So Who Has Actually Changed?

lemel

the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration

I actually kind of felt sorry for the Brits over losing the BBC until a few creeps started in with the usual American bashing. I must not forget that most Brits are perfectly nice people even though their TV shows are so boring that nobody else wants to watch them.

This one can't even spell and his grammar is terrible. All of that "intelligent" British TV certainly did not help him a lick. :)

Not all of them are boring. I use to love Faulty Towers, and Benny Hill was hysterical. Aside from those two, haven't had much experience with British shows. Regarding America bashing, those who so engage usually are part of the illiterate faction, and therefore are unable to spell correctly.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually kind of felt sorry for the Brits over losing the BBC until a few creeps started in with the usual American bashing. I must not forget that most Brits are perfectly nice people even though their TV shows are so boring that nobody else wants to watch them.

This one can't even spell and his grammar is terrible. All of that "intelligent" British TV certainly did not help him a lick. :)

Rasseru has excellent taste in food and seems to try all of the better restaurants in Chiang Mai. Maybe he would be willing to share some insights with the rest of us?

(If he can find time between bashing people for spelling mistakes)

The words pot, kettle and black spring immediately to mind...........

Making a minor spelling mistake on a regular old non-insulting post is one thing, but making spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization mistakes on a post in which you are implying that Americans are stupid, is just plain... stupid! :D

boring Huh?

Don't shoot the messenger, try convicing True Visions. THEY are the ones that canned you. :)

You weren't the messenger, we knew about the loss of BBCE long ago.

However, you were the one who decided to unilaterally declare Brit TV boring.

so as your ascerbic comments seem to be intended to spark controversy every time you touch the keyboard, maybe you should have expected to have to don a fireproof suit.

is it perhaps you are stinging over the Brits running away with all the Tony Awards on Broadway this week ?

or maybe its Brit imported shows like The Office beating home grown offerings out of an award every year at the major TV awards ceremonies ?

Not all of them are boring. I use to love Faulty Towers, and Benny Hill was hysterical. Aside from those two, haven't had much experience with British shows. Regarding America bashing, those who so engage usually are part of the illiterate faction, and therefore are unable to spell correctly.

Black Adder and Da Ali G Show were good too! :)

Rasseru has excellent taste in food and seems to try all of the better restaurants in Chiang Mai. Maybe he would be willing to share some insights with the rest of us?

(If he can find time between bashing people for spelling mistakes)

The words pot, kettle and black spring immediately to mind...........

Making a minor spelling mistake on a regular old non-insulting post is one thing, but making spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization mistakes on a post in which you are implying that Americans are stupid, is just plain... stupid! :D

have you ever seen the ''Jaywalking'' feature on ''The Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

Edited by timekeeper

Black Adder and Da Ali G Show were good too! :)

Ulysses, you are aware you have contradicted yourself?

i note that ten minutes ago, you said that:

''their (Brit) TV shows are so boring that nobody else wants to watch them''

are you a closet Brit?

You can't use the quote feature properly either. I'm not sure that you are such a great advertisement for "intelligent" British TV. :)

is that ok for you, O mighty Ulysses?

did i manage to use the quote feature to your approval level?

so lets get to it, who died and made you the Queen of May?

did TV reject you as a mod and thought you would continue with it without their authority anyway?

maybe if you answered a question or gave any kind of intelligent response in a thread other than just delivering your smartass, holier than thou, one liners people would give you and your opinion more respect.

ask your Mum to turn off the adult content feature so that you can Google some real bad ass things to say to me

Edited by timekeeper

You might have come up with an idea to save the BBCE. Play nothing but Faulty Towers, Benny Hill, Black Adder and Da Ali G Show over and over again. Why don't you run the idea past True Visions before it is too late? :)

Just to get a bit of balance here.

I am a Brit, and I too mourn the passing of BBCE which had some excellent programmes, albeit repeated to the point where I wanted to scream.

