Pajero Vs. Fortuner

According to their websites:

Pajero 2WD 2.5 L Diesel = 1,070,000 bt

Fortuner 2WD 2.7 Benzene = 1,149,000 bt

Fortuner 2WD 3.0 Diesel = 1,249,000 bt

I see several farang here drive a Toyota Fortuner, and most are quite satisfied. Compared to the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, even the Thais I ask would also opt for the Fortuner. Are there any Pajero owners here who could share their experience(s)?

Rumours though are that Mitsubishi after sales service is inexistent. Any first hand experience? I also know that Toyota has better resale value but, will the Pajero be worth the price difference, also taking into account that it is equipped with a DVD / LCD screen?

As for after service, you might want to compare the number of dealerships/service centers of the various brands you're interested in.

Of course, in the end, most people will go with their spur of the moment decision and not think of 4-5 years down the road (which is the only thing keeping Chevy, Hyundai, etc. in business here) when they might start needing service centers in far flung areas of Thailand. Which is all good if you're a mechanic or don't plan on using your car that long and will replace it anyway.

:o

I've never owned a Pajero or Fortuner but I've owned three Toyota in my time here (Soluna-Vios, Vios and Wish) and always held that the number and location of service centers is a highly important consideration. I know that I can drive pretty much anywhere I want and never be far from a Toyota centre. Trust me, a 100,000baht price difference is peanuts compared with the service costs.

I've never owned a Pajero or Fortuner but I've owned three Toyota in my time here (Soluna-Vios, Vios and Wish) and always held that the number and location of service centers is a highly important consideration. I know that I can drive pretty much anywhere I want and never be far from a Toyota centre. Trust me, a 100,000baht price difference is peanuts compared with the service costs.

How is a 100k Baht difference in price peanuts in comparison with service costs? I own a Toyota Vigo with regular 10k kilometre services at Toyota costing around 1400 Baht. Are Mitsubishi scheduled service charges extortionately expensive?

When the more key components of your car start to require replacement, it's pretty easy to blow well past that initial 100k Baht in savings. Even more so, sometimes incredibly more so if you have to deal with hard to find parts (or worse yet buy into a model that gets discontinued) and have to deal with mechanics that aren't familiar with your make and model because it's only one of a few thousand sold in the whole country several years ago, etc.

:o

• 3 weeks later...

Am trying to help my employer save some money on a car they lease for me. At the moment I am being offered a new Pajero sport 3.2GT. Currently I have a Camry 2.4 navi new model but 2 years old. I used to have a 2.7 Fortuner a couple of years ago.

I am in 2 minds whether or not to take the pajero. The saving is not that big, I quite like the Camry but I also like to change cars frequently ;-).

So I would like to hear from Pajero 3.2 owners. I have seen the car from up close but have never driven it. The interior is nicer than the Fortuner but obviously not half as nice as the Camry. The exterior is not too bad but I like both the new Fortuner and the Camry better. Also trying to figure out fuel consumption numbers.

Any advise/opinions?

Am trying to help my employer save some money on a car they lease for me. At the moment I am being offered a new Pajero sport 3.2GT. Currently I have a Camry 2.4 navi new model but 2 years old. I used to have a 2.7 Fortuner a couple of years ago.

I am in 2 minds whether or not to take the pajero. The saving is not that big, I quite like the Camry but I also like to change cars frequently ;-).

So I would like to hear from Pajero 3.2 owners. I have seen the car from up close but have never driven it. The interior is nicer than the Fortuner but obviously not half as nice as the Camry. The exterior is not too bad but I like both the new Fortuner and the Camry better. Also trying to figure out fuel consumption numbers.

Any advise/opinions?

I v had the same Camry 2007, Fortuner 4x4 3,0D4D auto, and driven the Pajero sport 3,2. No doubt the Camry is faster, more comfy, better handling, better equipped. Fuel similar, use more gas, but gas is cheaper.

Change car frequently, should have seen me :) But not if you dont need 4x4 suv or 7 seats.

Of course, in the end, most people will go with their spur of the moment decision and not think of 4-5 years down the road (which is the only thing keeping Chevy, Hyundai, etc. in business here)

That's true, but more competition is only better.

Fortuner hasn't had a new model for five years now, only one minor face lift.

Katabeachbum,

Are you in the car rental business? If yes you can still make me an offer for a Camry/Accord/Teana/Fortuner/Pajero etc. Send me a pm if you want. I have not yet decided.

JR

JR

never rented out a car in my life. But cover more than 50k km a year by car because have properties in Hua Hin and Phuket :) My present highwaycruiser Accord 2,4/180hp is now 14 months/52k km. I wanted to sell it, but my gf wants to keep it. :D Cant find a large stationwagon in LOS. Dont want SUV for highway driving. No brakes, no handling, no power. Done that, been there

Katabeachbum,

Are you in the car rental business? If yes you can still make me an offer for a Camry/Accord/Teana/Fortuner/Pajero etc. Send me a pm if you want. I have not yet decided.

