2009 Formula One Season

[quote name='rixalex' date='2009-07-30 13:39:2

Anyway, i too am happy that the great driver (albeit not a great man) is making a comeback as it will spice things up enormously. Bearing in mind that he won't be allowed to drive the car at all until the race weekend, it is brave of him. Or perhaps the Ferrari boys will sneak out in the dark of night and take the car down to a quiet stretch of motorway in Maranello - must be tempting! Schumi must be chomping at the bit to get a bit of practice in! Wonder if there's anything to stop him testing in last year's car? Anyone know?

I wonder if Michael has actually kept his hand in, after all he is well and truly esconced in the Ferrari organisation and I doubt that there are any rules in place precluding A NON COMPETING DRIVER from being given a chance to drive the current car in an attempt, as an advisor to have an input into the developement of said car.

I seem to remember a controversy concerning Michael when I think he was at Benetton concerning something to do with traction control, I cannot remember all the details but it was banned and in an attempt to save costs the program was supposedly removed from the computers but was actually moved to a position whereby nothing appeared after scrutiny, but it seemed that some teams could not believe the car could leave the start line like he did and put in a complaint and the illegal program was discovered, I'm sure someone will remember the details.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I seem to remember a controversy concerning Michael when I think he was at Benetton concerning something to do with traction control, I cannot remember all the details but it was banned and in an attempt to save costs the program was supposedly removed from the computers but was actually moved to a position whereby nothing appeared after scrutiny, but it seemed that some teams could not believe the car could leave the start line like he did and put in a complaint and the illegal program was discovered, I'm sure someone will remember the details.

Hi Wacky,

Yeah, they were pretty much caught red-handed yet managed to wriggle out of it :) ,

For more info check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_o...mula_One_season

Hi Wacky,

Yeah, they were pretty much caught red-handed yet managed to wriggle out of it :) ,

For more info check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_o...mula_One_season

Thanks for the link, as I said , I could not remember all the details but it seems Michael and Beneton were not the only ones bending the rules, they just bent them a little more often. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi F1 fans

Well now that the FIA have seen sense and given Renault a financial slap on the wrist rather than a draconian race ban ( I may be cynical but this was done and dusted last week when Valencia announced that Renault would be on the grid!) who is going to be in the second seat? Roman Grosjean?

Whoever it is, it could be another rookie being thrown in at the deep end unless they to play their joker like Ferrari and give him some spurious promotional work which is apparently allowed in the rules.

Really in the interests of safety which they are always plugging when it suits them I think a session for an F! race novice is only common sense and should be allowed.

TBWG :)

just out..... USF1 has Youtube as a sponser

CNN

Hi

Are you sure you have got that right?

Yes they will be part funded by Chad Hurley one of You Tube founders but that does not necessarily mean they are sponsored by You Tube, which I believe is now owned by Google.

Whatever it is good news for USF1, just hope the Cossie engine is not a handicap!

PS Roll on the weekend, difficult one to try and predict after 1 month lay off and before practice. But would not be surprised in Macca pulled another surprise! Wot's your guess?

CNN

Hi

Yes they will be part funded by Chad Hurley one of You Tube founders but that does not necessarily mean they are sponsored by You Tube, which I believe is now owned by Google.

Whatever it is good news for USF1, just hope the Cossie engine is not a handicap!

PS Roll on the weekend, difficult one to try and predict after 1 month lay off and before practice. But would not be surprised in Macca pulled another surprise! Wot's your guess?

TBWG, yeah youre right, i just quickly saw the news flash late last night and saw the Youtube connection, nevertheless, it will good to see added flavour to F1

I would like to see Red Bull win, for Webber to close to gap for top place, but its gonna be an interesting weekend.

CNN

Hi

TBWG, yeah youre right, i just quickly saw the news flash late last night and saw the Youtube connection, nevertheless, it will good to see added flavour to F1

I would like to see Red Bull win, for Webber to close to gap for top place, but its gonna be an interesting weekend.

I'd like to see a Webber win too, but am not sure how likely that is.

With the loss of Massa, Kimi doing nothing much and all the exitement of a Schumi return - and then the disappointment of him withdrawing - I can't summon up much enthusiasm for Valencia. It was likely to be a boring race anyway, but I wish to god that Schumi had never built up our hopes, only to dash them.

I suspect quali will be more interesting than the actual race, just to see how the teams are doing after the long break.

Hi

Well Friday practice over, conclusions Brawn & Williams on the up, Red Bull not currently in contention, Force India doing well, McLaren? not sure with Hamilton sitting out nearly all of 2nd practice after damaging his only new nosecone in a spin. Ferrari, what are they up to stooging around with Badoer at the back and Kimi looking very average! Alonso, he will be on pole here without doubt but will have to pit for fuel after very few laps!

Well time will tell how wrong I am, but i'll stick my neck out Alonso pole and Hamilton win all as per Hungary! but Brawn in front of Red Bull this time. Kimi who knows.

