1 Year Multi-entry Ed Visa Extension

I study Thai at Chula and received a 1 year multiple entry visa from the US before I came (cost $175). Today I went for my 90 day check-in and they said that even though I had a 1 year visa, I need to get a visa extension every 90 days (cost 1900 THB), which is the cost of getting a visa as if I didn't have one. So basically, by having a 1 year visa, I'm double paying for 9 months.

I find this strange and unkosher. So I will instead leave the country at least once every 90 days, because the immigration officer said that if I leave and re-enter I don't need a visa extension. But will I need to pay for a re-entry permit? What does the re-entry permit entail? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

You do not need a re-entry permit if you have a multi entry visa - it would totally defeat the purpose as it only allows you to return to your current permitted to stay until date.

As your not a full curricular student and authorized one year extensions of stay they have set up a special provision to extend 90 days at a time and you do not need visa or to exit the country. All you have to do is pay the normal TM.7 fee of 1,900 baht.

It was your choice to buy a multi entry visa - all you needed was a single entry. Entry with such a visa is never for more than 90 days. But you can enter/depart freely for the one year time of the visa.

Believe you are shooting yourself in the foot. Having to depart/return every 90 days is likely to cost you more than the extensions of stay and become a real drag. But you have the choice.

Edited by lopburi3

Hi Kunjet

The details you have quoted and Lopburi's reply

are applicable to students studying Thai at Thai Language SCHOOLS.

The Classes are normally just 4 hours a week to qualify for a Visa.

And those schools are saying that the Initial Visa can be extended

every 90 days for up to FIVE years.

Is that YOUR situation?

You say you are studying Thai at Chula

Is Chula a University?

Are you doing a Degree Course?

If so the Immigration Officer you spoke to might have been wrong in your case

I would have expected a Degree Course student to be given an extension of 9 months.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

• 2 years later...

Hi Kunjet

The details you have quoted and Lopburi's reply

are applicable to students studying Thai at Thai Language SCHOOLS.

The Classes are normally just 4 hours a week to qualify for a Visa.

And those schools are saying that the Initial Visa can be extended

every 90 days for up to FIVE years.

Is that YOUR situation?

You say you are studying Thai at Chula

Is Chula a University?

Are you doing a Degree Course?

If so the Immigration Officer you spoke to might have been wrong in your case

I would have expected a Degree Course student to be given an extension of 9 months.

Bill

I studied in the Intensive Thai program at Chula Uni, but it is not a degree program. I found out later that immigration has special rules for ED visas since many students drop out. So you still have to do 90 day check-in/pay for an extension and give them documentation that you are still enrolled in good standing...

@lopburi3. Leaving every 90 days is definitely more expensive, but I felt like I got something out of it rather than just handing over cash for a stamp in the passport. I ended up deciding to make several trips and they were all worthwhile, and i got special deals on airasia to places like taipei for just over 2400THB roundtrip. One time I did a border run to Cambodia for 2000THB. Takes half a day, but with a buffet lunch and duty free purchases, well worth the 100THB more than I would have just handed over to immigration.