Standing Room Only !

midas

Yuk :D

Irish airline Ryanair wants passengers to stand up on flights so they can cram more people on board :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/money/business_...e_ryanair_.html

Not actually Thai related but it is another example of Michael O'Leary's excellent opportunism and marketing skills. First 'pay as you go' for toilets and now standing room only. None will ever come about but it continues to raise the profile of Ryanair - brilliant :D

Irish airline Ryanair wants passengers to stand up on flights so they can cram more people on board :D

the "source" is a little suspect or at least its info is not fully accurate but nothing would suprise me about me oleary. i have a suggestion for him. get rid of the toilet and sell urine collection bottles (self sealing) plus some strong perfum for those that have accidents etc :)

Irish airline Ryanair wants passengers to stand up on flights so they can cram more people on board :)

Not actually Thai related but it is another example of Michael O'Leary's excellent opportunism and marketing skills. First 'pay as you go' for toilets and now standing room only. None will ever come about but it continues to raise the profile of Ryanair - brilliant :D

It is very much Thailand related because its not just Ryanair ...........the Chinese want to do it as well

so chances are Nok Air and Air Asia will at least need to consider it in this disasterous business environment

for airlines :D

Chinese Airline Proposes Standing Room Sections on Flights

http://www.switched.com/2009/07/03/chinese...ons-on-flights/

hmmm. Nice one! Everyone standing room to get more people on the plane. Doesn't matter about paying for the toilet then because no-one would be able to manover their way to them anyway. So, should the aircraft hit turbulance or have an emergency - What????????????

I guess my hand luggage will be my parachute and I'll be standing by the door should I ever be stupid enough to get on one of these flights in the first place.

Seat model....

i suppose that " postion " could be tolerable for up to 60 minutes but I wonder how

much discount they would offer passengers for that ?

It also depends if you helped with the push back and taxiing...

Seat model....

i suppose that " postion " could be tolerable for up to 60 minutes but I wonder how

much discount they would offer passengers for that ?

It also depends if you helped with the push back and taxiing...

:):D

Anyone who travels by Ryan Air are deluding themselves that they are getting some kind of bargain.

If you add up all the surcharges; check-in, baggage, credit card fees etc. then it would be safer to go with an airline who won't leave you stranded in an obscure European city airport leaving you to make your own way back home at your own expense.

How this cowboy outfit is still running is amazing, if you read Ryan Air passenger comments (see link below) then it seems the percentage of customers who fly with them again is around 5%

Customer reviews of Ryan Air

Why not go the extra mile and install cells similar to those ultra-dense Japanese hotels. They could get at least twice as many bodies in if all were horizontal. Include diapers and they could do away with the toilets all together.

Make them from carbon-fibre (strong and light) and in the event of a crash everyone has their own coffin.

Edited by TheMysteriousMrTesla

Make them from carbon-fibre (strong and light) and in the event of a crash everyone has their own coffin.

Ouch!!

But speaking as someone who lost close friends in Phuket, heaven knows how many more would have been lost if One2Die had thought of the stand-up 'seating' arrangement.

:) Nicegrab for free publicity. I am not that price sensisitve so I don't go near the Ryanairs of this world.

I don't think a standing configuration would allow the evacuation time requirements for the planes used to be satisfied. No way you could evacuate that many paniced people.

Ryanair should just be called flying in a coffin roulette.

Anyone who travels by Ryan Air are deluding themselves that they are getting some kind of bargain.

If you add up all the surcharges; check-in, baggage, credit card fees etc. then it would be safer to go with an airline who won't leave you stranded in an obscure European city airport leaving you to make your own way back home at your own expense.

How this cowboy outfit is still running is amazing, if you read Ryan Air passenger comments (see link below) then it seems the percentage of customers who fly with them again is around 5%

Customer reviews of Ryan Air

Flew with them regularly when I had property in Spain. They were excellent - you get what you pay for.

I invariably had just hand luggage and did not care where I sat so I did not get wound up thinking that I should receive receive a first class service for GBP 9.99 each way.

Would put Ryanair (and Easyjet) on par with Air Asia (except relative quality of onboard service) as far as knowing what you are getting for your money. Both are equally cr4p if you need any support services.

if you read Ryan Air passenger comments (see link below) then it seems the percentage of customers who fly with them again is around 5%

Maybe so, but that's not what Ryanair's Fiscal 2009 Results say. In the year ending March 31, its passenger numbers were up by 15 percent compared to 2008. While its profits got a haircut due to the soaring fuel prices, it still banked 105 million euros after taxes. The carrier added 223 new routes and increased its fleet by 18 new aircraft.

Sounds like Ryanair is doing really well to me, and lots of passengers must be coming back again and again.

when you read this no matter how

silly this idea may sound you realise this is about survival ......................

" Although more than 30 airlines have recently failed and withdrawn from the market, Pearce says this represents just 1% of global capacity. There will still be too much capacity in the market for the industry to cope effectively with the projected drop in traffic. "It's going to be a very challenging environment for airlines. Those that can control and reduce their costs will survive and maybe succeed."

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2009/...r-airlines.html

Its interesting that it was actually Airbus that first introduced this idea as far back as 2006 :)

" Airbus has been quietly pitching the standing-room-only option to Asian carriers, though none have agreed to it yet. Passengers in the standing section would be propped against a padded backboard, held in place with a harness, according to experts who have seen a proposal. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/business/25seats.html

" to Asian carriers " are those people like cows or something? Jeez! Talk about discrimination.

Spring Airlines in China seem quite determined about this proposal ...........

Airline wants passengers to stand during flights

The airline would need government backing to go ahead with the plans.

But Spring Airlines president Wang Zhenghua said that he was confident because the idea had been suggested by China's vice premier Zhang Dejiang.

“He suggested that, for a lower price, passengers should be able to get on a plane like catching a bus, with no seat, no luggage consignment, no food, no water, but very convenient,” said Mr Zhenghua.

He added that the company had consulted with Airbus, the company which built most of its aeroplanes, and had been told the proposals were safe.

“So once the government approves it formally, we'll try it,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2831...5014090,00.html