Confused About Marry O Visa. Need Advice

I decide to marry my Thai girlfriend after making monthly visa run for 1 year from Bangkok to all over the borders and neighboring countires.

I am very confused about the visa types in Thailand after I read through the forum. I do have a Thai bank account at Bank Asia with over 1 million bahts, and also money overseas, so proof of money will be no problem. Can anyone tell me step by step in easy English from what department to register marraige until lastly where to get and what is the best visa for me.

I like to have a more flexible visa that can stay short or long or at least 90 days

in Thailand. (but 30 day is too short and tiring to take Air Asia or Orient Thai all over boder towns and neighboring countires) please advise me.

If you are US citizen (Aloha) then first visit is to US Embassy in Bangkok or Consulate in Chiang Mai (if not Amcit you do at your Embassy) and fill out a paper and have it notarized (single, employment, references in US, bio data). You then take to translation service to obtain Thai version and then have it registered at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs here in Bangkok. Once you have the comeback registered version you present yourselves at a District Office and register your marriage. After that is done take a trip to Penang or other Consulate and obtain a non immigrant O visa using marriage certificate copy and copy of wife id card (and perhaps a letter from her at some places - better to take her with you as a vacation). You then get a 90 day stay if single entry visa of up to 15 months with 90 day trips out of the country.

To extend your stay you need a source of money to support your new wife. If over 50 that can be pension or other overseas money that you bring into the country at the level of 400k baht. If you are under 50 you are expected to be employed, but if you remit from overseas that will be assumed to be income and that you work overseas. You take this extension action during the last 30 days of any 90 day period at the local immigration office and both you and wife will have to attend.

Thank you Lopburi 3. I still have a question about the non immigration O. You said I can get it at consulate outside Thailand such as Penang. Is this a one year visa that each time I enter Thailand I can stay up to max 90 days? Then after one year, do I need to apply in Thai consulate outside Thailand again? Or I can apply extension in immigration in Bangkok at the end of the visa validity? and I need the proof of money at this time. Is this what you mean? Please explain again to me. Thank you.

You can apply for the multiple, valid for 1 year. This gives you 90 days' stay every time you arrive. Last entry just before expiry, anopther 90 days. That's why shown 15 months.

You also can ask for single (It's cheaper) which allows one entry, only and a stay of 90 days. During the last month apply for extension by reason of marriage (or, lopburi3 mentioned retirement, if 50 y.o.) at the immigration office, e.g. in Bangkok. Such extension requires to show the funds etc. and if granted will be for one year from date of entry.

If something is pending (or immigration busy :o ) you will receive a stamp showing that your application is under consideration and should come back to immigration after 1 month. This stamp is llike a one-month extension, can happen they give you another one month but finallyi will be 1 year, or what remains of it.

Subsequently, you can apply for annual extensions year by year, 30 days b4 expiry.

For docs required click above, top left corner, Thaivisa.com

Will just add that you have the money so I would suggest you just obtain a single entry O visa using marriage certificate/copy of wife id card and perhaps a note from her that you live together (not usually required or you could take wife with you for the trip). Then between 60-80 days later make application for extension based on support Thai wife. It only costs 1,900 baht each year (plus re-entry permit fees if you travel) so is not expensive.

Axel gave time frame outside Bangkok. In Bangkok the first extension stamp is normally about 40-45 days and you should receive final stamp on that next visit.

You should time this for a period when you will normally be in Thailand as the renewal date will be the day before your O visa entry each year and each year requires the 40-45 day wait for final stamp. You can travel with re-entry permit but must be back on that date unless you have made arrangements beforehand.

Thank you again Axel and Lopburi. I understand the options now. I think I will apply for a one-year multiple O in Malaysia. Because I don't think I will ever stay over 90 days each time in Thailand. I look up the prices for the visa, and it's 125 USD or about 5000 bahts for one-year multiple O. And it's 50 USD or 2000 bahts for a single-entry O of 90 days.

If I apply for the single entry of 90 days and then extend for the 1 year in Bangkok, the cost is 1900 bahts for the visa extension but then each time I leave Thailand I will have to buy a re-entry permit of 1000 bahts or 1 year multiple re-entry of 3800 bahts. Say if I pay for the 1900 extension and then buy the one year multiple re-entry, it will be 5700 bahts, which is more expensive than just getting a one-year multiple O. And no worry of re-entry permits.

Am I all correct above? So basically I will have to go to Malaysia or Thai embassy in other countries each year to get another new multiple O based on marriage. please correct me if I am mistaken something.

