Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

^Volunteers provide great service and I would like to see their powers be expanded. :):D :D

:D ..that's a long leg you're pulling, but I agree: Thai Volunteers; not Foreign Volunteers.

LaoPo

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lao Pao - Howard's stated on another occassion - uniforms were picked by the thai tourist police, the westerners had nought to say about them being black.

In that case, it should be pointed out very clearly the association of black uniforms for foreigners.

ie: the Nazi's Waffen SS, and other murderous groups throughout the world.

Thai cops wouldn't have a clue about WW2. or world history!

Even if the vols wore khaki cargo shorts & trainers with the black shirts it would tone down their para-miltary (Nazi) appearance.

Someone should have a quiet word in someone's shell-like Thai ear. :)

The bicycle cops in Sydney have won the respect of all, with their attitude, shorts and cool gear.

Lao Pao - Howard's stated on another occassion - uniforms were picked by the thai tourist police, the westerners had nought to say about them being black.

In that case, it should be pointed out very clearly the association of black uniforms for foreigners.

Neither do many western police departments who dress in black uniforms I guess.

Even if the vols wore khaki cargo shorts & trainers with the black shirts it would tone down their para-miltary (Nazi) appearance.

Someone should have a quiet word in someone's shell-like Thai ear. :)

The bicycle cops in Sydney have won the respect of all, with their attitude, shorts and cool gear.

Seems to me you do not have much clue about WW2, For instance my birth place Kanchanaburi.

Occupied by the japs in WW2 Bridge over the river kwai ring a bell?.

Further more is black not just another color?

Edited by cyb

Someone should have a quiet word in someone's shell-like Thai ear. :D

Seems to me you do not have much clue about WW2, For instance my birth place Kanchanaburi.

Ahh, maybe I should have qualified my post with "WW2 in Europe"

Is that the best you can do?

So sorry. :) Are you Thai?

Someone should have a quiet word in someone's shell-like Thai ear. :D

Ahh, maybe I should have qualified my post with "WW2 in Europe"

Is that the best you can do?

So sorry. :) Are you Thai?

A somewhat lame attempt at a derogatory post i think.

If i am thai or farang what difference should that make?

This is getting somewhat off topic so i will say no more.

Howard, when can we expect the first episode to be broadcasted?

For us marooned in the UK it starts on monday 10pm on Bravo.

Fortunately it's only available via Sky which I don't have, not worthwhile with the amount of time I'm here so thus am saved from temptation.

What to expect in Part 1 on monday...from Andrew Drummonds' site...even the British Royal Marines get scammed in Phuket!!>>>

Britain’s only saving grace, outwith the volunteers, in the first part of this eight programme series, comes from the Royal Marines who arrive at Phuket on HMS Bulwark.

As the sailors disembark for shore leave they are advised not to hire jet-skis on Patong Beach. But at this stage they are advised only. US military are banned from hiring them.

We cut to a scene where a young Marine is banged up in some sort of builders-yard-come-boat-warehouse in the back of beyond. He faces a gun. It’s either pay up or face the consequences. The Thai jet-ski operator is demanding 44,000 baht (£798) for damage to his boat. Its a scam and a nasty one.

The Thai boss ‘JJ’ makes it known on camera that he will resort to violence and has done in the past.

Around the scene are heavily tattooed Thais stripped to the waist.

More Marines arrive. Then along comes the ship’s Military Police Sergeant Major.

JJ insists on his cash, raising his voice as his 1% of integrity slips to Norway’s initial average scores in the European Song Contest, but that’s a little difficult to maintain anyway in his tacky lair.

‘I’m a f..cking businessman!’

‘Don’t you shout at me! You’re corrupt. You’re a f…cking crook. This damage is old damage. It’s turned brown already!’ shouts the Sergeant Major at JJ, ‘How come this happens every single f….g day here!”

The Royal Marines must miss the water quickly. Lots of them have been hiring jet-skis apparently.

