Pattaya Is Dead Dead Dead

MeetJohnDoe

i cant believe people are complaining about 40bht per hour parking fees for crying out loud its nearly £2 an hour here in belfast or 3 euro in dublin.

And your point is?

Comparing prices to a 1st world country over 6000 miles away is bonkers IMHO.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you lot retired rich or have businessnesses?

Probably mixture of all three

Nope. Just lucking enough to work in an industry that doesn't feel the pain of the current financial situation. So long as I have an internet connection, I'm making money in multiple currencies.

Have a few years left in me before I retire. Though truth be told, I can't ever see myself just not working at something.

Oh no, not another successful, self-made, millionaire/wealthy individual, who just happens to enjoy living in Pattaya but disapproves of it. If you don't like the place <deleted> made you live here?

I just don't get the desire to "improve" Pattaya. It was fine as it was. If you don't like "low life foreign visitors", no one is forcing you to stay.

What a beautiful stupidity. What a nonsense!

Who is forcing Thai people and government to stay in Pattaya?

They hate it and they are doing everything they can to make life miserable for western social rejects. They even resorted to bringing Russians and their families.

Who can tell Thais to leave if they don't like that place in their own country?

Actually, what you are saying is stupid. Pattaya has been it's present way for probably longer than most of the Thais living in Pattaya were born. In 1967 I doubt their families would have even been living there. So they knew what they were moving to.

For them to complain about it is like moving next to an airport and complaining about the aircraft noise!

What are they doing to make life miserable for westerners? You are writing rubbish!

I've seen plenty of adult Russians, but few children, so where are these mythical Russian families? Anyway, as most of the Russian women that cruise Walking Street are stunningly beautiful and dress to please men, they are very welcome.

In a sober state of mind, listen to the world news or global busniness reports and you will understand the reason for the global (not just Pattaya or Thailand) downturn in not only tourism but business in general. Why blame Pattaya's downturn on all the things you personally don't like about progress in Pattaya. Those of you who wish, hope and pray for Pattaya to return to being a low rent district of Thailand for so many low life foreign visitors are not thinking about what is really best for the people of Thailand. New businesses like Central World are not to attract foreign visitors of any kind but are intended to help improve the reputation of Pattaya and attract Thai tourists. Global economic recovery will be slow and conservative as will tourism worldwide. Pattaya has a chance to improve it's image during this recovery period and I for one support their effort.

I just don't get the desire to "improve" Pattaya. It was fine as it was. If you don't like "low life foreign visitors", no one is forcing you to stay. There are hundreds of other towns in Thailand to live in. Perhaps Hua Hin would suit; it's full of pretentious greedy business owners, and I hated the place more than any other resort town I'd ever been in.

The truth is, Pattaya was a popular town due to the night life, not because of the beach, or any other factor, and a bunch of "greedies" decided to make money by piggybacking onto it's popularity, but then decided it wasn't "good enough" for their inflated egos, so the push to "trendify" it. I can even remember many years ago, some restaurant owner idiot who thought that his customers should have to dress up before he'd let them in!

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

As for "not thinking about what is best for the people of Thailand", which people are those? Certainly not the thousands of poor people that eke out a living in nightlife related activities in and around Pattaya. I'm guessing that your sympathies lie with the rich of Thailand.

Again, Pattaya became what it is on the backs of poor working girls ( and boys ), and if anyone doesn't like that, or the town, feel free to go elsewhere.

gosh that has to be one of the most self indulgent posts i've ever read

Edited by BusyBee123

In a sober state of mind, listen to the world news or global busniness reports and you will understand the reason for the global (not just Pattaya or Thailand) downturn in not only tourism but business in general. Why blame Pattaya's downturn on all the things you personally don't like about progress in Pattaya. Those of you who wish, hope and pray for Pattaya to return to being a low rent district of Thailand for so many low life foreign visitors are not thinking about what is really best for the people of Thailand. New businesses like Central World are not to attract foreign visitors of any kind but are intended to help improve the reputation of Pattaya and attract Thai tourists. Global economic recovery will be slow and conservative as will tourism worldwide. Pattaya has a chance to improve it's image during this recovery period and I for one support their effort.

