Cheers Beer

gennisis

I bought a bottle of Cheers Extra last week at the supermarket,never heard of it before.

To me,it was by far the best beer I have had here....not the normal 'lager'taste,but more like an English bitter,a medium brown colour,7.3% alcohol.....most enjoyable.

Will have to stock up on it next time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've concluded that I can't drink any more than 2 small Thai beers of any brand without facing a nagging headache all of the next day. I've wondered if it's the formaldehyde (formalin) that's put in Thai beet to give it a longer shelf life.

I bought a bottle of Cheers Extra last week at the supermarket,never heard of it before.

To me,it was by far the best beer I have had here....not the normal 'lager'taste,but more like an English bitter,a medium brown colour,7.3% alcohol.....most enjoyable.

The bottles are a bit smaller but it is strong.

Yes ,it is strong...maybe a bit like a Carlesburg Special brew or a proper Chech Budweiser

I've concluded that I can't drink any more than 2 small Thai beers of any brand without facing a nagging headache all of the next day. I've wondered if it's the formaldehyde (formalin) that's put in Thai beet to give it a longer shelf life.

Urban myth. It's the high alcohol content giving you a headache :o

The bottles are a bit smaller but it is strong.

Yes ,it is strong...maybe a bit like a Carlesburg Special brew or a proper Chech Budweiser

Czech Budweiser is 5% alcohol, it's not a high alcohol beer. See http://www.budvar.cz/en/produkty/svetly-lezak.html

Edited by OriginalPoster

I'm interested to discover that someone actualy likes Cheers Beer. I've been to a couple of parties recently where there has been a few bottles of the stuff and it was unanimously declared to be undrinkable filth! It's VERY CHEAP, but nothing like British beer in my opinion, more like watered down Lao Khaw flavoured with aged socks...

I haven't personally met a single person who likes it; but good luck to you, more Singha left for me!

I'm interested to discover that someone actualy likes Cheers Beer. I've been to a couple of parties recently where there has been a few bottles of the stuff and it was unanimously declared to be undrinkable filth! It's VERY CHEAP, but nothing like British beer in my opinion, more like watered down Lao Khaw flavoured with aged socks...

I haven't personally met a single person who likes it; but good luck to you, more Singha left for me!

Well I know our tastes are varied,but for a guy with the name of Shortz,I dont value his opinion of British beer!! :o .Ive had over 50 years experience of good ENGLISH beers and just get fed up with all American,European and Asian liquids that call themselves BEER....nearly colourless and certainly lacking in any discernable taste. For me ,their only saving grace is that they are liquid and cold.

I do underdstand that the 'normal' Cheers is quite different to the Cheers Extra.

Still...enjoy whatever turns you on,with most Thai beers its a headache!!

Well I know our tastes are varied,but for a guy with the name of Shortz,I dont value his opinion of British beer!! :o .Ive had over 50 years experience of good ENGLISH beers and just get fed up with all American,European and Asian liquids that call themselves BEER....nearly colourless and certainly lacking in any discernable taste. For me ,their only saving grace is that they are liquid and cold.

I do underdstand that the 'normal' Cheers is quite different to the Cheers Extra.

I haven't tried the Cheers Xtra, probably neither have most in the thread either, so maybe you're right about the Cheers Xtra. But are you sure that it's a ale and not a strong lager or a malt liquor?

But certainly you exaggerate about beer outside of England. Pale and weak tasting pale lagers dominate the market, but there must be 100 different styles of beer around the world and the sin of most of them is not they are weak tasting. Becks, Heineken, Carlsberg, and Stella are not what Eurpoean beer is about, it's merely what it's possible to sell to the masses cheaply and still with a good profit margin. And, believe it or not, in this day & age neither are Bud and VB are what American and Australian beer are are about. Remember, when in Britain you have access it a wide varietry of beers that are brewed only in England and available only in England, as someone in Germany has acess to regional beers that aren't exported, as does an American with American beers. Those are better beers to judge a country's brewers on than upon the ones that show up at a Villa supermarket in Thailand.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Well I know our tastes are varied,but for a guy with the name of Shortz,I dont value his opinion of British beer!! :D .Ive had over 50 years experience of good ENGLISH beers and just get fed up with all American,European and Asian liquids that call themselves BEER....nearly colourless and certainly lacking in any discernable taste. For me ,their only saving grace is that they are liquid and cold.

I haven't tried the Cheers Xtra, probably neither have most in the thread either, so maybe you're right about the Cheers Xtra. But are you sure that it's a ale and not a strong lager or a malt liquor?

