Australians In Thailand (ait) Expat Club

BKKRICK

I came across the Australians in Thailand (AIT) club on the Australian Consulate website. They are based in Bangkok apparently, and have 80 members.

I Had a look at their website. Looks like it may be something I would be interested in joining so as to meet fellow Aussies. I see that they have an Australian Day Gala dinner coming up at some swish hotel on Australian Day, but at 3000baht, it is way to expensive for me.

Has anyone had any experience with AIT, are all their meeting events so highly priced? If so, this would definately put me off.

If anyone has any feedback, would be greatful?

hey old mate...im sorry i havent got any info about the club but i couldnt resist the temptation to have a friendly ozzie to ozzie S***stirr.I see you arc up at the thought of paying 3000 baht for the aussie day function but i noticed another thread where you talk about how you got stung 3000 for a couple of hours on the ran tan chasin thai skirt.haha.

Sorry just couldnt help that!

Actually id love to come and have a beer and a yak with you as ive been here nearly two months and have tread your steps already,but i cant afford it and have been off the grog totally for three weeks.Im actually glad i never found any aussies to run amuck with as i managed to somehow spend AU$2500 in my first three weeks here...and christ knows how much it would have been with the help of fellow aussies!

Your turn to laugh at me...ive been repeatedly ripped off,shouted countless beers to thai pissheads as well as getting myself pissed every night,had lots of massages, shouted many dinners and basically spent,spent,spent mostly on every b..tard except myself..and at one stage i think i might have even been pickpocketed.I laughed it off at first but now i am biding my time at a 4500 baht a month hotel in the suburbs until i go to laos next week.

Take it from me, you might wanna come home from the party or before you know it you'll be as dazed and confused as a headcount in a tasmanian shearin shed!!!

I came across the Australians in Thailand (AIT) club on the Australian Consulate website. They are based in Bangkok apparently, and have 80 members.

I Had a look at their website. Looks like it may be something I would be interested in joining so as to meet fellow Aussies. I see that they have an Australian Day Gala dinner coming up at some swish hotel on Australian Day, but at 3000baht, it is way to expensive for me.

Has anyone had any experience with AIT, are all their meeting events so highly priced? If so, this would definately put me off.

hey old mate...im sorry i havent got any info about the club but i couldnt resist the temptation to have a friendly ozzie to ozzie S***stirr.I see you arc up at the thought of paying 3000 baht for the aussie day function but i noticed another thread where you talk about how you got stung 3000 for a couple of hours on the ran tan chasin thai skirt.haha.

Actually id love to come and have a beer and a yak with you as ive been here nearly two months and have tread your steps already,but i cant afford it and have been off the grog totally for three weeks.Im actually glad i never found any aussies to run amuck with as i managed to somehow spend AU$2500 in my first three weeks here...and christ knows how much it would have been with the help of fellow aussies!

Your turn to laugh at me...ive been repeatedly ripped off,shouted countless beers to thai pissheads as well as getting myself pissed every night,had lots of massages, shouted many dinners and basically spent,spent,spent mostly on every b..tard except myself..and at one stage i think i might have even been pickpocketed.I laughed it off at first but now i am biding my time at a 4500 baht a month hotel in the suburbs until i go to laos next week.

Take it from me, you might wanna come home from the party or before you know it you'll be as dazed and confused as a headcount in a tasmanian shearin shed!!!

The Aussie Expats thing may be ok.

Maybe I would be a member too,apart from the fact we have dropped 36% in exchange rate in 5 months.

Can't see too many Aussies moving here permanently.

Cant believe you guys...Is this is fair dinkum?

BKKRick

Youve 2 posts desperately looking to meet Austalians when youve only been away for 5 minutes, now i can understand you may miss some Aussie food and Aussie sports and maybe your mother, but why would you want to travel 1000s of miles only to hang out with people from your own country, maybe try mixing with other nationalities they wont hurt you.

BKKRick

Youve 2 posts desperately looking to meet Austalians when youve only been away for 5 minutes, now i can understand you may miss some Aussie food and Aussie sports and maybe your mother, but why would you want to travel 1000s of miles only to hang out with people from your own country, maybe try mixing with other nationalities they wont hurt you.

exactly I WOULD STAY IN AUSTRALIA IF I WANTED TO BE WITH AUSSIES

The Aussie Expats thing may be ok.

Maybe I would be a member too,apart from the fact we have dropped 36% in exchange rate in 5 months.

Can't see too many Aussies moving here permanently.

Cant believe you guys...Is this is fair dinkum?

well what can i say..what i wrote is the truth..to right mate fair dinkum,now look i wouldnt tell a fib.

As for the mooving issue...If you are getting income from a rental property in Australia at the moment (with low interest rates) you are getting good value (if you dont have huge debts of course) so theoretically you shouldnt be in to bad shape considering the difference in the cost of living...even if you only get 20 baht per au$

I plan to ride out the so-called oncoming financial crisis over here or in a nearby S.E Asia country where visa rules arent so full-on.Getting exchange of around 22-23 baht per $AU is not as good as months ago but on the other hand the baht is falling too,and with the bad tourism predictions it might go lower and offset the aussie dollar losses..lets just hope the experts back home are wrong in predicting a 0.50 aussie dollar soon

BKKRick

I can understand both your points...but maybe our Aussie mate has been reading the threads about the quality of foriegners in Pattaya!..rayong never looked better

BKKRick

Good Advice, have met some nice people from the US and Canada of late. Just not too keen on mixing with Thais on a social level. If truth be told I find them to be extremely boring and uninteresting. As for only been away for 5 mins. Well 1/2 correct. Have only been in Thailand for a couple of weeks, but have just spent 5 year working on an oil rig off the coast of Malaysia. Most of my previous R&R was spent in Cebu.

