Good Places To Eat In Chiang Mai

astral

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Munro's has already sung her Nimmanhaemin swan song... and to think I still have free drink coupons there!

How many times did you have to see the floor show to score coupons? I haven't been there (really - honest) since Gus sold it as the DownUnder.

Perhaps Duke's, or better yet The House, should consider opening a branch on the Rodeo Drive of Chiang Mai. With the openings of Vietcong and Punnanny Condos in the coming months, the old Down Under/Munro's has the potential to be a killer investment...

Perhaps Mike will look at the location for a "Ho Chi Minh Mikes Mega burger Vietnamese style burger drive through with salsa and ribs place". If he serves marguaritas through the drive through McSpicy will take up permanent residence in the forecourt :o

How many times did you have to see the floor show to score coupons? I haven't been there (really - honest) since Gus sold it as the DownUnder.

Perhaps Mike will look at the location for a "Ho Chi Minh Mikes Mega burger Vietnamese style burger drive through with salsa and ribs place". If he serves marguaritas through the drive through McSpicy will take up permanent residence in the forecourt :o

Just once for the show when it first debuted... and more than enough to fill my sketchy sexpat sightseeing quota.

Incidentally enough, Maze Cafe is opening a second location at the Vietcong Condos, so my Duke's/House comment wasn't too far off-base.

Just once for the show when it first debuted... and more than enough to fill my sketchy sexpat sightseeing quota.

Incidentally enough, Maze Cafe is opening a second location at the Vietcong Condos, so my Duke's/House comment wasn't too far off-base.

I go past the Maze Cafe fairly regularly but not stopped there. Looks a bit too upmarket for the likes of me :D What is the food like? If they are doing well enough to open a second restaurant then they are presumably doing well - good luck to them.

CB

I can't believe I forgot pizza mania. how could i forget pizza mania!

pizza mania is the best pizza in town. I should have remembered this!

anyway, to get there, starting from the connector that goes from the superhighway to the airport- go south down the old chiang mai road (the one with the huge trees that are planted on both sides of it), go until you see the tesco mini-mart and the 711 on your left hand side, and it's right across the street. absolutely PERFECT pizza, and they'll put anything on it in any combination you can dream up. a fried egg and bacon pizza? may as well try it :o

Popped up to the Phukrt Seafood place on irrigation road(?), back over towards 700 year stadium. I had seen it mentioned in this part of the CM forum before so decided to try it.

5 of us in the group, 3 0f which are teenagers. We had 8 dishes in total, including 2 large crabs in the crab curry, Grilled river shrimp, Shrimp and Tamarind sauce, Shrimp fried rice, with a good lot of shrimp in it, prawn patties etc. Drinks wise, 3 cokes, 1 orange juice, 2 water and 3 large hieneken, came to a total of 2100 baht.

The dishes were very good and so was the service as well. If you are living over that side of town, then it is well worth the visit and will save you going to the place on Chang Klan road, just on the left below the night market.

best french restaurant: Chez Bous (may be spelling that wrong). just north of the mae ping hotel, on that same stre

The name of the french restaurant is 'Chez Gibus', he is Swiss. Has a buffet every evening. Just have a new interesting menu. Best meat in town. Address is 42 Kampaengdin road (the road of Mae-Ping Hotel) that goes accross Loy Kroh

The best value for Italian is the new Buonissimo by the river on Faham road

best french restaurant: Chez Bous (may be spelling that wrong). just north of the mae ping hotel, on that same stre

The name of the french restaurant is 'Chez Gibus', he is Swiss. Has a buffet every evening. Just have a new interesting menu. Best meat in town. Address is 42 Kampaengdin road (the road of Mae-Ping Hotel) that goes accross Loy Kroh

Have been visiting Chez Gibus off and on for 3 years are to me it falls in the OK bracket but certainly nothing more. I think if you look further afield you will find French restaurants significantly better than this one but in an entirely different price bracket.

To me Buonissimo is the best Italian food in town but have yet to visit in the new location.

Have been visiting Chez Gibus off and on for 3 years are to me it falls in the OK bracket but certainly nothing more. I think if you look further afield you will find French restaurants significantly better than this one but in an entirely different price bracket.

Agreed, but a new menu would be nice as I've gotten really bored with the old one, :o

To me Buonissimo is the best Italian food in town but have yet to visit in the new location.

Agree re Gibus in the 'OK bracket' only. He is fine (and much stronger than he looks - when it once came to throwing out a trouble-maker single handed. Literally! But his wife is moody).

I once had the best French style pork steak outside France at Chez Daniel (junc of CM Land and Airport Rd) but things seem a little variable there and his sea food was past its sell-by date last time.

