New Police Scam - Got Set Up Today

Tokay

The "free" in freeway has nothing to do with freedom to pass. They call it a freeway because it is a highway with no intersection so traffic is free to flow.

Thank buddha for wikipedia.

Freeways mean free to pass on either side? :) Hilarious.

Yup, lived in Texas for 10 years and that was what a Texas DPS Trooper told told me. I guess they are full of sh!t too.

Nope, I suspect it's just you.

From a Texas Traffic Laws site:

Drive right, pass left

§545.051 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY

An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Before I explain this one, let me ask you this: where is the fastest water in a river? In the middle, of course. Why? Because this is the place with the least friction. This is the deepest part of the river and there are no ragged edges to slow the water. A highway works the same way (think of it as a two-way river.) The right lane has the most friction: entering and exiting traffic and stalled vehicles on the shoulder. The left lane has virtually no friction. That is why it is reserved for faster-moving traffic.

Imagine this scenario: you're in the left lane on the freeway going faster than other traffic and you come up behind someone going a little slower than you. Instead of waiting a few seconds for them to move over, you whip around them on the right. At the same time, someone going much slower than you is trying to get on the freeway at the same location. Now, both of you are creating a big hazard for each other and someone is going to have to give. This is why (a) you shouldn't pass on the right; and you should move to the right if you're traveling slower than other traffic. The second part applies no matter how fast you are going. Notice that the law only says that traffic moving "more slowly" than other vehicles; there is no exception given for vehicles traveling the posted speed limit. If you're going the speed limit in the left lane and someone behind you wants to go faster, move over! It is neither your right nor your privilege to enforce the law, and you're actually violating the law by not moving over. You never know-- that person may have a bonafide emergency. On the other hand, if you're the one behind the slower driver, have a little patience and give them a few seconds to move over before you zip around them. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone in the left lane who wanted to move over but got trapped there because everyone immediately passed them on the right. Plus, the weaving of the driver who constantly passes people causes hazards for other drivers and frequently results in "kinks" in the traffic flow. "

http://www.texashighwayman.com/laws.htm

Please tell us some more porkies...

Edited by Texpat

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The "free" in freeway has nothing to do with freedom to pass. They call it a freeway because it is a highway with no intersection so traffic is free to flow.

Yup, lived in Texas for 10 years and that was what a Texas DPS Trooper told told me. I guess they are full of sh!t too.

Drive right, pass left

§545.051 - DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY

An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Before I explain this one, let me ask you this: where is the fastest water in a river? In the middle, of course. Why? Because this is the place with the least friction. This is the deepest part of the river and there are no ragged edges to slow the water. A highway works the same way (think of it as a two-way river.) The right lane has the most friction: entering and exiting traffic and stalled vehicles on the shoulder. The left lane has virtually no friction. That is why it is reserved for faster-moving traffic.

Imagine this scenario: you're in the left lane on the freeway going faster than other traffic and you come up behind someone going a little slower than you. Instead of waiting a few seconds for them to move over, you whip around them on the right. At the same time, someone going much slower than you is trying to get on the freeway at the same location. Now, both of you are creating a big hazard for each other and someone is going to have to give. This is why (a) you shouldn't pass on the right; and you should move to the right if you're traveling slower than other traffic. The second part applies no matter how fast you are going. Notice that the law only says that traffic moving "more slowly" than other vehicles; there is no exception given for vehicles traveling the posted speed limit. If you're going the speed limit in the left lane and someone behind you wants to go faster, move over! It is neither your right nor your privilege to enforce the law, and you're actually violating the law by not moving over. You never know-- that person may have a bonafide emergency. On the other hand, if you're the one behind the slower driver, have a little patience and give them a few seconds to move over before you zip around them. I can't count the number of times I've seen someone in the left lane who wanted to move over but got trapped there because everyone immediately passed them on the right. Plus, the weaving of the driver who constantly passes people causes hazards for other drivers and frequently results in "kinks" in the traffic flow. "

OK maybe this will make you feel better.

