Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

I am just starting the process in Pattaya and got the medical certificate today at a clinic on Soi Bukhaow. Took 5 minutes and just needed passport for details and 100 baht for each certificate. Sign here and out the door. Very easy. Have an International license with car and motorbike endorsements so will use this when going for Thai DLs. Will get resident letter from Immigration next week and then to Dept of Land Transport.

Will provide update of my experience as this will be under current rules which may have tightened up so interested to see what is involved. Went to see where the DLT is on Saturday and talked to someone in the shops across the street. They will help with filling forms and making copies. They start at 7:30 while DLT is 8:15 so I plan to see them first.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What time does the DoLT at Chatujak open?

I have to go tomorrow morning to renew my expired 1 yr license (expired about 4 months) with a new 5 yr license.

I'd like to be in and out quickly.

I'm bringing my passport, expired license, Certificate of Residence from my embassy, and health cert.

Is there anything else that I need?

And what time does it open it's doors?

I think I go to building number 4?

Thanks.

Finally able to move from 1 year to 5 year licences as now have retirement extension - have had 3x1 year licences.

Went yesterday morning to get Residency letter from Immigration in Jomtien - 300 baht but picked up 15 minutes later - insisted I only needed one letter. Picked up form from desk and they wanted 2 photos, copy of passport detail page, visa/extension page and last stamp with TM6 and something to validate address.

Then went to get medical certificate in a clinic in Soi Buakhow - 100 baht and never saw the doctor but they copy details from your passport.

Arrived Pattaya DLT this afternoon at about 1.50pm. Press button for number on machine at bottom of stairs. Waited 10 minutes for number to come up and then went upstairs and presented paperwork to lady on the desk - passport and originals of licences, copy of licences (front and back), one original and one copy Residency letter, one original and one copy medical cert., 2 copies each of passport details page, visa/extension page and last stamp with TM6.

Given green ticket and told to sit and wait. Called up about 15 minutes later with only another 5 or so people to do colour test (they have replaced the old faded board but the new one appears to me a lot smaller but the colours clearer) and the reflex test - press accelerator and then brake when light changes from green to red. No depth perception (aligning the sticks) test done.

Given paperwork and told to go and pay - 960 baht for both licences. Given number and told to sit and wait to have photo taken. Had to wait about 10/15 minutes and after pic five minutes later called back to pick up receipt and licenses.

Having gone the week after my 1 year licences expired my new ones are valid for a few days short of 6 years.

Total time elapsed about 1 hour/1 hour 10mins. No idea if it is always that empty at that time at the moment or whether I was just lucky.

Finally able to move from 1 year to 5 year licences as now have retirement extension - have had 3x1 year licences.

Went yesterday morning to get Residency letter from Immigration in Jomtien - 300 baht but picked up 15 minutes later - insisted I only needed one letter. Picked up form from desk and they wanted 2 photos, copy of passport detail page, visa/extension page and last stamp with TM6 and something to validate address.

Then went to get medical certificate in a clinic in Soi Buakhow - 100 baht and never saw the doctor but they copy details from your passport.

Arrived Pattaya DLT this afternoon at about 1.50pm. Press button for number on machine at bottom of stairs. Waited 10 minutes for number to come up and then went upstairs and presented paperwork to lady on the desk - passport and originals of licences, copy of licences (front and back), one original and one copy Residency letter, one original and one copy medical cert., 2 copies each of passport details page, visa/extension page and last stamp with TM6.

Given green ticket and told to sit and wait. Called up about 15 minutes later with only another 5 or so people to do colour test (they have replaced the old faded board but the new one appears to me a lot smaller but the colours clearer) and the reflex test - press accelerator and then brake when light changes from green to red. No depth perception (aligning the sticks) test done.

Given paperwork and told to go and pay - 960 baht for both licences. Given number and told to sit and wait to have photo taken. Had to wait about 10/15 minutes and after pic five minutes later called back to pick up receipt and licenses.

Having gone the week after my 1 year licences expired my new ones are valid for a few days short of 6 years.

Total time elapsed about 1 hour/1 hour 10mins. No idea if it is always that empty at that time at the moment or whether I was just lucky.

Went to renew both my (second) 1 year licences to 5 year a day after you did (23rd July). Was dreading the process as I hate bureaucracy and unnecessary paperwork.

