Phuket Immigration Crackdown Announced

It is only relevant to those who come into Thailand without using a passport. Or for those who live here without one . Simple as that .

The day to day running of hotels etc is none of our business , it doesnt concern us , we are here to holiday , the hotles etc are here to follow the legal requirements.

come to Thailand without a passport you say? I guess that would mean the American soldiers doing some R&R from Iraq, they don't need passports, their owned by the government. Let's see, the US is going to help with the immigration thing, regulations and all, probably weaken Thailand. Strategically a good place to form a military base or two. (revenue) I think Thailand's playing the fool. Any business with the American government is in the best interests of the American military complex.

What I mean is all those who come into Thailand via the backs of cars, over the mountains and across rivers and through jungles. MANY .

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Thailand has problems, and Thailand wishes to address them in certain ways.

I think it is fair to let them.

All countries that I know of, is trying to keep track of

their foreigners..

Glegolo

Exactly, most countries I am familiar with are far more stringent on foreigners coming across their borders. If I'm not trying to hide something I don't have anything to worry about, and for sure I have no issues with this.

Why would anyone object, we are after all guests of the Thai government and people when we are there.

Another functionary that wants to make a name for himself by giving the rich foreign visitors a hard time. When my wife came with me back to Spain she did not pay for a visa, nor did she have to report to the police or give a map showing how to get to our house. But Spain did give her an ID card, free health care and all in 90 days. She has never been asked to pay more than me to enter some where as she is foreign or rich, or found a two tear price in restaurants. Is Spain missing out? I wonder

Regards Mr Pissed Off

-----------------------------------------------------------------

their foreigners..

Glegolo

Really ?? name any modern / first world country that has to report foriegners details checking into a hotel ??

really ....is the case too in my country Belgium, ( can call us also third world country, lol, i do agree whe are on the way to it.... with all "non adapted burka people") police just check those lists every 24 hours ; No fuzz about it and most people does not even know about it !!

I do not have a problem with the knowledge that they know i am here ......i am not wanted .... :) in my home country or where ever .... :D .

I guess the idea of strict checks came from hotels in North East England.

At the time our erstwhile Thai PM was getting his freebies growing up in UK I had a contract in Gateshead (a few miles from his stamping ground).

The first night I was there I went to check in at the hotel where I had a reservation - the receptionist (a non-native English speaker naturally!) refused to check me in without a credit card.

"I DON'T USE CREDIT CARDS .... I USE CASH OR DEBIT CARD!!!!!"

No reaction - except to answer a personal call on a mobile (in some quaint tongue of course).

dam_n it - the cretin wasn't even British - and dumped on a true Brit. No wonder I don't go back when that is the normal behaviour. I forget the last time a native English speaker checked my passport in UK.

It's bl**dy cold sleeping in a car in NE England in November - and it was expensive to get my passport sent by Red Star to Newcastle Station.

Good job Laos isn't like that ... go on a Visa run and you lose your passport for 30 hours.

So, I guess here we are lucky - we expect to need our passport. My wife is a Government employee so she does the checkin to get some discount. They only ever seem to bother with her Gov. ID not her compulsory one, and I have NEVER been asked for my passport when I travel with her.

That's this week's moan finished - except it took about 10 reloads to get from the forum to the reply form. Well done Maxnet it was 17 last time!!

Cheers farang

How can such a wealthy country be so insecure? All that crap about jai yen, while snarling and

I have sold up and left..I suggest every one does the same............In France it is 25 Celcius, Raining. There bis better fish, better vegetables. prettier girls and thank god I don't have to speak Thai any more with officials, policemen, whatever who cannot disguise their racism. It was a wonderful time of life.but it is over!

Hotels in Pattaya have been reporting this info to the government. I used to check into my favorite hotel without a passport but about 2-3 years ago, passport required or at least a copy of the pertinent info regarding each guest. The hotel I stay at likes the concept of using the internet of reporting. Less hassle for them. No passport now, no room.

What about all those short time hotels/bungelows etc!??? That will put up the price up of a quicky if they get fined for guests caught with their pants down!lol

"In France it is 25 Celcius, Raining. There bis better fish, better vegetables. prettier girls"

The last time I was in France (Sept 08 for two weeks) I could not find a pretty french girl. All the good looking ones were tourists.

Well said....

