Possible Earthquake Warning

maxisrael

Today saturday the 5th of March.

My Wife was shown a copy coming from the Army to be carefull between 14th and 18th of march and beware of a possible quake in the area between Lampoon and Chiang Mai (saraphi ? ) the area the warning goes out as I understood is Sankampheng, Doi Saket, San Sai and area's Lampoon Saraphi, Chiang Mai, Hang Dong

The letter says to stay away from tall buildings and the possibility of big cracks in the earth !

THIS IS NOT A JOKE !!

As I was told it will be annouced through radio and mailings in Moo baan's but probabably only in Thai and not via Television maybe through newspaper(s) but I don't know that ( Don't want to scare off the tourists ?? )

Who can find out more about this !!??

I grew up directly on the San Andreas Fault. Our local newspaper had a running joke showing the recorded earthquake activity on a map, which easily numbered in the hundreds per week, and more...

It wouldn't be difficult to show, I'll bet.

I'll also bet they're using tide charts, and maybe rubbings off sacred banana trees to predict the dates of these quakes.

You think I'm joking, don't you? :D:o

A very famous thai fortune teller has predicted a devastating earthquake on the 12th of march. Bangkok supposedly gets wiped out. He also predicted a terorist attack in bangkok in feburary and a host of other financial misfortunes for the rest of the year. A lot of people I've noticed are taking his warnings seriously as they do with mumbo jumbo

My Wife was shown a copy coming from the Army to be carefull between 14th and 18th of march and beware of a possible quake in the area between Lampoon and Chiang Mai (saraphi ? ) the area the warning goes out as I understood is Sankampheng, Doi Saket, San Sai and area's Lampoon Saraphi, Chiang Mai, Hang Dong

The letter says to stay away from tall buildings and the possibility of big cracks in the earth !

THIS IS NOT A JOKE !!

As I was told it will be annouced through radio and mailings in Moo baan's but probabably only in Thai and not via Television maybe through newspaper(s) but I don't know that ( Don't want to scare off the tourists ?? )

Many neighbors are leaving town prior to the 14th -- its already quiet where I live, but this is a godsend. :D The fault line apparently goes right thru' San Kamphaeng. Come and have a beer and we'll watch it together -- and bring your CAPITAL letters with you! :o:D

:D  :D  :D And what happened after you woke up?

RDN can you be more specific I am awake and once again

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Please be serious

Why did you post this yesterday in this forum?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=293227

Doesn't sound as if you were too worried yesterday. So what happened to change your mind? :o

.5 is quite small, and I took is as sarcasm, fitting with his 'sky is falling' post her, later...

Edited by Ajarn

THIS IS NOT A JOKE !!

Many neighbors are leaving town prior to the 14th -- its already quiet where I live, but this is a godsend. :D The fault line apparently goes right thru' San Kamphaeng. Come and have a beer and we'll watch it together -- and bring your CAPITAL letters with you! :D:D

OK, as I'll be flying up, shall I book a morning flight or afternoon? Don't want to arrive too late and miss it like I did the total eclipse last week :o

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Please be serious

Doesn't sound as if you were too worried yesterday. So what happened to change your mind? :o

RDN

I posted it here because it concerns Chiang Mai I am not worried for myself because I live outside Chiang Mai in a 1 level house with plenty of space.

I felt to give out the warning not for myself but for others to see it and I realy hope its not true but you never know .

I am not familiar with quakes but I see around here several hotsprings so something is happening down in the earth

I also am sorry to see the jokes they make about it I wish I hadn't posted it people don't seem to care

But I really hope they who send out the warning are wrong or it is a sick joke.

I will try to get a copy of the paper they showed (in Thai) and post it

Hhmm :D . First of all you posted this:

:o Why worry all tall buildings here are strong and solid can easely stand a quake of  .5 on the richter scale

And then you posted this:

THIS IS NOT A JOKE !!

So you've gone from "not being too bothered" to "shouting it from the hill-tops"!

You say you are not familiar with quakes - neither am I but everybody knows they are extremely difficult to predict and this ridiculous warning that you write about not only gives a location, it also gives a fairly precise time many days in the future. Ridiculous!

I doubt if it's a sick joke - it's just misunderstood 'scientific data' (as someone has already said :D ).

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Please be serious

RDN

I posted it here because it concerns Chiang Mai I am not worried for myself because I live outside Chiang Mai in a 1 level house with plenty of space.

I felt to give out the warning not for myself but for others to see it and I realy hope its not true but you never know .

I am not familiar with quakes but I see around here several hotsprings so something is happening down in the earth

I also am sorry to see the jokes they make about it I wish I hadn't posted it people don't seem to care

Hey, maxisrael, nothing personal, I assure you... :D

But, what is the point of a warning? What can you do? Hide in a doorway for the life of the warning period? Leave and go somewhere else for the same period?