Hi

Well Friday practice over, conclusions Brawn & Williams on the up, Red Bull not currently in contention, Force India doing well, McLaren? not sure with Hamilton sitting out nearly all of 2nd practice after damaging his only new nosecone in a spin. Ferrari, what are they up to stooging around with Badoer at the back and Kimi looking very average! Alonso, he will be on pole here without doubt but will have to pit for fuel after very few laps!

Well time will tell how wrong I am, but i'll stick my neck out Alonso pole and Hamilton win all as per Hungary! but Brawn in front of Red Bull this time. Kimi who knows.

Of course practice tells us pretty much nothing. Unfortunately Alonso has a reputation for 'showboating' in quali - i.e. putting in tiny amounts of fuel to give Renault a far better quali position than deserved - so we can't believe his position in practice in Valencia!! But then again, Alonso can pull performances out of nothing - so who knows?

I'd agree with Alonso pole on little fuel, but as for the race?

If Hamilton wins then the McLaren must be v good. We won't see this from practice (yes, I do know he crashed out) - only quali.

Edited by F1fanatic

Hi

TBWG :D

Of course practice tells us pretty much nothing. Unfortunately Alonso has a reputation for 'showboating' in quali - i.e. putting in tiny amounts of fuel to give Renault a far better quali position than deserved - so we can't believe his position in practice in Valencia!! But then again, Alonso can pull performances out of nothing - so who knows?

If Hamilton wins then the McLaren must be v good. We won't see this from practice (yes, I do know he crashed out) - only quali.

Hi

Well ..... what do I know Alonso on pole :) I thought he would show boat on fumes for the locals! Maybe he thinks he can win?

Still Hamilton looks good for a win.

Alonso could well be spitting the dummy again, if his team mate beats him. :)

Indeed. Grosjean was just 3 tenths off Alonso's time, which for his first ever race was pretty remarkable i would say. Alonso could find he has another upstart breathing down his neck quite soon, and he won't like that!

Badoer's performance was a sorry reminder as to how humiliating F1 can be if you are past your prime. Not saying that Schumi would have been that bad, but he might well have been somewhere near the back and that doesn't do the Schumacher name much good. It was never about the neck in my opinion.

Good to hear rumours that this will be the last year in Valencia. It's a joke for the FIA to be putting so much effort into trying to make the cars more competitive and for there to be more over-taking, and then for them to choose street tracks like Valencia and Singapore, where passing is nigh on impossible.

Anyway, despite that, fingers crossed for a good race.

Alonso could well be spitting the dummy again, if his team mate beats him. :)

Indeed. Grosjean was just 3 tenths off Alonso's time, which for his first ever race was pretty remarkable i would say. Alonso could find he has another upstart breathing down his neck quite soon, and he won't like that!

Badoer's performance was a sorry reminder as to how humiliating F1 can be if you are past your prime. Not saying that Schumi would have been that bad, but he might well have been somewhere near the back and that doesn't do the Schumacher name much good. It was never about the neck in my opinion.

Good to hear rumours that this will be the last year in Valencia. It's a joke for the FIA to be putting so much effort into trying to make the cars more competitive and for there to be more over-taking, and then for them to choose street tracks like Valencia and Singapore, where passing is nigh on impossible.

Anyway, despite that, fingers crossed for a good race.

I have never understood the FIAs thinking about altering the spec of the cars to make them more competitive, we all know that the teams with the most cash will be on top {usually} the rest will be also rans, take this season for instance, Brawn unbeatable until the rest adopted the same bits and pieces and now were back again to more or less where we normally are, top teams top places.

If we see cars on the track next season with this cost cutting exercise and a lot of teams running similar spec cars it will be exactly the same as now, very difficult for any overtaking manouvres in fact perhaps even worse, similar to that other non-starter formula the A series.

and then for them to choose street tracks like Valencia and Singapore, where passing is nigh on impossible.

Maybe more GP2 drivers should move over to F1, there was overtaking in Race 1 yesterday in Valencia if anyone watched it..

If we see cars on the track next season with this cost cutting exercise and a lot of teams running similar spec cars it will be exactly the same as now, very difficult for any overtaking manouvres in fact perhaps even worse, similar to that other non-starter formula the A series.

As I said earlier this year and last year, cannot understand why they do not have the Race with Group A and Group B cars as in other Formula's at least then there would be overtaking, + put a stop to the talk every year of a break away series.

As I said earlier this year and last year, cannot understand why they do not have the Race with Group A and Group B cars as in other Formula's at least then there would be overtaking, + put a stop to the talk every year of a break away series.

I can see where your coming from ignis but a mixed race of A and B cars, I'm not so sure more likely the slower cars will cause the faster ones to bunch up and isn't that what we have now in reality, top teams with top money and top drivers against the less better off teams who are regulars at the back of the grid just look to the recent past and see how many teams have fallen by the wayside through a lack of cash, I really do not have the answer to the question of how to make overtaking a more regular occurance and thus I think more entertaining, perhaps doing something about the strategy of teams, we all know that is often the reason a team wins.

