Penang: Tourist Visa Rejected If Have 3 Tvisas Already...

I suppose one consul does not a diplomatic service make. The Penang consulate is notorious, but not all should be tarred with the same brush. We cannot say it is government policy to get rid of tourists if it is just the Penang consulate doing the dirty. I am sure the TAT would be horrified to learn of what goes on there.

However, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs does not seem to have a firm grip on economics. The elite at the Ministry do not see their role as encouraging tourism but rather trade. While some have written here that not all people who get multimple tourist visas are working illegally, I suspect a fair number are. Not that even working in a legitimate business (i.e. not drugs or sexual slavery) should be small potatoes to the Thai Government if they look at it on a cost/benefit basis.

Thai Air Asia and Tiger are very economic airlines, especially if you book up well in advance, e.g. when you get the first visa and you know the expiry date, then make your booking straight away. While Singapore and Hong Kong are relatively expensive places to stay, there are cheap places available if you can stand the horror of the accommodation for a few days. Laos and Cambodia are fine, but note that I have been ripped off at the Lao embassy in the past, not by the Thai staff but the Lao people who hang around it pretending to be legitimate. Things may have changed.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these are people who are working black, not paying taxes and so on.
No way. Some are. Some aren't. There are many people under 50 who just want to hang out in the sun a long time. Big deal, they spend money. Not to mention English teachers. They are needed here yet it is so hard to get a legit work permit doing that they are made into a criminal class. It is crazy!

I really don't care how people stay here legal or illegal but don't whine how unfair Thailand is when you have been gaming the system for months or years and get caught out. It's like the kid with chocolate all over his face and says I didn't eat the cake when his mom comes home early. You sound like a fool and look like a fool.

These post are typical of what starts out as informational and turns into a joke.

Uh! you mean get caught doing something you are encouraged to do,ie, get a tourist visa instead of the VOA.

freakwit

Why stay in Thailand so long on a back to back tourist visa? You guys have to blame yourself for this. Just get yourself a non-imm B if you plan on staying long terms. Its a very simple procedure and not expensive.

You posters who criticize Thai visa policies because you say it will hurt tourism: why do you care so much? Do you love Thailand so much that you cannot bear to see the government make (what you think is) a mistake?

I worked inside a Thai government ministry in Bangkok for over a decade, and I saw first-hand how policies and high-level decisions were made. Let me say this: there was always - ALWAYS -- a rational basis for the policy decision (even though one might not like it).

So relax and accept that fact that you don't understand the basis for the policy, and the authorities don't care if you do or not.

Well I think this is a normal policy which is applied here. I dont see how a Thai people could renew a tourist visa every 3 months in Europe, that would not be possible. Thai people are doing the same here and we cant blame them for that. Anyway this does not affect my friends who are coming every years for a 3 weeks holiday time :) ...

WAKE UP guys and be honest. Most of us are not Tourist in the way Thailand want them. We are living here, some for a long time, means we know how things working, where to get cheap food and safe money....THATS what THEY dont like...another thing is we make Thaipeople ask questions and thats the worst you can do to the government in THailand.

I am also here on a tourist Visa atm. I am married but dont have the 400k on my bankaccount anymore....AM I STUPID?? how many Thaipeople do you know with more than 100k on a Bank, specially in times like that.

What do they care that we build houses here, bought cars, opened small businesses for our wifes and support the family in Isaan? The only thing they want is money.

Best solution: come to LOS give your money to the immigrationofficer at BKK Airport, turn around and p11s off They will love you for that!!

Penang Embassy is the last place I ever go again. Staff there is rude and unfriendly. If you are lucky you see a Thai around, most of them are locals, guess they make the decisions too. who gets a visa and who dont.

400k or 800k (unmarried)on a bank, 65k income a month?? ....do you see what the government want?

btw. I heard of offices which take care of all the visastuff incl. money for 20 to 25k ONLY .....good Taxfree income for the immi-officers AND you still save 25k for leaving the country every three month. :D

I am on my 3rd marrage visa, no 400k in the bank. I get my wife to sponsor me. she declares that she earns more than 45k a month, pays the tax on it. we put money, 5k, in her bank, take it out, put it in, take it out, put it in and so on. no probs, just got my new visa a couple of weeks back

Sounds very good my friend but I am not stupid. IT DOESNT WORK ANYMORE the way you just explained it! Since january YOU have to proof an income of 65000,.Baht or/and 400,000,.Baht on YOUR account for a minimum of 2/3 month !!!