I just don't get the desire to "improve" Pattaya. It was fine as it was. If you don't like "low life foreign visitors", no one is forcing you to stay. There are hundreds of other towns in Thailand to live in. Perhaps Hua Hin would suit; it's full of pretentious greedy business owners, and I hated the place more than any other resort town I'd ever been in.

The truth is, Pattaya was a popular town due to the night life, not because of the beach, or any other factor, and a bunch of "greedies" decided to make money by piggybacking onto it's popularity, but then decided it wasn't "good enough" for their inflated egos, so the push to "trendify" it. I can even remember many years ago, some restaurant owner idiot who thought that his customers should have to dress up before he'd let them in!

Central World is going to fail, just like The Avenues. Anyone stupid enough to build a place that charges Bangkok prices in a small tourist resort town deserves to go bankrupt.

As for "not thinking about what is best for the people of Thailand", which people are those? Certainly not the thousands of poor people that eke out a living in nightlife related activities in and around Pattaya. I'm guessing that your sympathies lie with the rich of Thailand.

Again, Pattaya became what it is on the backs of poor working girls ( and boys ), and if anyone doesn't like that, or the town, feel free to go elsewhere.

Self indulgent ??

thaibeachlovers is Right On the facts

Suksabai Villa has some very nice houses for rent/sale, as well as the usual grotty ones. So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I know Suksabai, has it changed in the last few years, or is it still likely that your house will have been broken into by the time you have walked to the Soi 17/3rd Road crossroads ?

Maigo is the most anti farang dude around. It wouldn't surprise me if he says that it's farang doing the breakins.

Well he has a point i lived in Suksabi Villa a few years ago and got broken in to and robbed not only did the house get broken in to some one removed some of the fancy expensive lights on the outside wall some weeks before. after the break in i moved out to stay in Alie's Hotel Just newley opened)for a month while i looked around for another rental as i thought it would only be a matter of time untill i got a repeat break in.

Self indulgent ??

thaibeachlovers is Right On the facts

Totally agree......not self indulgent........and right on the facts.

What the real estate hounds/developers/blind government officials have been doing is trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Now Thais and foreigners are paying the price for bad development decisions.

Please repeat after me.......Pattaya is not Monaco and never will be.

Can't get my head around San Fran & Pattaya having ANY thing near a similarity nor will it ever. Patts is a Town of less than 65,000 & one third are transient workers. SF has a few million PERMANENT Residents & was a boom town in the late 1850s riding on the Gold discoveries & kept growing.

Patts was a dirt rutted village with a lousy beach & cheap booze & whores in 1960s (something good came out of Vietnam) . The Beach is still lousy & a few ex servicemen made their way back & then the Ex Pats saw the $$$$$ & here we are. Things are still comparatively cheap compared to a lot of Euro cities BUT as business slows the Baht prices go up & make Malaysia, Cambodia,Vietnam,Philippines more attractive as an alternative economical Tourist Destination. BALI kills all of them for popularity at this time it seems.

Warts & all Patts still has it for me , I just avoid any contact with the greedy people in the Real Estate & Policing Industries .

Accept it for what it is without the 'Spin' , but it does worry me the amount of gun crime,suicides?,pedophiles, etc on a pro rata basis per head of population Patts has gotta be at the top of the worlds figures for some of these types of incidents which seem to be increasing at an alarming rate the last 4 - 5 years.

Oh well !!

SF has a few million PERMANENT Residents

Wrong.

The population of San Franciso (city and county of) has NEVER exceeded one million! Now about 800,000.

There are similarities, both are waterfront cities, both are near major ports, both are major tourism cities, both have diverse international cuisine on offer, both are magnets for gays, both are heavily Asian (ha ha), both have large transient populations, both have many drag queens, San Francisco a largely Asian population city that is the most European of all US cities/Pattaya a largely Asian population city that is the most European of all Thai cities, etc. etc. Again, never said Pattaya was the same as today's San Francisco, just said San Francisco started as a wild west brothel town (earlier it was an Indian fishing village), and so did Pattaya (a wild far east brothel town, earlier it was a Thai fishing village ). There is no reason to think Pattaya's future is set in concrete. Pattaya, in any case, is now a CITY.

