Thai Pole Dancers At Night

IanForbes

No, not THAT kind, silly, I'm talking about a traditional dance using bamboo poles and VERY nimble footed dancers.

There are 8 bamboo poles and 8 holders. There are usually 3 or 4 dancers. Music with a rhythmic beat is played with drums and local instruments. The poles are criss-crossed to form a series of gaps and then the music starts. The poles are clapped together and apart to the rhythm of the beat. It is up to the dancers to nimbly hop between the clapping poles. If you miss the timing the pole clamps your leg.

It was a nightly performance by Karen hill tribe people for our benefit on a recent trip I took into the mountains. Sorry for the poor photo, but it was shot by only the light of a campfire and the flash on my camera. It is hard to capture fast moving objects in the dark.

Pole_dance.jpg

Ha ha! Clever topic!

That's the Ting-a-Ling, a Filipino folk dance, or something awfully close to it. Wonder if missionaries brought that dance with them to the Karen. Lots of fun to do.

I've seen the Filipino one only done with 2 parallel sticks, not with the crossed ones. Does look pretty close so could be derivative.

I went to the Phuket Fantasea show a couple years ago and they had several different dances at one point in the show. My ex-girlfriend said they were from the different areas of Thailand. Think it was something like South, central, then I guess Northeast and Northwest. I only remember this dance and the more familiar style with the pointy metal finger extensions.

This dance stuck out because of the energy, rhythm, and the sticks. Plus I remember doing tininkling in elementary school.

Found a youtube of I think the Phuket Fantasea show.

Edited by Carmine6