BKKRick

Up to you. Your choice. I would probably stay in Australia if I wanted to meet Aussies like you however.

Good Advice, have met some nice people from the US and Canada of late. Just not too keen on mixing with Thais on a social level. If truth be told I find them to be extremely boring and uninteresting.

Fair play i dont mix with Thai males (or too many females), apart from talking the international language of football or women with the odd one, just usually go to random bars and latch on to the local drunk and become his best mate for the night wherever theyre from, a good way of meeting all sorts of weird and wonderful people.

The bar opposite nana Plaza is a good one (golden bar or something), drank there for 2 months when i first came and only went into Nana the once when the girls from their took me in on my birthday. Its mainly full of Brits and those from the countries we invented, like your own.

Edited by spiderman2

BKKRick

Good Advice, have met some nice people from the US and Canada of late. Just not too keen on mixing with Thais on a social level. If truth be told I find them to be extremely boring and uninteresting. As for only been away for 5 mins. Well 1/2 correct. Have only been in Thailand for a couple of weeks, but have just spent 5 year working on an oil rig off the coast of Malaysia. Most of my previous R&R was spent in Cebu.

BKKRick

Up to you. Your choice. I would probably stay in Australia if I wanted to meet Aussies like you however.

Oh nice,i like Cebu,have a sponsored child there.I think you maybe in for a surprise if you start looking for Australian's that are actually friendly to other Australian's......But in all fairness,i have met a few chap's that were friendly,but the majority of farang's seem content not to even acknowledge your existence,i suspect they may not be the people you would want to meet...But keep looking,you will surely find some Aussies that are friendly..Surely? :o

I am at a loss when people pay 1,000s of bucks to travel to far away places, then bugga me, they spend their time looking for their own countrymen to drink and eat with.

Must, have to be mentally challenged.

I am at a loss when people pay 1,000s of bucks to travel to far away places, then bugga me, they spend their time looking for their own countrymen to drink and eat with.

Must, have to be mentally challenged.

I think you are missing the point...Most of these people are long term residents.It is nice to speak your own language every now and then,it helps to alleviate the feeling of home sickness.Not every one feels home sickness,but if you leave family and friends behind,for marriage in a non English speaking country,sometimes you are going to want to hear that accent you are used to.A bit like watching an American film and you hear an Aussie(Or Kiwi) accent.

• 1 month later...

Oh nice,i like Cebu,have a sponsored child there.I think you maybe in for a surprise if you start looking for Australian's that are actually friendly to other Australian's......But in all fairness,i have met a few chap's that were friendly,but the majority of farang's seem content not to even acknowledge your existence,i suspect they may not be the people you would want to meet...But keep looking,you will surely find some Aussies that are friendly..Surely? :D

You are spot on..Actually i pride myself on being one of the friendly ones but i know what you mean.

I am living a bit further out of the city i dont see many farangs at all so it is a rare occasion.Once upon a time i made a point (if i saw any farang,even if not aussie) id maybe nod the head or say g'day....and in return (8/10) you will get a look that says "what the f...!!?? OR dont be suprised if some just look the other way

Of course you dont know what nationality they are, but i did notice a fellow unmistakable Aussie accent talking on the phone on the BTS the other day and as we were were both getting off at central i say "hey mate how are you?"....

to which he responds with a blank stare and sort of cocks his head up as if i was one of the plebs... :o (i guess c_ckheads do that)

It made me remember and appreciate why im in Thailand not in the land of the tall poppie cutters

So if your reading this MATE...pleasure to see the back of ya...such a shame to have people like you representing us Aussies overseas..

" I would be interested in joining so as to meet fellow Aussies "

As an alternative you could try visiting the Soi 8 Bar, as there's usually quite a few Aussies drinking there most days/nights (although it's a Kiwi owned/managed bar).

"As an alternative you could try visiting the Soi 8 Bar, as there's usually quite a few Aussies drinking there most days/nights (although it's a Kiwi owned/managed bar)."

Mark5335

I agreed the Soi 8 Bar is good for the odd change and caught up with some 'gos' from home. Many different nationalities frequent the bar, not just Aussie's and Kiwi's. Food's good and reasonably priced happy hour 8a to 7p and a free BBQ on Friday night - steak, sags, chicken and salad.

Mark, I left BKK yesterday but should be back in about 6 weeks, will caught up with you for a beer when I return.

cheers :o

Luap

Why don't you go to the office on Sukhumwit 33? Owned, operated and frequented by Aussies in Bangkok.

As to mixing with Aussies. Why? Discuss politics? Not as boring as discussing anything with a septic though!

• 1 month later...

Why don't you go to the office on Sukhumwit 33? Owned, operated and frequented by Aussies in Bangkok.

As to mixing with Aussies. Why? Discuss politics? Not as boring as discussing anything with a septic though!

Been in Chiangmai for 3 years and never seen another Aussie, plenty of poms and yanks tho but I think I am the aussie. miss ranting about the footy with someone who knows what they are talking about in the season