Night Market Stall

JohnRichard

Just brainstorming an idea about selling some items(non-Thai) to the tourists .

Items are definitely unique and not being sold by anyone else.  What is the process for being able to set-up a stall area to do this? Has anyone done this ?  :o  -Thanks- JOHN

There have been several stalls in the Night Bazaar owned and operated by farangs. It's pretty straightforward, each stall pays rent on the space. The problem is finding space available but the turnover is fairly steady so it's usually a matter of waiting a few weeks. Or so I was told by an American who has a stall there, and who managed to expand that stall to a larger business in Saraphi (he still has the stall though).

Much easier to get space in the Vieng Ping Night Bazaar, the three-storey building on Chang Khlan Rd. At least two of the shops there are owned and operated by farangs, Lost Heavens and Under the Bo.

At that bldg there's a rental office on the 2nd or 3rd floor where you can make inquiries.

I'm not sure who you approach for the stall rental but if you ask around you can find out easily I'm sure.

You do not need a business licence as a stallholder

Maybe for a Thai, but for a farang? It just doesn't sound right that something involving a farang in business would be so simple and care-free on the part of authorities, in my experience. :o

You do not need a business licence as a stallholder

Maybe for a Thai, but for a farang? It just doesn't sound right that something involving a farang in business would be so simple and care-free on the part of authorities, in my experience. :D

Exactly Ajarn, although there were two stalls for sale in Chiang Mai News a year ago.According to my failing memory they were being offered for around 300k - 400k.

There would be nothing wrong with you owning one as long as you had Thai staff??

I have always wanted to own a petrol station. I would have the very busty, good looking female staff in short skirts and bikini tops.Same could be done with the male staff (minus the bikini tops of course)for the gay and female punters.....just think of the traffic you would get.

I'd be filling up every other day.... :o:D

Items are definitely unique and not being sold by anyone else.  What is the process for being able to set-up a stall area to do this? Has anyone done this ?   :o  -Thanks- JOHN

There have been several stalls in the Night Bazaar owned and operated by farangs. It's pretty straightforward, each stall pays rent on the space. The problem is finding space available but the turnover is fairly steady so it's usually a matter of waiting a few weeks. Or so I was told by an American who has a stall there, and who managed to expand that stall to a larger business in Saraphi (he still has the stall though).

Much easier to get space in the Vieng Ping Night Bazaar, the three-storey building on Chang Khlan Rd. At least two of the shops there are owned and operated by farangs, Lost Heavens and Under the Bo.

At that bldg there's a rental office on the 2nd or 3rd floor where you can make inquiries.

I'm not sure who you approach for the stall rental but if you ask around you can find out easily I'm sure.

Under the Bo might be run by a farang (French) but his missus is Thai so in terms of who is running (owns and operates) the shop it could be her name on the papers.

Items are definitely unique and not being sold by anyone else.  What is the process for being able to set-up a stall area to do this? Has anyone done this ?   :o  -Thanks- JOHN

Under the Bo might be run by a farang (French) but his missus is Thai so in terms of who is running (owns and operates) the shop it could be her name on the papers.

Right, it's just like any other business, eg Mike's Burgers, Chiang Mai Saloon, Naena Studio, etc, just substitute a stall for a shopfront. The details of the contracts are the same.