Toyota Hilux 1uz (v8) Conversion

INTJ

Time to update the thread.

The oil pan has been modified, all aircon and power steering pipes are plumbed in. Dual thermos on the front, and the air filter assembly with associated sensors are in place, and the battery tray has been moved across to the right side of the engine compartment.

Not much more to do before it goes in for wiring, need new accelerator assembly as the original is electronic and the 1UZ uses a cable, exhausts, and one more fan on the engine side.

Cheers

post-6819-1240798973_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799063_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799106_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799136_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799204_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799215_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799225_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1240799294_thumb.jpg

Edited by INTJ

That was my first reaction when I saw it :o

But if you look at the picture, you can just see the top of the pod is also intake, so it should be OK for a normally aspirated 1UZ.

Cheers.

Edited by INTJ

• 1 month later...
My JZ is very quiet at idle but gets very vocal over 3,000 RPM. No need to in car enterntainment, sure, I can't even hear people talking.

Soundproofing in Tiger pickups is just not the same as in the native Landcruiser/Lexus these engines come from.

Another ocnsideration is spare parts. Say you have an accident, the insurance appointed garage has no idea where to get replacement for your parts. Happened to me, luckily my installation garage was practically next door and they sent their own messenger to pickup some water pump parts from Worachak. At least JZ compatible spares are easily available there. That was one of the reasons UZ was not recommended to me.

I was converting my primary car I need to drive everyday, mind you, when I get to play with MightyX things like that won't bother me very much.

I am at present converting my 1998 Landrover Discovery and fitting a 1UZ with 5 speed auto and a Landcruiser Diff assembly. It had a 2000 cc Petrol Engine which was so underpowered for a vehicle of that size. The suspension will be lowered all round with 20'' Mags etc. New set of headers/twin system,electric thermo fans etc etc. Its my toy. My regular car is a 4 door BC Mazda. It has a tweeked turbo,twin system,lowered all round with wide mags etc. That thing can really move for a 2.5 turbo diesel. My conversion will be finished end of July as I am back in Perth until then. The conversion is being done by a guy"Jimmy" in Chiangmai. He worked in USA for 15 years on V8,s Conversions and European cars. He moved back to Chiangmai a few years ago and is flat out restoring and converting all makes and models. Keep you up to date on my arrival back home to Chiangrai.

• 3 months later...

Hello Intj,

I found this topic :D:D:D on the net, because I'm concidering a same kind of project. I like the Navara sport truck, but I miss the V8 power. The LS 400 engine is a nice option. Do you know if it's possible that I use my stock 6-speed gearbox? If yes, do you know how much power it can bear? It was developed for a diesel, so it might handle lots of torque.

There are people around me, who tell me that I better buy a BT50.

Regards,

John :)

Hello Intj,

I found this topic :D:D:D on the net, because I'm concidering a same kind of project. I like the Navara sport truck, but I miss the V8 power. The LS 400 engine is a nice option. Do you know if it's possible that I use my stock 6-speed gearbox? If yes, do you know how much power it can bear? It was developed for a diesel, so it might handle lots of torque.

There are people around me, who tell me that I better buy a BT50.

Regards,

John :)

The V8 (even aluminium) will add some weight to the front of the vehicle.

Dellow, and Marks Adpators make a range of engine to gearbox adaptors.

Since you did not identify the model Navara I can not be any more help.

DaveO

My mate that did all the engine conversions past away a few weeks back and I have the job of selling off his stuff for the family. Got some Argo conrods on ebay at the moment. Plus there's a pair of ported and polished heads with aftermarket cams to be sold. I've found one of the turbos, but not the other. Anyone finding a dinner plate size turbo...please let me know!

post-63954-1253711335_thumb.jpg

His work ute isn't half bad to drive.

post-63954-1253712450_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1253712500_thumb.jpg

As long as your man enough to handle it!

• 1 month later...