Thai Airways Non-stop To Los Angeles

Soi224

Has anybody made the non-stop flight to Los Angeles via Thai Airways. Was it just too long in the air?

How was the plane and service?

We are planning on going with our kids next month and usually fly EVA, but are thinking about the non-stop run instead to avoid the tedious plane change <deleted> in Taipei. Both airlines have Deluxe Economy, though I've no idea how it is on Thai Airways and on this particular run.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

I think you should check with Thai Airways in order to find out if there still is a non-stop connection to LA. I think it is a one stop flight.

Edit: Just checked it myself and Thai shows the flights in March 09 as non-stop flights. The aircraft is a Airbus A340-500.

Edited by tominchaam

Has anybody made the non-stop flight to Los Angeles via Thai Airways. Was it just too long in the air?

We are planning on going with our kids next month and usually fly EVA, but are thinking about the non-stop run instead to avoid the tedious plane change <deleted> in Taipei. Both airlines have Deluxe Economy, though I've no idea how it is on Thai Airways and on this particular run.

On a similar note, I did the non-stop NYC to BKK flight RT a little over a year ago before they canceled that service. In business, the best I had flown (as compared to NW or United), very comfortable, and top notch service. I dread the change of planes, so I preferred the 17 hour flight being non-stop...particularly after being used to a 24+ trip on NW with two separate change of planes.

I will be anxious to hear other respondents, since I am planning the same flight you are taking later this spring.

Thanks,

David

I just flew into L.A. on Thai Airways last Friday. I used to fly Asiana but as you said changing flights was pain in the butt. Last few trips I only flew Thai and it take about 14hrs to get to L.A. I paid 60,200THB for Premium Economy and it's well worth it especially if you are flying with your children. As far as food and service, I always thought that they are above average.

I differ with the opinions on the nonstop. A stopover offers excellent benefits for one's health. Do not under estimate the benefit of a stopover to reduce the impact of jetlag and a break for one's circulatory system. I don't know how old your kids are but if you have done the BR flight before then you know Taipei offers some diversions including food, a good walk and if the kids are young enough, a play area.

The other thing to factor in is the cost. Isn't BR still significantly cheaper and doesn't it offer a better schedule? Isn't the arrival time on BR more convenient as well?

I don't share the enthiusiasm for TG after discovering BR, so I'm biased. I flew TG 2X in business and compared to BR, I opted for price over the convenience factor. I have never had my luggage lost by BR, but it's happened on 2 TG connecting flights from the USA. (Not blaming TG, since I think UA is contracted for baggage services.)

Anyway, good luck since we all know LAX is the airport from hel_l for travelers and just getting to and from the gate is an ordeal.

I flew on that a year ago and it was outstanding service on a nice fairly new A340. Every economy class seat has a video screen with a controller to play music, TV, movies, and Nintendo like games in a graphical menu driven interface similiar to a PC or cell phone. The candy bar sized controller on a retractable cord has a credit card slider slot so you can also use it as an air phone. I think it's like $9/minute, but I didn't place a call. I think these seats also have electrical plugins should your battery run low during the long haul flight. If I remember correctly, the nonstop flight was like 14 hours. It shoots non-stop all the way up into Korea, NE China, Russia, Alaska, and then comes down the West coast of the USA. One you reach cruising altitude, they give out free shots of XO cogniac and served the best airplane food I ever had in all my airplane treks to Europe, Asia, and around the US. Very high quality service sums it up. I wondered how awesome 1st class up front must be on this route. I bet it's top notch as the economy class service is top notch in it's class. Despite the luxories economy class offers on this route, it's a very exhausting long haul as I was burned out feeling with numerous body aches for 3 days upon arrival in LA and required extra sleep. Felt similiar upon arriving in Europe several times from the US, but never that bad when due West such as going to Asia from the US. I think they call this jet lag. It's different for robots though. :o

This was the 1st time I'd ever seen personal video systems and fancy gourmet dinners in economy class as Thai Airways don't have it on other flights such as to Hong Kong, Korea, and Taiwan nor do any other airlines I know of. Didn't see these sorts of amenities on Asiana either and definitely never on US based airlines such as NorthWest. Still no internet services to be had up in the air despite Boeing having invented this technology 8 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I think TG will stop the a340 service soon.

On the way to LAX it was really quick, something like 12-13 hours, smooth no problems. Really worth it.

On the way back was pure torture.

The flight was 17 hours 28 mins +/- 7 mins. Guess what, the inflight entertainment systems was also on the fritz. 17+ hours and no entertainment system. Before it was something like 13-14 hours on the way back to BKK but this time was a full 17. Would have liked a stop somewhere just to stop from going crazy.

The direct flight is not that much longer than the leg from Taipei to LAX. Maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer. So decide based on the price and service, and if you want to add some extra hours for the layover.

I think the Thai Airways food is a little more westernized than Eva if that matters. Last time I flew them, premium economy was a ghost town. Ended up being nice and quiet, but they did cut back on flights so they might be more crowded. No surprise they're thinking of discontinuing that route.

I have only flown the LA-BKK route once on the A-340. I bought Economy DeLuxe but was bumped up to Royal Silk after being delayed overnight in Denver. The flight was long but comfortable. For me, the space is most important. And the Thai A-340 has some of the best space in the business. Economy offers more space than some higher classes on other carriers. Before booking, check www.seatguru.com to compare seat pitch. This plane is one of the best for legroom.

I flew Premium Economy nonstop from Bangkok to LA and back in September last year. I can't speak highly enough about it. Well worth the upgrade. Both ways I got a window seat with no one sitting next to me. The seats aren't as big as business class, but certainly much better than economy seats. The plane was clearly fairly new and well maintained and had a good entertainment system on board as well as plugs for your laptop. Food wasn't spectacular, but it was still good, and they came around with snacks quite regularly.

Yes, it's a long flight, and it's much better, in my opinion, to get it over in one go, rather than hanging out in transit for 3-4 hours. Once the plane was in the air, it really seemed to go by quite quickly.

Highly recommended. :o

• 1 month later...

I just got back from doing the Thai nonstop to LAX and am now a convert for sure. Compared to other Thai flights, this one has great service, a smallish passenger total with a fairly large number of crew. I was very impressed have taken.by this service compared to other regional Thai flights I

Not arsing about with changing planes at Narita or Taipei makes it worth it for me. I will now be using them all the time for my trips back and forth from the states.

We did use the Premium Economy on the way back, but the Economy on the way over. Their Economy section was much better than expected, but definitely the Premium Economy is a better ride.

I have to give this ride a thumbs up for sure.

Well done Thai Airways.