Pantip Plaza

triffid

I was given some very useful advice a few days ago on getting into and out of BKK (Landmark) and am hoping for the same for the present excursion which I'm not lookingh forward to - as a novice to both the city and to driving in it.

I have to take some heavy objects to a radio shop at Pantip Plaza and to a shop at Silom Soi 26. My intention was to go to Pantip first, leave the car parked there, and take a cab to the Silom shop (where I assume I wouldn't find a parking place) and back. I'll be going to Bkk from Si Racha.

I'd be most grateful for any useful instructions or tips on my least inconvenient and simplest course. Again I need to ask for a quick response as I want to go tomorow - though I will need to repeat the exercise later to pick up the items I'll be leaving at the two places.

(Looking at google maps etc tended to boggle my mind; as I said I am a novice and more attuned to driving around in Chiangmai - comparative child's play.)

I am not from Bankok although i've driven through it a few times.

Once to Pantip Plaza.

Traffic can be very tough, especially morning and afternoon rush hours.

The last few times, i had a GPS and it was much easier.

If you don't, and are really not wanting to deal with the traffic and directions (no GPS)

I would suggest parking your car somewhere where you can find a parking spot and have someone right down the location so that a cab driver can find it coming back, and get a cab.

That's my 2 cents on your problem anyway.

I have driven in Bangkok for a number of years and know the city well as a driver. Panthip Plaza is not a place I would drive to. Traffic in the area is a nightmare and the car park there is a small and sometimes it can be hard to find a park.

I would consider parking elsewhere and taking a cab.

It's not a complete nightmare parking at Pantip. Aim for the underground car park, or failing that, the outdoor car park (turn left before you enter the multi-story car park).

But yeah, the Pratunam area is a bit of a nightmare - possibly the worst area for traffic in BKK. If we haven't put you off completely, try approaching from Ratchathewi/Phayathai side - there's more lanes coming from that direction, and you can still turn right into the building.

If you're approaching from the Toll way, here's how I'd do it. (Exiting at Victory Monument)

I once worked in the Pantip area and so I tried several ways to avoid the awful traffic....... I failed each time, there is no quick way.

If you have nothing large with you then take a motorbike, if you do then you'll just have to accept that you are going to be a long time.

If you mean you are staying at the Landmark on Sukhumvit it is easy to drive - Turn left from hotel one way - Keep going until you get to the central world intersection turn left if you can otherwise turn right and u turn - keep on going until you are past central world take 1st left and pantip is 1km on you left with plenty of parking .

If you mean you are staying at the Landmark on Sukhumvit it is easy to drive - Turn left from hotel one way - Keep going until you get to the central world intersection turn left if you can otherwise turn right and u turn - keep on going until you are past central world take 1st left and pantip is 1km on you left with plenty of parking .

I do not want to sound cheap, but rather efficient and fast.

Aircon Bus 511, front door of Landmark to front door of Phantip, mostly on its own lane...

Sorry to muddle you but should be the other way around turn right ! not left .

Thanks for those prompt responses. They have certainly put me off from trying to drive there myself, and that has been very useful. The only question now is where to park my car. My easiest option would be to park at the On Nut Tesco car park. And unless there is another and equally accessible car park nearer Silom that's what I will do. How much time should I allow to get by taxi to Silom and then Pantip and then back to On Nut (though I could take the return trip on BTS).

Phatip area has traffic yes. But if you time it right you will be ok so just drive. So much easier if you have heavy stuff with you.

I mean if you are in Pratunam area (where phantip is) between say 10am to 2pm it should be ok. From there it is quite easy to drive to Silom and yes there is public car parks in Silom as well and you can also park in any of the office buildings although it's gonna cost bit more but in any case it's not that much compared to a taxi costs.

However if you decide to park somewhere outside then as you said anywhere along the BTS line is ok. Taxi from On-nut to Silom and from there to Phantip and then BTS back. On-nut to Silom anything between 15mins to one hour and same from Silom to Phantip. All depends what time of a day you are on the move.

I don't have a car here in BKK, but have lived in the Panthip area (first Soi Langsuan and now just of Ratchadamri Road) for over a year, and I can concur that traffic near Panthip is a nightmare (no clue about parking).

I don't know about the other alternatives, but do NOT drive north on Ratchadamri to get there.