Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Just renewed last Fri. Had done a medical but they didn't want it. Just had the local police do the residency letter 200bht. They wanted me to watch a video with about 25 Thais but very boring so went to the little shop on transport grounds and bought a few little milks,48bht. Picked up both 5yr. lics and said goodbye.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi everyone!

Everywhere is written a Non-Immigrant-Visa is necessary for the 5 year renewal of a thai driving license....

But....

Is a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa SINGLE-entry sufficient for the 5 year renewal of my thai driving license or do I need a MULTIPLE-entry?

Anybody here got the 5 year renewal on a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa single-entry?

Thank you very much!

Regards.

Ben

Exactly what i was also wondering ! Any reply ?

Is 5 years renewal with Non immigrant Visa O single entry possible ?

And do you need a medical report for renewal at PATTAYA ? And also need a letter from immigration ?

Thanks.

Im a little bit confused.

I have no Uk licence's but have obtained a Moped licence in Chiang Mai. Can I get a Thai car driving licence.....?

When I got my moped licence I was offered and ASEAN one I think for a little bit more money but for some dumb reason I didnt take it. To clarigy was it the ASEAN one I got offered or am I confused..?

I can't speak for Chiang Mai but in Krabi you can. You need the non immigrant O (don't know if single entry is OK) the police letter from immigration, the 'medical' letter and a car.

Yes, it's bring your own vehicle...

Just an update on how things work in Rayong at present:-

My original 1-year licence expired yesterday, so I went today to apply for the 5-year, armed with:

The 1-year licence

Passport

Copies of passport biodetails page, Visa page, entry stamp, all signed.

Medical Cert

Immigration letter confirming address (which last year cost me 500baht, this week it was free)

No form to fill in, just a signature on the document they print off, 5 baht for a plastic wallet, 505Baht for the application, 100baht for the licence itself.

No eyesight or reaction tests, in and out in 45 minutes.

The licence is valid for 5 years 11 months!

Must the Certificate of Residence be recently dated?

As most Brits know, the Certificate of Residence from our nation costs a lot (2,088 17 months ago).

Has anyone successfully applied for their first 1 year Thai drivers license with an old C of R? Mine is dated 23 June 2009. Worth a shot at getting this accepted? I could back it up with a car insurance renewal notice dated last month addressed to me. I will give it a shot unless someone says there is a clear validity period or they have been refused with a certificate older than x. Nothing to lose (edit:except 200 baht petroI money and time) I suspect.

I'm assuming that I could not get a (cheaper) letter from Immigration as a substitute for the C of R. I am on my second multiple non-O one year visa and have had no need to extend anything or otherwise deal with my provincial immigration office. I did have an extension of a tourist right to stay 30 days visit way back but not locally. I am not on the tabien baan for the house (yet), which my wife owns, and no utility bills are addressed to me. I'm therefore assuming that Immigration in SIsaket would scratch their heads if I turned up requesting a letter. Am I right?

Edited by SantiSuk

As most Brits know, the Certificate of Residence from our nation costs a lot (2,088 17 months ago).

Has anyone successfully applied for their first 1 year Thai drivers license with an old C of R? Mine is dated 23 June 2009. Worth a shot at getting this accepted? I could back it up with a car insurance renewal notice dated last month addressed to me. I will give it a shot unless someone says there is a clear validity period or they have been refused with a certificate older than x. Nothing to lose (edit:except 200 baht petroI money and time) I suspect.

I'm assuming that I could not get a (cheaper) letter from Immigration as a substitute for the C of R. I am on my second multiple non-O one year visa and have had no need to extend anything or otherwise deal with my provincial immigration office. I did have an extension of a tourist right to stay 30 days visit way back but not locally. I am not on the tabien baan for the house (yet), which my wife owns, and no utility bills are addressed to me. I'm therefore assuming that Immigration in SIsaket would scratch their heads if I turned up requesting a letter. Am I right?

Get it from local police. 200bht.

Thanks Ajhanlau - what will they want to see (since they don't know me from Adam)?

I must say the thought of paying the police 200 baht for something of value, instead of roadside robbery, is appealing.

.......We have the necessary paperwork apart from a certificate of residency. Is there any way around this? .............. we are better not to give up Aus residency any time soon........

I think you have simply misunderstood the Certificate of Residency. It is no more than a letter from Thai Immigration or your Embassy (the British Embasssy charge at least 10 times more than any immigration office!) giving your address in Thailand; it has nothing to do with where you are resident for tax purposes, etc.

Certificate of Residency, don't understand why people buy this? a lot of money at their Embassy, and reading down the posts it appears to be about 500 baht at Immigration..