Its to make sure YOU can take care your lady, not the other way around :)

Someone here thought that the new Visa regulations are not only made for FARANG?? there are a lot of Korean, Taiwanese and African people in Thailand also! Government want get rid of them guess WHY :D

Is there no one year Immigrant Visa M (multiple entry) anymore ???

My Thai girlfriend has a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa for the United States, good for six months at time. Only 3,500 baht for it too.

As an American in Thailand I get...3 months double entry?

Good thing nobody wants to go to the U.S...

Would you care to share with us the simple procedure of obtaining such a visa :)

---snip----

Sure.

We made an appointment at the embassy using the online system, filled out and printed the forms online. All 2 pages of forms. Meanwhile, I read up on what supporting documentation to bring.

The embassy was never very specific regarding what an interviewee should bring with them, but merely indicated that it should adequately demonstrate the the visitor was there for their stated purpose and would then depart the U.S. We collected the following documents, some of which they were interested in and others not;

Deed to her property (house) in Isaan

Letter from her employer stating that she was on vacation and what day she was expected to return to work

A letter from my mother (who was paying for the trip) stating that all her expenses would be paid while in the U.S, including her return ticket to Thailand. This was notarized by a notary public in the U.S. making it a legally binding document.

At the interview they asked her a few questions about her trip, then alot of questions about me. I was summoned to the embassy to explain my part in things, and for some reason they asked to see my Thai work permit, which I did possess at the time.

They issued the visa and returned her passport. The whole thing took less than a month, but it could have been much faster if we had scheduled the interview earlier.

She was then given a single entry 6 month "partial" visa with a "OAC" restriction, meaning she could only enter the United States together with me.

We did our trip and returned to Thailand.

About a year later we decided to do another trip, applied prepared all the same documents as before.

This time they didn't care about her supporting documents, about me, my work permit, nor did they ask many questions.

They saw that she had previously visited the United States, so they issued her a full tourist visa, which in the United States is 10 year multiple entry, six months per entry.

I have seen several incorrect statements as to the extension based on marriage to a Thai national. Please stay on topic. If people want to know more about the extension based on marriage then plase open a new topic, this topic is about getting tourist visas in penang.

Why stay in Thailand so long on a back to back tourist visa? You guys have to blame yourself for this. Just get yourself a non-imm B if you plan on staying long terms. Its a very simple procedure and not expensive.

100% correct. If your unsure on how to do this, do what I did and get a lawyer to get all the forms etc done for you. I get a new non-b every year and it saves all this trouble when the visa rules change. I can come and go from Thailand as I please also, which is great on returning to Thailand as its an easy process at immigration. If you live here long term its worth the money and effort. IMHO

The easiest thing is to consult a good lawyer, and change to an appropriate visa instead of relying on Tourist visas every 3 or 6 months.

It is quite easy to get a 1 year Business visa at the Brisbane Consulate which is not to far away or expensive to fly to.

Edited by MarleyMark

If you are a genuine tourist....it's not likely that you would need more than three back to back tourist visas. If you are not a genuine tourist...either get a proper visa or bugger off back home. The rules are not that complicated. Does your country allow people to just wander in and out pretending to be tourists?

Hi vicco!

Yes, I am not a genuine tourist but want to live here for some years.

What is the proper visa for an under 50 year old, non-working guy who don't want to marry (and don't want to go to school again) to stay here for a longer period?

If you advise me to get a proper visa, please tell me what kind of visa this can be. Your alternate advise (bugger off back home) sounds not so good to me ...

Suggestions are very welcome ;-))

The easiest thing is to consult a good lawyer, and change to an appropriate visa instead of relying on Tourist visas every 3 or 6 months.

It is quite easy to get a 1 year Business visa at the Brisbane Consulate which is not to far away or expensive to fly to.

