Phyisical Therapy Or Alternatives For A Back Injury In Chiang Mai

allyse

a few days ago i got hit by a moterbike while i was on my bicycle and messed up my (already bad) back and neck. I went to the hospital, got xrays, was told that nothing was broken but my back and neck looked like a 40 year olds (i am 22) and then when i asked him what to do he shrugged and sent me on my way. Are there any psyiscal therapists, chiropractors or any alternativs that i can see in chiang mai because i am in massive amounts of pain.

The orthopedic clinic at Sripat (special medical services clinic, 13th floor of the 15-story white building facing the moat on the campus of Maharaj Hospital) can refer you for therapy. Very reasonable and good. Appointments at 053-9469001

I agree that there is a knowledgeable therapist at Suan Doc, but I would also ask for other references from an orthopaedic surgeon there since, the physical therapy facilities there,while medically sound, are overcrowded and not well-managed, in my opinion. Nothing bad will happen to you, but you won't be spoiled, either. There are very good ortho surgeons at both SMSC and Ram. And I "hear tell" but have not followed through on other qualified therapists.

a few days ago i got hit by a moterbike while i was on my bicycle and messed up my (already bad) back and neck. I went to the hospital, got xrays, was told that nothing was broken but my back and neck looked like a 40 year olds (i am 22) and then when i asked him what to do he shrugged and sent me on my way. Are there any psyiscal therapists, chiropractors or any alternativs that i can see in chiang mai because i am in massive amounts of pain.

Hi Khun Allyse,

Glad to hear your bones are okay !

Chiang Mai Ram has an excellent orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Paiboon who fixed up my badly broken leg (multiple spiral fractures of the right femur which already had a steel pin running down it from a hip replacement) after I was hit-and-runned by a drunken motorcyclist a few years ago (I was on a bicycle and he crossed over to the "wrong" side of the street to nail me). Frankly, I think Ching Mai Ram I hospital is one money-gouging mess administratively, but Dr. Paiboon is great. The physical therapy they offered me at Ram I was a joke, and I actually refused to pay for it, after I refused the riduculous things they wanted me to do (just two days after major, major surgery involving multiple metal implants, and while not yet in a cast) and they tried to bill me for it.

I've had a good experience at Sripat with treatment for cancer (part of Maharaj Hospital complex on Thanon Suthep across from Wat Suan Dok), but the physical therapy I had there for the leg break, to try and improve extension after the usual muscle hardening brought on by surgery and lack of use, left my healing leg irritated and painful. I stopped. And extension returned gradually over a few months just using yoga.

I believe there are several things you can do immediately which are :

1. accept your body needs a period of complete rest

2. use ice packs to reduce swelling. cold baths are cool, also. avoid hot water and hot packs.

3. avoid or cut down on caffeine and sugar, if possible.

4. avoid any kind of manipulation for four to five days after the injury. if you go for massage, get a light oil massage, not the "penetrating" kind of Thai nuwat boran.

5. use your choice of ibuprophen, apsirin, or bufferin, etc. for pain. go to a doctor if you hurt so bad you need an opiate.

Hope you feel better very soon !

~o:37;

From Bunta71 in another post : "Dr.Ken @Shewe Wana Wellness Center, 296 Charoenmaung Rd. ,Heading south towards town on your left. 053-240-020. Tell him Fat Jack recommended him and I get my next ten treatments for free. So you can imagine what he will charge you to recoup his free treatments for me. RELAX, just my humor.

He is not a bone cruncher,uses many techniques. Good guy,also. He is the one that writes the column in the Chiang Mai Mail or whatever that white colored small "newspaper" that folks read while waiting for your pizza to burn....I recommend him wholeheartedly"

I used to see Dr. Bob a teaching and practicing associate of Dr. ken here in town, but he has returned to the US. He spoke highly of Ken. And without Dr. Bob's help I was barely able to walk or sit after an injury in early 2007. It was a good 6 mo's healing. I received massages, accupuncture, electrostym, and manipulation. All of these made the world of difference after the first visit even.

