Tourist Visa Questions

So, I've read extensively through the forums and the double entry tourist visa seems perfect for the trip I have planned (spending 5 months in SEA with about 3-4 of those in Thailand). Should also mention that I'm coming from the US.

However, I can't seem to find anything about this visa type on the Royal Thai Consulate General Visa and Passport Division website (http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa.htm).

The only tourist visa they have listed there is a single entry 60 day with 30 day extension possible.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Am I being dense?  Do I just need to put 2 in the number of entries requested on the form?  If I do this, will this actually allow me to stay 60 days per entry or 60 days total?

Reverti -

If you plan to enter thailand 2 times, then yes, enter a 2 in the box. This will cost you 2 x $25, or $50 when you apply for the multiple-entry visa.

You will be permitted to stay for 60 days per entry... and if you so wish, you may extend each entry by up to 30 days for a fee of 1900 baht (goto a thai immigration office, in thailand, to extend a visa).

Therefore, if so inclined, you can essentially stay in the LOS for 180 days. But remember... when your entry visa expires (60-day, or 90-day mark if you've had it extended), you must exit the country. Upon re-entering, you will begin utilizing your second 60-day entry visa.

I went thru this experience earlier this year. I exited the kingdom by going to Vientianne (Laos).

Good luck with your travels.

Reverti -

I forgot to mention something important concerning your entry visas. It is true that each entry-visa is valid for 60 days, and can be extended for 30 more days; however, should you leave Thailand anytime before the expiration of your entry visa, then you are essentially tossing it out. When you re-enter Thailand, you commence using the next entry-visa.

If this explanation is not clear, then picture the following scenario:

1. You enter Thailand... you start using entry-visa #1

2. One week later, you leave Thailand.

3. Same day, you re-enter Thailand... at this point, you start using entry-visa #2.

Under the scenario above, instead of having a max stay of 180 days, you would only be able to stay in the Thailand for 97 days ==> 1week + 60days + 30days (if extending entry-visa #2).

If you are planning many entries/exits, due to your travels in SEA, consider applying for more entry visas.

If you leave Thailand a week into your first 60 day stay you could beforehand apply for a re-entry permit when you then return you wont use the 2nd entry of your tourist visa but rather the re-entry permit which will cover you until the end of your original 60 day stay..........you then can exit Thailand and re-enter for another 60 day stay or apply for a 30 day extension within Thailand.

Reverti -

I forgot to mention something important concerning your entry visas.  It is true that each entry-visa is valid for 60 days, and can be extended for 30 more days; however, should you leave Thailand anytime before the expiration of your entry visa, then you are essentially tossing it out.  When you re-enter Thailand, you commence using the next entry-visa.

If this explanation is not clear, then picture the following scenario:

1.  You enter Thailand... you start using entry-visa #1

2.  One week later, you leave Thailand.

3.  Same day, you re-enter Thailand... at this point, you start using entry-visa #2.

Under the scenario above, instead of having a max stay of 180 days, you would only be able to stay in the Thailand for 97 days ==> 1week + 60days + 30days (if extending entry-visa #2).

If you are planning many entries/exits, due to your travels in SEA, consider applying for more entry visas.

Good point and will add that he can also apply for a re-entry permit prior to travel at a cost of 1,000 baht which would allow him one trip and re-enter on the same permission to stay stamp period. And many could get by with just the 30 day entry without visa.