Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Plans For Bangkok's New Tallest Building Unveiled

Cowboyshoe

The design for the MahaNakhon Tower...  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

thumb.jpg

From Architectural Record:

OMA-Designed MahaNakhon Tower Announced

July 22, 2009

By Aleksandr Bierig

The Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) released renderings today of their forthcoming MahaNakhon tower and plaza in Bangkok, Thailand, with design led by OMA partner Ole Scheeren, head of the firm's Beijing office. The 1.6 million-square-foot, $515 million complex plans to include 200 apartments, a 150-room "Bangkok Edition" hotel operated by Marriott Group International with hotelier Ian Schrager, and mixed-use public and commercial space. Construction begins later this year with an intended completion in late 2012.

Rendering of the MahaNakhon Tower in Bangkok, Thailand.

The centerpiece of MahaNakhon is an elaborately designed 77-story tower. At a planned 1,017 feet, it will be the tallest structure in Bangkok. A spiraling incision of "architectural pixels" travels up the building, interrupting the curtain wall to reveal a series of terraces for larger units and shared spaces. This frenetic expression, according to Scheeren, came out of the psyche of Bangkok itself, which he describes as "the most intense and chaotic" of Southeast Asian cities. Throughout the "pixels," the tower's conventional glass curtain wall is disintegrated into cubes that will feature a variety of vegetation circling up the building, reflecting what Scheeren calls "the constant struggle between civilization and nature" in the tropical city.

Another primary feature is the fully operable "bi-fold balcony window" that allows the glazed wall to open completely in the building's smaller units. Scheeren says that this strategy grew out of the fluidity of indoor and outdoor space in Bangkok's tropical climate. Instead of a separate outdoor terrace—which would have made smaller units much more expensive—Scheeren says the idea was that "suddenly you can open your whole living room facade in to a balcony."

At ground level, the design attempts to reinvent the tower podium by creating a "valley" between two series of terraces—one at the bottom of the tower and the second as part of an adjacent structure called the "Cube"—which together frame a public square with restaurants, cafés, and other commercial space, creating a connection to the street and surrounding city. This sense is tied into the name of the tower itself, according to Scheeren: "The full name of Bangkok in Thai is Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, which means 'Bangkok Great Metropolis'—naming the tower MahaNakhon expresses the ambition of the project to be a metropolitan center for the city."

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/da..._mahanakhon.asp

I like the bi-fold windows, perfect for leaning out to get good views, I wonder if they will be installed if project goes ahead ? :)

The planned “bi-fold” windows, planned in smaller apartments to open units entirely to the outside.

10.jpg

I think the ground floors work better than the upper floors. The integration of the acade with the street level looks interesting.

The upper floors with the 'eroded' spiraling balconies look tricky. It will be the 'talk of the town' though and in Bangkok that's what counts.

The developers are the people behind Saladaeng Residence.

The article described it as 200 apartments but I heard they are condo's and whilst it hasn't launched yet, heard that they will be looking for 300K per sqm. I also heard that this was also going to be the Ritz Carlton, not the Marriott.

Bear in mind that all of the recent news has come from the architect and nothing has been released by the developer so take all of it with a large grain of salt.

BTW I like the design, very Bangkok, and very modern too, but many Thais I know really dislike it.

Edited by quiksilva

Completion in late 2012 seems just a tad optimistic...probably 2014. The prices seem off the wall too, which is fitting, given the falling apart look of the construction. Salandaeng Residences seem to be very optimistic. They're trying to sell those units at THB240k plus.

Edited by samtam

First question - Are the glass facade insulated double glazed to suit 'Bangkok's tropical climate'?

Second question - Where are the carparks and EIA required green areas? Planting coconut trees on the roof of a structure is not considered green.

The article described it as 200 apartments but I heard they are condo's and whilst it hasn't launched yet, heard that they will be looking for 300K per sqm. I also heard that this was also going to be the Ritz Carlton, not the Marriott.