Myself do and always have done got my Certificate of Residency from the Town Hall, cost nothing.. 1st time about 7 years ago had to take the head man of the Village, so he could sign to say I lived at the address, since then always gone by myself, just need photo copy of passport and blue house book [Not in my name] Every time i go they simply bring up the Certificate of Residency on the PC and put the present date on it and press print, you then take it to the Junta and get the big red seal put on. Totally FREE.

I have bought 4 cars, sold 2, driving Licence's. mobile phone contract, house phone, electric bill, water bills, This Certificate of Residency has always been accepted..... Must go again next week as my 5 yr driver licenses need renewing again.

Must point out this type of Certificate of Residency is only good in your own Provence.

Edited by ignis

Yes.

I will answer my own question posed in an earlier posting.

I tried it on with a 17 month old Certificate of Residence at our amphur this morning. The answer was that the C of R needs to be dated within 6 months of application. They directed me to immigration and I think I'll go there rather than trying the police (still not sure what I would produce for them) or the Town Hall (my wife says the poo yai would want a tip - probably several hundred baht and its not certain enough that such a letter would be forthcoming and would be acceptable in my amphur, the licensing authority now having directed me to Immigration).

My wife told me "maybe the licensing people will take your certificate 'with corruption' ". I like her way of calling a spade (backhander) a spade. She added "but you don't like corruption do you teelak". That's right honey. Enter a look from her that said 'sanctimonious tw@t'. :rolleyes:

Many thanks for the comments and alternative ideas. Other falang might want to try out your solutions, particularly if others confirm their effectiveness on more than a one-off basis.

Thanks Ajhanlau - what will they want to see (since they don't know me from Adam)?

I must say the thought of paying the police 200 baht for something of value, instead of roadside robbery, is appealing.

Your passport,gf's,wife's or landlords house reg.

Update from Chiang Rai...

Did my 5 years renewal for the first time yesterday, i found out from my neighbour that to avoid the morning crowd and long waiting time, the best time to go into the land transport department was right after lunch break, true enough there's only a handful of applicants.

The documents needed were :

- The expired driving licence (just the expired licence, no application form needed)

- Letter of residency (got it from Mae Sai Immigration for 100 THB)

- Medical certificate from the local hospital (got it from Overbrook Hospital for 80 THB, went in during lunch break, cleared this stage within 30 min)

- Photocopy of passport bio-detail page and permission of stay extension page (only this 2 pages is required, no need to copy date stamp and disembarkation card)

Payment for licence :

- 505 THB for application

- 100 THB for the licence

- 5 THB for the plastic protective envelope thingy (optional, but i bought it because it was as if she was signalling me to buy it like she needed a tip or something)

That's it, exit the building with my brand new 5 years and 1 month (till my next birthday) driving licence, all within a record time of 8 min.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Update from Chiang Rai...

Did my 5 years renewal for the first time yesterday, i found out from my neighbour that to avoid the morning crowd and long waiting time, the best time to go into the land transport department was right after lunch break, true enough there's only a handful of applicants.

The documents needed were :

- The expired driving licence (just the expired licence, no application form needed)

- Letter of residency (got it from Mae Sai Immigration for 100 THB)

- Medical certificate from the local hospital (got it from Overbrook Hospital for 80 THB, went in during lunch break, cleared this stage within 30 min)

- Photocopy of passport bio-detail page and permission of stay extension page (only this 2 pages is required, no need to copy date stamp and disembarkation card)

Payment for licence :

- 505 THB for application

- 100 THB for the licence

- 5 THB for the plastic protective envelope thingy (optional, but i bought it because it was as if she was signalling me to buy it like she needed a tip or something)

That's it, exit the building with my brand new 5 years and 1 month (till my next birthday) driving licence, all within a record time of 8 min.

Was that the old type Licence ? the paper one ?

Cannot understand why you would want a cover for the new type shiny plastic credit card type.

No....the 1st year and 5 year type i had are the hard plastic credit card type, i think the paper in laminated film are scrap already, haven't seen them around for years...

I didn't want the soft plastic cover either, but the way she pointed and hinted at the tray of plastic covers she's selling, is like as if she want to make some extra money...Oh well, what the hack....how much? 5 Baht?...ok ...here....:)

Edited by RedBullHorn

I recently lost my wallet and my current 5 year Thai driving licence with it. To get a replacement card, will just providing my passport be enough? (also have a scanned copy of current licence)

If anyone out there has been through this procedure could you let me know what is required. Also what are the business hours for the Chatuchak office?

Cheers

Edited by yabbra

• 5 weeks later...
<br />Hi everyone!<br /><br />Everywhere is written a Non-Immigrant-Visa is necessary for the 5 year renewal of a thai driving license....<br /><br />But....<br /><br />Is a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa SINGLE-entry sufficient for the 5 year renewal  of my thai driving license or do I need a MULTIPLE-entry?<br /><br />Anybody here got the 5 year renewal on a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa single-entry?<br /><br />Thank you very much!<br /><br />Regards.<br /><br />Ben<br />
<br /><br /><br />

To answer your question regarding renewing a 5 year Thai driving licence on a Non-Immigrant "O" single entry visa, I would say yes you can.

