New Regulations For Extensions Of Non-immigrant Visas

Opalhort, I am in the same situation (over minimum) and in high interest joint a/c with wife. But I am not grandfathered. I don't have a current w/permit, only a Non Imm B multi entry visa. How can I open a new account and transfer funds with no w/p?

Edited by jamesjdaly

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opalhort, I am in the same situation (over minimum) and in high interest joint a/c with wife. But I am not grandfathered. I don't have a current w/permit, only a Non Imm B multi entry visa. How can I open a new account and transfer funds with no w/p?

You do not need a work permit to open a bank account. Some branches will tell you that you do. Just ask around.

Where your account is at the moment should give you one.

Plenty of Retirees have bank accounts.

Thanks LB. Both you and Ubonjoe have been a great help to me about applying for a Non Imm year's extension. Since the law was changed on 25 November allowing the B400K again, I am finding out new hurdles to jump over everyday.

* Can the a/c be a high interest or must it be savings?

* Joint a/c or applicant's name only?

* Does it have to come from overseas?

WHY CAN'T THESE FUGGERS IN IMMIGRATION GIVE CLEAR CUT ANSWERS AND GUIDELINES IN BLACK & WHITE EITHER BY PHONE, WEBSITE OR FROM A SENIOR OFFICER AT SUAN PLU???"!!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

Thanks LB. Both you and Ubonjoe have been a great help to me about applying for a Non Imm year's extension. Since the law was changed on 25 November allowing the B400K again, I am finding out new hurdles to jump over.

*Can the a/c be a high interest or must it be savings?

* Joint a/c or applicant's name only?

WHY CAN'T THESE FUGGERS IN IMMIGRATION GIVE CLEAR CUT ANSWERS AND GUIDELINES IN BLACK & WHITE EITHER BY PHONE, WEBSITE OR FROM A SENIOR OFFICER AT SUAN PLU???"!!!

It can be in a high interest account from info in posts from people that are on a retirement visa.

But you may need to show an account that has some activity along with it.

Applicants name only is what we are seeing now in reports.

Try sending a message to immigration via this comments page on the immigration website maybe you can get some answers.

Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=comment

Try sending a message to immigration...maybe you can get some answers.

:D:D:D

Good one, Joe!! Never knew you were a comic!!

And every different Immigration Office will give you a different answer. :o

It was just a suggestion.

:P I will just laugh with you. :D:wai:

Okay you bunch of skeptics. I just sent a comment via the link I posted. I posted the following questions with the subject about selected as extend your stay.

Police order 777/2551 Clause 2.18

(5) Does this apply if a married couple has children and permit the mother to show income or a deposit in the bank instead of the father as stated in (6)?

(6) Can the funds in the bank be in an account that is held jointly by the husband and wife?

Can the funds be in a fixed term account instead of a normal savings account?

Can the funds be in a foreign currency account at a Thai bank?

Can an applicant that has foreign income declare that income and pay taxes at the Revenue Department and use this as proof of income without having a work permit?

Will those who were on extensions under the previous police order and were allowed to use a combined income or the income of the Thai wife be able to do so when they make their next application?

Now it is just wait and see what they say. But it will be next week before anybody reads it.

Okay you bunch of skeptics. I just sent a comment via the link I posted. I posted the following questions with the subject about selected as extend your stay.

slightly off-topic question:

when contacting Imm via link above is it helpful or harmful to sign with full name, PP and TM6 number?

Since I'm an optimist I'll give it a try next week when they are back in business.

opalhort

I don't think it would make much difference if you gave them the additional info.

I wasn't busy this morning so I wrote it up and sent it this morning.

I guess the more questions they get the more they will pay attention to the problem or at least have the answers ready.

:o You're doin a good job!!

I try.

You asked about opening an account. Here is some info I found on the Bangkok bank website.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...nk+Accounts.htm

It mentions a work permit but you don't have to have it. A residence certificate is mentioned which you can get from immigration. Also a letter of recomendation. One of those listed is a bank customer so I wonder if that could be you wife. There is form letter you can download also.

If they do it that way I would think others would also.

Okay you bunch of skeptics. I just sent a comment via the link I posted.

Now it is just wait and see what they say. But it will be next week before anybody reads it.

Good of you to do this experiment. My bet is that you won’t get a reply by January 15, 2009, if ever, but it's useful to test their feedback service once in a while.

--

Maestro

Okay you bunch of skeptics. I just sent a comment via the link I posted.

Good of you to do this experiment. My bet is that you won't get a reply by January 15, 2009, if ever, but it's useful to test their feedback service once in a while.

--

Maestro

:o How many.

:o How many.

Delivery would be the problem, but if you have a pre-paid DTAC mobile number let’s make the bet 200 Baht credit to be transferred to the winner’s number. My bet is that you will not get a written reply (email or other) by midnight on January 15, 2009.

--

Maestro

:D How many.

