Penang: Tourist Visa Rejected If Have 3 Tvisas Already...

I can see how it may amuse people slightly, that someone is not here legally; but all these high and mighty types I would love to see what you would do if a new Thai law came in tomorrow that stopped you being able to live here. Would you look for a loophole if it was quite easy to get away with it? Or would you go home? I think very much like the rest of us on here, you'd look for a way to stay, and if not, I think you're lying.

I think most of the high-and-mighty are either baiting, or perhaps like me are just sick and tired of the wining and complaining and general negative comments about Thailand. Whether the laws are fair or not, or just because they do not suit you does not make one iota of difference - either get legal or get out.

This does not mean such people are necessarily bad or even a burden on the country; it just means the law does not allow illegal immigrants - as in most countries.

It's black and white in most desirable countries; you either qualify or you don't. The biggest mistake Thai Immigration made was to ever allow multiple TV. This sent out the message that people can "live" here without going through proper screening etc.

The solution - only issue single tourist visas in the passport holders' own country, or if in a different country the holder must provide legal proof of residence in that country to qualify. I would still allow 30 days on entry but refuse back to back entrances unless separated by say 10 days.

Edited by ParadiseLost

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread seems to have tuned into an endless rant ...

Going through it, I'm not quite sure if I got the facts straight. I'm heading to Penang next week with the intent to get a new tourist visa. I only have one recent thai tourist visa in my passport (my current visa, which expires next week), and another one from the last time I was in Thailand about a year ago.

Does anyone know for a fact (and not just speculating) that I will, or will not get another visa issued to me in Penang. Is the trouble only for those who have tried to get 3 or more successive toursit visas?

Thanks!

I can see how it may amuse people slightly, that someone is not here legally; but all these high and mighty types I would love to see what you would do if a new Thai law came in tomorrow that stopped you being able to live here. Would you look for a loophole if it was quite easy to get away with it? Or would you go home? I think very much like the rest of us on here, you'd look for a way to stay, and if not, I think you're lying.

I think most of the high-and-mighty are either baiting, or perhaps like me are just sick and tired of the wining and complaining and general negative comments about Thailand. Whether the laws are fair or not, or just because they do not suit you does not make one iota of difference - either get legal or get out.

This does not mean such people are necessarily bad or even a burden on the country; it just means the law does not allow illegal immigrants - as in most countries.

It's black and white in most desirable countries; you either qualify or you don't. The biggest mistake Thai Immigration made was to ever allow multiple TV. This sent out the message that people can "live" here without going through proper screening etc.

The solution - only issue single tourist visas in the passport holders' own country, or if in a different country the holder must provide legal proof of residence in that country to qualify. I would still allow 30 days on entry but refuse back to back entrances unless separated by say 10 days.

It is posts like yours that make me hope they abrogate the grandfathered-in rules. On that day a lot of posters who are supporting these xenophobic visa rules will no doubt change their tune.

Thailand is hanging itself with these rules.........surrounding countries take a very different view towards expats/tourists and are benefiting financially from Thailand's successive mistakes.

I can see how it can wind people up whinging about a system in place that people are trying to fudge their way around; but at that same time if all those people on here with the correct visas are moaning about others on tourist visas - they are whinging too, plus what are they doing on a thread concerning tourist visas?

They should have no interest as it doesn't concern them, hence why all the people who are on here needing TVs are having a whinge; I think it's just a case of some know-it-all-high-and-mightys-who-think-they-are-now-thai coming onto threads and shoving their opinions onto threads that doesn't concern them; this is not the only thread I have seen it on.

Myself, I would prefer to go legit and will try and get a non O from Hull when I return in Oct, but would that still make a bad apple in they eyes of some here, because I have no WP yet due to no degree? I know there is a possibility I could get one as the school and kids would hate to lose me and may try and twist some arms; but even so, that's still not a legit way.

