Last Night I Was Mugged And Robbed....

PostmanPat

....In a new Italian restaurant.

Four of us went there last night, and immediately noted that apart from us, the Restaurant was empty. We stayed there for two hours and in that time apart from us there were zero customers. I AM NOT SURPRISED! The food was terrible, well, average at best, and the prices were just outrageous. To add insult to injury, 10% service and 7% tax was lumped onto the final bill leaving us with astonished looks and a vow NEVER to return there, and a committment, honoured here and now, to pass on the word to as many people as possible.

Examples. Two of us had Pizzas. They were small bland and tasteless. 300 Baht including the tax etc!

One seafood pasta. Again, almost 300 baht, almost but not quite inedible. Wine, house wine, 700 baht per litre carafe, and this almost certainly from one of the five litre cartons we can all but at Rimping for 950 baht. Thus, mark up, between 300 and 400%. One of us had a dessert. Panna Cotta, 150 baht. Disgusting! It had the texture of jelly, all wibbly wobbly, whereas real Panna Cottas texture is soft and smooth and creamy.

All in all, we were totally disgusted. The staff were all Thai girls of course, not their fault, but it was noticeable that when our bill came, the Italian looking manager guy who had been hovering around all night disappeared...so nobody to talk to about this aberration of a place.

The only good thing I am left with, sorry if this sounds cruel, but IT WILL FAIL AND CLOSE...mark my words. If you want good Italian food in Chiang Mai, stick to the safe tried and tested places downtown, I wont name any lest I be accused of advertising, which I am not.

We eat out a lot, and without question, this was our WORST eating experience in more than five years living in Chiang Mai.

....In a new Italian restaurant.

Four of us went there last night, and immediately noted that apart from us, the Restaurant was empty. We stayed there for two hours and in that time apart from us there were zero customers. I AM NOT SURPRISED! The food was terrible, well, average at best, and the prices were just outrageous. To add insult to injury, 10% service and 7% tax was lumped onto the final bill leaving us with astonished looks and a vow NEVER to return there, and a committment, honoured here and now, to pass on the word to as many people as possible.

Examples. Two of us had Pizzas. They were small bland and tasteless. 300 Baht including the tax etc!

One seafood pasta. Again, almost 300 baht, almost but not quite inedible. Wine, house wine, 700 baht per litre carafe, and this almost certainly from one of the five litre cartons we can all but at Rimping for 950 baht. Thus, mark up, between 300 and 400%. One of us had a dessert. Panna Cotta, 150 baht. Disgusting! It had the texture of jelly, all wibbly wobbly, whereas real Panna Cottas texture is soft and smooth and creamy.

All in all, we were totally disgusted. The staff were all Thai girls of course, not their fault, but it was noticeable that when our bill came, the Italian looking manager guy who had been hovering around all night disappeared...so nobody to talk to about this aberration of a place.

The only good thing I am left with, sorry if this sounds cruel, but IT WILL FAIL AND CLOSE...mark my words. If you want good Italian food in Chiang Mai, stick to the safe tried and tested places downtown, I wont name any lest I be accused of advertising, which I am not.

We eat out a lot, and without question, this was our WORST eating experience in more than five years living in Chiang Mai.

If it was so awful you should have demanded to see the manager before agreeing to pay any bill.

I have yet to find really good Italian food in CM

yes pp, i seem to think the alarm bells may have been ringing when you walked into a restuarant (assuming at evening meal time) and it was empty.

anyway, glad you werent injured during this violent crime :)

Please note that under our forum rules, which have everything to do with the very strict Thai libel laws, the naming and shaming of persons or companies is not allowed on the open forum. So keep the name of the restaurant out of the discussion.

....In a new Italian restaurant

If it was so awful you should have demanded to see the manager before agreeing to pay any bill.

I have yet to find really good Italian food in CM

Geeze Mario, Im glad you removed the restuarant name in the original post :)

Please note that under our forum rules, which have everything to do with the very strict Thai libel laws, the naming and shaming of persons or companies is not allowed on the open forum. So keep the name of the restaurant out of the discussion.

In order to respect the forum rules, it's good to keep this Restaurant name out of the text.

But one more time..this will not pay back Thai people !

and one more time we are discussing about the unclear and doubtful Thai laws...that will fine first of all the image of Thais (that isn't the same that they had 10 years ago i.ex.), nonetheless the image of Thai tourism policies.. .

Your Thai image will be affect by this kind of "silence".

It would be great and fair for everyone to know who is cheating the tourists and customers, making foreign prices w. "fake western food" claiming the name of Thailand Tourism.

That's very odd. I have seen any number of topics in which restaurants and other places have been negatively criticised, and this is the first time I have seen a name of one of them removed. In any case, I trust that there would be nothing wrong with my asking PostmanPat to share the name of the restaurant with me in a private message, and so I hereby ask you, PostmanPat, to do so. Thanks.

In which case, the OP may have been literally mugged and robbed by the waitress' (or manager's) thug friends loitering around the corner. :)

Yes, im a bit surprised also that in this case the name of the restaurant was removed. Do Thaivisa possibly incur litigation issues with some things like this? I think of course that when a place is so harshly criticized others should make up their own minds if they want to try it out, or for those who have been and have enjoyed it to defend it. The only think i take a bit of issue with regarding this thread is the choice of words used for the topic. "Last Night I Was Mugged And Robbed...." is very misleading.

three irish pubs were named in Bangkok last week. and none of the moderators removed any names :D

is it one rule for one and not the other?

this post will probably be deleted now :)

Edited by onnut

Hmmm, very interesting position you take Mr Moderator. So, its perfectly OK for those bar/restaurant owners to blatantly advertise their own wares in a shameless way, as in, come to a great free party at such and such where the beer and food are great.....blah blah blah, and we all know it happens and so do you and you allow it....and yet....

A genuine attempt to guide people from a bad experience cannot be allowed? Sorry, but this defies all logic!!!!...and leaves a bad taste. I wonder if the owner of this restaurant is an advertiser on or sponsor of Thai Visa??????!!!!!!!

I would also like to know the name of the restaurant although I suspect it begins with a B and ends with an O! If you can't name it can you give the general area or street please?

excellent idea that. cryptic crossword clues to bar and restaurant names only. avoids any libel issues and acts as a consumer advice service while also providing an amusing diversion in the form of a fun game