Thank you again Axel and Lopburi. I understand the options now. I think I will apply for a one-year multiple O in Malaysia. Because I don't think I will ever stay over 90 days each time in Thailand. I look up the prices for the visa, and it's 125 USD or about 5000 bahts for one-year multiple O. And it's 50 USD or 2000 bahts for a single-entry O of 90 days.

If I apply for the single entry of 90 days and then extend for the 1 year in Bangkok, the cost is 1900 bahts for the visa extension but then each time I leave Thailand I will have to buy a re-entry permit of 1000 bahts or 1 year multiple re-entry of 3800 bahts. Say if I pay for the 1900 extension and then buy the one year multiple re-entry, it will be 5700 bahts, which is more expensive than just getting a one-year multiple O. And no worry of re-entry permits.

Am I all correct above? So basically I will have to go to Malaysia or Thai embassy in other countries each year to get another new multiple O based on marriage. please correct me if I am mistaken something.

Yeah, it does work out slightly more expensive, AS, but surely not so much with a guy who has a million in the bank. :o It has to be said that if you go the multi route every year (for as long as they'll let you), this will not go towards an application for residency if that's where you're headed? For this, you need to have no less than three consecutive yearly extensions on your 'O' visa before you can apply.

Aloha!

Now I have a question or two on this topic as well.

Q Number one: The 1 Year Multiple Entry Visa on Marriage, does this mena I can travel in and out of the Country as often as I wish within the Validity date? I always (maybe falsely) supposed it is 4 Entries?

Q Number two: After taking some time rethinking my options to stay here in Thailand longer terms I finally decided to marry my long term GF.

Our plans are to marry mid February.

Right now I stay on the 2nd leg of a Two-Entiries Business Visa, obtained in Vienna on the grounds of investing / acquiring a business.

<i sm still interested in starting or buying a business, but it seems I will take more time to make final decisions. In the 5 month I live here now, my focus on what-to-do has changed quite often, and I do not want to make a possibly fatal decision based on not enough knowledge.

I have enough money in Europe to get me through the next 2 or 3 Years without working income, plus initial business investment, so I am not presseed to make a business decision right now.

My Entry expires End of January.

Now, my plan is to go to Pattaya Immigration a few days before expiry and ask for a 30 Day extension of my stay. Then go to the Amphur to register marriage, then to Penang to get either a 90 Day or 1 Year O Visa on marriage.

Extend this at some time with the 400000 Bt in Bank rule.

When it comes to starting a business, I have to go to an Embassy and change my Visa again, right? Or can I start a business and get a Work Permit on my 1 Year Marriage Visa? (If yes that would leave me more flexible I guess?)

Is it considered illegal to go through the process of acquiring and setting up a business while on a Marriage Visa? The whole process can well be considered working under Thai law, I guess.

In case I register my marriage within the validity period of my current Permission to stay, would it be possible to switch from Business Visa to one Year Marriage Visa with money in Bank without having to leave Thailand?

By the way, I am 48 Years now.

Sunny

Now, when

Multi O can be used for any number of trips.

This is not a totally reliable visa type as often it is limited or unavailable at some Consulates so that is another reason to extend for most people.

The O visa can be used to work or own a business so no change would be needed.

If you are under 50 you are expected to be employed, but if you remit from overseas that will be assumed to be income and that you work overseas.  You take this extension action during the last 30 days of any 90 day period at the local immigration office and both you and wife will have to attend.

Can you just clarify your statement above, please ! I am in my 30's, married to thai, and do not work, and live off my investments overseas. Are you saying that if the money comes in from my overseas bank account it counts the same as working overseas, and allow me to apply for an extension ?

If so, would it be sufficient just to deposit 400k in thai bank ?

If you are under 50 you are expected to be employed, but if you remit from overseas that will be assumed to be income and that you work overseas.  You take this extension action during the last 30 days of any 90 day period at the local immigration office and both you and wife will have to attend.

Can you just clarify your statement above, please ! I am in my 30's, married to thai, and do not work, and live off my investments overseas. Are you saying that if the money comes in from my overseas bank account it counts the same as working overseas, and allow me to apply for an extension ?

Do not believe you would have any problem getting an extension. Nobody is interested in what your employment is if outside of Thailand and the money will be considered evidence you are employed. Your work is your investments.

Do not believe you would have any problem getting an extension. Nobody is interested in what your employment is if outside of Thailand and the money will be considered evidence you are employed. Your work is your investments.

lopburi, Thanks !!