And, as someone mentioned, there is NO way currently to make any kind of quake prediction with any level of accuracy. That's the pure reality that points up the foolishness of publishing a public warning about impending earthquakes...

Always good to be prepared in advance (I have), but predicting imminent earthquakes is still in the joking-around stage, even here, as you've seen :D

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Please be serious

RDN

>>>>>>I will try to get a copy of the paper they showed (in Thai) and post it

<<<<<<<

Please don't do that! Spend your time wisely instead -- apply for Thai citizenship; you've earned it -- in spades. What's your secret? :D

The public is being alarmed. My boyfriend/roommate, who is a rational 37 year old Thai, just came home and said the government is predicting an earthquake in northern Thailand (several Lanna provinces) the weekend of 12-14 March. Since we live on the 6th floor of a 14-floor building, we should evacuate the building at that time. Since I'm probably going to Mae Sai that weekend, maybe I should stay overnight and return on Sunday evening.

So I asked if it was in print or on broadcast media, and he replies, "The people are talking." So it's rumor for the Americans, rumour for the Brits, I guess.

My boyfriend is rational, but that doesn't mean he won't believe rumours. He has no academic degrees, and doesn't realize that science can't predict quakes.

Before finding this thread, I found the one about Thai children's average IQ dropping to 89...or was it 79. I just started suspecting that my boss (BA, MEd) is stupid. Somebody recently asked me if there are any geniuses in Thailand, and are they respected. Hmm, I wonder....I am honestly beginning to wonder if the average IQ in Thailand is 79, or whether the average Thai is functionally literate.

The public is being alarmed.  My boyfriend/roommate, who is a rational 37 year old Thai, just came home and said the government is predicting an earthquake in northern Thailand (several Lanna provinces) the weekend of 12-14 March.  Since we live on the 6th floor of a 14-floor building, we should evacuate the building at that time.  Since I'm probably going to Mae Sai that weekend, maybe I should stay overnight and return on Sunday evening.

So I asked if it was in print or on broadcast media, and he replies, "The people are talking."  So it's rumor for the Americans, rumour for the Brits, I guess.

My boyfriend is rational, but that doesn't mean he won't believe rumours.  He has no academic degrees, and doesn't realize that science can't predict quakes.

Before finding this thread, I found the one about Thai children's average IQ dropping to 89...or was it 79.  I just started suspecting that my boss (BA, MEd) is stupid.  Somebody recently asked me if there are any geniuses in Thailand, and are they respected.  Hmm, I wonder....I am honestly beginning to wonder if the average IQ in Thailand is 79, or whether the average Thai is functionally literate.

Have always appreciated your straight talk, PB -- but "79" seems to me to be more of an upper limit! Ouch! If you'd like to experience the neighborhood of "50" visit Siam Commercial Bank on the Ding Dong Road (next door to Tesco Lotus) and present a reasonably difficult transaction question to any of the "officers" (seated at desks). Even in Thai (with a knowledgeable Thai person present as backup) .... one wonders and wonders!

All is forgiven though (at least on my part), when upon prolonged elucidation (& controlled exasperation on my part), the smiles burst forth when understanding ignites -- I walk out of there with no residue, just feeling, "God, do I love it so!"

They have other qualities that make up for this accurately stated shortcoming -- actually they make up for this liability -- in spades. :o

:D

Heard this one from my staff, apparently Koh Phangan is going to be hit by an earthquake/tsunami on the 12th, so at least you won't be alone!

Then, i read on the MCOT English news website that the govt is decrying these rumors and asking people not to believe them. So, there you go.

Besides, never heard of someone being able to predict an earthquake to the day before.

I don't know about an earthquake (& i didn't expect one) but Lamphun province has been hit hard by serious winds this afternoon. The wife's family home has lost a few rooftiles & elsewhere in the village at least one house has lost the whole roof. Plus fruit trees (those ubiquitous lamyai) blown down. Also hail stones. (last year virtually the whole village had to be reroofed thanks to a hail storm!!) Wont help to lower their superstitions....

I don't know about an earthquake (& i didn't expect one) but Lamphun province has been hit hard by serious winds this afternoon.  The wife's family home has lost a few rooftiles & elsewhere in the village at least one house has lost the whole roof.  Plus fruit trees (those ubiquitous lamyai) blown down.  Also hail stones. (last year virtually the whole village had to be reroofed thanks to a hail storm!!)  Wont help to lower their superstitions....

Typically, we get some winds (from the North) and rain in the middle of March, as I recall. I tend to think of it as the first sign of a seasonal change in a month or so... The rainy season will make all this ugly black/brown landscape go away for the rest of the year, hopefully

Bet there will be similar wind reports in Chiang Rai, too. We're having a pretty hard and steady rainfall at the moment.

I knew it was raining, of course, when UBC went down... :o