At the same time, it isn't right that people are abusing the system, but people are doing it to keep jobs etc. If I had all the right papers, I wouldn't hate on the teachers here without WPs or degrees as I am more concerned we should think of getting the evil farang out of this country instead; so-called gangsters, drug dealers and paedos - that's what is giving the farang the bad name. Just walk down Nana and see some of the clientel grabbing the girls; their the ones that need to be rid of.

At the end of the day, I think if Thailand really wanted to, it could stop the multiple entries, easy, no problem - so it obviously DOES want to keep some illegal workers in. Why? They know the country is infested with too many and the loss would have a ripple affects to their education system and other avenues (diving etc). Plus, I don't think too many immigration officers would be too happy; if you get my drift. :)

I can see how it can wind people up whinging about a system in place that people are trying to fudge their way around; but at that same time if all those people on here with the correct visas are moaning about others on tourist visas - they are whinging too, plus what are they doing on a thread concerning tourist visas?

They should have no interest as it doesn't concern them, hence why all the people who are on here needing TVs are having a whinge; I think it's just a case of some know-it-all-high-and-mightys-who-think-they-are-now-thai coming onto threads and shoving their opinions onto threads that doesn't concern them; this is not the only thread I have seen it on.

Myself, I would prefer to go legit and will try and get a non O from Hull when I return in Oct, but would that still make a bad apple in they eyes of some here, because I have no WP yet due to no degree? I know there is a possibility I could get one as the school and kids would hate to lose me and may try and twist some arms; but even so, that's still not a legit way.

At the same time, it isn't right that people are abusing the system, but people are doing it to keep jobs etc. If I had all the right papers, I wouldn't hate on the teachers here without WPs or degrees as I am more concerned we should think of getting the evil farang out of this country instead; so-called gangsters, drug dealers and paedos - that's what is giving the farang the bad name. Just walk down Nana and see some of the clientel grabbing the girls; their the ones that need to be rid of.

At the end of the day, I think if Thailand really wanted to, it could stop the multiple entries, easy, no problem - so it obviously DOES want to keep some illegal workers in. Why? They know the country is infested with too many and the loss would have a ripple affects to their education system and other avenues (diving etc). Plus, I don't think too many immigration officers would be too happy; if you get my drift. :D

Why? This site is an excellent source of information, and entertainment. It is only spoiled by people whinging and complaining against things they cannot change - like the kid stomping its feet in Tesco's because it can't have what it wants. This descends into spiteful slanderous comments about everything Thai, and next thing there are flames everywhere.

At the end of the day people will have to sort their lives out and move on, perhaps to Cambodia, Malaysia etc. but for how long until they are caught out there. Face it, if you want to live/work somewhere and have any security, you have to find a legal way. Tourist visas are not abused like this in the countries of most (if not all) posters, so why should it be different here?

I have no resentment for you, nor anyone else, no matter what your visa status - but you need to accept that things are as they are. I agree there is a need for teachers, and I agree the current legislation is not fair but it won't change - no matter how hard you cry, stomp your feet or hold your breath :):D:D

At the end of the day, I think if Thailand really wanted to, it could stop the multiple entries, easy, no problem - so it obviously DOES want to keep some illegal workers in. Why? They know the country is infested with too many and the loss would have a ripple affects to their education system and other avenues (diving etc). Plus, I don't think too many immigration officers would be too happy; if you get my drift. :D

Why? This site is an excellent source of information, and entertainment. It is only spoiled by people whinging and complaining against things they cannot change - like the kid stomping its feet in Tesco's because it can't have what it wants. This descends into spiteful slanderous comments about everything Thai, and next thing there are flames everywhere.

At the end of the day people will have to sort their lives out and move on, perhaps to Cambodia, Malaysia etc. but for how long until they are caught out there. Face it, if you want to live/work somewhere and have any security, you have to find a legal way. Tourist visas are not abused like this in the countries of most (if not all) posters, so why should it be different here?