Why can't people rely on a tourist visa? It is only the consualte in penang that won't isue more than 3.

Sounds very good my friend but I am not stupid. IT DOESNT WORK ANYMORE the way you just explained it! Since january YOU have to proof an income of 65000,.Baht or/and 400,000,.Baht on YOUR account for a minimum of 2/3 month !!!

:)

Thats quite an attack there - in fact the grandfathering of rules at the time if your FIRST application is quite the norm in Thailand, so the poster is quite possibly correct about his circumstances.

Oh and you are also incorrect, its 40k per month for marriage, 65k for retirement.

Edit - apologies for off topic post but felt the need to add 2 baht worth :D

Edited by ParadiseLost

Moskito: Someone here thought that the new Visa regulations are not only made for FARANG?? there are a lot of Korean, Taiwanese and African people in Thailand also! Government want get rid of them guess WHY

Korean's dont need to go to Penang. They get 3 months stay visa waiver on arrival - at a land border!!

:)

Thats quite an attack there - in fact the grandfathering of rules at the time if your FIRST application is quite the norm in Thailand, so the poster is quite possibly correct.

Oh and you are also incorrect, its 40k per month for marriage, 65k for retirement.

Please check with your immigration office if you dont belive it. 40k was yesterday, since january its 65k income or/and 400.000 on your account, regarding information at immigration in Phuket.

Grandfathering was a good idea, if the immigration offices follow the policeorders from BKK and some time ago they like to make their own rules (Pattaya-Phuket) They refused in Phuket giving me the grandfather status in 2006. After I fly to BKK and the immigration officer made a call to the immigration in Phuket, the officer told me it was a mistake and if they still refuse to give me the grandfatherstatus I had to come back to BKK. Easier said then done. In Phuket hereafter it was all the same, they refused again and I was to lazy to fly into BKK again, so I proofed 400k + 40k income and since that it is not possible anymore to jump back to the old regulations of grandfathering.

I married in Singapore 8 years ago but always they ask us for kids. We cant have kids and its not our fault, but is that a reason for kicking people out which are living here since 8 years and spent a lot of money for houses cars a shop etc etc ?

My Thai girlfriend has a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa for the United States, good for six months at time. Only 3,500 baht for it too.

Would you care to share with us the simple procedure of obtaining such a visa :D

Most people complaining here are EU/UK/US/CAN passport holders and as such have not experienced the nightmare it is trying to get into your own, or another 1st world country.

I am not such a passport holder and as such have jumped through many hoops for the wonderful privilege of working or touring in many of your countries. While working (legally) in UK for 3 years I was unable to visit EU countries without letters of invite, hotel bookings etc. etc. I was treated like garbage in several London embassies and felt humiliated every time.

I recently investigated obtaining an Australian tourist visa (for Thai wife and I) for a 3 week visit: I have given up before even starting... :D No internet application available - instead a 10 page visa application requiring more info than my Thai 1 year extension, an interview to prove our 3 year marriage is "real" and lastly proof of lots of... money. Fee AUD 105 each for the privilege. We live in the South, so a 5 day trip to BKK is of course required and just adds to the cost. In fact I decided screw this when the airfare and visa cost reached parity... :D:):D

Thank you for setting this out. Too many posters think that they have a god given right to come and go as they please in Thailand and that the Thai Government has no right to impose restrictions on what foreigners do in Thailand. They often justify this by siting their own countries. Utter rubbish as your post shows. It is good to see the other side of the coin.

Almost by definition immigration laws the world over a discrinatory. Some people get in easy: some have to climb a mountain. Same same Thailand, same same England, same same USA etc etc.

I don't understand why people wouldn't get a class 'O' Non immigrant visa from your home country before coming here

Not every country has a HULL, mate, which apparently hand out one year visas like candy. In the US, you need a legit reason and legit reasons are very limited and many many people don't have one. Cheers.

If any lovely people from RTC Hull are reading, please note I would like to distance myself from Mr Jingthing's untrue and irresponsible comment.

See you on the 10th :)

Please check with your immigration office if you dont belive it. 40k was yesterday, since january its 65k income or/and 400.000 on your account, regarding information at immigration in Phuket.