My single entry Non-Immigrant "O" was issued in August, 1997 and I have been here in Thailand ever since on yearly extensions. I am currently on my second 5 year licence.

• 2 weeks later...

Would a UK driving licence be sufficiant, have read so many different ways of obtaining a d.l i am somewhat confused now! If not and I have to take a test what do i do if i have no car? hire one or something?

Cheers in advance

I got a one year licence with my photocard part of my u.k licence. I went to the office near Jatujak and they asked if I had International drivers permit, I said no but showed them my u.k photocard licence. The women dealing with me showed it to her superior who said that was o.k and I just had to have it photocopied both sides and got the licence with the only test required the colour blindness and reaction test, was in and out in 30 mins

Hi BBTALI

Every Policeman/Official I have encountered (which is many,unfortunetly) do not know what an International Driving Licence looks like !! I get pulled up regularly when visiting Thailand so I went to the trouble of getting one, only to find that the 'boys in brown' ALWAYS want my UK D/L Card and disregard the IDL book. The IDL was quick and easy to get from the AA and I am sure it will come in handy one day soon (probably the day after it expires in one year!!) :o

This is all a bit late maybe, but reading this thread I thought I should tell everyone again: As far as any International Driving PERMIT from the UK is concerned, ( note: not a LICENCE ) - it was designed originally for 'Holiday Driving', and as a result, as far as Thai Law stood the last time I checked, you are DRIVING ILLEGALLY in Thailand on an IDP after only 3 MONTHS has expired. It is not a 12-Month licence !!! It is a PERMIT which is valid for a 12-Month period - there is a crucial difference here. However - how many Thai old bill know this fine distinction and would jump on you if you waved your IDP about one day after 3 Months ? Not many, if any, but that's not the point - have an accident, and any sharp-eyed insurance assessor might well use this small fact about the 3-Month expiry to block an important claim !

• 2 weeks later...

I got myself one of those international driving licenses. I drove around fr about 3 months. Never thought of renewing that, ever. Bangkok traffic is hell, while it may be more expensive, I use taxis: no need to look for parking spaces, no need to remember where you parked your car, get home even if you're drunk, and most of all, you are not responsible for any accidents.

I drove around Thailand for 4 years on a British driving license (and lived here for the last 18 months of that period). I only got one last month as a useful form of ID. Only once when stopped (out of maybe 40 times) did a policeman tell me I should get a Thai license - and even he did not ask for money. I was rarely asked what my residential status was.

As far as I can see you are wasting your money buying an International License - unless you are using it to carry around as back-up without fear of losing your primary falang license.

I'm still not sure what it is that determines you are required by law to to have a Thai driving license; I'm sure there is a requirement, just not sure about timing.

• 2 months later...

Here's one for the experts out there..

I have both my original one year car Thai license and separate motorbike Thai license.. But they expired back in 2008, Dec 2008 to be exact as that's my birth month.. I left Thailand before they initially expired as I took another foreign base assignment so I never renewed them.. just never thought about it,..

So now I am coming back..

What are my options and expectations? I do have a valid Non-Imm B and will get my work permit about 30 days after I arrive..

In the end, if I can only apply for a completely new 1 year, that's not the end of the world, but it would be nice if I can 'piggy back' on my old licenses to get the 5 year editions..

Anyone??? Advice? counsel? Actual experiences?

My LTO office is the Suk 66 location as my residence was and will again be in the Prakanong area.

Edited by gopbi

My apologies if this has been covered before. This is a pretty long thread.

My 1 year Thai license expired last year, and my International Driving Permit is also expired. My USA license is still valid. Will I be able to get a 5 year license at this point, or failing that, can I get a new 1 year license? What will I need to bring, and will I have to take a driver's test?

I'm in Chiang Mai, if that makes any difference.

Personal experience applying and getting a one year (temporary) Thai driving licence on 11 April 2011.

A big thank you to the previous posters without them I would not have managed it so easily today.

I recommend going only until Saphan Kwai with the Skytrain. I left the station at 0915 and walked on the right hand side of the road towards Chatuckak. Stopped on the corner of Soi 18 and paid 100 B to the old Chinese lady at the clinic (for Thais it is 60 B). After a short pleasant chat the female doctor signedn the medical certfificate.

Walked another 200 metres the same direction. The Land Transport Department entrance is obvious and you can see already from there building # 4 (written in Thai script) quite far behind. Proceedes immediately to the information counter on level 2 (one stairway) and was handed a queue number and called within 10 seconds to the famous counter # 18 which deals with foreigners.

Documents provided:

Passport with two copies of the main page, one year retirement visa page, entry stamp and arrival form

National driving licence with two copies.