Pattaya population from Wiki:

Demographics

The city (Mueang) had 104,318 registered inhabitants in 2007. But like Bangkok Metropolis, that figure excludes the large number of people who work in Pattaya but remain registered in their hometowns, and many long-term expatriate visitors. Including non-registered residents, the population numbers around 300,000 at any given time. Other estimates put the figure as high as 500,000.[1]

Edited by Jingthing

The population of San Franciso (city and county of) has NEVER exceeded one million! Now about 800,000.

Pattaya population from Wiki:

Demographics

The city (Mueang) had 104,318 registered inhabitants in 2007. But like Bangkok Metropolis, that figure excludes the large number of people who work in Pattaya but remain registered in their hometowns, and many long-term expatriate visitors. Including non-registered residents, the population numbers around 300,000 at any given time. Other estimates put the figure as high as 500,000.[1]

Be nice Jing, my buddy Lefty said we are entitled to our own opinions AND our own facts. Makes for more interesting posts :)

It is not about nice. The other poster stated a completely incorrect assertion about the permanent population of San Francisco as fact. As an ex-San Franciscan, I found that needed to be corrected.

OK Jing, I wasn't correcting you, just joking about some of the facts posters toss around. Peace :)

perhaps this new "trend" is just a well orchestrated plan by the usual very greedy hi-so, where a well masquerade wish to improve the society is in fact only a way to drive many people out of business so they can cheaply aquire new assets....just a thought

Suksabai Villa has some very nice houses for rent/sale, as well as the usual grotty ones. So you don't need to run to the darkside - make a good deal within walking distance of Walking Street and Tesco/Outlet Mall. (For me, anyway, it's all within walking distance).

I know Suksabai, has it changed in the last few years, or is it still likely that your house will have been broken into by the time you have walked to the Soi 17/3rd Road crossroads ?

I must be lucky then as i've lived on suksabai for 7 years and never had a problem.

:)

You are right Jing , I was looking at LA population BUT I still assert that there is a major difference & I suppose once Patts has over 150 years of history of settlement by outsiders you could be right. There is actually just over 100,00 in Patts not even half of that are Thai citizens are they ?

Be that as it may be . It has certainly not been encouraging to visitors with the amount of Negative news coming out of Thailand since November last year. Not just the political unrest, but , Phuket Tourist with a 'phoney' Brit passport (It wasn't) a major case of the Bar Mat theft, & on & on it goes.

Yet Bali has 2 Terrorist Bombings & seems to recover quickly & better than ever. Just an observation.

I've been a Patts fan for many years & get sad sometimes with the down side that seems to be continually accentuated by some.

Actually, what you are saying is stupid. Pattaya has been it's present way for probably longer than most of the Thais living in Pattaya were born. In 1967 I doubt their families would have even been living there. So they knew what they were moving to.

For them to complain about it is like moving next to an airport and complaining about the aircraft noise!

It is Thai government or whoever is pulling the strings. They want Pattaya to lese that sleezy stamp.

What are they doing to make life miserable for westerners? You are writing rubbish!

For example, the humiliating laws about visas.

Gotten worse with no more buy a 3 mil Baht new condo and get 1 year visa, extendable.

And 6 monts rule.

Along the way, they made Russians be treated as any foreigner from the West - 30 days visa on arrival.

Before. it was 15 days, 50EUR visa on arrival.

And TG's 4 flights a week to Moscow.

I've seen plenty of adult Russians, but few children, so where are these mythical Russian families? Anyway, as most of the Russian women that cruise Walking Street are stunningly beautiful and dress to please men, they are very welcome.

Here is how they come, Russian wide body planes at Utapao:

JomtienGPalace_Russia2.jpg

JomtienGPalace_Russia3.jpg

Some even claim the theritory. From that shithole hotel at Jomtien Soi 6 (where the Post office is) to Welcome Inn:

JomtienGPalace_Russia.jpg

Pattaya Park Hotel - Thais even introduced a panel of cashiers to charge Russians for a 20 baht worth (sold for more) meals:

JomtienGPalace_Russia1.jpg

The idea was, my guess, the same as what Donald Trump did with his condo building at Manhattan. He wanted it demolished but current tenants put up a fight. He just let street bums occupy several of dormant units. All the high nosed tenants left and the building was demolished, no more lawsuits.