Asked my condo management for certification that I live there in order to get the residency certificate from immigration at Jomtien. However, would have to wait a day or so as the "authorised" signatory was not available. As a result, decided to take a chance with an older letter from last year. Whilst at the copying centre, the lady there saw my blue book and advised that that was sufficient for me to get my residency certificate.

15 mins later, having paid Bht 500, I was armed with two certificates (did not want to take the chance of having a copy rejected by DLT).

At DLT, there were a lot of people. Had to wait a good half hour before my "foreign" number was called (could be that it's busier in the mornings). Paperwork checked, approved, given green card, wait for 30 mins. Did colour test, reaction test and depth perception test (no peripheral vision test, thank god, as the yellow has lots of green in it and I almost screwed up on it last year).

Got my paperwork, told to go pay - Bht 1,060 for both licences (wonder why there's a price difference?). Another 30 mins later, got my hansum photo taken and then hurray, both licences for the next 5 years.

Will check back in 5 years time to see what rule changes there will be, 555

Whilst waiting for my pic to be taken, heard the examiner telling an applicant (farang) who was doing the reaction / depth perception test - you break, you pay, hahaha

Got my paperwork, told to go pay - Bht 1,060 for both licences (wonder why there's a price difference?). Another 30 mins later, got my hansum photo taken and then hurray, both licences for the next 5 years.

You may want to check your receipts?

I was given 2 - the first for 505 plus a separate one stapled to it for 100 and the second for 255 plus the separate 100 - total 960.

Maybe you have an extra classification - lorry or jet ski or something.......;-

Timing question re 5 year car licence renewal:-

I know you can renew it up to 3 months BEFORE the expiry date, but is there a grace period for renewing AFTER the expiry date.

Thanks.

Inform people here where your DLT is located

I believe from memory it's up to 1 year, after that your back to a 1year one again.

Best way if it's not a problem is to pop into your local DLT and ask them, many have different guide rules.

My 1 years are coming up for renewal and they will be expired by the time I return to Thailand to replace them.

So, I read the updated posts and my questions have been answered ... thanks to all those who contributed.

Reading the posts, one common line came out, and that was from the member Kwasaki when referring to the DLT's ...

Don't worry, they won't eat you ... laugh.png

I have to say that Dealing with my local DLT (Samut Prakan) was a good great experience as a Westerner (Farang).

It was almost a case of positive discrimination.

When it came to the test phase, the coloured traffic lights, the instructor lined us all up, put me front and centre of the three queues formed. Then proceed to rabbit on in Thai for some minutes, occasionally catching my eye and a smile.

At the end, he asked (in Thai) if everyone understood. I really don't speak any part of the language, but I know how to say, tone perfect, sorry, I don't speak Thai.

He knew I didn't understand anything of what he said so, at the end of his speech, I said that I had no idea what he just said.

He smiled and laughed ... so did the 20 odd people behind me.

Comedy is about timing ... I just got the timing right ... rolleyes.gif

Next came the depth perception test and the reaction test ... just a queue there and standing room only ... I had no idea when to move up the seated area to await the test.

I went too early and found myself jumping the queue and no where to sit.

The instructor (different from the speech guy) came over and made a few Thais stand so I could sit down ... everyone was cool with it.

There were others bits which were great, but I don't wish to bore you all.

Maybe I'm just lucky dealing with the Thai folk, but I never seem to have trouble and they do seem to take care of me.

Thanks to all the positive contributors to the invaluabe thread ... thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Pak Chong today to get a driving license, all correct documents with me.

I was informed by the person at the desk, that because I have previously held a Thai license (expired Oct 2012), and it is now over 1 year since its expiry I am required to do the whole training, written and practical test – a grand total of 2 days, of time I don’t currently have.

He said it was impossible to issue a license based on my UK one, due to the previous Thai license.

Anybody know if this is really the case, or a misinterpretation of the rules.

He was kind enough to agree to let me do the sessions over several mornings and afternoons, rather than all in one go, which I am thankful for, if it comes to that.

Hopefully it won’t,

Any ideas folks?

Well buddy I am just about fed up with advice on this really, soooooo many threads to read, go to your local DLT and get your 5 year licence they won't eat you, as Thai say we do not eat boats, and we do not eat the table. laugh.png

FYI all I just got my motorcycle license renewed for 5 years on a 30 day visa exempt stamp. The key was that I had the yellow book and my wife explained that we have been married for 18 years etc...

Nice one - where was that out of curiosity?

Anybody able to throw any light on my previous post regarding holding an old license?

You've posted this 3 times.