Delivery would be the problem, but if you have a pre-paid DTAC mobile number let's make the bet 200 Baht credit to be transferred to the winner's number. My bet is that you will not get a written reply (email or other) by midnight on January 15, 2009.

--

Maestro

No DTAC it doesn't work where I live only AIS does. How about if we just kept it on accounrt for the furture if we have a chance to meet. 200 baht is about 5 large Leo's at the store. :o

Agreed.

Incidentally, lest there be any doubt, I very much hope to lose this bet, because it would give proof that the comments function on the website of the Immigration Bureau can be used to obtain written clarification about the implementation of immigration and extension rules.

--

Maestro

From Sunbelt

In the case of joint accounts the government office said it must be 800,000 Baht as it is divided by two in order to match the sum of 400,000 Baht. The most trouble people experience is that

the money in the bank account does not match the period it must be in the bank or that the bank documents are older than 7 days.

From Sunbelt

In the case of joint accounts the government office said it must be 800,000 Baht as it is divided by two in order to match the sum of 400,000 Baht. The most trouble people experience is that

the money in the bank account does not match the period it must be in the bank or that the bank documents are older than 7 days.

This sounds somehow strange to me.

Why should it be now 800K if the account is a combined one?

Note: I'm talking about married to Thai national, been using the combined account deposit for many years without problems.

Seasoning of funds is no problem since the account has never gone below the required 400K.

opalhort

^^^

If they would only give us clear cut guidelines as to what will be accepted and what will be refused!!!

But then again, that's too easy!! Let Somchai fumble, stammer and thrash his way through the quagmire that is Thai bureaucracy.

Edited by jamesjdaly

^^^

If they would only give us clear cut guidelines as to what will be accepted and what will be refused!!!

But then again, that's too easy!! Let Somchai fumble, stammer and thrash his way through the quagmire that is Thai bureaucracy.

I agree it would be so nice if they did that. And one that is followed by every immigration office.

The new police order does not even have a documents required list for each clause. So who knows what some office might come up with for the documentation.

By the way no reply from immigration yet.

Joe

Just posted this to the link provided above:

"Dear Sir,

I do have a question regarding the new Immigration rules 777/2551 which have been enacted on

For the past 10 years I have been using a combined (my wife and me) fixed deposit bank account to

satisfy the requirements for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom of Thailand based on being

married to a Thai national.

Question: Can I still use a combined account or do I now have to have an account in my name only?

For your information, my personal details are as follows:

NAME: -info supplied in post to immigration-

Nationality: German

Passport Number: -info supplied in post to immigration-

TM.6 card: -info supplied in post to immigration-

Latest Immigration file reference number: -info supplied in post to immigration- (01.05.2008)

Current extension of stay permit valid until: 07.05.2009

We've been married for over 15 years and have a 14 year old son.

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Thank you and best regards

signed in my name"

Do you think I should hold my breath? I'm an optimist after all.

opalhort

My wife just went to the imm office today helping my mom

to get her retirement extension , which went very easy .

She looked over her shoulder and a couple who had children

together , just went for the 40k wifes income , seemed

like business as usual she said .

So there is still hope I guess , unfortunately they were extremely busy at Chiangmai imm today ,

so she didn't have the oppertunity to ask straight away , my mom was no questions asked , just stamp stamp

and that was it .....

Edited by tijnebijn

Was at Immigration on Friday and asked about a joint account. So, from the horse's (literally!!) you cannot apply for an extension based on marriage with a joint account.

So, solicitors are saying 'yes' and some old bint at Immigration says 'no'!! What a country. Organised chaos. :o

Edited by jamesjdaly

you cannot apply for an extension based on marriage with a joint account.

Which Imm office did you visit?

Any idea if this applies only to new applicants or also to people (like me) who have used a combined account for years?

I'm still waiting for a reply to my post to Imm. Have re-sent it yesterday.

Where can we obtain correct info in detail in this regard without having to march down to Suan Pluh or wait until the extension is due and take the gamble?

opalhort

Opalhort

Was at Suan Plu. I don't know if this was only to new or existing applicants. I am a new applicant, but then again, the IQ of imm officers is...................

.............I'll leave it to your imagination!! :o

Edited by Maestro
Non-English and grammatically wrong text deleted - Maestro

Parents of a Thai Child are eligible for a 12 month extension with 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 Monthly income. No mention of having to be 50 years old.

Has anyone succesfully done this yet in Bangkok?

I went down a bit back with all the needed bits and at the time they knew nothing about it.

TA.

Lodes

Parents of a Thai Child are eligible for a 12 month extension with 400,000 in the bank or 40,000 Monthly income. No mention of having to be 50 years old.

Has anyone succesfully done this yet in Bangkok?

I went down a bit back with all the needed bits and at the time they knew nothing about it.

TA.

Lodes

They know about it now I am sure.

Or just in case you could print out the Thai version of the police order and highlight 2.18 to show them.

Link: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70478-...7-2551.pdf.html

I suggest when you go that you take the childs mother with you and some photos to show that you are living together as a family.