New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

The visa I got in January this year was living with my Thai child and no income proof was necessary. I actually got it at Suan Phlu though I live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

I am working offshore in New Zealand for another 18 months and from what I read it seems as though I will have to go to Tak to renew it.

Unless I missed it somwhere it look as though this option is no longer available.

Can anyone please confirm that I can still do this or will I need to apply as a married man again and show the 40K baht?

I am able to do this as I have pensions which help a lot as well but as most people would I like the cheapest way of doing things.

To get a letter confirming my pensions I would have to travel to the British embassy in BKK, stay over night and then come back home, then go to Tak which all adds to the costs and frustrations (mainly with the Embassy).

Cheers

The 0 income option is gone.

You will have to prove income by way of the embassy letter. You can do your letter by mail according to posts that I have seen plus info on embassy website. Unless you can put 400,000 in the bank 60 days before the day you make the application.

You definitly will have to go to the your local immigration office because Bangkok has been turning people away and telling them to go to a local office.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, not sure if i should ask this here. I'm a Singaporean working here and my work permit will be renew next Feb. But the mention min salary a singaporean should get doesnt really match what i'm suppose to get which is below 45K baht.

What should i do to inform this news to my small boss as he's rather stingly on salary wise then my Big boss. Will i be able to get a back pay when i renew my permit with min salary met?

Yes. No.5. One of the parents must have the money.

No. 6 is for having a Thai Wife.

He appears to have a choice of reasons to extend.

For his Son the money/income can be his OR his wife's

For a Wife the money/income must be HIS.

That is exactly how I read it.

Those under 50, married and with children have a choice of extension reasons, which makes this revision much more friendly to those in that group.

Will be interesting to get some field reports back on this.

The visa I got in January this year was living with my Thai child and no income proof was necessary. I actually got it at Suan Phlu though I live 65 km southwest of Khampaeng Phet.

I am working offshore in New Zealand for another 18 months and from what I read it seems as though I will have to go to Tak to renew it.

Unless I missed it somwhere it look as though this option is no longer available.

Can anyone please confirm that I can still do this or will I need to apply as a married man again and show the 40K baht?

I am able to do this as I have pensions which help a lot as well but as most people would I like the cheapest way of doing things.

To get a letter confirming my pensions I would have to travel to the British embassy in BKK, stay over night and then come back home, then go to Tak which all adds to the costs and frustrations (mainly with the Embassy).

Cheers

You will have to prove income by way of the embassy letter. You can do your letter by mail according to posts that I have seen plus info on embassy website. Unless you can put 400,000 in the bank 60 days before the day you make the application.

You definitly will have to go to the your local immigration office because Bangkok has been turning people away and telling them to go to a local office.

According to 2 different immigration lawyers I contacted regarding my case I was informed this will apply only for new applications. In my case I was granted a child support visa a few years ago. You must have full parental power. If your extension was granted a few years ago then you are not affected by this new financial requirements. Child support visa extensions will be granted or not after a very long and very detailed interview (1-3 hours) of the child's mother by a senior immigration officer and the outcome is depending on his opinion! Its a case to case matter. I am now wondering who is giving the correct information someone can rely on.

Edited by webfact

According to 2 different immigration lawyers I contacted regarding my case I was informed this will apply only for new applications. In my case I was granted a child support visa a few years ago. You must have full parental power. If your extension was granted a few years ago then you are not affected by this new financial requirements. Child support visa extensions will be granted or not after a very long and very detailed interview (1-3 hours) of the child's mother by a senior immigration officer and the outcome is depending on his opinion! Its a case to case matter. I am now wondering who is giving the correct information someone can rely on.

What documents do they require ? Will I also have to take my kids out of school for an interview ??? Any advise much appreciated since i will be going to apply this coming week.

In my opinion this is a big improvement for Men with Thai Wives.

agreed

i'm thrilled to bits, no more border runs for me. however, these rules seem to change every couple of months, who's to say how long this set will last!

They seem to be on 2 year cycles. Its been done 04, 06 and now 08.

The changes help some but will hurt others.

Cheers

There is no mention of Grandfather clauses in the new Police Order. Only an unclear statement that the Officer can use his discretion with regard to previous applicants. So we are all in the dark at the moment.