But certainly you exaggerate about beer outside of England. Pale and weak tasting pale lagers dominate the market, but there must be 100 different styles of beer around the world and the sin of most of them is not they are weak tasting. Becks, Heineken, Carlsberg, and Stella are not what Eurpoean beer is about, it's merely what it's possible to sell to the masses cheaply and still with a good profit margin. And, believe it or not, in this day & age neither are Bud and VB are what American and Australian beer are are about. Remember, when in Britain you have access it a wide varietry of beers that are brewed only in England and available only in England, as someone in Germany has acess to regional beers that aren't exported, as does an American with American beers. Those are better beers to judge a country's brewers on than upon the ones that show up at a Villa supermarket in Thailand.

you just beat me to it I agree with every thing you said :o

Hi

I'd just like to say I agree with JimShortz particularly the points in bold and I have been a member of CAMRA for a bloody long time. :D

It might taste like british beer to an alcopop drinker :o

Its CR@P IMHO

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Tried a bottle of "Red Horse beer" this week. 35 baht from tesco, Pak Chong. Made at the San Miguel brewery, Bangkok.

6.9% and very passable as Thai beers go.

A good partner for those "Horse piss" eggs (the pink ones) :o Anyone tried/like them?

Regards.

Didn't realise there was a Cheers Extra..... but the original was dreadful. Very watery. I bought a case to sink with a few pals in the cafe...... we did 2 bottles and slung the rest. Bloody awful. Give me a good Old Speckled Hen anyday! :o

Now here is a real strong beer...

skullsplitter_med.jpg

Skullsplitter, Orkney Ale....8.5% ABV !!!!!!!!

Beers that strong aren't anything unsual, what's usual is beiung able to blend the alcohol together with the beer well enough that anyone would want to drink it. For instance. most Imperial Stouts are that strong (some >10% ABV), some Belgian beers (including Chimay Blue and almost anything classified as a Tripel). Anyone can pour grain alcohol into a brewing vat, that Red Horse, Colt 45, or Carlsberg Special have a lot of alcohol means nothing.

Edited by OriginalPoster

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Cheers X-tra tonight and I would say it's drinkable. If I am not wrong is much better than average cheers which I couldn't drink, it was giving me an eerie feeling in the mornings. So I decided not to drink Cheers anymore. With Cheers X-tra I gave a shot, I will see how I feel in the morning. By the way I am Leo drinker. Love Federbrau and Singha.

I tried Cheers X-tra tonight and I would say it's drinkable. If I am not wrong is much better than average cheers which I couldn't drink, it was giving me an eerie feeling in the mornings. So I decided not to drink Cheers anymore. With Cheers X-tra I gave a shot, I will see how I feel in the morning. By the way I am Leo drinker. Love Federbrau and Singha.

I had a one drinking session with Cheers X-tra, only this beer and I can say openly it's not a bad beer, it's good! I think I am going to switch from Leo to Cheers X-tra. Please, members of Thaivisa comment on the quality of the new beer. :o

must taste like cats piss then and I bet you drank it warm. give me an ice cold aussie beer anyday

Anybody know where I can buy it in Pattaya, I looked at 7-11 and Carrefour, no luck.

Give me a good Old Speckled Hen anyday! :)

Now you are making me Homesick

same same

And me, without even mentioning Theakstons, Pedigree, Directors etc.

Cheers beer is truly awful and trying to compare it to any British beer that I have had is just pure insanity..... and like Dave, I've drunk quite a lot of beer in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

Must disagree with you mate! Cheers Xtra is absolutely FANTASTIC stuff! Best beer by far in Thailand, and I'm a seasoned beer drinker :=)

Anyone can pour grain alcohol into a brewing vat

That's not beer.

More sugar in the brew will combine with yeast to make more alcohol.

Seemed to work when I tried it (decades ago).

I had a one drinking session with Cheers X-tra, only this beer and I can say openly it's not a bad beer, it's good! I think I am going to switch from Leo to Cheers X-tra. Please, members of Thaivisa comment on the quality of the new beer. :)

I prefer either Cheers to Leo. For my money, Leo is the worst tasting, but everyone's got different taste.

Tried a bottle of "Red Horse beer" this week. 35 baht from tesco, Pak Chong. Made at the San Miguel brewery, Bangkok.

6.9% and very passable as Thai beers go.

A good partner for those "Horse piss" eggs (the pink ones) :) Anyone tried/like them?

Regards.

I love those 'horse pee pee' Eggs. (the pink ones) yeah.. yummy.