As for strategy in the old days, well up to about 3 years or so ago you would have teams in Qualifying send out there cars together one would tow the other as it were them swap and the other car get the tow...

Often wondered why you no longer see this practice ? as the teams that did this would get a higher spot on the grid for both there cars.

As for strategy in the old days, well up to about 3 years or so ago you would have teams in Qualifying send out there cars together one would tow the other as it were them swap and the other car get the tow...

Often wondered why you no longer see this practice ? as the teams that did this would get a higher spot on the grid for both there cars.

Perhaps limiting the stops for fuel but thats already been tried in the past but top cars are too close in performance to make it as exciting as it could be, it's been a procession for far too long and too expensive, as for your suggestion of mixed racing I don't believe there is enough room on the grid and what I said earlier about bunching.

1 Who cocked the pit stop call for Lewis?

2 Vetttel's engine problems could knacker his season up.

3 Is Slater Bald? It looks like a piece to me.

2 Slaterisms this weeKend. Yesterday "I hope the camera switches to Webber in the Brawn." It was already on Webber in a Red Bull I believe.

Today. "I'm going to shut up now so you can enjoy the sound of the engines." Or words to that effect, but carries on with his mindless prattle.

Perhaps limiting the stops for fuel but thats already been tried in the past but top cars are too close in performance to make it as exciting as it could be, it's been a procession for far too long and too expensive, as for your suggestion of mixed racing I don't believe there is enough room on the grid and what I said earlier about bunching.

Isn't refueling out in 2010?

I honestly don't know Mosha I have been too busy the last few weeks to keep up with the latest rules to be implemented for 2010.

Hi

Hi

Well ..... what do I know Alonso on pole :) I thought he would show boat on fumes for the locals! Maybe he thinks he can win?

Still Hamilton looks good for a win.

Alonso had as little fuel as the McLarens. - i.e less fuel than anyone else in the top 10. I rest my case - or at least I would if the past few races haven't shown Alonso with less fuel than anyone else on quite a few occassions.

So what point are you trying to make?

The race was incredibly boring, but looking to the future - McLaren IMO had the best car for the circuit (look at quali and where Heiki ended the race) and Rubens really did drive an incredible race, but future circuits will be different.

I suspect Mclaren will contine to dominate (I honestly think Lewis lost this race in the best car). But what do others think?

So what point are you trying to make?

The race was incredibly boring, but looking to the future - McLaren IMO had the best car for the circuit (look at quali and where Heiki ended the race) and Rubens really did drive an incredible race, but future circuits will be different.

I suspect Mclaren will contine to dominate (I honestly think Lewis lost this race in the best car). But what do others think?

The point I was trying to make was that I expected Alonso to run on fumes so that he could put the car on pole for the Spanish fans, however McLaren ran fairly low and beat him to it.

With regards to the race can't say I am unhappy with the result although I do think it was Lewis's race if not for the pit stop c**k up!

The Brawns are obviously back on top, but Vettel must now be out of the equation having got through 2 engines this weekend making his year end races very difficult.

AS for the race correct me if I am wrong but apart from the first lap I did not see a car overtaken other than lapped back markers, this has got to be the most boring race on the calender!

One other point did Button have to give the place back to Webber, Alonso who was in front of Button also cut the same corner and was not reprimanded! Although it did not alter the outcome re Webber it could have been different if Alonso had either given a place back or been penalised!

PS: Now on to Spa a real racing circuit!!

Yes... But questions are being asked if the brakes will last starting with a very heavy car.. Valencia is on for 2010 and yesterday car brakes were a problem on many cars, and one cars brakes exploded

Yes... But questions are being asked if the brakes will last starting with a very heavy car.. Valencia is on for 2010 and yesterday car brakes were a problem on many cars, and one cars brakes exploded

It seems that strategy is still often a deciding factor in the results, take yesterdays Maclaren cock up when Hamilton clearly should have won, surely the pit crew knew he was coming in as it was presumably on their orders.

Yestedays race was another procession much the same as Monaco although to be fair Monacos a lot more appealing than Valencia, every now and then there are new regs put into place to stop this but every year it ends up the same same, I have now stopped paying good money to go to the european grand prixs as it's got too expensive.

It seems that strategy is still often a deciding factor in the results, take yesterdays Maclaren cock up when Hamilton clearly should have won, surely the pit crew knew he was coming in as it was presumably on their orders.

Yestedays race was another procession much the same as Monaco although to be fair Monacos a lot more appealing than Valencia, every now and then there are new regs put into place to stop this but every year it ends up the same same, I have now stopped paying good money to go to the european grand prixs as it's got too expensive.

yep, that was so boring apart from the start. Valcencia has just signed it for another 5 years!!!Poor ole Lewis, oh well, his Mrs looked good yesterday :)

Im happy for Rubens, nice guy with everyone. gee, Kimi has no screen presence whatsoever hehe :D