International Driving permit with two copies.

Proof of residence from my Embassy

Medical certificate

After checking I was handed a form for the eye exam and reaction test and sent to the information counter on level 3 (one stairway above).

There I was handed a queue number and called after about 10 minutes wait. All three tests were with explanatons posted on the wall in English.

After the tests back to the information counter on level 3 which sent me back to counter 18 below.

Photo taken and licence issued.

All employees were extremely pleasant and the Thais around were busy with their own matters, so no giggling or stupid staring at farang.

Was back on the Skytrain in Mochit at 1045 and have a good opionon regarding efficiency of Thai administraton.

I managed it alone, but would recommend going there with a Thai if you can not speak and read basic Thai.

P.S.: To all those who want to renew or make licences with a tourist visa. This is clearly not possible, you need to have a one year permit to stay. The office is aware of many foreigners trying to get a Thai licence for only too obvious reasons and insist also on seeing the national driving licence, the international being barely a permit. This is due to the fact that many foregners lost their licence thanks to law enforcement at home.

Edited by eagleflyinghigh

I'm sure that this question has been answered on this thread already but maybe this is a new slant.

A friend of mine has a 5-year Thai driving licence and this will expire on 11 May, 2011. When he obtained this licence, he was staying in Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa. Subsequently, he returned to the UK and his Non-immigrant Visa expired. He is back in Thailand now and has a 30-day entry stamp. He owns property here (in Pattaya) and is married to a Thai national.

My question (on his behalf) is can he renew his 5 year Thai driving licence before he returns to the UK on 27 April (next week) whilst in Thailand on a 30-day entry stamp. If he can, what documents would he need to support his renewal application and what tests would be needed?

Thank you fellow subscribers.

P.S.: To all those who want to renew or make licences with a tourist visa. This is clearly not possible, you need to have a one year permit to stay. The office is aware of many foreigners trying to get a Thai licence for only too obvious reasons and insist also on seeing the national driving licence, the international being barely a permit. This is due to the fact that many foregners lost their licence thanks to law enforcement at home.

So that means, if I am on a NON-O visa without a one year extension, I can't apply for a DL?

Dear eagleflyhigh,

Thanks for this great info. One question. Did you have to take a copy of the medical certificate form with you to the clinic on soi 18, or did they have it already? If you had to take it, where did you get it from?

Personal experience applying and getting a one year (temporary) Thai driving licence on 11 April 2011.

A big thank you to the previous posters without them I would not have managed it so easily today.

I recommend going only until Saphan Kwai with the Skytrain. I left the station at 0915 and walked on the right hand side of the road towards Chatuckak. Stopped on the corner of Soi 18 and paid 100 B to the old Chinese lady at the clinic (for Thais it is 60 B). After a short pleasant chat the female doctor signedn the medical certfificate.

Walked another 200 metres the same direction. The Land Transport Department entrance is obvious and you can see already from there building # 4 (written in Thai script) quite far behind. Proceedes immediately to the information counter on level 2 (one stairway) and was handed a queue number and called within 10 seconds to the famous counter # 18 which deals with foreigners.

Documents provided:

Passport with two copies of the main page, one year retirement visa page, entry stamp and arrival form

National driving licence with two copies.

International Driving permit with two copies.

Proof of residence from my Embassy

Medical certificate

After checking I was handed a form for the eye exam and reaction test and sent to the information counter on level 3 (one stairway above).

There I was handed a queue number and called after about 10 minutes wait. All three tests were with explanatons posted on the wall in English.

After the tests back to the information counter on level 3 which sent me back to counter 18 below.

Photo taken and licence issued.

All employees were extremely pleasant and the Thais around were busy with their own matters, so no giggling or stupid staring at farang.

Was back on the Skytrain in Mochit at 1045 and have a good opionon regarding efficiency of Thai administraton.

I managed it alone, but would recommend going there with a Thai if you can not speak and read basic Thai.

So that means, if I am on a NON-O visa without a one year extension, I can't apply for a DL?

You need at least a leave to stay for one year.

Dear eagleflyhigh,

Thanks for this great info. One question. Did you have to take a copy of the medical certificate form with you to the clinic on soi 18, or did they have it already? If you had to take it, where did you get it from?

You need nothing to go there just 5 minutes and 100 B (60 B for Thais). They have all the forms and are funny.

• 3 weeks later...
But, for the residency certificate the Department of Land Transport wants, the U.S. version was just a notarized form saying where I live in Thailand, and that I wanted to apply for a driver's license. I went to the citizen services office at the U.S. Embassy, completed a form, paid the fee, showed a copy of my condo lease, swore the information was correct, signed the document, they stamped it, and that was completed.

Thanks. I was trying to figure out which Affidavit to use and I found this document. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/driverslicense.pdf