By the way, Russians are nothing like poverty packers coming to Pattaya and asking here "Need a hotel up to 800B with free Internet".

By the way Jing , you are way out. The population of the City of Sanfran (47 sq miles) is as you quote around 800,000 . BUT as I said Millions in the whole area. Bay area & total SF area is 7,764,000 + (2008 census) . Pattaya Total area is a bit over 105,000. ??????

Check Wikpedia ...

Pattaya is basically a village by US standards I would suggest. SFs Population exceeded the current Population of Patts in 1864.

But, none of that has anything to do with the post, what happened ??... it's off season & other destination for Tourists are becoming much more marketable. Even Singapore has dropped prices the last 2 weeks. In fact a few of us are heading there in a couple of weeks taking up a very good offer that even the Air Fare is less than half of Thai Airways to BKK.

Free rooms in Patts ??? we have tried for 3 weeks now & none are available...........Oh well.!!!

Wait til November & see what the offers are , as it is our usual time anyway for Patts.

By the way Jing , you are way out. The population of the City of Sanfran (47 sq miles) is as you quote around 800,000 . BUT as I said Millions in the whole area. Bay area & total SF area is 7,764,000 + (2008 census) . Pattaya Total area is a bit over 105,000. ??????

105,000 might be the number of registered people in Pattaya. Multiply it by x and you got the real figure.

Cheers

Same, same.

That's why I'm looking fora roller shutter / grill to close the front entrance to the house.

All rest is secured by built-in grills.

The idea was, my guess, the same as what Donald Trump did with his condo building at Manhattan. He wanted it demolished but current tenants put up a fight. He just let street bums occupy several of dormant units. All the high nosed tenants left and the building was demolished, no more lawsuits.

Just copying Polish Peter (Petr Rachman) in London in the late 50's/early 60's.

Used to work for theman - destatting houses in West London - then worked for Audrey (his wife) in Le Discotheque when it was a spieler.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

Just copying Polish Peter (Petr Rachman) in London in the late 50's/early 60's.

Used to work for theman - destatting houses in West London - then worked for Audrey (his wife) in Le Discotheque when it was a spieler.

:) Fascinating.........any chance somebody can get back on topic and stop boring people to death?

As you say NOW, not as you said. You asserted the actual city of SF was several millions. If you are going to include Oakland and San Jose (FOURTY MILES south and a bigger city than San Francisco) in the SF population figures (absurd) why not include Chonburi city and all the towns in a 40 mile radius of Pattaya? To call Pattaya a small village is ABSURD.

Edited by Jingthing

Same, same.

That's why I'm looking fora roller shutter / grill to close the front entrance to the house.

All rest is secured by built-in grills.

i suggest railings on top of the wall thats on my side. :)

IMO it is not only Patts , but many Tourist Destinations are 'dead' at this time. But, things seem to be back on the way up in a lot of places & with all the price rises going on in Thailand when neighbouring Countries are lowering them to encourage more visitors it may take a big re-think to get back on track..

We still go back to Patts a few months every year , but, we have visited a few other destinations lately that make us think about value for our $$$$

Fingers crossed the season starts up healthy.

.........any chance somebody can get back on topic

The reply says it all. If you please ladies & gents.

Ok Blaster, I'll do it, but from a different angle.

Over the last couple of months there has been a steady influx of very attractive young females turning up in my town, that in itself is not unusual, it's been happening since I've lived here, but, this year they are alone.

Over the last couple of months there has been a steady influx of very attractive young females turning up in my town, that in itself is not unusual, it's been happening since I've lived here, but, this year they are alone.

OK I think you ought to elaborate on that statement.

OK I think you ought to elaborate on that statement.

I think this refers to "mobility of labour".

Quiet time in the bars, the prodigal daughters return home.

IMO it is not only Patts , but many Tourist Destinations are 'dead' at this time. But, things seem to be back on the way up in a lot of places & with all the price rises going on in Thailand when neighbouring Countries are lowering them to encourage more visitors it may take a big re-think to get back on track..

We still go back to Patts a few months every year , but, we have visited a few other destinations lately that make us think about value for our $$

Fingers crossed the season starts up healthy.

not all, belfast city is thronged with tourists at the minute.