I have no resentment for you, nor anyone else, no matter what your visa status - but you need to accept that things are as they are. I agree there is a need for teachers, and I agree the current legislation is not fair but it won't change - no matter how hard you cry, stomp your feet or hold your breath :):D:D

I agree with some of what you've said. I'm particularly good at moaning and it all started with the proverbial ice cream, and no doubt mommies 'this is thailand' before that.

Nevertheless it sounds like you are applying a novices' experience and western ideals.

It's not just about foot stomping, it's about making a living!

Just wait a while perhaps you'll feel different in a few years.

Regarding the main issue, people were told no more than a year ago that if they wanted to get legal they should get a tourist visa.

I agree with some of what you've said. I'm particularly good at moaning and it all started with the proverbial ice cream, and no doubt mommies 'this is thailand' before that.

Nevertheless it sounds like you are applying a novices' experience and western ideals.

It's not just about foot stomping, it's about making a living!

Just wait a while perhaps you'll feel different in a few years.

Regarding the main issue, people were told no more than a year ago that if they wanted to get legal they should get a tourist visa.

Nice response, only one small point - I don't really get the novice thing, I am in my 40's so there are regrettably few new experiences out there for me :D .

In fact I have travelled for work ever since I left my country in 1994 and have lived/worked in countries such as USA, UK, Australia and Holland so I have had my fair share of immigration crap to deal with. I have always been 100% legal though, and I would still have a lot of work available to me - if I could get the required visa.

Since 2004 I work/live in Asia, earning 30% of what I earned 5 years ago - but I am happier by far. I always get proper visas but then they are easier to obtain in certain categories. I sympathise with teachers here. However I don't feel that just by providing a valuable skill you are entitled to break the law.

Regarding the getting legal comment, I seriously doubt the immigration message was "if you want to live and work in Thailand get tourist visas", if I recall the (implied) message was "no more border runs using the 30 day stamp, you now have to get a tourist visa".

I don't want to preach to anyone; rather I say just accept reality and don't spit the dummy when you don't want to :D:D

My friend went to Khota Baru last month and he got the dreaded "last tourist visa" stamp in his passport as he already has more than 3 so its not just Penang, they also gave him a letter stating it was government policy and not of their doing!

ab1594, I would be grateful if you could get copies of the “last tourist visa” stamp and the explanatory letter that your friend got in Khota Baru, then attach it to your next post in this topic. This will be of interest to all members reading this topic.

--

Maestro

So does this mean 3 visas total from all time periods/embassies in your passport? Or three in a row from Penang. I think they already cut you off in Penang after three in a row from them. Does anyone know?

And not everyone on consecutive tourist visas is working or being illegal. I am considering marrying a Thai man... but knowing what you know about all of the horror stories, would you fast-track a marriage in this situation? Or would you rather stick around a while and be sure before making that step? I make my money at home, and am renting an apartment in the meantime until we marry (maybe this fall). Yes there are divers and whatnot working illegally on 3,456 back to back tourist visas, but everyone has their own reason for being here longer than typical tourism. Not all of us are here stealing Thai jobs, money, being losers, or <deleted> off the system for kicks.

what if get marry with a thai citizen as farang ?

how long visa do you get and how?

You can get a "O" visa for 1 year,but you have to leave every 90 days.

If you apply in your home country you don't have to show any bank statement for 400,000 bath (I didn't anyway)

If you apply here in Thailand thay request a bankstatment....

A good and legal option, is to get two passports (UK peps can not sure for other nationalities).

EXIT thailand to any other country-send the passport with the exit stamp to the thai consulate in Hull (all payment details on their website). Give an address in the UK or Europe and the consulate will return your passport with the visa you have requested. Have the passport returned from that address to the hotel you are staying in that is outside of Thailand. Return to thailand on new visa.

This is totally legal, just convoluted as you are relying on couriers and the people in the UK/Europe address to send everything back to you quickly.

