Private Transport Alternatives

WaiWai

Here's the perfect opportunity for those who wish to karma-down on pent-up internet or other aggro :) .

I cannot locate the recent thread in which someone enquired about acquiring a tuk tuk for private use.

I know I have seen an array of private transportation options used by Thais in Chiang Mai, but what exactly is viable for farangutangs?

I have been wondering:

Can one drive a golf cart/buggy on the roads? Is a licence needed? How much do these things cost? Where to buy one? Can they be used in housing estates?

What are other alternatives for something slow, stable and legal, for both within and without a housing estate?

Edited by WaiWai

Actually, you can buy an electric vehicle (like a golf cart) on the left on the road headed south toward Airport Plaza from the moat. I have never stopped by, but am also somewhat fascinated by the potential! I suspect you would need some sort of special license or permit. I have never stopped by to ask.

There are electric vehicles on the CMU campus, as you know, but they seem restricted to university roads.

It would be indeed nice to see an expansion of an electric powered local transportation system between the river and Doi Suthep, north to the Superhighway and south to Airport Plaza. If anyone thinks that they will improve traffic in Chiang Mai by widening roads, they are foolish. Many, many years of urban experience around the world has shown that this increases traffic and congestion. What make widening roads attractive is that those are expensive projects popular with large contractors: the governments buy the land with taxpayer money; the contractors get the work; the politicians get... Now, this is not a problem at all peculiar to Thailand.

If you are the "do it yourself" type and like large scale projects you can buy electric car conversion kits, of course you need a used car as well the engine does not need to be working as it gets taken out anyway. I have always wanted to do this project myself however I lack the time but someday when I do have the time it will be one of my first serious projects to take on.

Thanks for the suggestions :).

It would be indeed nice to see an expansion of an electric powered local transportation system between the river and Doi Suthep, north to the Superhighway and south to Airport Plaza.

Absolutely. Don't some of the moo bahns have such vehicles?

Thanks for the suggestions :) .
It would be indeed nice to see an expansion of an electric powered local transportation system between the river and Doi Suthep, north to the Superhighway and south to Airport Plaza.

Yes, they do. There is a village close to us (I don't know the name) but they will not allow fossil fuel vehicles on the property. Funny thing is they allow LPG (which is fossil fuel although it burns clean if you can get someone that knows how to install it properly) Hybrids and Natural Gas vehicles.

Thanks for the suggestions :) .

Yes, they do. There is a village close to us (I don't know the name) but they will not allow fossil fuel vehicles on the property. Funny thing is they allow LPG (which is fossil fuel although it burns clean if you can get someone that knows how to install it properly) Hybrids and Natural Gas vehicles.

Interesting, Jungian.

If you are the "do it yourself" type and like large scale projects you can buy electric car conversion kits, of course you need a used car as well the engine does not need to be working as it gets taken out anyway. I have always wanted to do this project myself however I lack the time but someday when I do have the time it will be one of my first serious projects to take on.

Does this suggest you think it would be possible to drive the golf cart-type vehicles on the public roads?