Actually, that will be the first (Bill) Marriott - (Ian) Schrager management joint venture.

Might we expect a Studio54 revival in Bangkok?

Source: Hotel Chatter

Full details in the developer's press release attached, confirming that it is indeed the Bangkok Edition Hotel, but with the Ritz Carlton Residences, and starts at THB235K per sqm

PS I know what you are getting at TH, foreign architects not being able to practise here, but its really very common, the design is done overseas, and signed off by a local architectural practice, this has happened with many of Bangkok's modern large scale buildings, including offices, condo's, hotels.

MahaNakhon_PressRelease_en.pdf

Edited by quiksilva

Bangkok-2-4.jpg

Bangkok Rising: Construction to Begin on Bangkok's Tallest Building Designed by Ole Scheeren

In the 125 years since William Le Baron Jenney’s ten-storey Home Insurance Building in Chicago became the world’s first skyscraper, the spectacle of soaring towers has become increasingly common wherever land is scarce, allowing cities to stack life ever taller, denser and more dynamic. Like cathedrals and palaces of the past, skyscrapers today define their cities’ identities as they shape the skyline. As the late critic Herbert Muschamp wrote of these modern wonders, “Contemporary architects reveal the inner world in the process of adorning the outer one.”

Beginning in Fall 2009, the city of Bangkok – home to an estimated 15 million people – will start to embrace an unprecedented new architectural manifestation of its extraordinary ‘inner world’ when construction begins on MahaNakhon, a dazzling tower designed by internationally celebrated German architect Ole Scheeren, Partner of the Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA). With MahaNakhon, Scheeren, whose many landmark projects include the CCTV Tower in Beijing, has crafted a gleaming 77-storey skyscraper that will be the tallest building in Thailand’s capital. The design moves beyond the traditional formula of a seamless, inert, glossy totem, and instead actively engages the city: MahaNakhon’s pixilated and carved presence embraces and connects to the surrounding urban fabric rather than overpowering it.

Its glittering stacked surfaces, terraces and protrusions will simultaneously create the impression of digital pixilation and echo the irregularity of ancient mountain topography. This architectural geography is conceived to convey the energy, intensity and inclusiveness of Thai society and celebrate Bangkok’s emergence as a true global capital, fitting the Thai meaning of the name MahaNakhon, translated as ‘great metropolis’.

Read the full article here.

Massive MahaNakon landmark project unveiled

Billed as the largest Thai property project today and the city's tallest when completed, MahaNakon was yesterday unveiled as a striking 77-storey tower and retail complex with a market value of Bt18 billion.

Local builder Pace Development and its partner IBC (Industrial Building Corp), a subsidiary of Israel's Fishman Group, said the project aimed to "deliver an architecture befitting Bangkok's place among Asia's great cities".

On completion in 2012, it will house the Ritz Carlton Residences, where the smallest 125-square-metre units will sell for Bt30 million.

The monolithic structure and a second building with a plaza are the brainchild of renowned designer Ole Scherer, best known for his prestigious CCTV Tower in Beijing, with its "loops" signifying the many linkages that form China's state communications giant.

Scherer, a partner of the OMA architecture firm, holds great affection for Bangkok, having spent more than half a year in the city in 1999 on a campaign for an architectural exhibition called "Cities on the Move".

"Bangkok is a city where the past, present and future come together", he said. "Its old waterfront settlements, colonial buildings and skyscrapers coexist as one."

"Bangkok is very chaotic, intense, yet it is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited - because of its sharp contrasts," he said. "I have the fantasy that 500 years in the future, many cities will look like Bangkok."

His view is reminiscent of Ridley Scott's sci-fi film "Blade Runner".

Bangkok has "dome towers, elephant buildings, robot buildings and even UFO-buildings," he observed.

"To make MahaNakon unique, we decided on a slim monolithic form."

"A monolith itself is dull, it doesn't give or take from the environment. So we decided to excavate the building," he said, gouging out large sections of the building at various points.