A few years ago near that intersection I came down the soi and was turning onto Beach Rd. My motobike had a good grip on rear of seat for putting on the stand. Anyway I was looking for traffic up Beach Rd so I could pull out. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a ladyboy decending to rear of my motobike. I could feel the LB grip the hand grip on back of seat. I then sped up and could hear the high heel shoes clacking on the pavement. I went extremely fast and could see in my rear view mirror the LB bust their ass. A great satisfaction came over me.

Now you have warned us and I will be looking for this type of scam. I will now drive off if able to prevent such an occurance.

Thank You Very BIG

:)

Heh, one of the reasons I like my CBR is there's no footpegs for a pillion passenger unless you know how to unclip them from underneath the back fairing :D

If a lady I've brought back to my bike see's there's no pegs she sulks, until I unclip them from the recess and it's all smiles again :D

So, after some nasty words with the dark buffalo of a policeman, I ended up at Soi 9 where I tried to plead my case to a higher up there.

I paid my 400 baht and left.

You have been warned.

P.S. If I get this footage, I will post it here first. That is of course, unless the mods delete it.

with yer atitude...consider yerself very lucky...he could have tossed you in the clink and let you rot.

maybe a samile by you would have produced a different result :D

now you want to compound yer troubles? :)

Driven all over the world, left-hand drive and right-hand drive, the 'outside' lane or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane has ALWAYS been the one FURTHEST from THE DRIVERS nearest kerb or hard shoulder or ditch. On a standard 2-way road, that is also the lane that oncoming or contraflow traffic is on, ie. coming at you. If you factor in the divided highway mentality, then the 'outside' lane will always be the one NEAREST to the dividing median but it's STILL the 'outside' or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane.

Now Americans buggered that global dynamic with their invention, the 'freeway' where the 'free' part means you can legally pass on EITHER side of anything moving slower than you. That's where someone passing you on the inside or outside can become a debatable point.

And has been pointed out correctly earlier, the 'hard-shoulder in Thailand is also where contraflow traffic ALWAYS exists... ON BOTH SIDES, IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, USUALLY AT THE SAME TIME AND INVARIABLY AT NIGHT WITH NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Now that we have that sorted out, what do you think about all these ugly rumours about Pattaya's finest being on the take?

Slimeballs. Dickheads and a lot more too.

OK ?? :)

Wow, there are a lot of good posts in this thread.

Regarding the whole, I should laugh it off and maybe he would let me go theory, in this case his only intention was to write a ticket. A read two TV members say they think they saw me when this happened. It may have been me or another falang after me (or before) in the same scam. I don't think making light with him would have changed anything, as he was not enforcing the law and was trying to meet a quota. This cop wasn't having it and jumped out angry right out of the gate like a guard dog. Him, the girl and the taxi drivers had a nice little racket going on that day.

They are not all bad though. I had a somewhat good experience with a cop a few weeks ago. You all know after 1am you can usually drive with no helmet around town. I take mine off around 2am (if I'm even out that late) to be safe. Well, it was my luck that at 3am a lone cop was sitting at the Walking Street bend. He flagged me right away. He got me, I had it off, so I was going to take my lumps and move on, but what happened next made me and the cop laugh, resulting in me getting a lesser charge.

He writes me a ticket and I notice there are two marks. I ask him what the second mark was and he said, "no have Thai license." I said, "how do you know? you didn't ask?" He says, "falang never have." I laughed, patted him on the back and asked him why he was so smart. He lauged with me. At that time a group of sexy Thai girls walked out to catch a baht bus and he tapped me and tried to push me to them. He was a fun cop, and we both laughed. I then told him that I live here and help take care of Pattaya when there are no tourists and that Pattaya should help take care of falang like me. To my surprise he tool the ticket from me and marked off the no hemet charge only leaving me with a no license charge. He was totally cool and every time I see him out I smile and wave to him. He's the guy that usually hangs out there, always in a mask now with glasses. Super nice guy. So they are not all bad. It's just the bad apples that drive us crazy.

I didn't go out tonight to look for the scamming bastage, but now keep my little cam under the bike seat for when I do.