Cheers

It does look as though you will have to show 40,000 monthly income. OR 400,000 in the bank.

Being honest they never liked issuing that extension anyway so they are not going to be too sympathetic.

Rats

Still I am coming home next week and I think I will have to zoom up to Tak with my wife and son to talk to the immigration guys there.

I also have a salary coming in from NZ so if I HAVE to got to the UK Embassy I might as well pop into the NZ Embassy on the same day.

I am really looking forward to coming home as I have not seen my wife and son for 6 months. :o:D :D :D :D

My 1 yr multiple entry non-B visa with the last 90days visa run will expire on March 10.(I got 14.5 months out of it)

What is the latest date before March 10, I can apply for extension based on marriage? Is it 21 days or less?

This 400,000baht have to be in the bank 60 days before the application for extension and has to stay there for how long?

I have my funds abroad in EUR/USD.

Can I open a foreign currency account at SCB or Kasikorn (I have baht account with these 2 banks) and transfer the money in EUR/USD?

Some posting said that even if I transfer USD to a Thai bank USD account, the Thai bank exchange USD to baht, then baht to USD before crediting my account for USD. That is 2 exchange rate loss + the Swift wiring fees. I also prefer not to keep 400,000baht in a Thai bank for months. a.) the baht is expected to weaken continuously b.) poor interest rates given by Thai banks

Does immigration accept the equivalent of 400,000baht in foreign currency in a Thai bank?

Can I transfer this 400,000baht worth of foreign currency out of Thailand to my bank where it came from, after I got my extension?

I get better interest rates and my money is safer abroad, than in Thailand.

My soon to be wife (in January 2009) earns 40,000baht/month and I get variable amounts monthly as well, we don't need to use this 400,000baht for our living expenses.

Let's say I get a job within the next 2 months in Thailand with 40,000baht salary or more, does immigration accept a recently accquired job for the 1 year extension? I have Thai tax ID and I have worked 9 months this year officially. My work permit expired and I don't work now. My fiancee and me paid taxes separately on over 480,000baht joint income for 2008. We will get married in January.

What happens if I transfer 400,000baht a month before my application for extension? Will immigration give me another 30 days for consideration time after March 10?

Thanks for your input. I'm trying to evaluate all my options.

What is the latest date before March 10, I can apply for extension based on marriage? Is it 21 days or less?

Within the last 30 days.

This 400,000baht have to be in the bank 60 days before the application for extension and has to stay there for how long?

Once you have your extension you can start spending it. But will have to do the same next year.

Can I open a foreign currency account at SCB or Kasikorn (I have baht account with these 2 banks) and transfer the money in EUR/USD?

Some Immigration Offices accept this , some do not.

Can I transfer this 400,000baht worth of foreign currency out of Thailand to my bank where it came from, after I got my extension?

Up to you , but they will look at your bank book to see evidence of how you can support you and your Wife.

My soon to be wife (in January 2009) earns 40,000baht/month and I get variable amounts monthly as well, we don't need to use this 400,000baht for our living expenses.

As I said they will want to see evidence of you supporting you and the Wife. The rule says it has to be the man's money so who knows what they will swing?

Can the income still be a combined one (part husband part wife)?

Alternatively can the Bank deposit (>400K) be in a combined account or does it have to be for one individual only?

opalhort

Yes. No.5. One of the parents must have the money.

No. 6 is for having a Thai Wife.

He appears to have a choice of reasons to extend.

For a Wife the money/income must be HIS.

That is exactly how I read it.

Those under 50, married and with children have a choice of extension reasons, which makes this revision much more friendly to those in that group.

Will be interesting to get some field reports back on this.

Will be very interesting indeed !

Seems though if it is how it seems how we should follow the script , the revision is more

friendly and nothing in regard for people having a thai family and already being on extension ,

based on wife technically taking care of the foreign husband , has changed .

But for the first extensions the options are more , so that absolutely is a positive .

God forbid it if the seperate immigration offices will have there own interpretations again .....

Can the income still be a combined one (part husband part wife)?