I don't understand why anyone has to have objection on this too!! Isn't it safe for all??

I don't see what the hassle here is all about.

In my home country it is REQUIREMENT to declare the arrival of foreigner within 48 hours.

A few years ago, when I took my wife to visit my home country, I failed to report her to the local authorities as she had a Visa and I taught that having a Visa and an Entry stamp would be sufficient (we stayed at my brothers house).

Two days later, we had a "visit" from the local Police and they said that they had the right to deport my wife immediatly and jail my brother for not declaring that he had an undeclared foreigner in his home!!!!!

Go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that was not an "third world country".

If the Immigration crackdown is meant to make Thailand safer and follow the International standards, then they should go for it.

Relax, everyone, they're doing this for the likes of the U.S. Secretary of State and other important leaders going to Phuket. They did the same when Bush and many other important leaders came to Bangkok in 2003 for APEC. Bangkok security was tight, police all over, and they even went to red light areas and rounded up any foreigner who didn't have their passport with them on their person. It's just a temporary measure then all will go back to laxness...

Really ?? name any modern / first world country that has to report foriegners details checking into a hotel ??

Although I don't pretend it to be "modern" it is first World: USA

Well I have been all over the US and I didnt used to give a passport to my hotel an I am pretty sure my hotel didnt have to report my booking a room to immigration.. They did want to see ID, usually to make sure I paid my room, but that was it.

their foreigners..

Glegolo

USA, UK, Most of Europe, Australia. Have you never travelled to any of these countries ? Surely if you had you would have seen the standard statements you have to make on your entry docs about where you'll be staying (usa doesn't let you in unless you have first 3 mights booked now and register on their site in advance) not least the standard form any hotel will present you with that asks for you to conplete country of residence and passport number.

Do you really think that what Thailand is doing is so different from every other country in the world ? That is: progressively restricting our freedoms and privacy ? Now, on the other side, what can the authorities really do with these thousands of submissions every day other than reference a computer search list for matchs against certain criteria. Ultimately there's no more to this than record keeping incase you pop up doing something illegal in future.

I dissaprove of these invasions globally but I respect the Thais right to implement it.

USA check..

UK, right now..

Most of Europe.. check..

So australia I cant tell..

But the rest of these ? no, a guesthouse doesnt have to report any 'foriegn' guests to immigraton..

I actually stay in Phuket and have noticed an increase in Police. The fact is that most people never know that they shuffle these laws up and down in importance and most of the time only the people that are here without correct documentation do. They are probably more worried about all the Burmese workers and their links than they would ever be worried about westerners.

If you are a westerner and you are caught. They will get you leaving via plane and you will pay the fine and not be able to come back for a long long time. Maybe someone will forget and you can come spend your money soon enough.

They probably have had the laws in place for ages but not enacted them. Now they have to bring them out because after the events of Pattaya they can't have another embarasment. Then, soon after this is all over, all the laws will be forgotten and the 1Billion Baht worth of secruity equipment etc... will all be forgotten until the next time, or part there of.

If I cared, it would make me wonder, what many of you say, about your status...

their foreigners..

Glegolo

really ....is the case too in my country Belgium, ( can call us also third world country, lol, i do agree whe are on the way to it.... with all "non adapted burka people") police just check those lists every 24 hours ; No fuzz about it and most people does not even know about it !!

I do not have a problem with the knowledge that they know i am here ......i am not wanted .... :) in my home country or where ever .... :D .

I lived in belgium for 4 years.. Employed 1000 foriegn workers per year and housed them all over holland germany and belgium.. Never once did I report any of them or myself.

Don't the Thais have the right to ensure those who come into and stay in the country are ligitimate? Many countries in the world have registration systems to provide information on who is living where and for how long. What's the problem?

It's no hardship for the foreigner, it's the guesthouse or hotel that has to provide the info and like i say many other countries do the same.

With the security situation in Thailand and the world the way it is ithink it's well over due!

As far as the issue of security is concerned, this policy would make more sense if hotels/guesthouses were required to report all guests staying with them, including Thai nationals. Why would someone be considered a possible security threat for no other reason than them being a "foreigner"? Are hotels required to routinely record and report details of their Thai guest's identity cards when they check in?

Chris

Don't Thais have the right to move around in their own country, stay where they want as and when they feel like it, without reporting to anyone?