I do agree with Orange Kool Aid that you should rest with your injuries a week perhaps and let swelling come down. Hopefully you are taking anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen and maybe some pain killers or muscle relaxants. If the doctor didn't set you up with a minimal rx for either of these, it may be worth your time to visit the Loi Kroh clinic - it's quick, easy, and cheap. For directions n more on all these topics try using the search function in the top rt of the pg, as it scans just this subforum specifically and will be of more use than the white search box on the left.

~

I will second the recommendation for Dr. Ken Leeper at the Shewe Wana Wellness Center. I struggled with a back issue for 2-3 months that made it almost impossible for me to lie down and I was finally sleeping while sitting up on our sofa.

While I returned for a few follow-ups, the results of his treatment were stunning even after the first visit. Gentle Chiropractic and he is a wealth of information on health and wellness, not to mention a very nice guy. HIGHLY recommended!

Dear Allyse,

i'm a trained physical therapist staying in CM for the next months. i can offer you PT and/or craniosacral therapy if you like. if you want to make contact send a PM

i look forward to hearing from you,

and in any case - a speedy recovery!

butterflying

Only now Fat Jack is down about 25 kilos...someone got my stash! nah...he'll still know who you are talking about just might not recognize my new pants and shirts

Edited by bunta71

Hi Khun Allyse,

Glad to hear your bones are okay !

Chiang Mai Ram has an excellent orthopedic surgeon named Dr. Paiboon who fixed up my badly broken leg (multiple spiral fractures of the right femur which already had a steel pin running down it from a hip replacement) after I was hit-and-runned by a drunken motorcyclist a few years ago (I was on a bicycle and he crossed over to the "wrong" side of the street to nail me). Frankly, I think Ching Mai Ram I hospital is one money-gouging mess administratively, but Dr. Paiboon is great. The physical therapy they offered me at Ram I was a joke, and I actually refused to pay for it, after I refused the riduculous things they wanted me to do (just two days after major, major surgery involving multiple metal implants, and while not yet in a cast) and they tried to bill me for it.

I've had a good experience at Sripat with treatment for cancer (part of Maharaj Hospital complex on Thanon Suthep across from Wat Suan Dok), but the physical therapy I had there for the leg break, to try and improve extension after the usual muscle hardening brought on by surgery and lack of use, left my healing leg irritated and painful. I stopped. And extension returned gradually over a few months just using yoga.

I believe there are several things you can do immediately which are :

1. accept your body needs a period of complete rest

2. use ice packs to reduce swelling. cold baths are cool, also. avoid hot water and hot packs.

3. avoid or cut down on caffeine and sugar, if possible.

4. avoid any kind of manipulation for four to five days after the injury. if you go for massage, get a light oil massage, not the "penetrating" kind of Thai nuwat boran.

5. use your choice of ibuprophen, apsirin, or bufferin, etc. for pain. go to a doctor if you hurt so bad you need an opiate.

Hope you feel better very soon !

~o:37;

Great advice. And spot on re: 'Ram I hospital is one money-gouging mess administratively,...' there are exceptional doctors who incidentally spend a day here and a day say at Klaimor Hospital etal.

From Bunta71 in another post : "Dr.Ken @Shewe Wana Wellness Center, 296 Charoenmaung Rd. ,Heading south towards town on your left. 053-240-020. Tell him Fat Jack recommended him and I get my next ten treatments for free. So you can imagine what he will charge you to recoup his free treatments for me. RELAX, just my humor.

He is not a bone cruncher,uses many techniques. Good guy,also. He is the one that writes the column in the Chiang Mai Mail or whatever that white colored small "newspaper" that folks read while waiting for your pizza to burn....I recommend him wholeheartedly"

I second the recommendation about Dr Ken Leeper - but I understand he's about to head back (or has already gone) to the States for a month. Due back on May 11. By all means call the number given above to check, but I think the OP will need one of the other options for the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I second the recommendation about Dr Ken Leeper - but I understand he's about to head back (or has already gone) to the States for a month. Due back on May 11. By all means call the number given above to check, but I think the OP will need one of the other options for the next few weeks.

