400cc

A30

This has probably been asked before but...

Can someone explain step by step how to register a bike of 400cc please.

Also why do some used bikes have a red number plate.

Thanks.

You need all the receipts for the import of the engine and parts. It will then cost you anywhere from 30,000 baht up to get the bike registered. Without the import receipts you are not going to get it done. I hope you have not just bought a bike without any of the papers needed ?

You need all the receipts for the import of the engine and parts. It will then cost you anywhere from 30,000 baht up to get the bike registered. Without the import receipts you are not going to get it done. I hope you have not just bought a bike without any of the papers needed ?

No, I've not bought anything, just asking the question, as 95% of bikes for sale aren't registered.

A30. if you are new to bikes in Thailand. then buy a Kawa ninja250 150,000b or a Er6 225,000baht.

The Ninja will give about the same performance as the likes of a cb400,xjr400. but be much more reliable.

If ya want to try one for a few days i have the number of the hire place in Pattaya that does ninjas and er6's

Allan

A30. if you are new to bikes in Thailand. then buy a Kawa ninja250 150,000b or a Er6 225,000baht.

The Ninja will give about the same performance as the likes of a cb400,xjr400. but be much more reliable.

If ya want to try one for a few days i have the number of the hire place in Pattaya that does ninjas and er6's

Allan

Thanks Allan.

Yeh both nice bikes but out of my price range, so looking to buy one older and cheaper.

Cb400 and sr400 seem to be the most popular so not so much of a problem getting spare parts.

Where are you in Thailand. because that can make a big difference to what to look for. Example where i am outside Bangkok, having a bike with a grey book is no major problem with the BIB(i still would not like it). But in Pattaya,Bangkok,Phuket it can be major headaches.

The thing to think about is repairs and spare parts. I had a Cbr250 that cost me 35,000b to buy but then about 30-40 thou over 2.5 years (only running properley for approx 18months).

Admittedly some of that money was badly spent, but that goes back to who can repair it (16thou on an engine rebuild that went pop after just 3 weeks)

You can get good ones thou. Mine was to cheap when i brought it i didn't know sqat about Thailands big bike scene. Now i'm a lot wiser. If ya spend about 80,000 you should get a very good one (should be legalish as well)

Where are you in Thailand. because that can make a big difference to what to look for. Example where i am outside Bangkok, having a bike with a grey book is no major problem with the BIB(i still would not like it). But in Pattaya,Bangkok,Phuket it can be major headaches.

The thing to think about is repairs and spare parts. I had a Cbr250 that cost me 35,000b to buy but then about 30-40 thou over 2.5 years (only running properley for approx 18months).

Admittedly some of that money was badly spent, but that goes back to who can repair it (16thou on an engine rebuild that went pop after just 3 weeks)

You can get good ones thou. Mine was to cheap when i brought it i didn't know sqat about Thailands big bike scene. Now i'm a lot wiser. If ya spend about 80,000 you should get a very good one (should be legalish as well)

Whats a grey book?

Whats a grey book?

Its an illegally 'doctored' book

Yer pays yer money,yer takes yer chances.

Dave

Whats a grey book?

Uh ho !!

Buy new.. Will save you heartache..

When you are in the market for a new affordable 250 cc, look at the Tiger 250 RS. It's made outside Bangkok. Some buyers opt for performance tires and choose their custom paint job at the factory for under 80 grand. Chris

post-7704-1244891213_thumb.jpg

So far lots of advice but no answer to my original question.

How do I register a big bike in Thailand?

Also the red plate situation....

I assume that its the same of cars? Its a temporary plate that dealers provide until the registration process is complete.

I understand if driving with red plate it must be within the city/location where it was issued and vehicle used during daylight hours only.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity for the tight shirted brigade to obtain a bit of 'Tea money'

Dave

The advice is to go to a mechanic/shop or dealer that has experience in doing it, and pay them to do it. The simplified version of the process is you take the import/invoice paperwork for the bike (showing that the taxes have been paid) to the Thai land transport bureau who will then issue a book. The real answer is that it is more complicated than that, you may or may not have to have emissions done on it, and the process is so complex that I don't know of anyone on this board who has posted about successfully doing it. There are numerous bike shops and dealers that have experience about doing it and it is best to pay them to do it.

The advice is to go to a mechanic/shop or dealer that has experience in doing it, and pay them to do it. The simplified version of the process is you take the import/invoice paperwork for the bike (showing that the taxes have been paid) to the Thai land transport bureau who will then issue a book. The real answer is that it is more complicated than that, you may or may not have to have emissions done on it, and the process is so complex that I don't know of anyone on this board who has posted about successfully doing it. There are numerous bike shops and dealers that have experience about doing it and it is best to pay them to do it.

Thanks submaniac, sound advice.

One other thing to consider. if you pay say 60,000 for the bike then 60,000 for the book (120,000) you still only have a bike thats worth 80,000-100,000 thou. The price difference between book or no book is 20,000 to 30,000 thou.

Just a thought.