"By doing that we can achieve an amazing range of structures, like massive terraced gardens in many sections, floating rooms and spaces in the air."

Pace Development chief executive Surapoj Techakraisri said: "The firm has kept its promise to make MahaNakon a landmark."

Referring to the plaza section of the compound, which aims to draw in people with its opulent gardens, open restaurants and facilities for outdoor events, Surapoj said: "We wanted to build something that will enhance the stature of the Thai capital as well as give something back to its citizens."

The hotel component of the complex - called The Edition - will be operated by the Marriott chain.

While MahaNakon is IBC's first Thai project, it should not be the last, said CEO Dalit Braun.

And while Vietnam and India look promising, Thailand is an easier market to invest in, she said.

Braun first visited Thailand 20 years ago and has never ceased to be surprised at the many improvements she has seen over the years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-24

Brilliant! The post-post-modern, post-nuclear attack motif has a built in already-decaying look that will effectively mask actual structural and maintenance problems for years to come. One gets the impression that another substantial chunk could let go any minute. Hopefully economic realities will prevent this architectural disgrace from ever being built.

thumb.jpg

From Architectural Record:

OMA-Designed MahaNakhon Tower Announced

July 22, 2009

By Aleksandr Bierig

The Office for Metropolitan Architecture (OMA) released renderings today of their forthcoming MahaNakhon tower and plaza in Bangkok, Thailand, with design led by OMA partner Ole Scheeren, head of the firm's Beijing office. The 1.6 million-square-foot, $515 million complex plans to include 200 apartments, a 150-room "Bangkok Edition" hotel operated by Marriott Group International with hotelier Ian Schrager, and mixed-use public and commercial space. Construction begins later this year with an intended completion in late 2012.

Rendering of the MahaNakhon Tower in Bangkok, Thailand.

The centerpiece of MahaNakhon is an elaborately designed 77-story tower. At a planned 1,017 feet, it will be the tallest structure in Bangkok. A spiraling incision of "architectural pixels" travels up the building, interrupting the curtain wall to reveal a series of terraces for larger units and shared spaces. This frenetic expression, according to Scheeren, came out of the psyche of Bangkok itself, which he describes as "
the most intense and chaotic" of Southeast Asian cities
. Throughout the "pixels," the tower's conventional glass curtain wall is disintegrated into cubes that will feature a variety of vegetation circling up the building, reflecting what Scheeren calls "the constant struggle between civilization and nature" in the tropical city.

Another primary feature is the fully operable "bi-fold balcony window" that allows the glazed wall to open completely in the building's smaller units. Scheeren says that this strategy grew out of the fluidity of indoor and outdoor space in Bangkok's tropical climate. Instead of a separate outdoor terrace—which would have made smaller units much more expensive—Scheeren says the idea was that "suddenly you can open your whole living room facade in to a balcony."

At ground level, the design attempts to reinvent the tower podium by creating a "valley" between two series of terraces—one at the bottom of the tower and the second as part of an adjacent structure called the "Cube"—which together frame a public square with restaurants, cafés, and other commercial space, creating a connection to the street and surrounding city. This sense is tied into the name of the tower itself, according to Scheeren: "The full name of Bangkok in Thai is Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, which means 'Bangkok Great Metropolis'—naming the tower MahaNakhon expresses the ambition of the project to be a metropolitan center for the city."

http://archrecord.construction.com/news/da..._mahanakhon.asp

IMHO a load of bollhooks. Perhaps the view from the 77th floor of this monstrosity will give the "oh so special "occupants a good view of the "real Bangkok."

"Intense & chaotic" indeed! :)

<snip>

"Bangkok is a city where the past, present and future come together", he said. "Its old waterfront settlements, colonial buildings and skyscrapers coexist as one."

Bangkok has "dome towers, elephant buildings, robot buildings and even UFO-buildings," he observed.