You are questioning their right to do so as if you have he same righs here yourself. You don't. You're a foreigner, a guest. The Thais have every right to keep track of visitors. Not like their waking you up on he middle of the night for a roll call is it?

An old friend of mine will be coming over and stay with us in our house for a few day. Do I have to report him to the Police?

And what kind of suspicious behavior should I report?

- Not chasing girls?

- Not drinking "lao"?

- Driving politely?

- Giving a big tip?

Bloody hel_l, this is more than suspicious its akin to terrorism.

I'd not only camp outside immigration to be first in line I'd report it to Interpol.

Does Bin Laden know about this?

Very True

Edited by kirkstockdale

Another functionary that wants to make a name for himself by giving the rich foreign visitors a hard time. When my wife came with me back to Spain she did not pay for a visa, nor did she have to report to the police or give a map showing how to get to our house. But Spain did give her an ID card, free health care and all in 90 days. She has never been asked to pay more than me to enter some where as she is foreign or rich, or found a two tear price in restaurants. Is Spain missing out? I wonder

Regards Mr Pissed Off

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU......WELCOME TO QUAI-LAND

I understand why foreigners must be reported, due to such luminaries as America's first lady (555) coming over.

Then there's the hideous mess of Pattaya, at the last summit....quite the embarrassing screw up.

Thailand wants/needs to get this right and those pesky terrorists are still about....and it would be easy to stage an attack in this country....

But there are plenty of Thai Muslims and there are quite a few extremists here too...just see the southern provinces...all nationals...who is monitoring them? Arguably the Thai security forces aren't exactly doing a sterling job of that....I'd be more concerned about sympathisers from within, than foreigners from the outside.

Btw, the reporting crackdown is obviously occurring as it isn't regularly enforced....so to those who say it happens all the time, get real, I know it doesn't....

Maybe this is a request from higher up so they will know which summiy member does not have his member in the right place.

When do we get our yellow stars?

this is what we should do , make yellow stars with "farang" written on them and go into the streets with it , at the same time we should have people distributing them at the arrivals at the airports ....... but not sure the Thai authorities will have enough brain or culture to understand the message .........

DONT WORRY, never mind , its OK , stop panicing , keep your hair on , :) , Do what I have done, get yourself a wench as your girlfriend from the immigration office. I dont go anywhere , I just give her my passport and hey presto a long stay stamp logged on computer and it only costs me my time inbed with her , LUCKY ME :D:D

your telling me that you have to rump the old woman for a visa? absolutely disgusting! good job im not in your position, my visa would have been cancelled a long time ago. this forum never ceases to amaze. men having sex with there wives....AAAAArrrrgh, whatever disgusting things will they come up with next

Not really, sure beats doing many of the beer bar "wrenches" adding insult to injury by paying for it, when you can have a literate wrench, a visa, and a happy ending to boot(no pun intended), on the house.

Agree with absorbing the 'lovely Wife-Life' - I have lived in Thailand since 2000 (with forays abroad in Saudi and China teaching IT & have a beautiful wife, 2 kids and a house outside CMai.

Amsterdam's (maybe) more sanuk (fun) if thats what you want, but Thailand, IMHO, is so much more sabai (peaceful - for my soul, anyway).

Each to their own is Ok.

rgdz from Brewsta

their foreigners..

Glegolo

It is the law in Spain! :)

I can't see what the big deal is...if you have nothing to hide don't get yourself wound up..just chill out and enjoy your stay...if on the other hand you want to get up to something dodgy in the LOS don't do it in Phuket...easy!!!

This is happening around the world. Small subtle increases in population control [in Thailand's case nothing is subtle]. Soon all western and 'free' countries will change into 'People's Republic's'. This is very noticeable right here in Australia and obvious in countries like Thailand, China and North Korea.

As said the reporting of foreigners is nothing new. It has been a requirement for many years.

This is merely a notice to business owners that they are craking down on them. And nothing more.

Exactly, but some of the paranoid people on tv won't understand that.

As said the reporting of foreigners is nothing new. It has been a requirement for many years.

This is merely a notice to business owners that they are craking down on them. And nothing more.

Exactly, but some of the paranoid people on tv won't understand that.

Samui Immigration had a crackdown on Koh Phangan three years or so ago for the same requirement.