Whatever his scam is or another cops is, it doesn't matter really. Just be on guard and know they are going to get worse and money tightens around here.

with yer atitude...consider yerself very lucky...he could have tossed you in the clink and let you rot.

maybe a samile by you would have produced a different result :D

now you want to compound yer troubles? :)

So I've got the bad attitude? :D

I've been here for a little over 10 years now, been all over the country many, many times and NEVER ONCE had a "policeman" jump me in this manner, be so rude and pull such a flat out scam. He was a bulldog who clearly hates falang. Usually they are polite and get that in return. Never a problem even when they are trying to make an extra 100 baht. This pissed off c*nt of a policeman is bad news.

I'm not the only person he did this to and now that the board knows, I may not even be the one to film it and expose his scam. Someone else may beat me to it and I hope they do. It's not like I'm going to walk up to him with my camera and ask for an interview, nor will anyone else for that manner. You could sit on the beach side and zoom in without anyone knowing about it. hel_l, you could probably sit INSIDE of Pizza hut and film it as well. I wouldn't even be surprised if the whole thing is caught on CCTV there from one of the businesses.

First of all she should have got the ticket not you and second you never pay the police on the spot you go to the station.... something ain't right here.

She hopped off the bike and went who knows where. The cop was not concerned with her. I did get a ticket and had to pay at the station, which leads me to believe either the cop has a quota to fill or the station knew about what was going on. Given the fact that nobody at the station cared at all about what I was telling them, I can't say either way, but it doesn't make them look good in my eyes.

I would have expected him to want a pay-off right there on the spot but I was sent to Soi 9. Perhaps this is because I didn't give into him so easy and he just wrote me up to get rid of me. I don't know. Or maybe the station is just tired of hearing stories from falang about how bad the police is. No way of telling and to be honest, I don't want to know what goes on inside the minds of some of these people.

Getting off topic here but where does the 'tex' in texpat come from? Dallas? Lubbock?

If you try and observe the 'law' as you researched it and drive in Houston by the letter of that 'law' as you researched it (that's the bold bits in your post), you will end up a traffic accident statistic before ever becoming a moving traffic violation. It's sort of like being in one of them cattle stampedes and the thundering herd sort of swarms around you ON BOTH SIDES.

Next you will be telling me that a vehicle has to come to a complete stop at a 'STOP' sign!!! Maybe you are one of them "kinks" in the traffic flow?

Cute river analogy tho', sort of goes with the herding steers approach to Texas driver's ed.

Thanks for the laugh... nice to start the day with a smile.

Meanwhile, back at the Soi 13/2 traffic stop, let's see what Tonto and the Lone Ranger are up to eh?

Edited by NanLaew

Getting off topic here but where does the 'tex' in texpat come from? Dallas? Lubbock?

If you try and observe the 'law' as you researched it and drive in Houston by the letter of that 'law' as you researched it (that's the bold bits in your post), you will end up a traffic accident statistic before ever becoming a moving traffic violation. It's sort of like being in one of them cattle stampedes and the thundering herd sort of swarms around you ON BOTH SIDES.

Next you will be telling me that a vehicle has to come to a complete stop at a 'STOP' sign!!! Maybe you are one of them "kinks" in the traffic flow?

Cute river analogy tho', sort of goes with the herding steers approach to Texas driver's ed.

Thanks for the laugh... nice to start the day with a smile.

Meanwhile, back at the Soi 13/2 traffic stop, let's see what Tonto and the Lone Ranger are up to eh?

Must have a ball in San Antonio at the River Walk Boats

:)

You think I had to use Wikipedia to know that? It's basic commonsense and to suggest that the "free" in freeway has anything to do with freedom to pass is hilarious.

Driven all over the world, left-hand drive and right-hand drive, the 'outside' lane or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane has ALWAYS been the one FURTHEST from THE DRIVERS nearest kerb or hard shoulder or ditch. On a standard 2-way road, that is also the lane that oncoming or contraflow traffic is on, ie. coming at you. If you factor in the divided highway mentality, then the 'outside' lane will always be the one NEAREST to the dividing median but it's STILL the 'outside' or 'fast' or 'overtaking' lane.

Now Americans buggered that global dynamic with their invention, the 'freeway' where the 'free' part means you can legally pass on EITHER side of anything moving slower than you. That's where someone passing you on the inside or outside can become a debatable point.