OK we all have our likes and dislikes as far as TV fare is concerned, but IMHO, in recent years the Americans have also produced some very high quality TV progs, such as the Sopranos, Deadwood, House, Boston Legal, The Wire, Greys Anatomy, CSI, 24, Monk.... I could go on and on... and they are all shown on True's Star World, and sometimes on other channels, like AXN etc.

The problem is that I rarely, if ever, watch them because the programme breaks on Star World are almost as long as the programmes they are showing, and it drives me round the bend.

The big plus with BBCE was the short breaks. When they first put BBCE on air there no breaks whatsoever during a programme, and even now the breaks are usually reasonably short (only one per prog) and tolerable.

As for the American stuff (as per my above list), all are available on DVD at my local store for a very modest cost, and I can watch, pause and reschedule to my heart's content. I also get the very latest stuff, whereas Star World is usually 1-2 years behind.

I will survive the passing of BBCE, which as I have said many times, and others have agreed, is almost certainly down to money.

These people are used to rearing and selling chickens, and they think that TV programming is the same business.

Cancel the Road Island Reds, because only the Brits eat them! :)

You can't use the quote feature properly either. I'm not sure that you are such a great advertisement for "intelligent" British TV. :)

did TV reject you as a mod and thought you would continue with it without their authority anyway?

maybe if you answered a question or gave any kind of intelligent response in a thread other than just delivering your smartass, holier than thou, one liners people would give you and your opinion more respect.

ask your Mum to turn off the adult content feature so that you can Google some real bad ass things to say to me

Why be insulting when all UG did was point out the errors in your posts? It appears that he is trying to help you.

Edited by venturalaw

I am a Brit, and I too mourn the passing of BBCE which had some excellent programmes, albeit repeated to the point where I wanted to scream.

OK we all have our likes and dislikes as far as TV fare is concerned, but IMHO, in recent years the Americans have also produced some very high quality TV progs, such as the Sopranos, Deadwood, House, Boston Legal, The Wire, Greys Anatomy, CSI, 24, Monk.... I could go on and on... and they are all shown on True's Star World, and sometimes on other channels, like AXN etc.

In reality, I fully support my British brethren’s efforts to watch TV shows that they are familiar with and enjoy. It is the d*ckheads that have to resort to bashing Americans instead of making their case nicely - like Mobi does - that get my dander up.

I hope that you get BBCE back Mobi - and others like you! :)

In reality, I fully support my British brethren’s efforts to watch TV shows that they are familiar with and enjoy. It is the d*ckheads that have to resort to bashing Americans instead of making their case nicely - like Mobi does - that get my dander up.

I hope that you get BBCE back Mobi - and others like you! :)

Absolutely agree.

You might have come up with an idea to save the BBCE. Play nothing but Faulty Towers, Benny Hill, Black Adder and Da Ali G Show over and over again. Why don't you run the idea past True Visions before it is too late? :)

thats an idea ,why dont u b c get the gold channel from Britain where they show all the old series?

by the way the Americans make some excellent stuff,Frasier ,Friends ect ,its just when they try to "remake" british series they fall down spectacularly,British humour just doesnt travel well. its like wine or guiness :D

Why be insulting when all UG did was point out the errors in your posts? It appears that he is trying to help you.

have you looked over Ulyssess other posts and his efforts to ''help'' people?

he is an habitual smartass, who likes to lord it over other TV'ers that he sees as beneath his intelligence level

he regularly picks people up on spelling and grammer to try to prove his superior intellect to the poster

it would be a bonus if he ever answered anything or contributed something positive to the thread

do you see any answers to any questions asked of him on here?

no, only a sequence of smartass, single paragraph comments that have nothing to do with the thread, are only intended to incite controversy and insult the reader

i think they call such people on internet forums, Trolls

as to being insulting, if you read the thread in its entirity, i think you will see it was he who drew first blood........

Regarding America bashing, those who so engage usually are part of the illiterate faction, and therefore are unable to spell correctly.

