Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have eaten f&c from the new Village Chippy. I was pleasantly surprised. I preferred their basic meal at B.120 for quite a generous portion. The fish used is John Dory, and I thought it better than their more expensive cod. The Chippy also serves a variety of pies. Give it a try!

There used to be a "Chippy" place in Jomtien Complex in a booth outside Hideaway, and I quite liked their fish. Is this place in The Village the same enterprise?

Sorry to derail the hijack of this thread, but there's a new Fish and Chip shop in The Village on Third Road. I haven't tried it yet, but heard from a Brit friend that it is good.

I have had good reports but also can not comment yet, as I haven't tried however prices do look cheaper than anywhere else.

Can you give more precise directions? Not familiar with The Village.

Update on Goose's. They changed their menu a bit. Now two choices for local fish and a slightly higher price for the local parrot fish, up to 225. One nit on Goose's. I have found their fish portions kind of small compared to other places, but have only tried the local fishes.

Jing

Go north up third road from the Pattaya Tai lights "The Village" is on your left and the Fire Station is on your right (New Hospital behind fire station) approx 600m The shop is about 20m inside the gate, it is really intended as a take away from what I can see with a couple of small tables outside.

Coming from Pattaya Thai going North the Village is on your right, and the Fire station is on your left.

Barry

Met some friends tonight and they had visited Goose's Monday night, said not many customers when they visited, he orders fish and chips with mush peas, large fish, and his wife ordered a baked potato. The fish and chips arrived and he was glad he had ordered the large fish, as a smallish portion of fish arrived, same with the serving of mushy peas but the chips were fine, homemade,and the fish was very greasy, someway through his meal he slowed down as his wife still had no food and queries were met with replies of wait, have to wait, he finished his meal and still no baked potato, staff then tell his wife mai mee!! I can only assume they used all the potatoes for chips, but ridiculous service being the place was quiet and for sure a place I now will never visit despite a few good recomendations. Also he said another diner, female, ordered the haddock but left most of it paid a bill of around 600 baht got up and left, obviously another dissatisfied customer.

OK, I have been there a number of times. Once or twice the fish has been too greasy, but usually it is fine. The chips are usually very good, but not always. I have mentioned the issue I have with their fish portion size and I agree their mushy pea portion size is too small. However, when the consistency is there, which I still think is USUALLY (which lets face it might even be better than average for Thailand) I have found the food very good, and quality is more important than quantity. You may want to try it one more time but I can't blame you if you don't!

OK, I have been there a number of times. Once or twice the fish has been too greasy, but usually it is fine. The chips are usually very good, but not always. I have mentioned the issue I have with their fish portion size and I agree their mushy pea portion size is too small. However, when the consistency is there, which I still think is USUALLY (which lets face it might even be better than average for Thailand) I have found the food very good, and quality is more important than quantity. You may want to try it one more time but I can't blame you if you don't!

I agree that quality is more important than quantity. At Goose's the portions are adequate and represent reasonable value when the quality is taken into account.

I was very satisfied with the quality of my fish and there were many other plates coming back empty.

One post deleted.

If something is not good then it is sufficient to say in your opinion it is not good and the service is not up to your expectations, no need for verbal abuse.

Pig & Whistle vs Village Chippy

I have eaten Fish and chips at both in the past couple of weeks and my take on both is they are at both ends of the scale both acceptable but very different.

Pig and Whistle. Very large (huge) portion of fish, no idea what kind but mild and delicious. Choice of bread crumbs or batter, chose bread crumbs which was a good decision, not overwhelmed with dough like the battered F&C. Great French Fries, large portion of mushy peas (could have had baby peas as alternate). The portion size was the size of a platter, reminded me of a side of shark. Price B225, soft drink B50 if I remember correctly. The tartar sauce was the best I ever had and no problems getting free refills. Traditional English pub atmosphere, tables and arm chairs. My rating give it a 5 star.

Village chippy, large size fish order (B120) would be medium at P&W, sufficient fries, mushy peas B25 extra and no tarter sauce, but soft drink was only B15, such a deal. I don't know what kind of fish I was served but it had the muddy flavor of talapia, edible but not a favorite of mine. Outdoor tables but under roof. Unfortunate I would rate it only 3.5 out of 5 but still very good value for the money and they deliver.

I am the organizer of the Frugal Freddy Monday dinner club at Pattaya City Expat club, we had a dinner at P&W a couple of weeks back with 31 members in attendance and everyone gave it 2 thumbs up and all said the will return and many have. The owners gave us the Friday night special price (B195) which all the members appreciated.

Unfortunately the Chippy is closed on Mondays and until they open on Mondays the group will not be able to evaluate them.

