Songkran Begins When...?

cloghead

When will the aggressive revelry--water throwing, etc--start in Phuket? I have a friend who's arrived today and wants to know when to plan his departure (before the ugliness begins)...

13th April first day, but no doubt water throwing will start 12th... until 14/15th April...

Thanks amigo. Only 3 days of watersports??? That's almost bearable. I'll pass the info to my friend.

Traditionally Phuket only has one or two days water throwing. But in recent years this has expanded to more like 3 days to maintain the tourist attraction. One day is enough for me .... :o

Thanks amigo. Only 3 days of watersports??? That's almost bearable. I'll pass the info to my friend.

Traditionally Phuket only has one or two days water throwing. But in recent years this has expanded to more like 3 days to maintain the tourist attraction. One day is enough for me .... :D

Hey! When did you go Red, LivinginKata? :o

Yes, one day is enough for me. I plan on heading up to Isaan with the girlfriend this year to get a different expierence for songkran. I can recall last year after I had been drinking/throwing water all day in Rawai, i met an aussie who claimed he had a bucket of piss thrown in his face in chalong... :o

Did anyone see the laughable article in the Phukete Gazette online on saturday 4th April?

I will highlight the pertinent bits for you. It's from the new govenor in phuket about how phuket will be nice and safe during songkran

1.Water play will be permitted in public areas, except along roadsides with heavy traffic flow. (Yeah right....like the road from chalong circle to Kata and Patong then.........or the length of rat u thit 200 in Patong.)

Those who want to engage in water play are encouraged do so in designated zones in the following locales: Saphan Hin, Rawai Beach, Laem Phromthep, Nai Yang Beach, Surin Beach, Patong Beach. (Encouraged, not enforced)

Water used for splashing or spraying must not be mixed with perfume, face powder, flour or other substances and must be in accordance with all public safety laws.

Also prohibited along main roads will be consumption of alcohol, impeding traffic flow, excessive noise making and disturbing the peace. Violators will be subject to Bt500 fines. (I'd like to know exactly how many people will get fined. My betting is zero)

Operators of trucks transporting water causing dangerous road conditions or pollution are also subject to Bt500 fines. (That will be all of them then.............)

I darent ride my motorbike during songkran, but i have no other form of transport so have little choice except stay inside for 3 days. I dont mind pottering along and people spraying me with water pistols, but many idiots aim for the eyes......a bit of common sense is needed. Also, people who throw a full bucket of water at a passing motorcyclist. That's quite a mass of water..........

My experience: only 13th, with the exception of Patong where it tends to start in the afternoon of the 12th and will continue a bit into the 14th.

Other places: only 13th.

I got squirted last thursday in kata but have to admit the thai guy looked a little lost in time ( ting tong baba sausage banana) i will batten down the hatches on the 12th.