And has been pointed out correctly earlier, the 'hard-shoulder in Thailand is also where contraflow traffic ALWAYS exists... ON BOTH SIDES, IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, USUALLY AT THE SAME TIME AND INVARIABLY AT NIGHT WITH NO TAIL LIGHTS.

Now that we have that sorted out, what do you think about all these ugly rumours about Pattaya's finest being on the take?

I dont care what you or anyone else says. The outside lane will always be the lane on the outside of the roadway. The inside lane will always be the lane on the inside of the roadway. Anything else is either N. American or just plain old doesnt make sense (so obviously N. American). :)

Edited by tuky

Sorry to bang on, I just can't get my head around some countries referring to the overtaking lane as the inside lane.

In the Uk I would pull out to overtake, in America you pull in to overtake?

I would pull in to the kerb to park, Americans pull out to the kerb to park?

Sorry to bang on, I just can't get my head around some countries referring to the overtaking lane as the inside lane.

In the Uk I would pull out to overtake, in America you pull in to overtake?

I would pull in to the kerb to park, Americans pull out to the kerb to park?

hehehe.

I have a hard time trying to understand it too mate. Seeing as the overtaking lane is inside the road and the curb is outside the road. How do you say that the curb is on the inside of the road?

In Australia we pull over to over take. And overtaking is done usually on the other side of the road. Or on the inside lane if it is dual lanes.

But never mind. I think this is one that both sides of the arguement will never come to terms with the other side, or is the inside? well you know what I mean.

(It has been fun tho right?)

You think I had to use Wikipedia to know that? It's basic commonsense and to suggest that the "free" in freeway has anything to do with freedom to pass is hilarious.

G'day sunshine!

I've had a Texas driver's license for the last 56 years.

I never heard this "free to pass on either side" theory expounded by anybody until reading this post.

What angers me is not the incident itself that I am about to describe or the way it was handled but what kind of message is being given to Thai school children and what kind of value systems do they develop when the police are telling them "You can do anything you like while riding or driving a motorbike but adults will be pulled over for any reason at all, especially when they are not wearing helmets, and by adults I mean Thai adults and Westerners.

I live on Pattaya Naklua Soi 16 and there is a school at the beginning of this street. When school lets out the Thai police are here directing traffic. Most of the kids on motorbikes leaving the school are not wearing helmets. And there are as many as four kids on a single motorbike. Since the police are actually directing traffic the police are telling these children, it is okay for you to drive without helmets and as many of you as you like on a motorbike. And you can drive anyway you like. No rules for you. Now I don't know if this is typical for all school children in Thailand or even Pattaya but this is the case for this school and these kids--everyday.

Then I received my first 400 baht barfine for a helmet violation one month ago. I had picked up a very cute 22 year old girl at her bar after parking my motorbike in front of the bar. I pulled one helmet from the bike and put it on my head and handed her the other helmet. After giving her ample time to put it on, get comfortable on the bike, and watch for my opening in the traffic I drove off. When I got to the Dolphin Circle I encountered a police road block where I was immediately pulled over. This was right in front of Best Supermarket. I was told my bike would be kept there but that I would have to pay 400 baht at the police station, then I could come back and reclaim my bike. Then the policeman in charge told me the reason I had been pulled over was the girl on the back was not wearing a helmet. She must have held the helmet in her hand that I had told her to put on. I indicated this to the police officer and he laughed in a good natured way. I still had to pay the fine though. I then asked him if I could avoid going to the police station on Soi 9. He made a phone call, then called a motorbike taxi driver over. I wound up paying 500 baht, the 400 baht fine, plus 100 baht for the motorbike taxi driver, a bit high, but I was only too glad not to have to spend the next hour to 2 hours dealing with my fine at the police station.