If any of the restaurant owner participating in this forum would like to invite our group to evaluate their restaurant on a Monday night please PM me.

Edited by bob4you

• 2 months later...

I have eaten Fish and chips at both in the past couple of weeks and my take on both is they are at both ends of the scale both acceptable but very different.

Pig and Whistle. Very large (huge) portion of fish, no idea what kind but mild and delicious. Choice of bread crumbs or batter, chose bread crumbs which was a good decision, not overwhelmed with dough like the battered F&C. Great French Fries, large portion of mushy peas (could have had baby peas as alternate). The portion size was the size of a platter, reminded me of a side of shark. Price B225, soft drink B50 if I remember correctly. The tartar sauce was the best I ever had and no problems getting free refills. Traditional English pub atmosphere, tables and arm chairs. My rating give it a 5 star.

Village chippy, large size fish order (B120) would be medium at P&W, sufficient fries, mushy peas B25 extra and no tarter sauce, but soft drink was only B15, such a deal. I don't know what kind of fish I was served but it had the muddy flavor of talapia, edible but not a favorite of mine. Outdoor tables but under roof. Unfortunate I would rate it only 3.5 out of 5 but still very good value for the money and they deliver.

I am the organizer of the Frugal Freddy Monday dinner club at Pattaya City Expat club, we had a dinner at P&W a couple of weeks back with 31 members in attendance and everyone gave it 2 thumbs up and all said the will return and many have. The owners gave us the Friday night special price (B195) which all the members appreciated.

Unfortunately the Chippy is closed on Mondays and until they open on Mondays the group will not be able to evaluate them.

If any of the restaurant owner participating in this forum would like to invite our group to evaluate their restaurant on a Monday night please PM me.

Yes F-c very nice in the pig and whistle

But total crap for the long In the tooth bar crowed there.:bah:

• 3 weeks later...

OK here is my review of the Jolly Friar Fish and Chips on Soi Lengkee.

Had the cod. It tasted cod-like, can't verify it was actual cod. Assuming it was frozen, how else could they serve cod from the Atlantic? Batter, tasty, a tad underdone in spots, a tad greasy in spots. Portion, good.

Chips. Thick cut British style. Tasted fine but arrived too SOGGY. Don't know if that is their intended style or a mistake.

Mushy peas. OK. Better than Goose's, not as good as Pigwhistles.

Tartar Sauce. Poor. Pickle scarce.

Pricing. Decent value. Every item is separate, the fish, the chips, etc. I find that a little annoying.

Overall. Pretty good. Some strengths, some weaknesses. I will probably go back.

Cheers.

The village chippy has to be the best value,Jolly Friar is OK but more expensive.

If both could be combined ie village chippy innards put into Jolly Friar with stainless steel serving counter,chairs and tables to make it eat in or take away,typical English chippy atmosphere it would be good. The two owners are not the best of friends I know,for a day or so I saw A board just around the corner of the village chippy on 3rd rd announcing the opening of the Jolly Friar..

The village chippy is not well located,hard to find,whereas the Jolly Friar is there for all to see

Still the village "chinky" opens soon Cantonese Chinese food,that should be good

Edited by jori

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that quality is more important than quantity. At Goose's the portions are adequate and represent reasonable value when the quality is taken into account.

I was very satisfied with the quality of my fish and there were many other plates coming back empty.

I LOVED Goose's F&C - the best I've had in Asia in 20 years with real, quality chips.

The Jolly Friar was cheaper, but the batter is too tough and the potatoes were mealy - not bad for Thailand though. I did think their grilled salmon was really good and inexpensive too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have eaten f&c from the new Village Chippy. I was pleasantly surprised. I preferred their basic meal at B.120 for quite a generous portion. The fish used is John Dory, and I thought it better than their more expensive cod. The Chippy also serves a variety of pies. Give it a try!

I tried The Village Chippy last night after returning from the UK for more than a year.

It was excellent I have to say.

The Staff speak English, The Place is spotless and just like a UK style Chippy.

I had the Large Fish and Chips (Dory) and my Colleague the Steak and Kidney pudding with Mash (Cream and Butter in it) and Garden Peas and Gravy.

First Class.

They also serve Asahi Draught Beer 50 Baht Half Pint and 90 Baht Pint very cold and crisp.

I had not heard of the village chippy before I read it on this thread.

They are doing a great job and apparently a UK Style Chinese Restaurant is opening next door soon and a Rooftop Wine Bar/Beer Bar called The Terrace.

Easy Parking and Quiet location for a Chippy but it was very busy.