<snip>

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-24

Have they been inspired by the beautiful condo ruin close to Saphan Taksin BTS station -

the one you can see on the left side towards Saphan Taksin... ? :)

Thats Blade Runner/Robot/Dome/Elephant/UFO all in one !!! :D

post-327-1248432272_thumb.jpg

Edited by webfact

<snip>

<snip>

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-24

Have they been inspired by the beautiful condo ruin close to Saphan Taksin BTS station -

the one you can see on the left side towards Saphan Taksin... ? :)

Thats Blade Runner/Robot/Dome/Elephant/UFO all in one !!! :D

post-327-1248432272_thumb.jpg

You are a classic webfact, Thats the first building I thought of when I saw the artists impression of this new building.

There isnt a hope in hel_l that you would catch me standing in one of those boxy rooms that overhangs the rest of building.

I wonder I they are going to just rely on ur typical thai condo builder type person or if they are going to import truck loads of them from Burma.

“with design led by OMA partner Ole Scheeren, head of the firm's Beijing office”

I see they are making no attempt to hide the foreign involvement.

TH

I think Bangkok and Thailand should be proud of this design. It's not just another building but spectacular and a fresh new design, instead of all the similar looking other high skyscrapers. It will become a landmark for Bangkok!

OMA* is a very famous architect company and there's nothing Chinese with them. OMA has an office in Beijing because they designed and constructed quite a few buildings in China, that's all. The headoffice is in Rotterdam - Holland.

They designed famous buildings all over the world

OMA was founded in 1975 by world famous architect REM KOOLHAAS from The Netherlands.

Ole Scheeren* (2nd half thirties, 37/38) is a German architect working as a partner in OMA's company.

OMA: Office for Metropolitan Architecture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_for_Me...an_Architecture

OMA designed and built spectacular buildings, all over the world:

http://www.oma.eu/index.php?option=com_con...23&Itemid=6

post-13995-1248434098_thumb.jpg post-13995-1248434124_thumb.jpg CCTV Television Headquarters in Beijing, designed by Rem Koolhaas & Ole Scheeren/OMA

* Ole Scheeren has good taste.... :) he is together with famous Hong Kong actress Maggie Cheung:

post-13995-1248435605_thumb.jpg Ole Scheeren & Maggie Cheung

LaoPo

Great architecture always has the lovers and haters.

I love it; looks fantastic and it will be finally a real icon for the city; any city in the world would be proud to have work by OMA - if you check out Prada Transformers or CCTV - these are truly great projects that both attracted the sorts of comments above.

Incidentally, so did the Sydney Opera House.

Anyone who doesn't know anything about architecture would do well to learn and read the SMLXL book by Rem Koolhaus, the guy is one of the 4 big thinkers in architecture as I understand, the other 3 are dead or very very old and don't do anything except lie in wooden boxes in the ground.

250k per sqm is what the articles are saying on average. Relative to other hotel branded Ritz Carlton places, seems way cheaper than say singapore or USA etc; relative to other developments in the city is not even the highest - Sukhothai has units sold for 350k+ already.

Opening windows is wishful thinking or unrealistic - take your choice.

I strolled through the parking lot of C.Rai airport recently, and of the hundreds of cars, not one had a window open (or cracked, in slang). Each and every car had all its windows tightly shut, on a hot sunny day.

Same with hotels. One reason I avoid expensive hotels (besides being a cheapskate) is the windows either don't open, or they open with no screens. I like fresh air, but don't particularly like flying bugs. Well, fresh air is a rare commodity in Bangkok even in the best of times, so no amount of beautiful artists' renditions will change that.

Plus, no matter how classy the structure is, most people will still have to exit to the steamy loud clogged streets in the vicinity, at least a few times a week.

I think I'll stay at my limestone cliff-backed hill in northernmost Thailand, for a variety of reasons - not least because it costs about 1/25,000th as much as the interesting looking high-rise, but also for the views of rolling hills, the fresh air, the drinkable water, absence of traffic, the owls in the rookeries. To each his own.

Edited by brahmburgers