Would anyone have an email address for Dr Ken? (If you do, please send by private message as I don't believe we can post email addresses here).

Also, any other recommendations for physiotherapists?

There's a related thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Chiropracter...physiotherapist but it's from 2006 with a recommendation for "Khun Yongyut, at "Physical Therapy" and although he told me he wasn't a Chiropractor but was a qualified Physical Therapist (physiotherapist)".

Would anyone know if this person is still practicising?

Ken Leeper all the way. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he needs business. It would be a terrible shame if he had to close his practice because of a lack of clientele.

Phoned the Shewe Wana Wellness Center a couple of days ago, was told Ken was in USA and would be back in his seat on May 16.

It is 40 years since I was first hospitalised with acute lower back problems and I walked with a zimmer frame. I have had more than my fair share ever since, have numb patches and during one serious episode started to get numb genitals! I was bad enough to be offered a laminectomy. I have seen chiropractors etc etc and sometimes they have helped.

It seems to me "bad" back pain is mostly to do with muscle spasm and tension trying to avoid certain positioning the body perceives as aggravating a "cause", sometimes an inflamed nerve root. As you have no breaks this may be the case with you.

What has really seemed to break the vicious circle in many instances with a 50%-75% success rate, is an anti inflammatory such as voltarol (voltaren here). Sometimes just one tablet in the evening and one next day is enough. It can be amazingly efficacious and quick and you'll spend 25 baht a card for generic.

Always eat before taking and if you have a tender stomach ask your pharmacist for the newer much more expensive alternative. You may like to take a muscle relaxant too.

If your problem is more severe, my experience is that time will do it. The best thing I ever refused was the laminectomy in desperation. Since my early problems I have lived a very active life indeed, just have to accept occasional limitations.

BTW what exactly looked 40 years old in your back? If it was true you should know. Unless you were told specifically it was quite useless and unhelpful.

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

I also found Dr. Ken to be very helpful. He spent over 1.5 hr with me for the first appointment and about an hour for each follow-up visit. I learned much about exercise, stretching and general wellness from our appointments, too.

I went to Physical Therapy at the Chaingmai Ram. Yea, I'm told the place is overpriced.

Fourth floor, 250Bt. I'm told the university hospital is way cheaper and basically use the

same doctors. I'm sure they all have PT on some floor. I have seen private ones also in the old city. The Ram gave me ultrasound teatment/light massage/and 20 minutes of

extreme heat. I had this done 4 times and even though it seems like nothing, it worked

for me.......I'm cured! The ultrasound goes all the way to the marrow! The deepest

part, yet no pain. Good luck!!

• 1 month later...
Ken Leeper all the way. I talked to him a couple of weeks ago and he needs business. It would be a terrible shame if he had to close his practice because of a lack of clientele.

Phoned the Shewe Wana Wellness Center a couple of days ago, was told Ken was in USA and would be back in his seat on May 16.

Ken is now back in his seat and catching up with his pressing engagements :) Had my first appointment with him last Tuesday and was very impressed with the result. A big thanks to all who recommended him.

PS. He told me he was hoping to make the TV party, hope he's not too late to submit his name. A valuable asset to the Chiang Mai community. :D

Cheers

YOS

You could try taking Glucosomine Suphate tablets every day with 2 Fish oil tablets too. I have taken them all my life and works wonders for aches, pains and bones ache etc. Alot of people take them every day for their back. Particularly as they get older. Works wonders after 2-3 months. Hope you get better soon. Take care.

My girlfriend had an ACL replacement. The doctor told her to take it easy and it would recover on it's own. We now know this is not the case and someone even said it was 20% operation and 80% physical therapy.

We got an exercise bike to help (and it does) but I would feel much happier if she could go to see someone even if only to find out what she should be doing and how to do it etc.

I have heard many good things being said about Dr Ken Leeper. Does anyone here have any contact details for him and or know where his practice is? Also how much does he charge etc.

Thanks in advance.