Manual Vs Automatic Transmission

Denim

Don't forget that all this training might go to waste as only pickups are guaranteed to have manuals while cars offer them on the cheapest, stripped of all features versions as carmakers assume that only people who are very short on funds would choose manual over auto.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought an auto truck as the missus was new to driving and with a baby on board I wanted her concentrating on the driving rather than having to incorporate changing gear as well. Great decision, would never consider a manual. Just easier all around.

carmakers assume that only people who are very short on funds would choose manual over auto.

Not really. Nearly all the cars you see on the roads I purchased via finance companies. The monthly repayments on a manual are pretty well the same as on an automatic.

I've owned both and feel that both have their goodpoints but personaly prefer a manual. If I was going to let my gf drive however I'd plumb for something as automatic as possible !!

The BIL has an automatic, and I hate even been in it as a passenger. The bloody things hunting all the time. In the UK you have to pass a 2nd test if you learn in an automatic. I can understand why Thais prefer automatics though after following them up steep hill around here. Changing down gears must equal a loss of face. :)

automatic transmission - considering being not a car driving maniac, most important is convenience. Left hand is free for other activities.
Well said ,how are we supposed to use the phone/eat/ drink whilst changing gear, oh no, give me an automatic anyday,. :D

Sounds american :)

Nearly all the cars you see on the roads I purchased via finance companies. The monthly repayments on a manual are pretty well the same as on an automatic.

Not really true.

What's the spread between manual and top of the line Jazz? 150k? That's a lot of money, quite a difference in both downpayment and monthly installments. Those manuals have always been considered as cheapest, entry level, first buyer vehicles.

Now we have Protons for that market segment, though, but neither Honda nor Toyota has changed their policies yet. Let's see what will be offered in upcoming Mazda2/Ford Fiesta.

People buy cars to drive, not to tow them around, so they might not see the usefulness of manuals for that purpose

People don't buy cars to push start them either. I've never seen anyone push starting his car here, only an ad for M-150 or something. Maybe they should buy manuals to enjoy that bonding activity. Are they missing a lot?

Ever heard the term......' shit happens '. A friends got a brand new Automatic Honda Jazz but within a week he had accidently flattened the battery ! Had to go out and buy jump leads and get his neighbour to jump him.

Toyotas usually include emergency kits with every car, so no need to go and buy jump leads.

Neighbour, btw, was probably happier to let him start the car off his battery than push that Jazz down the soi himself.

Emergency kits in Toyota?

I have purchased new last 5 years one Yaris, two Vigo, one Fortuner and one Camry. No emergency kit in any of them, and certanly no jump leads.

And no need no doubt ... :)

People buy cars to drive, not to tow them around, so they might not see the usefulness of manuals for that purpose

People don't buy cars to push start them either. I've never seen anyone push starting his car here, only an ad for M-150 or something. Maybe they should buy manuals to enjoy that bonding activity. Are they missing a lot?

Ever heard the term......' shit happens '. A friends got a brand new Automatic Honda Jazz but within a week he had accidently flattened the battery ! Had to go out and buy jump leads and get his neighbour to jump him.

Toyotas usually include emergency kits with every car, so no need to go and buy jump leads.

Neighbour, btw, was probably happier to let him start the car off his battery than push that Jazz down the soi himself.

Emergency kits in Toyota?

I have purchased new last 5 years one Yaris, two Vigo, one Fortuner and one Camry. No emergency kit in any of them, and certanly no jump leads.

And no need no doubt ... :)

Manual, cause in Bangkok traffic it's just the best thing to use:

1) Gives you something to do while sitting in a traffic jam.

2) Exercise for the body, leg and arm muscles.

3) Exercise for the mind, which gear next?...

4) Save on fuel costs, because manual is just sooo much more economical than automatics... I researched this using my calculator and ruler.

5) Manuals can go so much faster 0-60... in case you need to jump into the next lane during a traffic jam.

6) Can push-start !!!! The most important factor when buying ANY car !!!

I was being sarcastic. Been driving auto's for +10 years now and love it. I like manuals on track, but on the road.. give me a freakin' auto.

Oh, my battery ran dead one time.. sadly I couldn't push-start it.. i panicked !!! What to do!!?? Searching hi and low.. Wife then asked why I didn't just call the auto service.(duh)... So I did, within 15 minutes the auto service came to the rescue and jump started my car.

I do miss pushing a ton of something on wheels down the road though... <yeah, right>

If anyone cares to leave their number here on the forum.. i'll make sure you get called when someone needs a push.

automatic transmission - considering being not a car driving maniac, most important is convenience. Left hand is free for other activities.
Well said ,how are we supposed to use the phone/eat/ drink whilst changing gear, oh no, give me an automatic anyday,. :D

Sounds american :)

Brit actually,.but i did live there for 2 years, a "stick shift" is hard to sell in the USA,. :D

depends on the car.. for a a honda jizz or the toyota equivelant, these are purely for getting from A to B and the less hassle the better, they are not a car that you would buy for trills....you look like a &lt;deleted&gt; driving one of those fast unless you are a spotty 17 yo

Couldn't believe it when i was over in the states that most of the Ford Mustangs I looked at were auto... what is that all about ??

Conditioning and Current affairs ??!! what the heck am i talking about.

Europe fuel prices are 3 times or more higher than USA. So I figure, those guys are doing everything they can to get their money worth.

In USA, those guys are just smilin'... hint: Hummer, Ford Explorer, Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition, Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, etc... these cars/suv did very well in the states... the last thing on their minds.... fuel efficency.