JR

JR

never rented out a car in my life. But cover more than 50k km a year by car because have properties in Hua Hin and Phuket :) My present highwaycruiser Accord 2,4/180hp is now 14 months/52k km. I wanted to sell it, but my gf wants to keep it. :D Cant find a large stationwagon in LOS. Dont want SUV for highway driving. No brakes, no handling, no power. Done that, been there

OK got it! Have a look at Volvo. I think the V70(?) is around 2.6 million or so.

Katabeachbum,

JR

JR

never rented out a car in my life. But cover more than 50k km a year by car because have properties in Hua Hin and Phuket :D My present highwaycruiser Accord 2,4/180hp is now 14 months/52k km. I wanted to sell it, but my gf wants to keep it. :D Cant find a large stationwagon in LOS. Dont want SUV for highway driving. No brakes, no handling, no power. Done that, been there

OK got it! Have a look at Volvo. I think the V70(?) is around 2.6 million or so.

Thanks JR

LOS Volvo V70 is unfortunately the old model, came out in the late 90s. So in my opinion outdated for a 2,6 mill car. the new V70 though, if it arrives here :)

The Benz R280 CDi looks bad have seen 2 here, very big.

If you don't need 4x4 what about a NEW 2009 Kia Carens, 2lt turbo diesel station wagon cost 990,000 baht ? Very good reports and reviews.. Quality and fittings are on a par to VW

a NEW 2009 Chevrolet Optra station wagon Luxury Sport Auto 960,000 baht

NEW 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara station wagon Auto 1.050,000 I love the look of this new one

If you don't need 4x4 what about a NEW 2009 Kia Carens, 2lt turbo diesel station wagon cost 990,000 baht ? Very good reports and reviews.. Quality and fittings are on a par to VW

NEW 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara station wagon Auto 1.050,000 I love the look of this new one

Ignis, thanks

But none of these cruise highway 160 km/h for hours like the Accord 2,4/180hp does. They dont even have cruisecontrol. So I guess my otion for now is to take the trunk lid off and modify the Accord to stationwagon. Im sure it will look just fantastic :)

Ignis, thanks

But none of these cruise highway 160 km/h for hours like the Accord 2,4/180hp does. They dont even have cruisecontrol. So I guess my otion for now is to take the trunk lid off and modify the Accord to stationwagon. Im sure it will look just fantastic :)

It looks like this at the rear

post-42643-1242484116_thumb.jpg

side

post-42643-1242484259_thumb.jpg

Sorry for my Picasso English.

My Opinion Top Model

Pajero Sport 3,2 - Vs - Toyota Fortuner 3,0 top

P- 1 245 000 baht F- 1 415 000 baht

P- 5 Jeahr or 150 000 km Warranty F- 3 Jeahr or 100 000 km Warranty

P- Automatic Whit * Sport Tiptronic* F- only Standard Automatic

P- Select 4 wheel und 2 wheel F- permanent 4 wheel

P- Center differnzial Loocked F- NO Have.

P- 3,2 Liter cc F- 3,0 Liter cc

P- 165 HP F- 163 HP

P- 351 N-m F- 343 N-m

P-DVD Touchscreen Alpine F- DVD Touchscreen Pioneer + Navi

Pajero- Modern good solution of the seats in the loading space

Fortuner- Bad solution Hanging rear seats in the loading Space

The Toyota is a 5 Jeahr old Modell . Und With the brakes it had large problems in the past.

so he get some update on 2008 . But but I think not sufficiently for fast drivers.

The seats in Pajero in the back and in front are much more comfortable.

So what is better on a Fortuner .

In Thailand Toyota more worth receipt und has the better name.

Better is the Multifunction Steering . The Pajero Don'T Have.

Better on Toyota he have in Top Version already Garmin Device for Pioneer Inside.

Pajero don't Have . but Pajero Alpine also Work whit a Garmin Modul .

A Garmin modul Coast about 30 000 Baht .

So Garmin have the Best Navigation System for Thailand und My opinion all around the World.

The Menu From Alpine or from Pioneer is not so good as a Garmin Nuvi .

So The System of every Garmin Modul for Pioneer or Alpine or Kenwood used a old Streetpilot Technical.

The Garmin Modul co-operates best with Kennwod Und Kenwood you find in Th in Isuzu.

Now I selling Already my Fotunner und i get already a new Pajero Sport.

I Think He have a Litle Bit ..only a Little Bit of 25 Jeahes Experience of Rally Paris Dakar.

He win 12 Times. The Spirit of Competition. a small little is enough it makes fun

For me was also important Pajero 5 Year or 150 000 km Warranty

Best wish Anunya

post-83514-1242925040_thumb.jpg

post-83514-1242925069_thumb.jpg

Edited by thaismart

Hi All,

UPDATE

I will be getting a new Pajerosport 3.2GT on July 1st. Let's see. I have not even test driven it and am used to the Camry. I will be using my Garmin Zumo as the Mitsu does not have the Navigator.

