House Location

schackster

Not really. it's all a matter of personal preference.

It'd be a fair guess that most Farangs live in housing developments (moo bans) that are on all the main roads out of town. Then others live in regular villages (not gated communities), and others live inside the city either in condominiums or houses.

Just get some wheels and drive around to see what suits you.

If you want to get some bearings first, check out www.jasminehomes.co.th ; most of their offerings include a Google Maps link. This should give you an idea of typically where available homes are located.

For the record... as sooooooooo many Farang make this mistake, any neighborhood is called a 'moo baan'. Any neighborhood. If you are looking for a gated community/ housing development that is called a krong-gan baan, a 'housing project (or development)' (โขรงการ บ้าน), if you will. This distinction of the words will make your requests of your Thai realtors more precise and allow you to find what you're looking for. So let's stop calling developments neighborhoods, shall we ? Sorry, it's just a pet peave.

And then, as this topic comes up every 4 days or so, please check the search function on the top right of the pg by clicking on the black word 'search' and you'll find plenty of other info on this topic already out there, and recently contributed to.

Ok, a third thing. None of this will be easy. You have to visit, get the lay of the land, consider driving distance, living standards, and then so many other things. Be prepared to take your time. We could never tell you all you will learn by hoofing it yourself when you get here.

Within context I think just 'moo ban' is acceptable when it's clear that your speaking of housing developments. ( Short for 'moo ban jad san')

I do somewhat share that same pet peeve though. :) ( But if I got upset at every Farang's usage of Thai language and concepts then I wouldn't be such a happy character all the time. :D )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Sansai might be worth a look its "housing projects" and gated communites and villages are plentyful. Sansai is Great in terms of loaction to shops, superstores, schools, hospitails and also just 15 mins from town.

I hear it. Especially with the development brands that have multiple developments. So someone would say that they live in Poolcunt Ville, and then the other would ask 'which development' -> 'khong gan nai kha' ?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes, I agree .Better to view first hand and will be doing just that very shortly.The internet has a huge number of properties for sale . Are prices in Chiang Mai fairly stable or have they also fallen victim to the slump in International economy ?

Well... in difficult economic times there are of course more opportunities to be found. Some people just really need the money. Many other however have enough money and aren't really forced to sell, so those people typically would not lower prices but just wait (indefinitely if need be) for someone to come along and pay their price.

But it is a buyer's market; you can find good deals; just don't expect every house to have come down in value.