My favourite low budget, consistent, Italian (limited menu but great people in a central location): Da Roberto near Thapae Gate, just across the alleyway from the very good but much pricier Laughing Leprechaun. Roberto's home-made bread is a must and 'pizza people' say his pizzas are excellent.

Buonissimo on the river still doesn't have cold beers in the early evening and I have found his salads and general portion control disappointing. Great big car park though, and the Tourist Police HQ only a few meters away if you get into any trouble!!

Agreed, but a new menu would be nice as I've gotten really bored with the old one, :o

Was just there last Tues with some of the Tuskers crowd; had a going away party for an Irish teacher friend of ours who went back to the Old Country. Although we all signed up for the buffet bbq deal, the owner Alan (Alain?) mentioned having an all new menu.

I thought the buffet, where you pick out fresh meat, shrimp, etc. was decent value for the money. And the salad bar (and potato salad!) was excellent. OK, not haut cuisine, but definitely worth a repeat, if just to check out the new menu.

The Irish among us ate so much sausage and "mash" (mashed potatoes to us Yanks) that they were barely able to walk away... :D

Jardin Cote d'Azur on Ratchamankha Soi 1 is quite good, and not expensive.

Is that the place that does the French "pancakes"?

The meal-type crepes are quite nice and inexpensive as sabaijai mentioned and the desert ones are good too. Only the lack of air-con keeps me from visiting more often.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Is that the place that does the French "pancakes"?

The meal-type crepes are quite nice and inexpensive as sabaijai mentioned and the desert ones are good too. Only the lack of air-con keeps me from visiting more often.

They might have crepes, I forget. I got the name wrong, it's Cote Jardin Cafe, and it's on Ratchamankha Soi 2. I've enjoyed the goat cheese salad, cous cous and homemade pate.

I have heard good things about that one too. I must try it. But as a regular visitor for some years to Gibus and Chez Daniel, I must advise those good guys to look out for the stylish, low-priced new kid on the block, 'St.Germaine' at the Moon Muang Rd (moat) end of Rachapakinai on part of the site of the former Shell petrol station. Which means you have NO parking problems!!

Now in it's 'soft opening' period (evenings only), it's young French chef from Nimes and French manageress are offering a sensible, limited menu which will be completely changed every 3 weeks.

Within that, have a starter & dessert at 215b; a starter & main course at 395b; a main & dessert at 295b or all 3 at 475b.

The cheese plate is 180b's worth of heaven and the house red (Cab Sauvignon), rose and white wines are delicious and inexpensive. PLEASE try to find the name of the independent local French baker who does their fantastic bread - and supplies some of the local 5-star hotels!!

These folks are here to stay and I bet their outside terrace will be packed throughout the high season. Start with a good cheap beer at The Kafe, then just keep left and walk round the corner!!

I have heard good things about that one too. I must try it. But as a regular visitor for some years to Gibus and Chez Daniel, I must advise those good guys to look out for the stylish, low-priced new kid on the block, 'St.Germaine' at the Moon Muang Rd (moat) end of Rachapakinai on part of the site of the former Shell petrol station. Which means you have NO parking problems!!

Now in it's 'soft opening' period (evenings only), it's young French chef from Nimes and French manageress are offering a sensible, limited menu which will be completely changed every 3 weeks.

Within that, have a starter & dessert at 215b; a starter & main course at 395b; a main & dessert at 295b or all 3 at 475b.

The cheese plate is 180b's worth of heaven and the house red (Cab Sauvignon), rose and white wines are delicious and inexpensive. PLEASE try to find the name of the independent local French baker who does their fantastic bread - and supplies some of the local 5-star hotels!!

These folks are here to stay and I bet their outside terrace will be packed throughout the high season. Start with a good cheap beer at The Kafe, then just keep left and walk round the corner!!

Whoops! Meant Rachawitee. Same side as the UN-Irish Pub but almost on the moat. Sorry.

These folks are here to stay and I bet their outside terrace will be packed throughout the high season.

I'm not so sure they will be packed or here to stay. Those prices would be considered high end in Chiang Mai and that is a limited (though growing) market. Best of luck to them though.

We found a little Isaan gem last night called "Isaan One Million Percent'..

My wife and i have been waiting patiently for this one to appear (even though it was probably there during the last Burmese invasion, i wouldn't know.

Great gai yang, muu yang (really great naam jiim), nuea naam tok, laap's, tom saep, never tried the som tam funnily enough. They have all the other Issan staples as well.

We had 6 people feast on 280 bahts worth..

Gotta love this place.

Opposite the main entrance to CMU on Huay Kaew Rd.

post-31110-1193244493_thumb.jpg