Grandfathering was a good idea, if the immigration offices follow the policeorders from BKK and some time ago they like to make their own rules (Pattaya-Phuket) They refused in Phuket giving me the grandfather status in 2006. After I fly to BKK and the immigration officer made a call to the immigration in Phuket, the officer told me it was a mistake and if they still refuse to give me the grandfatherstatus I had to come back to BKK. Easier said then done. In Phuket hereafter it was all the same, they refused again and I was to lazy to fly into BKK again, so I proofed 400k + 40k income and since that it is not possible anymore to jump back to the old regulations of grandfathering.

I married in Singapore 8 years ago but always they ask us for kids. We cant have kids and its not our fault, but is that a reason for kicking people out which are living here since 8 years and spent a lot of money for houses cars a shop etc etc ?

The rule is an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in the bank for an extension based on marriage.

But this is off topic. Please open up your own topic if you want to discss this further. Further discussions about this in this htread will be deleted as off topic.

These threads are becoming laughable. Genuine holidaymakers do not normally need to get three consecutive 60 days tourist visas, especially not from the same consulate! The only people this will have any effect on, should not be on tourist visas in the first place.
I work in the diving industry and am completely legal. However, I haven't always been. If all the divemasters and instructors working on tourist visas were to go home right now I don't believe there is one dive shop on this island that wouldn't go under. (There are about 47 in Koh Tao.) While being inconvenient and a bit sad for them, the Thai people that own these and work on this island would never recover. Literally thousands and thousands of dive courses that have been pre-booked would have to be refunded, ruining the real holidaymakers trip wasting there time and earning their derision forever.

Two years ago there was a major crackdown on illegal Burmese workers here, (there was a murder and of course you know it had to be a Burmese) and due to the fact that very few Thai folks here are willing or capable of doing any sort of work, the island literally stopped. If this happened with the skilled labor that the Farangs represent on this island (and many other places in Thailand) every single person with any vested interest (including me) in this island would be financially devastated and completely screwed. This will especially be true of some extremely rich and influential Thais.

I just think it's another shining example of shooting yourself and everyone else in the foot because of some ill-conceived attempt to do what?

OH YEA, THEY FORGOT WHY THEY DID IT?

Morons...

Edited by thetitan99

These threads are becoming laughable. Genuine holidaymakers do not normally need to get three consecutive 60 days tourist visas, especially not from the same consulate! The only people this will have any effect on, should not be on tourist visas in the first place.

Here, here. How many of you whingers have tried to get "back to back" tourist visa'a for your wives / girlfriends in your OWN country.

Don't knock Thailand, GET LEGAL.

I am convinced they dont want ( or dont care about ) Western tourists

any more. They see China as their future market - population bigger than USA and Europe combined and far less " intrusive " to their culture :)

I disagree - "normal" tourists don't have any problems at all. If you are staying less than 30 days you don't even need a visa! How I wish all countries were as enlightened. Well, there are a few but they all seem to be in Asia...

I work in the diving industry and am completely legal. However, I haven't always been. If all the divemasters and instructors working on tourist visas were to go home right now I don't believe there is one dive shop on this island that wouldn't go under. (There are about 47 in Koh Tao.) While being inconvenient and a bit sad for them, the Thai people that own these and work on this island would never recover. Literally thousands and thousands of dive courses that have been pre-booked would have to be refunded, ruining the real holidaymakers trip wasting there time and earning their derision forever.

Two years ago there was a major crackdown on illegal Burmese workers here, (there was a murder and of course you know it had to be a Burmese) and due to the fact that very few Thai folks here are willing or capable of doing any sort of work, the island literally stopped. If this happened with the skilled labor that the Farangs represent on this island (and many other places in Thailand) every single person with any vested interest (including me) in this island would be financially devastated and completely screwed. This will especially be true of some extremely rich and influential Thais.

I just think it's another shining example of shooting yourself and everyone else in the foot because of some ill-conceived attempt to do what?

OH YEA, THEY FORGOT WHY THEY DID IT?

Morons...

Well, maybe it is time the Koh Tao diving industry got its act together and started operating legally as a whole?