I wanted to shout a few more expletives at the little worm on the screen myself.

‘Go now!’ The Sergeant orders the poor unfortunate captive Marine to leave the scene. JJ then orders his neanderthal buddies to close in.

There’s a stand off. The Marines are ready to fight their side. It’s clear there are links between the local mafia and local police. But at the end of the day the Marines know they cannot start an incident.

Eventually the Navy agree to pay a lesser amount, but only because the young Royal Marine had been bullied into agreeing to it verbally earlier. Series producer Gavin Hill was of course in the middle of this stand-off which would have cost a fortune to reconstruct with actors, and this was the real menacing truth.

The Royal Marines had just come from Helmand Province. I admired their patience. ( But I guess or rather I know they let some steam off in Soi Bangla where the military police were trying to save ‘Our boys’ from drewling ladyboys).

The Sergeant Major’s contempt was palpable, just as if he had just gobbled down a a couple of those ‘Brussels Sprouts’ which the ship’s HMS Bulwark’s Captain has apparently put down as ‘an enemy of the state’ and banned from his quarters.

I almost started singing ‘Rule Brittania’. A pyrrhic victory for the Thai thug accompanied by a trashing, sadly, for Thai tourism.

Coincidentally this week the Governor of Phuket has stepped into the local jet-ski rip-offs row.

Punters are paying up to £50 for half an hour on these machines, then ripped off for up to £1000 for alleged damage, which includes loss of alleged earnings while the jet-ski is being repaired.

The first programme in the series ‘Big Trouble in Thailand’, Vera Productions for the Bravo Channel, goes to air on Monday. Better than a lot, and I mean a lot, on the mainstream channels, it’s as good an introduction to the non glossy side of tourism in Thailand that you’ll ever get,…. but the beaches and the ‘craic’ still look great. I would want to go and have a look. Its a voyeurs paradise if nothing else.

What to expect in Part 1 on monday...from Andrew Drummonds' site...even the British Royal Marines get scammed in Phuket!!>>>

Britain's only saving grace, outwith the volunteers, in the first part of this eight programme series, comes from the Royal Marines who arrive at Phuket on HMS Bulwark.

As the sailors disembark for shore leave they are advised not to hire jet-skis on Patong Beach. But at this stage they are advised only. US military are banned from hiring them.

We cut to a scene where a young Marine is banged up in some sort of builders-yard-come-boat-warehouse in the back of beyond. He faces a gun. It's either pay up or face the consequences. The Thai jet-ski operator is demanding 44,000 baht (£798) for damage to his boat. Its a scam and a nasty one.

The Thai boss 'JJ' makes it known on camera that he will resort to violence and has done in the past.

Around the scene are heavily tattooed Thais stripped to the waist.

More Marines arrive. Then along comes the ship's Military Police Sergeant Major.

JJ insists on his cash, raising his voice as his 1% of integrity slips to Norway's initial average scores in the European Song Contest, but that's a little difficult to maintain anyway in his tacky lair.

'I'm a f..cking businessman!'

'Don't you shout at me! You're corrupt. You're a f…cking crook. This damage is old damage. It's turned brown already!' shouts the Sergeant Major at JJ, 'How come this happens every single f….g day here!"

The Royal Marines must miss the water quickly. Lots of them have been hiring jet-skis apparently.

I wanted to shout a few more expletives at the little worm on the screen myself.

'Go now!' The Sergeant orders the poor unfortunate captive Marine to leave the scene. JJ then orders his neanderthal buddies to close in.

There's a stand off. The Marines are ready to fight their side. It's clear there are links between the local mafia and local police. But at the end of the day the Marines know they cannot start an incident.

Eventually the Navy agree to pay a lesser amount, but only because the young Royal Marine had been bullied into agreeing to it verbally earlier. Series producer Gavin Hill was of course in the middle of this stand-off which would have cost a fortune to reconstruct with actors, and this was the real menacing truth.