Alternatively can the Bank deposit (>400K) be in a combined account or does it have to be for one individual only?

opalhort

The actual wording says. "One of the parents". So make what you can out of that. :o

My 1 yr multiple entry non-B visa with the last 90days visa run will expire on March 10.(I got 14.5 months out of it)

Some posting said that even if I transfer USD to a Thai bank USD account, the Thai bank exchange USD to baht, then baht to USD before crediting my account for USD. That is 2 exchange rate loss + the Swift wiring fees. I also prefer not to keep 400,000baht in a Thai bank for months. a.) the baht is expected to weaken continuously b.) poor interest rates given by Thai banks

Does immigration accept the equivalent of 400,000baht in foreign currency in a Thai bank?

I get better interest rates and my money is safer abroad, than in Thailand.

Let's say I get a job within the next 2 months in Thailand with 40,000baht salary or more, does immigration accept a recently accquired job for the 1 year extension? I have Thai tax ID and I have worked 9 months this year officially. My work permit expired and I don't work now. My fiancee and me paid taxes separately on over 480,000baht joint income for 2008. We will get married in January.

What happens if I transfer 400,000baht a month before my application for extension? Will immigration give me another 30 days for consideration time after March 10?

Thanks for your input. I'm trying to evaluate all my options.

Suggest you do the extension before the 21 days. You need the money to be in the bank 60 days before date of application. They will not iinclude the 30 day wait in that period.

I have seen reports that some immigration offices will accept forign currency accounts in a Thai bank for retirement extensions with a letter from the bank stating the amount in Baht that is in the account. Not sure they would accept them for a marriage extension. You should ask the immigration office where you are going to apply this question. After you get your extension approved you can do what ever you want with the money.

If you get a job and can show tax payments they would accept that.

Hold on a second, I'm completely confused now!!

Hi all, I've read all the entries for this "New Regulations" (well almost, all of them!) but am still confused. Can you help?

I arrived from Cambodia at the Thai border overland on a UK passport and got my 30 day stamp that keeps me going until 12th December 2008 - however, now, I was going to go overland to Laos for a border run, but when I come back will I only get 15 days? I did not apply for a Visa before leaving and do not have one, I just got my stamp at the Cambodian border when I walked through into Thailand!

Would be grateful if someone could let me know if I am part of all this, Visa, No Visa, No Immigrant bunch etc etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi all, I've read all the entries for this "New Regulations" (well almost, all of them!) but am still confused. Can you help?

I arrived from Cambodia at the Thai border overland on a UK passport and got my 30 day stamp that keeps me going until 12th December 2008 - however, now, I was going to go overland to Laos for a border run, but when I come back will I only get 15 days? I did not apply for a Visa before leaving and do not have one, I just got my stamp at the Cambodian border when I walked through into Thailand!

Would be grateful if someone could let me know if I am part of all this, Visa, No Visa, No Immigrant bunch etc etc.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, you'll only get 15 days.

Go to Vientiane and get a tourist visa.

A double entry from Vientiane can keep you in Thailand 180 days (one border run)

Cheers,

Steve

You got onto the wrong topic for the info you were looking for.

From the information available at this moment you will only get 15 days.

You might want to consider getting a tourist visa while you are in Laos.

I have a question regarding this section:

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be

granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

This would seem to imply that having a child in Thailand is now a valid reason for receiving a visa, I was under the impression that this practice had changed a while back and having a child was not considered a reason to grant a visa for people under the age of 50, has this now changed?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by mac.wheeler

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, you'll only get 15 days.

Go to Vientiane and get a tourist visa.

A double entry from Vientiane can keep you in Thailand 180 days (one border run)

OK Nice one, thanks. Is there any way of getting a tourist Visa in Chiang Mai and do you know roughly how much it should cost? Also, as I've already been here for 30 days will that affect the length of my tourist visa, or will it just be 60 days from scratch??

Thanks again,

Steve

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse): Permission will be

This would seem to imply that having a child in Thailand is now a valid reason for receiving a visa, I was under the impression that this practice had changed a while back and having a child was not considered a reason to grant a visa for people under the age of 50, has this now changed?

Thanks in advance.

It has always been there but the way most immigration offices interpreted it was that you had to be over fifty to get it. Also the clause did not set any income requirement.

Now they have made it more clear and put in the income requirement.

The over 50 fifty requirement is gone.

