Pattaya - The Armpit Of Thailand

Chaimai

I fail to understand why, when someone posts a topic entitled "Pattaya, what's the attraction" - respondents insist on replying with why they hate Pattaya. Surely, the clue was in the topic title ! :)

In recognition of this, I thought I would start this thread where members can post their reasons for hating Pattaya. I do not expect to see any balanced postings, let alone any biased in favour of Pattaya.

This is the opportunity for those who think that Pattaya is the world's most dangerous sh!te hole to vent their opinions. (this will also wenable those who have a positive view of Pattaya to post on the above-mentioned topic with the confidence of not getting to shot down in flames :D

I think Pattaya gets some bad press but everytime I have gone there which is often, I have had fun. there are many good people in pattaya amongst the wierdos. there are good hotels, good restaurants and good pubs/bars to be found as well.

Three posts and ALL of them defensive of Pattaya.

This is not the point of this particular topic - post your positives in the alternative thread "Pattaya - what's the attraction".

This topic is for those who have negative views to express them.

Pattaya the armpit of Thailand?

I think not. There are many places in Isaan jostling for that title.

The crotch of Thailand perhaps, but not the armpit.

Not quick enough.

Again, "please explain"

Couldn't agree more with you on that "Geekfreak"but i would go one further and say that Pattaya is what you make it, it offers pretty much everything and more and i would call it the "heart of Thailand", certainly not the armpit!

Not quick enough.

Again, "please explain"

Explain what, the difference between an armpit and a crotch ?

Ones in the northern region the other further south.

I love the way the breeze blows gently in Pattaya :D

...gently from offshore, across the sewage treatment plant and down Walking Street.

That better Chamai?

Nan - still too "soft" :D

I guess that I just have to accept that a 'negative' post draws positive responses and a 'positive' post draws negative ones :)

I love the way the breeze blows gently in Pattaya :D

...gently from offshore, across the sewage treatment plant and down Walking Street.

That better Chamai?

Nan - still too "soft" :D

I guess that I just have to accept that a 'negative' post draws positive responses and a 'positive' post draws negative ones :)

We could call it the magnet effect.

Three posts and ALL of them defensive of Pattaya.

This is not the point of this particular topic - post your positives in the alternative thread "Pattaya - what's the attraction".

This topic is for those who have negative views to express them.

Okay, go ahead and flame me, but here goes: in Bangkok, one walks roughly ten minutes in any direction and there are good street food vendors everywhere, not to mention scores of middle and working class Thai restaurants packed with locals..Central Pattaya, forget it...yeah, there is the night market on Soi Bua Kao, but comparatively, pickings are slim....

The beach...what beach? That small strip of sand smothered with wall to wall beach chairs, sellers, and the likes..fronting the beautifully clean and clear Pattaya Bay?..wonder if it is a coincidence that in every visit to Pattaya i have never once gone swimming. Rather spend the extra few hours and go to Ko Chang or Mak, or spend even less time and go to Ko Si Chang.

The nightlife? Yeah, legendary, the odds are good, but the goods are odd....gets very old and boring fast because there are few other choices. I like to go see good live Thai music, which in Bangkok there are plenty of clubs catering to that and to the music scene..in Pattaya, outside of the Blues Club, nothing but pulsing gogo beats and a few places hashing out poor copies of classic rock. I'd go on and on, but then I'd get really flamed. Nuff said...what is the attraction? Or put it this way, if for some reason the nightlife disappeared, would there be anyone left?

corruption seems more evident in pattaya than other parts of thaialnd i've stayed in

sex industry is too widespread, in other areas in thailand it's easier to avoid these places by not visiting the area..pattaya you'd end up on sukhumvit if you tried to avoid the sex shops/bars

sex tourists and their belief that it's acceptable just because people have always sold their body for sex and thai people need the money

wild dogs roaming the streets and attacking people

amount of paedophilies that travel to pattaya and surrounding areas, always in the pattaya news & i caught the same 1 twice, took him to the police and he was let off...so there's many many more that are on the streets and active

that's my experience with the place it's a haven for dregs and after watching as a paedo was let off by the police that was enough for me lol unsurprisingly when i mentioned it to other farang they weren't that bothered...anybody that can remain in such a city is of questionable morals lol no doubt that will offend some but it's the truth

corruption seems more evident in pattaya than other parts of thaialnd i've stayed in

sex industry is too widespread, in other areas in thailand it's easier to avoid these places by not visiting the area..pattaya you'd end up on sukhumvit if you tried to avoid the sex shops/bars

sex tourists and their belief that it's acceptable just because people have always sold their body for sex and thai people need the money

wild dogs roaming the streets and attacking people

amount of paedophilies that travel to pattaya and surrounding areas, always in the pattaya news & i caught the same 1 twice, took him to the police and he was let off...so there's many many more that are on the streets and active

that's my experience with the place it's a haven for dregs and after watching as a paedo was let off by the police that was enough for me lol unsurprisingly when i mentioned it to other farang they weren't that bothered...anybody that can remain in such a city is of questionable morals lol no doubt that will offend some but it's the truth

Now, that's much better. At least bkkbound04 has the right idea.

Okay, go ahead and flame me, but here goes: in Bangkok, one walks roughly ten minutes in any direction and there are good street food vendors everywhere, not to mention scores of middle and working class Thai restaurants packed with locals..Central Pattaya, forget it...yeah, there is the night market on Soi Bua Kao, but comparatively, pickings are slim....

The beach...what beach? That small strip of sand smothered with wall to wall beach chairs, sellers, and the likes..fronting the beautifully clean and clear Pattaya Bay?..wonder if it is a coincidence that in every visit to Pattaya i have never once gone swimming. Rather spend the extra few hours and go to Ko Chang or Mak, or spend even less time and go to Ko Si Chang.

The nightlife? Yeah, legendary, the odds are good, but the goods are odd....gets very old and boring fast because there are few other choices. I like to go see good live Thai music, which in Bangkok there are plenty of clubs catering to that and to the music scene..in Pattaya, outside of the Blues Club, nothing but pulsing gogo beats and a few places hashing out poor copies of classic rock. I'd go on and on, but then I'd get really flamed. Nuff said...what is the attraction? Or put it this way, if for some reason the nightlife disappeared, would there be anyone left?

No flame from me - we are looking for the bad points.

"Nightlife - the odds are good, but the goods are odd" :) Love it.

I don't see the point in all these threads discussing whether Pattaya is good or bad. Those who like it here stay, those who don't are free to leave. What's the need for a long discussion?

valid point, Phil. Although I see the piss-taking aspect of this thread, it is just one too many in too short time. Can't you guys do something better with your time than discussing the same old over and over again? :D

anyways... :)