I found their website with Map.

www.thevillagechippypattaya.com and facebook page also.

Good luck you guys you deserve it.

post-73896-008606300 1285752971_thumb.jp

post-73896-044373400 1285753002_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

Just to state I was at Goose's F&C last night and they are doing a Sunday Night special. A different dish every week.

Last night: Grilled Halibut with parsley sauce, mashed potatoes, snow peas, grilled cherry tomatoes and a side dish of cauliflower in cheese sauce (or as the American behind explained to his his Thai girlfriend when she asked what is was"Same same broccoli but name cauliflower" :blink: ). Baht 245 which I thought was great value.

&&& UPDATE &&&

August 2010

The Bowling Green on Soi Xzyte (Soi Drarin) off Soi Buckhaw is serving 'John Dory' Fish & Chips on a daily basis at 129 Baht.

I was there the other day: Recommended !!

wont be john dory at that price, more likely pacific dory from makro, which is actually vietnamese catfish!

very tasty all the same

• 2 months later...

I think the Village Chippy has gone downhill.

If you have HP sauce bottles on the table then they should contain HP sauce.

Today poured what I thought was HP over my chips, I knew immediately It wasn't HP as it was so thin 4 times as much as I wanted came out.

So now all 8 of my chips where covered in this sweet fruity not HP sauce sauce!

Also the bread was stale.

Also as I said only 8 chips.

Also they have put up their prices.

last visit for me,

I will now stick with the Jolly friar.

Edited by kevkev1888

B)pig and whistle was good at one time,but is now is not a good choice. :whistling:

My current favorite is the Jolly Friar. I agree both the Village and Pig Whiz have seen better days. I also like Goose's but have always had an issue with their fish portion sizes. I can't comment on Simon's Fish & Chips Jomtien :redcard2: .

Edited by Jingthing

Udonthani might be a little too far for you,but I hear Steve from the original "Steves Bar" & later the "Irish Clock" has opened a Fish and Chip Shop,latest reports are they are excellent,give it a try if you are down that way,near the Irish Clock,or even next door.

Edited by MAJIC

Personally I've always thought it's a crime to be shipping food half way round the world when there's perfectly good local alternatives. Nobody in Pattaya needs North Atlantic cod or haddock that badly.

How many of you know that there are seafood producers in Scotland who freeze North Sea prawns and ship them round to Thailand. Here they are hand shelled by migrant workers from Burma and Cambodia working for slave wages before being made into scampi. They then get shipped back to Europe on one of those container ships you see going past in the bay. The difference in labour costs and the relatively low cost of shipping makes this commercially viable. But it's hardly a desirable state of affairs, is it?

Agree in part to your post

yes, they have been shipping prawns to thailand for at least a couple years and not just for scampi, also returned and sold as peeled prawns, but if there is north sea caught fish such as haddock or cod available here then why not eat them if we enjoy, after all its the UK fishermen who work hard in the north sea to catch them that are suffering financially and I for one am delighted that those fish are being marketed in various parts of the world.....

back to oringinal posting

and to SYD,,,, yes mate, have tried some of the other recomended resteraunts goose etc since my earlier post... and yes all better than simon's ,,, eating humble pie now ,,, hehehehe

Hard to figure this Export Business,Thailand has a huge market, shipping freshwater Prawns to Europe. Beats me where the profits are, could be as silly as Refridgerated Ships passing each other at Sea going in opposite directions.

Must be down to supply and demand?

Edited by MAJIC

Is "Schnapper" sometimes called "Sea Bream" available at any of the mentioned establishments?

Schnapper, commonly available in Australia, has a slightly firmer texture than the types generally found in Thailand which I find too soft.

Schnapper also supposedly has a very high Omega 3 content which is supposedly good for you?

Edited by fishhooks

My current favorite is the Jolly Friar. I agree both the Village and Pig Whiz have seen better days. I also like Goose's but have always had an issue with their fish portion sizes. I can't comment on Simon's Fish & Chips Jomtien :redcard2: .

i agree Jing, i have been there a few times and its always consistently good

i love their battered fatboy sausages with mushy peas

fish is pretty good too with no size issues

I think the Village Chippy has gone downhill.

If you have HP sauce bottles on the table then they should contain HP sauce.

Today poured what I thought was HP over my chips, I knew immediately It wasn't HP as it was so thin 4 times as much as I wanted came out.

So now all 8 of my chips where covered in this sweet fruity not HP sauce sauce!

Also the bread was stale.

Also as I said only 8 chips.

Also they have put up their prices.

The Chippy may have gone downhill on its other dishes but for B95 the medium fish & chips is a good deal. I had it twice the past week and excellent both times.