I may say that the Yanks are lazy for driving auto's,.. but they've been condition to consume fuel at a high rate without thought.... and auto's just benefited from this conditioning. Auto's have come a long way, think paddle shifts, DSG, etc. it will continue to evolve and amaze us all....

In Europe, well... i still can't find the fun in driving manual in a city or thru traffic jams... but hey... it does save fuel.. and it is a bit faster.... never mind that the majority are driving 1.8 liter econo's. Every little bit helps.

The standard difference between a manual and the equivalent specification automatic is Bt40,000. Repayments plus interest are obviously around Bt1000 extra over 4 years (40,000 - the extra deposit + interest / 48 months) and the deposit increases by the deposit % times the 40,000. With 20% down, you'd pay an extra 8k up front and pay a bit less than Bt1000 a month extra for the automatic.

As for fuel economy, then the quoted figures mean nothing. Town driving, stop and start, short journeys, aggressive driving and the big killer, air conditioning, all weigh on fuel consumption far more than whether it is an auto or not.

The standard difference between a manual and the equivalent specification automatic is Bt40,000.

I just checked Toyota website, it's true only for the same grade, but manuals are not offered for higher grades at ll, price difference between best manual and best auto for Vios is 150,000 baht, about a quarter of the price. For Altis the difference is 350,000 baht, nearly 50% more, if you want top of the range, 2l engine with GPS, comparing to the best available 1.6l manual.

The standard difference between a manual and the equivalent specification automatic is Bt40,000.

I just checked Toyota website, it's true only for the same grade, but manuals are not offered for higher grades at ll, price difference between best manual and best auto for Vios is 150,000 baht, about a quarter of the price. For Altis the difference is 350,000 baht, nearly 50% more, if you want top of the range, 2l engine with GPS, comparing to the best available 1.6l manual.

Thats one way to compare.

But if you compare identical cars, like Vios J, the auto is 50.000 baht more when you buy new. Perhaps more secondhand.

Automatic gearboxes have advanced so much over the last few years and are not necessarily less economical than a manual, of coarse it all depends on how you drive the car.

A good automatic box combined with a paddle shift is my preferred choice.

One minor drawback being not able to bump start the car, but i always carry a set of jump leads, plus i always take care of my battery in the hope that i wont have to use them.

Edited by tirekicker

- manual gives you the decision as to when to change gear

Why would people need that extra bother? Why not just push gas and let the car decide. Cooks don't ask you when to put salt in your dish either - you just order and they deliver.

on the basis of these remarks i would hesitate to drive with you. If you equate extra control with extra bother pperhaps you should reconsider next time you get behind the wheel if a buss or a driver wouldn't suit you, and the rest of us on the road, better.

by the way, that is perhaps the most irrelavent analogy i have ever heard.

Brought up on both. Had mostly manual myself but realised a long time ago autos are very good for in the city driving - see a gap, squirt it & you're in.

In the 70's when my Dad had autos, they used to go wrong a lot.

I remember not so many years back you could not buy a diesel auto. Mercedes 190 one of the first. Now most new artic (semi for you americans) trucks are automatic.

For those with negative comments about control etc. Have you actualy driven automatics for any amount of time? Maybe you aren't aware they can be "locked down" to gain engine braking?

However, here in the UK i have an Audi 2.5 Tdi 142,000 miles & the auto box has just collapsed. Its in the shop now, looking at about £1500 (A comfortable 2 weeks in LOS + flights) :)

Try buying the best car in the world with a manual box!

Edited by Lancashirelad

Mmmm, it depends, when driving a 4 WD and really using it as a 4 WD, an automatic one is a pain in the ass.

The car doesn't " belong" to you, but to the gearbox. No feeling at all about what you are doing, or having a sense of control over the beast.

City life= automatic.

All others= Manual.

I only buy German cars with manual transmissions simply because it gives me more over all control and the ability to accelerate or decelerate quickly. As far as on a Japanese car goes I would think if nothing else it would be a matter of fuel efficiency.

German cars here in Thailand are not particularly faster, and certainly not driven faster, and I'm not sure they offer manual on every model here.

As for extra control - why not go all the way and take ECUs out so you can manually monitor every aspect of everything that is going on when you drive - ignition, valve opening, battery charge etc?

>>>

I understand German cars cannot be touched with human hands anymore - everything is governed by electronics. Once we had a govt minister locked inside BMW and they had to break the windows to let him out. Control freaks, those Germans.

German cars here in Thailand are not particularly faster, and certainly not driven faster, and I'm not sure they offer manual on every model here.

As for extra control - why not go all the way and take ECUs out so you can manually monitor every aspect of everything that is going on when you drive - ignition, valve opening, battery charge etc?

>>>

I understand German cars cannot be touched with human hands anymore - everything is governed by electronics. Once we had a govt minister locked inside BMW and they had to break the windows to let him out. Control freaks, those Germans.

Oh dear, someone done your national car manufactures short? A bit over the top don't you think, including the ECU valve etc remark.

The question was what one preferred and why. No more, no less.

My point is that for better equipped models manuals are not even available.

Yes, I'd buy Civic 2.0 or Accord 2.4 with manual gearbox but only auto version available

the Civic 1.8L comes with both auto and manual gear boxes. the 2.0L has paddle shift, I owned one for two years and it was such good fun to drive. I would go paddle shift anyday again. I have the accord now and thats a great car to drive but not as much fun as the Civic. but if I had the choice out of the two cars I would stay with the Accord, its comfortable and relaxing to drive.