Talk to your embassy about having 2 passports. I need mine because I travel in the ME and may need to travel to Israel. If I get a Israelis stamp in my passport I can not enter many narrowminded counrties in that region. nothing iilegal about having 2 passports and certainly nothing illegal about applying OUTSIDE of Thailand.

Anyone comtemplating trying this whilst in thailand is daft. the penalty for getting caught would be a life ban from entering the kingdom, i imagine.

Edited by teddy_bare

ps : one small step for man, one giant leap for stupidity.

Tourism down, economic depression, drop in consumption. What should we do?

I know! let's pixx off yet another spender.

Bunch of cXXXX

That is a rather rude way to behave towards a country that has welcomed you on the basis of your declaration that you are a tourist.

There is nothing to stop bona fide tourists from going to Thailand and spending their money. After 180 days (3x60), it gets hard to believe that tourism is the true purpose of stay, hence the expectation that the correct kind of visa will be obtained by someone wanting to stay longer.

Visa runners aree seldom big spenders, and nobody has a right to stay in Thailand with the wrong kind of visa.

These threads are becoming laughable. Genuine holidaymakers do not normally need to get three consecutive 60 days tourist visas, especially not from the same consulate! The only people this will have any effect on, should not be on tourist visas in the first place.

At least some people here have common sense. Nobody is entitled to stay in Thailand. Just like everywhere else, you have to tackle some bureacracy and get the right kind of visa - if you have something to offer or otherwise meet the criteria.

It's the same everywhere. In fact, Thailand is easier than a lot of places.

Edited by dbrenn

I fear this has little to do with tourism, or big spenders....................

It is another attempt to weed out the illegal workers and long stay

people who do not meet the retirement or marriage criteria. :D

You got it :)

Edited by dbrenn

Thailand has the same amount of daily hostility and police corruption etc as farang-land.

But with added friendly,smiling thais...and daily overcharging and/or scams.

And some thais are extremely helpful and friendly.

It is too much to handle too,the daily hostility.

Can you recommend a safer friendlier asian country?I've had enough.

In my experience, every "farang-land" I have been to, has had way less daily hostility and police corruption - having been here a number of years, I haven't met a Thai yet who was not also facing numerous difficulties which we rarely meet with in "farang-land" - with this much low-grade chronic stress.

but answer your question - I lived for 6 years in the Indian Himalayas and would rate that time 80-90 % delightful ....

In my experience, every "farang-land" I have been to, has had way less daily hostility and police corruption - having been here a number of years, I haven't met a Thai yet who was not also facing numerous difficulties which we rarely meet with in "farang-land" - with this much low-grade chronic stress.

but answer your question - I lived for 6 years in the Indian Himalayas and would rate that time 80-90 % delightful ....

Thais have problems just like everywhere else. You probably enjoyed the himalayas because you were more suited to the environment, and your positive attitute towards the place suffused your everyday dealings with people.

One thing that I have noticed: Thailand reflects the temperament of the observer. People who are negative and hostile have nothing but bad experiences in Thailand. The opposite is true too, only in a higher degree: if you are positive and nice to people, you get rewarded many times over. These are the people who have a successful and happy life in Thailand, not the negative complainers, who insist on staying in spite of claiming to hate the pace so much.

Edited by dbrenn

I've deleted a reported flame and the responses to it.

Let's keep this on topic and leave out the personal attacks, there are those for whom there is no valid immigration vehicle other than back-to-back Tourist Visas.

Let's keep this on topic and leave out the personal attacks, there are those for whom there is no valid immigration vehicle other than back-to-back Tourist Visas.

That contravenes TV rules. Whan you enter Thailand, you have to declare your purpose of stay. If you are not a tourist, and living in the country, you should not be lying that you are a tourist. TV rules are clear with respect to probity and the law.

It's easy to see why the Thai government is putting the squeeze on this practice, and I fail to see why TV condones tourism and an 'immigration vehicle', while at the same time condemning anything else illegal.