Here on Phuket in the diving industry there are illegal workers, as there are everywhere, but the vast majority of the instructors here are legal, including work permits.

Would you care to share with us the simple procedure of obtaining such a visa :)

---snip----

Sure.

We made an appointment at the embassy using the online system, filled out and printed the forms online. All 2 pages of forms. Meanwhile, I read up on what supporting documentation to bring.

The embassy was never very specific regarding what an interviewee should bring with them, but merely indicated that it should adequately demonstrate the the visitor was there for their stated purpose and would then depart the U.S. We collected the following documents, some of which they were interested in and others not;

Deed to her property (house) in Isaan

Letter from her employer stating that she was on vacation and what day she was expected to return to work

A letter from my mother (who was paying for the trip) stating that all her expenses would be paid while in the U.S, including her return ticket to Thailand. This was notarized by a notary public in the U.S. making it a legally binding document.

At the interview they asked her a few questions about her trip, then alot of questions about me. I was summoned to the embassy to explain my part in things, and for some reason they asked to see my Thai work permit, which I did possess at the time.

They issued the visa and returned her passport. The whole thing took less than a month, but it could have been much faster if we had scheduled the interview earlier.

She was then given a single entry 6 month "partial" visa with a "OAC" restriction, meaning she could only enter the United States together with me.

We did our trip and returned to Thailand.

About a year later we decided to do another trip, applied prepared all the same documents as before.

This time they didn't care about her supporting documents, about me, my work permit, nor did they ask many questions.

They saw that she had previously visited the United States, so they issued her a full tourist visa, which in the United States is 10 year multiple entry, six months per entry.

I liked the bit about not having to provide all the documentation the second time. Thailand could sure use that.

But for the rest, my one year multiple Non-O from Birmingham is a lot less hassle. It only requires one form, which is on my computer. I just change the date each year. The whole process, printing the forms, travelling to and from my home, waiting for the visa is about one hour. (I admit it would be longer if I lived further away). I do not need to travel with my wife, I pay for my own trips and my wife does not need to own a house.

Most of the moaners here do not have a wife with a house, do not have a mother-in-law to pay for the trip and pay for their expenses whilst in Thailand. They do not want to stay here for short visits; they want to stay here full time. So even if Thailand operated such a system they would not qualify.

I could be cynical and say that since your wife has money the USA welcomes her, but the real point is, for some people it is easy for others it is more difficult. It is the same the world over. Last I heard, to stay in USA Mexicans had to enter illegally in the first place.

I don't understand why people wouldn't get a class 'O' Non immigrant visa from your home country before coming here

Not every country has a HULL, mate, which apparently hand out one year visas like candy. In the US, you need a legit reason and legit reasons are very limited and many many people don't have one. Cheers.

If any lovely people from RTC Hull are reading, please note I would like to distance myself from Mr Jingthing's untrue and irresponsible comment.

See you on the 10th :)

Irony? OK, ha ha.

In case it wasn't:

In what way is what I said irresponsible or untrue? Is it not true that Hull is a visa mill and sells one year visas routinely for reasons like visiting friends? I am happy for you, but don't act like this is the way it is everywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

Quick question for the brain trust. I got a tourist visa for Thailand in Singapore in spring 2008, after having gotten one in fall 2007. In each case I stayed close to the maximum permitted 90 days. In between I spent Christmas in my home country.

The second visa is stamped, "Permitted to get a visa in RTE (Royal Thai Embassy) in SGP (Singapore) only this time."

Since then I've been in and out of Thailand, Japan and some Western countries.

So: Do you think I'll have trouble getting another tourist visa in Singapore? Same passport as before.

Many thanks.

You are a bit out of wack with your seasons........most of S.E. Asia only have 2 seasons,,,the dry and the wet.....no such things as the "fall'...must be a septic tank!....most of the world call the season you are referring to as Autumn....I haven]t seen too many trees in SE Asia dropping their leaves!!!

Come on people, really just get a type B it's easy as hel_l and its pennies. I spent like $174 from Houston, and got it back in less than a week. It can't be much more difficult than that elsewhere. Who wants to be stoped by some bothersome ill mannered immigration official over something easy to avoid?