Perhaps "usually", ventura; but not always. Barack Obama is quit literate, and he's spent the last several months bashing America to anyone and everyone who'll listen!

The problem is that I rarely, if ever, watch them because the programme breaks on Star World are almost as long as the programmes they are showing, and it drives me round the bend.

The big plus with BBCE was the short breaks. When they first put BBCE on air there no breaks whatsoever during a programme, and even now the breaks are usually reasonably short (only one per prog) and tolerable.

As for the American stuff (as per my above list), all are available on DVD at my local store for a very modest cost, and I can watch, pause and reschedule to my heart's content. I also get the very latest stuff, whereas Star World is usually 1-2 years behind.

I will survive the passing of BBCE, which as I have said many times, and others have agreed, is almost certainly down to money.

These people are used to rearing and selling chickens, and they think that TV programming is the same business.

Cancel the Road Island Reds, because only the Brits eat them! :)

I think most people despise frequent breaks, Mobi, whether for product commercials or programming promos. I certainly do. TrueV's own series channel, "True Series", runs all of its' shows without breaks, leaving gaps for some music videos and promos BETWEEN shows. And they do have some good shows there, both Brit and American. Regulars for me are: 'The Unit'; 'Prison Break'; 'The King of Queens'; 'How I Met Your Mother'; 'Two and a Half Men'; 'Shark'; 'Bones'; 'Navy NCIS'; and few others. As I said, there are several British shows as well; but, without getting into a face off about reasons, I don't enjoy watching most British programs.

as to being insulting, if you read the thread in its entirity, i think you will see it was he who drew first blood........

Lies, all lies. THIS illiterate rant is what prompted my response and is insulting to both Americans and Thais. :)

You have to remember UBC is American and there is a strong American influence in the programming.

I'm sure True just made a pure business decision cost and demand- it shows their viewers are either Americans, non discerning or if Thai want the less complicated plots anyway as they are watching stuff in a foreign language with a foreign context - the British tv will appear too inelligent and requiring concentration - not something Thai tv fosters or develops in the viewing public >

Anyone who watches thai tv will know it's ridiculous slapstick with over the top acting and uncomplicated plots ( dealing in stereotypes all the time) so as to never require any challenging thought in the viewer. American TV is often similar - just watch one of those History channel/ Discovery type programmes and count how many times the same facts are repeated and the story retold - to help the viewer consolidate understanding- unbelieveable ! Therefore the American programmes will be far more enjoyable and accessible to the thai viewing public.

by the way the Americans make some excellent stuff,Frasier ,Friends ect ,its just when they try to "remake" british series they fall down spectacularly,British humour just doesnt travel well. its like wine or guiness :D

Well said, thaimate. The fact is that, while we have a great deal in common, there ARE significant differences in our culture - as well as our "common" language. :D This isn't, or shouldn't be, a "negative" against either nation, or its' people. H*ll, the same is true WITHIN our respective countries, isn't it? Don't folks from Liverpool and Birmingham have some distinct differences in their culture and dialect; just as do folks from Georgia and New York?

So I hope those who are spending time here bashing each other, and their respective countries, will just shake (virtual) hands; and acknowledge that they have DIFFERENT tastes in entertainment, just as they do in food, drink ... and probalby women! :) I don't think we can claim a "right or wrong" in entertainment any more than we can in anything that is left to the senses - food, music, clothing, etc.. Look around us right here in Thailand. Don't most Thais have difficulty appreciating either British or American humor that is above the level of slapstick? That doesn't make them "wrong". It's a cultural thing. Nothing more. :D

Oh, I, too, sincerely hope that those who enjoyed BBCE get it back. There is certainly enough space available in the TrueV system to provide plenty of entertainment for all of us. It's up to what they can afford; and what our lobbying convinces them to provide for us.

Back on topic, we had the gold package that I VERY seldom watched. My Thai wife asked me why we should pay for something I seldom used. She had a good point. I told her that if she too didn't want it, to go ahead and cancel. She contacted a local satellite dish guy and he put in a similar sized dish for about 3,000 baht. There is no monthly charge. It has about three English speaking channels that True didn't have. She is satisfied with the selection and I don't much care either way. I do like the fact that there are no more monthly fees.

