Cheese Curds Or Quebec Style Poutine

kudroz

I'm craving for poutine, are there any restaurant in Chiang Mai serving poutine? I could also buy cheese curds and cook myself a poutine... But where to find cheese curds in Chiang Mai?

:)

I'm craving for poutine, are there any restaurant in Chiang Mai serving poutine? I could also buy cheese curds and cook myself a poutine... But where to find cheese curds in Chiang Mai?

I am so craving it my self for a long time now .....yes, make it ourselves but where to find the cheese.....?? From what I've researched on the net this type of cheese can only be founf in Quebec and maybe some other parts of Canada ....I had read about making it from another similar cheese ....Ok I'm going to search this again as I had kind of given up

You could use string mozzerella cheese, and, no, that would not be at all the same. You won't be finding the correct cheese in Thailand or most places outside Canada, so you're just going to have to cope. Maybe you can convince a local French restaurant to somehow MAKE the cheese and then they could have Canada night promotions for all you addicts. Would you pay 1000 baht for a fix (ha ha)?

curds are easy enough to make yourself, just need fresh milk and some vinegar.

half an hour and you have fresh curds.

curds are easy enough to make yourself, just need fresh milk and some vinegar.

half an hour and you have fresh curds.

I don't think so!

Cheese curds used for authentic poutine must be CHEDDAR CHEESE curds and are generally only available from cheddar cheese factories. Also, the curds must be fresh to be any good. I know in California they make cheddar cheese but never saw chedder cheese CURD in the markets, probably too far from Canada!

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Cheese_curds/id/1959601

Cheese curds are the fresh curds of cheddar cheese. They are generally available in retail stores operated at cheese factories throughout the United States and Canada (notably in Wisconsin and Quebec).

Cheese curds are little-known in locations without cheese factories, because they must be eaten absolutely fresh, within hours of manufacture. After twelve hours, even under refrigeration, they have lost much of their "fresh curd" characteristics, particularly the "squeak." After twenty-four hours, they have lost the marks of freshness entirely. They have not become unwholesome or distasteful, but they are not fresh cheese curds any more—they are just boring, insufficiently aged cheese. No ordinary shipping method is sufficiently fast to preserve their flavor intact. If they are purchased locally, and need to be kept for a couple of days, room temperature, rather than refrigeration, does something to preserve the flavor and "squeak." Sonically impaired curds can sometimes have the "squeak" restored by no more than a couple of seconds in a microwave oven.

Fresh curds are roughly the size and shape of peanuts or, perhaps, Cheetos. The flavor is a mild, delicious, "fresh-dairy" taste. The texture and mouth feel is unique. They have about the same firmness as cheese, but have a springy or rubbery texture, rather than the yielding, clay-like texture of cheese. Fresh curds squeak against the teeth when bitten into. This squeak is perhaps the defining characteristic of fresh cheese curds. They are somewhat salty and have the same addictive, greed-inspiring charactistics as other salty snacks, although they are cool and moist rather than being dry and crunchy. The American variety are usually yellow or orange in color, like cheddar cheese. Other varieties, such as the Québécois variety, can be roughly the same color as white cheddar cheese.

The cheese is the most important part of good poutine. You must use FRESH white, cheddar cheese CURDS. These curds have a taste and texture very different than actual cheddar cheese. The cheese curds will actually squeak in your teeth as you bite them.

So this leads to finding Thai cheddar cheese factories. Are there any?

Edited by Jingthing

They didn't call it poutine but I think either Miguels or Ridgley's had things similar to it. I know Annabell on this forum is from Quebec and owns a restaurant/hotel. Perhaps she would be able to organize a Canadian food night.

Will check out Miguels ...their new restaurant is not too far from me.....Dacheeso is the Thai Comapny that makes cheeses and is not too far from the airport off Hang Dong Road which is by the way "Hideaway Cafe" as mentioned by Maccheroncini.....I go there sometimes so will check it out

A Canadian Food Night ...ummm.... could be fun and interesting ....any French Canadians out there know how to make a "Tourtière" (Meat Pie , the real French Canadian one ..Also yummy!), ?? Cretons (Minced Pork spread, paté, can also be 1/2 pork , 1/2 beef)....Any other dish suggestions ...??

They didn't call it poutine but I think either Miguels or Ridgley's had things similar to it. I know Annabell on this forum is from Quebec and owns a restaurant/hotel. Perhaps she would be able to organize a Canadian food night.

Will check out Miguels ...their new restaurant is not too far from me.....Dacheeso is the Thai Comapny that makes cheeses and is not too far from the airport off Hang Dong Road which is by the way "Hideaway Cafe" as mentioned by Maccheroncini.....I go there sometimes so will check it out

A Canadian Food Night ...ummm.... could be fun and interesting ....any French Canadians out there know how to make a "Tourtière" (Meat Pie , the real French Canadian one ..Also yummy!), ?? Cretons (Minced Pork spread, paté, can also be 1/2 pork , 1/2 beef)....Any other dish suggestions ...??

* Poutine

* Tourtiere

* Pate Chinois

* Cretons

* Soupe aux Pois

* Tarte aux Sucres

Too bad I don't know how to cook any of those except for poutine. Where's your restaurant Annabel?

Oh and what about some St-Viateur Bagel... you know these sesame bagel in Montreal that melts in your mouth. I used to go and eat them fresh off the oven. Arghghgh...

:D Get out of here....St Viateur Bagels .....Ok now I'm over drooling...There is nobody in the entire world who can make bagels like these guys...and they're still around with a line up as early as 6 am and sold out by 10 or 11 am ....I think I mentioned them in another thread...Those are the Real Bagels ....not all these fat doughy unchewable ones that everybody calls bagels ...

:):D ...unfortunately I have never made any of these wonderful dishes ...I know , I know , shame on me !!! That's why I was asking if there's Anybody Out There...? :D ...

If I had the time I would definitely do trials and figure some of them out but I'm just too busy right now

I don't think I'm allowed to give you my address on Thai Visa ...Will PM you

Are you French Canadian >?????

St Viateur Bagels in Thailand? They will be on the moon first. Don't be unreasonable.

Not the bagels you silly Jingthing.... :):D ...the other dishes,,,,...tourtière, Pea Soup, cretons etc....

Must be some French Canadians here who can make these ...É? Paté Chinois, tarte au sucre .....

I canèt organise anything now but maybe around end August I could...let's see

• 1 year later...

There is a smoothie/wrap restaurant on Moon Muang Road just North of Thapae Gate which had poutine! It didn't look as good as you can get in Quebec, I believe that they used grated cheese....but it is definitely close! Also, the california wrap there is delicious (and there is free internet!).

This cafe was a welcome indulgence in western/canadian food after being away for so long!

If you supply the cheese from Rimping, then hop out to get yourself some take-out of decent wedge-cut fries at one of the more Western eateries, or a fish n chip-ery, then grab some Raad Hnaa - wide noodles in gravy - I think you might be able to pull off an interesting East-West fusion hack of Poutine. I"m totally not even kidding. Throw the fries in your Raad Hnaa !

If you supply the cheese from Rimping, then hop out to get yourself some take-out of decent wedge-cut fries at one of the more Western eateries, or a fish n chip-ery, then grab some Raad Hnaa - wide noodles in gravy - I think you might be able to pull off an interesting East-West fusion hack of Poutine. I"m totally not even kidding. Throw the fries in your Raad Hnaa !

I recomend the chips at dukes just around the corner from the rimping.

I can make curds from any milk you care to supply; takes 90 mins. contact by pm if interested UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  I just read how to make cheddar whey  I can do it but takes most of a day

Edited by simoncnx