OK Nice one, thanks. Is there any way of getting a tourist Visa in Chiang Mai and do you know roughly how much it should cost? Also, as I've already been here for 30 days will that affect the length of my tourist visa, or will it just be 60 days from scratch??

Thanks again,

Steve

You will have to go to Vientiene Laos.

Single Tourist Visa 1,000 Baht.

Double Entry 2,000 Baht.

Loads of info. here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Vientiane-La...sa-t158561.html

Thanks in advance.

It has always been there but the way most immigration offices interpreted it was that you had to be over fifty to get it. Also the clause did not set any income requirement.

This is excellent news. thanks.

I do have a further questing though regarding the 40k income.

If I decide to use my own income (as opposed to the child's mother) to prove the 40k baht a month, how is this income defined? I can definitely prove that I have over 40k baht being transfered into my Thai bank account each month, but does the income need to be "taxable" income or will funds being transfered into Thailand from the UK suffice?

Edited by mac.wheeler

Thanks in advance.

If I decide to use my own income (as opposed to the child's mother) to prove the 40k baht a month, how is this income defined? I can definitely prove that I have over 40k baht being transfered into my Thai bank account each month, but does the income need to be "taxable" income or will funds being transfered into Thailand from the UK suffice?

You need to get a letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok every year verifying your income.

Thanks in advance.

You need to get a letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok every year verifying your income.

So I go along to the embassy, take my Thai bank book which shows all the incoming funds, and they give me a letter? Or am I missing something, as this seems to be far too easy!

So I go along to the embassy, take my Thai bank book which shows all the incoming funds, and they give me a letter? Or am I missing something, as this seems to be far too easy!

You are missing something. They will require proof of income.

Wage slips, Pension statements, Interest from investments. That sort of thing.

If you have it just put the 400,000 in the bank. Easier.

Hmm... I have a residual income which trickles in throughout the month, never the same amount each month, never at exactly the same times and seldom from the same source, this might prove tricky to prove? I can definitely show the money coming into Thailand and I can prove where the transfers came from, I have a feeling this won't be enough for them though.

As for the 400k in one lump, I would rather leave my major cash outside of Thailand, and leave it working for me.

Hmm... I have a residual income which trickles in throughout the month, never the same amount each month, never at exactly the same times and seldom from the same source, this might prove tricky to prove? I can definitely show the money coming into Thailand and I can prove where the transfers came from, I have a feeling this won't be enough for them though.

As for the 400k in one lump, I would rather leave my major cash outside of Thailand, and leave it working for me.

The income can be 12 months averaging out to 40,000 a month.

You can always ring or E Mail the Embassy and ask.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ng-in-thailand/

the often mentioned 400k baht must be on foreigners name? lately again some bank dont want to open account to me, like Bangkok Bank, where I had an account from 2002 opened in Jomtien, and would like last week to open a new near by in Bang Yai, they refused!!, citing some regulation changes.

also, if it might be family account, that 400k might include securities?

and again, if it is on wife's name, does it count? after all, being a 'normal' family, we share things. but maybe a dream, not in thais eyes, where i always feel we are kind a second class, just because married to a thai. even worse, marriage made my wife second class citizen too, so, it seems.

the often mentioned 400k baht must be on foreigners name? lately again some bank dont want to open account to me, like Bangkok Bank, where I had an account from 2002 opened in Jomtien, and would like last week to open a new near by in Bang Yai, they refused!!, citing some regulation changes.

also, if it might be family account, that 400k might include securities?

and again, if it is on wife's name, does it count? after all, being a 'normal' family, we share things. but maybe a dream, not in thais eyes, where i always feel we are kind a second class, just because married to a thai. even worse, marriage made my wife second class citizen too, so, it seems.

You just have to keep trying different banks and different branches of the same bank. I have never had any good experiences with Bangkok Bank.

It wlll depend upon the immigration office where you go wheter they will accept a joint account or not for the 400K option which has to be in the bank for 60 days. I don't think securities will work. A term account (CD) will work but you might have to show them another account where you have deposits and withdrawls.

A agree with you that it would not make any since that they would not accept a joint account since you are married. But for retirement visas they will not take them and say that if you have a joint account that you need double the amount in the bank which in this case would be 800K.

Edited by ubonjoe