I can understand my being ticketed because my passenger did not obey the law. Several times Thai women have tried to get out of wearing helmets because they were worried about their hair and I made them wear helmets. And this particular police officer was very polite and accomodating (except he did not let me out of the ticket). And two Thai guys were pulled over right after I was. What is despicable is the fact that school childen are taught to disrespect the law. What I find even more despicable is the police here in Pattaya allowing people to drive anyway they like--the wrong way against the flow of traffic, on sidewalks, running red lights, recklessly, and so on ad nauseum. The police are responsible for creating a very dangerous driving environment and the boys at the top are most at fault for their failure to insist that all policeman do their jobs or lose them.

this guy comes nearly everyday, depending in what mood he is in. the better the mood the less he holds up people.

on that day i still remember that he was mumbling "man why do i have to catch these people, i did not even finished my game of chess"

he always comes to play with the motorbike taxies.

so if you want to film him catching and stoping other drivers, well that is his job.

better catching him on a game of chess and just sitting around doing nothing, rather then making his catches of the day.

I'm disappointed guys........

Noone has introduced the "nearside" and "offside" of the car into the "nearside and outside" lane debate.

( :) .... Sits and waits.....)

Funny, I thought about mentioning that two, but decided against it as it was probably only going to confuse issues :D further. I don't think many people know of or use these terms before, unless of course they have been involved in law enforcement or litigation.

I've had a Texas driver's license for the last 56 years.

I never heard this "free to pass on either side" theory expounded by anybody until reading this post.

Not a theory; I lived in Houston for the best part of 12 years (1991-2003) and I visit there a couple of times a year on business. The fact that the law says you cannot pass on the left of a slower moving vehicle means buggerall to the average Houstonian at rush-hour. Watch one of their live tollway webcams some time. Don't try and tell me that Texas drivers generally DO NOT pass wherever there's a open space - path of least resistance.

Having a TX DL for 56 years means that you have been a legal driver for 56 years, very good and I am happy for you. Doesn't mean you have obeyed the law these past 56 though does it? Unless your a former DPS bullsh!tter as well.

Meanwhile, back at Soi 13/2, Tonto, disguised as a wardrobe, had his knob shot off by the Lone Ranger. More on this later. But now the weather....

Edited by NanLaew

Noone has introduced the "nearside" and "offside" of the car into the "nearside and outside" lane debate.

Funny, I thought about mentioning that two, but decided against it as it was probably only going to confuse issues :D further. I don't think many people know of or use these terms before, unless of course they have been involved in law enforcement or litigation.

And then there's the 'fore' and 'aft' aspect of the vehicle to be considered. Quite relevant when going the wrong way on the hard shoulder, kerb, bit on the side between the tarmac, bitumen, concrete and the soft bits (whatever that's called) and you hit the 'fore/aft' of some other vehicle doing a quasi-legal overtaking maneuver.

And then there's the 'fore' and 'aft' aspect of the vehicle to be considered. Quite relevant when going the wrong way on the hard shoulder, kerb, bit on the side between the tarmac, bitumen, concrete and the soft bits (whatever that's called) and you hit the 'fore/aft' of some other vehicle doing a quasi-legal overtaking maneuver.

You must be talking about when you are driving on the 'verge' of the road. Very good point, one must not forget their 'fore' and 'aft' ! :D

and to think, we havent even addressed the issue of those vehicles that arent travelling 'Perpendicular' to the direction in which the road lays. :D

Edited by neverdie

He was a fun cop, and we both laughed. I then told him that I live here and help take care of Pattaya when there are no tourists and that Pattaya should help take care of falang like me. To my surprise he tool the ticket from me and marked off the no hemet charge only leaving me with a no license charge. He was totally cool and every time I see him out I smile and wave to him. He's the guy that usually hangs out there, always in a mask now with glasses. Super nice guy. So they are not all bad. It's just the bad apples that drive us crazy.

Case in point! You could also turn the bad ones to your side too, its entirely down to your skill. There is no such thing as a thai cop who cannot be turned. Its their nature to bond, form relationships and put you in a certain category as soon as possible after meeting you. Up to you if you can exploit this or not.

before (long time ago) everyone was riding around without a helmet. then they made a law indicating that the driver shall wear a helmet at all times when riding a bike, then to the present they say both have to wear a full face chin helmet for the protection all the face.

strangly i never saw any one wearing a full face helmet because even the police them selfs have just got an eggshell on the head.