High Speed Internet

terdsak_12

Moving into a condo I recently bought on Monday, already got a fixed TOT line and would like high speed access, as I've got the TOT line already should I just stick to the TOT broadband or is it better to get a new True line installed so I can use the True internet which most seem to prefer. Any ideas. Cheers. :o

True or TOT

We had True cable modem in 2004. True stops with cable in Bangkok so we took TOT broadband, the silver package.

The setup went smooth. Small hickups during setup:

- We were told it would take 6 months, which was actually 2 weeks.

- TOT advertises with free installation/setup, which is only true for certain areas: we had to pay one or twothousand bath.

- They forgot to issue the workorder to connect us.

Compared to the service at True I was happy. Within 2 weeks we had our broadband.

The connection speed is usually 25 kbit/s. In the evening between 6 and 9 it can be 7 kbit/s. Occasionally the speed is 45 kbit/s.

In the 6 weeks we have used it, the TOT servers were down 2 or 3 times. This lasted 4 hours or less.

We deliberately did not take True ADSL as we had bad experiences with their Cable modem service. The first 6 months the connection was often down which could last a day. It was usually when it rained and had to do with the wiring in our area.

The True customer service is a neightmare:

- Documents get lost. Repeatedly. During setup we sent the paperwork 3 times!

- Staff does not know what they talk about: that does not stop them from giving wrong answers.

Getting the service a year ago from True was a nightmare. Getting rid of it the same. True cancelled on us January 1st. They invoiced us for January anyway. The anwers we get from the helpdesk:

- We have to cancel ourselves.

- The service is cancelled the 1st of February. They decided to "give us" a month extra,

- We will sort it out and call you back. (They never call.)

Also we paid around 1500 baht a year ago for the modem and would get this back after one year . The year has gone by, here are the answers:

- "If you GET the modem then you cannot get money back." - True help desk staff after we just said we bought it.

- "We do not have a cable modem service. Perhaps it's a different company?" - Staff of a True store at our local Tops.

- "Why do you call this number?" The now very unfriendly sales staff member who sold us the cable modem.

- "We will call you back." - Standard True reply.

I strongly advise against True. TOT is ok so far.

kind regards

Rob Appelboom