Going To Nong Khai

Hi folks....

I am new and although I have traveled much of Asia over the past thirty years...Philippines, China, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, etc. I have never been to Thailand. I don't know how that happened. I am coming to Bangkok next month... thought that the 30 day visa would be OK.... or does local knowledge feel I should get the tourist extended visa? The real question is about getting off the plane and getting to Nong Khai? Can anyone help me.

I am 65 and have spend the bulk of the past twenty years in the Caribbean aboard a sailboat, but the Caribbean has gone Disneyworld... Am looking for the last dance so-to-speak....

dennis

Edited by solodennis

Have no idea if this is just a short trip or what but do wonder why Nong Khai? It sure would not rate up in the top ten tourist attractions for someone who has never been here.

There is air service to Udorn, or train service to Nong Khai, or VIP bus service so you have a wide choice of travel options.

The easy thing would be a connecting flight to Udorn and then bus service for the short trip to Nong Khai. As this is on the border of Laos you will probably want to take a trip to Vientiane and perhaps Luang Prabang so on return you will get a new 30 day stamp so don't believe you need the visa prior to travel unless you do not have a return reservation within the 30 days. Airlines can refuse you boarding if you do not have a visa or return travel arranged.

Have no idea if this is just a short trip or what but do wonder why Nong Khai?  It sure would not rate up in the top ten tourist attractions for someone who has never been here.

There is air service to Udorn, or train service to Nong Khai, or VIP bus service so you have a wide choice of travel options.

The easy thing would be a connecting flight to Udorn and then bus service for the short trip to Nong Khai.  As this is on the border of Laos you will probably want to take a trip to Vientiane and perhaps Luang Prabang so on return you will get a new 30 day stamp so don't believe you need the visa prior to travel unless you do not have a return reservation within the 30 days.  Airlines can refuse you boarding if you do not have a visa or return travel arranged.

Sorry about the original spelling mistake of Nong Khai.

Why go there? Can't say for sure other than I doubt I would like Bangkok... I am not longer the pub crawler I once was and am not into the bargirl scene, not that I am not interested in a nice Thai lady. I think I am going because its there and if I don't do it from the get-go, I probably would never do it. Might be a waste of time but then you never know unless you do it....

dennis

Edited by solodennis

Hey Nong Khai is great. It's been rated 7th in the world in this American Magazine for being one of the best places for retirement. It's nice little town and i'm sure you'll like it there if you're not the type of person for Bangkok.

That article was one of the most over the top paid pieces I have ever had the misfortune to read. A nice little town it might be but that article (about 15 years ago) was nothing short of advertising for land speculators I strongly suspect.

If you have any idea of staying more than 30 days I suggest you get a tourist visa. This will allow you 60days and can be extended for a further 30, which will give you plenty of time.

Much less hassle than border runs, and less expense!!