I will let you know what I think about the car. The company will pay 34k/month excl. VAT. 1-year contract.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

I traded my Fortuner 3.0V in for a Pajero 2.5GT three weeks ago.

I test drove the 3.2GT as well as the 2.5GT and found the smaller engine more responsive. Plus after having the Fortuner just over three years I only used four wheel drive once.I did a get few extras on; roof thingys,wind deflectors on windows,reverse sensor and indicators on wing mirrors.

I want to get sat nav in,so is Garmin the one to get?

• 4 months later...
According to their websites:

Pajero 2WD 2.5 L Diesel = 1,070,000 bt

Fortuner 2WD 2.7 Benzene = 1,149,000 bt

Fortuner 2WD 3.0 Diesel = 1,249,000 bt

I see several farang here drive a Toyota Fortuner, and most are quite satisfied. Compared to the Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, even the Thais I ask would also opt for the Fortuner. Are there any Pajero owners here who could share their experience(s)?

Rumours though are that Mitsubishi after sales service is inexistent. Any first hand experience? I also know that Toyota has better resale value but, will the Pajero be worth the price difference, also taking into account that it is equipped with a DVD / LCD screen?

Toyota worship is like King Worship in Thailand.

Brands like Pajero ,Hyundia,Captiva and now Kia are getting great reviews in other countries.

I drive a Mazda 3 spirit -great car to drive and good service.

Had a Mitzubushi Grandis for 6 years again no complaints -warranty and service first class

Even owned a Shogun (Pajero) once in UK and had much better experience than the Range Rover that I traded it in for!

Try to think beyond Toyota

• 4 months later...
Sorry for my Picasso English.

My Opinion Top Model

Pajero Sport 3,2 - Vs - Toyota Fortuner 3,0 top

P- 1 245 000 baht F- 1 415 000 baht

P- 5 Jeahr or 150 000 km Warranty F- 3 Jeahr or 100 000 km Warranty

P- Automatic Whit * Sport Tiptronic* F- only Standard Automatic

P- Select 4 wheel und 2 wheel F- permanent 4 wheel

P- Center differnzial Loocked F- NO Have.

P- 3,2 Liter cc F- 3,0 Liter cc

P- 165 HP F- 163 HP

P- 351 N-m F- 343 N-m

P-DVD Touchscreen Alpine F- DVD Touchscreen Pioneer + Navi

Pajero- Modern good solution of the seats in the loading space

Fortuner- Bad solution Hanging rear seats in the loading Space

The Toyota is a 5 Jeahr old Modell . Und With the brakes it had large problems in the past.

so he get some update on 2008 . But but I think not sufficiently for fast drivers.

The seats in Pajero in the back and in front are much more comfortable.

So what is better on a Fortuner .

In Thailand Toyota more worth receipt und has the better name.

Better is the Multifunction Steering . The Pajero Don'T Have.

Better on Toyota he have in Top Version already Garmin Device for Pioneer Inside.

Pajero don't Have . but Pajero Alpine also Work whit a Garmin Modul .

A Garmin modul Coast about 30 000 Baht .

So Garmin have the Best Navigation System for Thailand und My opinion all around the World.

The Menu From Alpine or from Pioneer is not so good as a Garmin Nuvi .

So The System of every Garmin Modul for Pioneer or Alpine or Kenwood used a old Streetpilot Technical.

The Garmin Modul co-operates best with Kennwod Und Kenwood you find in Th in Isuzu.

Now I selling Already my Fotunner und i get already a new Pajero Sport.

I Think He have a Litle Bit ..only a Little Bit of 25 Jeahes Experience of Rally Paris Dakar.

He win 12 Times. The Spirit of Competition. a small little is enough it makes fun

For me was also important Pajero 5 Year or 150 000 km Warranty

Best wish Anunya

Talk about nice toy I'd kill to geyt my hands on....you have a Segway loaded in your Pajero!!!

AWESOME!!!

• 3 months later...

seems like pajero is a better choice, but is the 5 years 150,000km still available?

It really depends on why you buy the car

I need a car that I can sell quickly if needed and that does not loose to much value within the first 3 years

If I would know I would be driving the car for at east 5 years, I would have bought smething else, but as it is I got a fortuner, very happy with it

seems like pajero is a better choice, but is the 5 years 150,000km still available?

Yes, it's a standard thing, not a promotion.

I need a car that I can sell quickly if needed and that does not loose to much value within the first 3 years

Ease of resale is the same, as the market sets the price the market wants to pay, and there's plenty of buyers for both models. Total cost of ownership is higher for Fortuner no matter how you look at it though, given it's price premium at the dealership.

• Like 1