Quite apart from that, why do you delude people into thinking that they can 'stay' in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas? Some people might read your above post, and take a huge financial risk moving to Thailand, only to find that they are not allowed to stay.

That contravenes TV rules. Whan you enter Thailand, you have to declare your purpose of stay. If you are not a tourist, and living in the country, you should not be lying that you are a tourist. TV rules are clear with respect to probity and the law.

It's easy to see why the Thai government is putting the squeeze on this practice, and I fail to see why TV condones tourism and an 'immigration vehicle', while at the same time condemning anything else illegal.

Quite apart from that, why do you delude people into thinking that they can 'stay' in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas? Some people might read your above post, and take a huge financial risk moving to Thailand, only to find that they are not allowed to stay.

Dbrenn, I don't really want to get into a flame war, but what about those (lucky sods) under the age of 50 who have managed to be able to retire (or who are of independent means). What visa would you suggest in their case? I believe that only a Tourist Visa fits the bill, they are after all Perpetual Tourists (until they're 50 anyway).

Edited by TheMysteriousMrTesla

Dbrenn, I don't really want to get into a flame war, but what about those (lucky sods) under the age of 50 who have managed to be able to retire (or who are of independent means). What visa would you suggest in their case? I believe that only a Tourist Visa fits the bill, they are after all Perpetual Tourists (until they're 50 anyway).

I don't make the rules, and nor does anyone at Thaivisa, so I'm afraid that you will not find the answer to your question here. Thaivisa reports on what has been, not what will be. All I am saying is don't take a financial position in a country where you might not be allowed to stay.

Unfortunately, Immigration laws are similar elsewhere - if you don't meet the criteria, the authorities may not believe that you are a tourist when you are not one, and you should be prepared for disappointment. The pretence that tourist visasa are an 'immigration vehicle' are confounded by the reality that living on such visas is a highly tenuous existence, and you may find yourself on the receiving end of a rule change at any time, with absolutely no recourse, like the people who were stranded in Penang.

You can't build a house on foundations of sand, I'm afraid, so have a plan B.

This limit on three back-to-back tourist visa issues is nothing new.

Your options are restricted however, if you are married to a Thai citizen, you will almost certainly be granted a multi-entry "O". Or your daughter would entitle you to the "visiting friends or family option" I would imagine to obtain the same visa. Messing about with tourist visas or border runs with or without a visa is becoming a thing of the past.

Can we please stop all the School Playground arguing. All that has happened is that one Consulate has imposed their own restrictions as they have done in the past and will probably do again in the future.

This has nothing to do with Thai Immigration or Thai Government. Simply one Consul applying his own rule.

There is no delusion from TV. They did'nt create the situation where people could stay on tourist visas.

For many people its the only way.

In the mid 1990's I did it myself. Went down to Penang 5 times in a row. Chatted on the train with guys who were doing it for years. They did'nt have any other option. I knew I was'nt going to stay in Thailand forever. For these guys it was their life.

Therefore this thread is important, and relevant.

Do as many others in this situation does.

Form a company, get WP, get non-B visa.

I did it before I got married.

My friend (41years) has been doing it for years, he has a company that own his property.

Has a work permit, pays his taxes and gets his multiple entry non-B from KL every 15 months.

Do as many others in this situation does.

Form a company, get WP, get non-B visa.

I did it before I got married.

My friend (41years) has been doing it for years, he has a company that own his property.

Has a work permit, pays his taxes and gets his multiple entry non-B from KL every 15 months.

Exactly, im 35 and have been doing this for 2 nearly 3 years, I use a lawyer to deal with the paperwork and get my visa from either Hull or Madrid

Update on Penang's rules for issuing Tourist Visas.

Based on the report in another forum, Penang will not issue a Tourist Visa in case

• there are already 3 Tourist Visas in the passport
  • the passport holder has extended a Tourist Visa (30-day extension) and wants to apply for a new TV after that.

The traveller was told that the Penang consulate 'has/makes its own rules'.

welo