consider if there may be other reasons why folk choose not to use helmets? If you do consider other reasons, and you have enough of your own IQ cells, you may find you learn something...

Well I for one, object to wearing a helmet because it spoils my hairdo. Are there other reasons?

Well I for one, object to wearing a helmet because it spoils my hairdo. Are there other reasons?

Yes. Uncomfortable, hot, sweaty, many are of almost no real protection anyway, easily stolen (especially decent ones), and above all the motorcycling experience is for many people a liberating way to get about, and a helmet clamps down on that feeling of freedom so to speak.

Personally i only ever hire bikes when on holiday down south. I never wear a helmet. If i happen to use one in chiang mai, then i unwillingly use a helmet. But that's because i'm no longer a youthful citizen who fears nothing in the world and deals with danger like it doesn't exist.

But to willingly choose to not wear a helmet does not equate to being stupid. That is only the perception of some. Killjoys usually.

It would appear that yours has stopped working altogether. Is this a permanent situation or merely a momentary lapse of reason?

Perhaps you whacked your head into a curb wearing a low cost/quality helmet or where you travelling bareback?

It would appear that yours has stopped working altogether. Is this a permanent situation or merely a momentary lapse of reason?

Perhaps you whacked your head into a curb wearing a low cost/quality helmet or where you travelling bareback?

:D

Wasn't a movie made on this...sumptin 'bout some cowboy fellers in a mountain somewheres...lonely, sittin by the camp fire trading cowboy stories 'bout using whips and leather thangs,....seems they wern't wearin' helmets either! :o

:D

Wasn't a movie made on this...sumptin 'bout some cowboy fellers in a mountain somewheres...lonely, sittin by the camp fire trading cowboy stories 'bout using whips and leather thangs,....seems they wern't wearin' helmets either! :o

Is that the one where they started kissing each other which led on to other activities which are generally reserved for boys and girls?

And is one of the actors now dead?

The police are everywhere today including the outskirts of the city. I have never seen so many out in force at one time.

When does the ASEAN summit start? Maybe they are getting ready for that.

Perhaps due to the rumoured arrival of the PM, on his return from Peru, so that he can avoid crowds of greeters in the capital, and issue his State-of-Emergency in peace ?

I just saw the police pull up a couple driving a motorbike up the wrong way on the one-way, Ratchamanka Road. The bike was chained and they went off to get some dosh. That's the first time I have seen the police do that since the office opened.