Back on topic, we had the gold package that I VERY seldom watched. My Thai wife asked me why we should pay for something I seldom used. She had a good point. I told her that if she too didn't want it, to go ahead and cancel. She contacted a local satellite dish guy and he put in a similar sized dish for about 3,000 baht. There is no monthly charge. It has about three English speaking channels that True didn't have. She is satisfied with the selection and I don't much care either way. I do like the fact that there are no more monthly fees.

Gary, are you saying that this has all of the TrueV channels, PLUS about 3 others? What's the name of the satellite that you're linked to? There might be a lot of business availabe for this guy if you can give us more specifics. On the personal level, I have a 10 ft moveable dish, in addition to the small TrueV dish. So I'd LOVE to know what satellite (and its' address) to aim at!!

Regarding America bashing, those who so engage usually are part of the illiterate faction, and therefore are unable to spell correctly.

Perhaps "usually", ventura; but not always. Barack Obama is quit literate, and he's spent the last several months bashing America to anyone and everyone who'll listen!

Off topic, but in response, I couldn't agree more. Obama is determined to destroy America (at least ruin the economy) to rationalize his swooping in with a 'government fix' (an oxymoron). It's absolutely disgusting.

Off topic, but in response, I couldn't agree more. Obama is determined to destroy America (at least ruin the economy) to rationalize his swooping in with a 'government fix' (an oxymoron). It's absolutely disgusting.

sorry to continue the off-topic rant here, but if you really think George Bush and Barack Obama are 2 different people, you are wrong. they are but cut from the same cloth. do you really think the powers that be would let us stupid Americans vote for a president? hel_l no, broseph, hel_l no. everything you see and experience (economy, mortgage, banks, autos, depression, recession) is absolutely done on purpose. someone is making money and let's not be silly enough to blame the "President". he's just an actor, like all the ones before him (particularly Reagan)...

thank you all for your replies and Its been interesting to see the different points of view, but is there really any credible alternatives and at a competative price, to what is presently available, without having to rely on 100% internet connection or have a 50ft dish in the garden????? what do you think

thank you all for your replies and Its been interesting to see the different points of view, but is there really any credible alternatives and at a competative price, to what is presently available, without having to rely on 100% internet connection or have a 50ft dish in the garden????? what do you think

I must have told you at least 3 times on this and other threads.

The main alternative is Multi choice which is beamed from South Africa. It has probabaly as many channels as True, including many sports channels, Movie channels, series channels (American), all the major news channels (BBC, CNN, Bloomberg, Sky News etc), kids channels, AND... Ladies and gentlemen: BBC Entertainment. :)

Many American programmes and series shown on True, are also shown on the Multi choice channels.

All you need is a DSTV fixed dish, a reliable internet connection, a box decoder, and you take out a modest monthly subscription to service who send the unscrambling signals. Bit of a hassle to set up, but once there, it is better and much cheaper than True. And if you also have a True dish, the same system will also unscramble all the True channels for an additional monthly fee. (you don't need a True box, just the dish)

J Sat will do Multichoice for you, but they are quite expensive, and not recommended if you live outside Bangkok. It is much cheaper to "do it yourself", but you need to know how.

On top of all that, I have around 60 cable channels down here in Banglamung, with quite a number of English channels, including Super sport, Euro sport, BBC W, Fox News, at least 6 Movie channels, kids & cartoon channels etc.

I can live very well as far as TV is concerned, without paying a penny to True, and it is all so unnecessary. If they had provided a professional service, with some understanding of their customers' needs, and not tried to screw every last Baht out of us at every turn, I would never have looked for alternatives.

Edited by Mobi

Someone makes a daft generalisation about American people, so you make a daft generalisation about British TV. This is exactly how debates on ThaiVisa spiral downwards to nothing more than childish spats.