It would be helpful if you were to refer to the post, either link or post number, unless you expect people to look back through the posts and try to find the post you'd like answered.

Anybody able to throw any light on my previous post regarding holding an old license?

It would be helpful if you were to refer to the post, either link or post number, unless you expect people to look back through the posts and try to find the post you'd like answered.

It didn't even appear to have posted last night

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/page-51#entry8280637

Is the post number.

It didn't even appear to have posted last night

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/page-51#entry8280637

Is the post number.

I would go back and don't mention the Thai license.

Sorry, no Intl Driver License. Only from Georgia, USA. Got one year retirement visa. Can i get Thai Driver License without various tests? Any upper age limits?

Also sorry can't search here. Totally non-functional search mechanism, IMO.

Sorry, no Intl Driver License. Only from Georgia, USA. Got one year retirement visa. Can i get Thai Driver License without various tests? Any upper age limits?

Also sorry can't search here. Totally non-functional search mechanism, IMO.

Actually, I'm not sure about upper age limit but sure somebody will be along to comment on that.

Otherwise, your US license will be sufficient. No written or practical exam, but you will need to take the color, depth and peripheral vision tests and the brake/reaction tests. Not a big deal really. You will receive a 1 year probationary license after which you may apply for a 5 year.

Ensure you get your administrative ducks in a row, which you can read on this thread. No need to search, just read.

Can i get Thai Driver License without various tests?

If you are "exchanging" your existing foreign licence you will have to do the reaction, peripheral vision and color tests

but not the theory and practical driving test.

Age limits sorry don't know.

My 5 year driving licence expires in October, can I renew it a month earlier as my wifes is due for renewal then and we can do it together,saves a double trip

Incase you don't know ... but if you renew it the day after it runs out you will get 6 years less a day.

My 5 year driving licence expires in October, can I renew it a month earlier as my wifes is due for renewal then and we can do it together,saves a double trip

Depends on the DLT the only thing to do is take your stuff and askk when you go in with your Mrs.

On second 5 year licences in Sukhothai province your get 5 years birthday to birthday date whether you go before or after, as said many times DLT's are not all the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the DLT the only thing to do is take your stuff and askk when you go in with your Mrs.

On second 5 year licences in Sukhothai province your get 5 years birthday to birthday date whether you go before or after, as said many times DLT's are not all the same.

At Phuket they will issue your 5 year DL till your DOB. Mine was good 5 years and 10 months.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure anyone will reply to this post as it is quite old.

Just today I went to the Transport Office near Pattaya. I have everything, trust me. When I produced my Australian (Queensland) Driver License, without even looking at it the woman told me I needed a Translated and stamped letter from the Australian Embassy (only in BKK). No-one I had spoken to had ever needed to do this.

Second part of my question, I know there is no Embassy nor consulate in or near Pattaya. Does anyone know anywhere else it can be certified? Or is it only the Australian Embassy in BKK?

I look forward to any comment that might help. Cheers.

Just today I went to the Transport Office near Pattaya. I have everything, trust me. When I produced my Australian (Queensland) Driver License, without even looking at it the woman told me I needed a Translated and stamped letter from the Australian Embassy (only in BKK). No-one I had spoken to had ever needed to do this.

Second part of my question, I know there is no Embassy nor consulate in or near Pattaya. Does anyone know anywhere else it can be certified? Or is it only the Australian Embassy in BKK?

Australian Embassy only in Bangkok.

Before leaving Oz you should have got a IDP ( International Driving Permit ) they usually ask for them for people from Oz who want a Thai licence I don't know why this is, maybe the Oz licence hasn't a photo and all the written categories of vehicles you can drive on it.

Maybe at the Oz Embassy the letter she wants will solve the problem of not having a IDP.

Australian Embassy only in Bangkok.

Before leaving Oz you should have got a IDP ( International Driving Permit ) they usually ask for them for people from Oz who want a Thai licence I don't know why this is, maybe the Oz licence hasn't a photo and all the written categories of vehicles you can drive on it.

Maybe at the Oz Embassy the letter she wants will solve the problem of not having a IDP.

Hey thanks,

Yeah the Australian licence has everything on it, I had already anticipated that and had half the website printed off and with me :)

I once had a IDP about 12 years ago and never used it renting cars all over the world, even had Floridian and Californian DL after only producing my Aus DL. - But TIT...

I think I will just call the Embassy to see if anyone down this way might be able to Translate and Certify what I already have.

Thanks for you feedback - it is all helpful :)