The Royal Marines had just come from Helmand Province. I admired their patience. ( But I guess or rather I know they let some steam off in Soi Bangla where the military police were trying to save 'Our boys' from drewling ladyboys).

The Sergeant Major's contempt was palpable, just as if he had just gobbled down a a couple of those 'Brussels Sprouts' which the ship's HMS Bulwark's Captain has apparently put down as 'an enemy of the state' and banned from his quarters.

I almost started singing 'Rule Brittania'. A pyrrhic victory for the Thai thug accompanied by a trashing, sadly, for Thai tourism.

Coincidentally this week the Governor of Phuket has stepped into the local jet-ski rip-offs row.

Punters are paying up to £50 for half an hour on these machines, then ripped off for up to £1000 for alleged damage, which includes loss of alleged earnings while the jet-ski is being repaired.

The first programme in the series 'Big Trouble in Thailand', Vera Productions for the Bravo Channel, goes to air on Monday. Better than a lot, and I mean a lot, on the mainstream channels, it's as good an introduction to the non glossy side of tourism in Thailand that you'll ever get,…. but the beaches and the 'craic' still look great. I would want to go and have a look. Its a voyeurs paradise if nothing else.

Sounds like a scripted encounter to me at least from the Thai perspective. What is to stop the producers from going to a jet ski vendor and slipping them a few baht to create a confrontation? Do you really think Thais would be pulling guns in front of the cameras?

Do you really think Thais would be pulling guns in front of the cameras?

Yes......... :)

What do you think is the IQ of the average Thai criminal?

It's all rubbish, there was around 8 marines against about same number of Thais and I would hazard a guess that if the cameras weren't thear, there would have been a diferent outcome, just my opinion.

Brigante7.

Andrew Drummond has written a seperate article about the Royal Marines jetski scam incident along with pictures>>>

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2009/09/07/...ith-thai-mafia/

Note at the end he mentions JJ claims his father-in-law is one of the top cops in Phuket...what a surprise eh!!!

Sorry guys but this looks way too rigged. If anyone thinks reality tv is real they are crazy. I know people in the business and here in America the actors are paid. The reality crew amazingly just happened to be there... right... lmao. This imho was an orchestrated event. I'll bet they guy paid the Thais to go about business as usual and get one of the marine guys. We'll be in the area. DON'T BE SUCKERED. I think ripoffs occur but this is the first one I have heard with the "room out back and the gun".

Jetskis are a way for foreigners to prove that they can make noise, water, and air pollution--all at the same time, while on vacation. They're a menace to those enjoying the beach for swimming and relaxation. More aggravating than the thai guys selling the tablecloths, that won't go away.

Edited by Thighlander

While Howard came out looking pretty good and basically saved a loud mouthed drunk kid from probably getting beat to death, the show overall paints Thailand in a very bad light. I suspect if anyone from the Gov happens to see it they will ban the show.

As far as it being real, Yes, I think it was real. Of course they had to shoot hundreds of hours of film over a unknown period of time most of which would be unusable. They did come up with some interesting footage after all the editing. If the show does anything but entertain people who will never come here anyway, it will be to attract more of the kind of tourist Thailand already has to many of, drunk idiots.

Hi Guys, Just joined the forum. Yeah watched the program last night. having been to thailand and pattaya 3 times, i really enjoyed the show. Things like this happen at every tourist place.

I remember Ibiza uncovered being a lot worse

However my friends watched it and they called after the program finished to say thailand looked really dodgy.

I just explained that yeah it is if you wanna handle drugs or go looking for trouble you will find it, suppose its the same anywhere.

Next episode looks good.

Is this about the pretend Police?

Another chance for them to big note themselves on TV as that's all I've ever seen them doing in real life.

Then maybe you would like to volunteer and show us all, how it should be done!!! (ex volunteer from Udon Thani)

This is going the wrong way!

I agree with the pretend Police comment......is'nt it funny that you being an ex volunteer should follow a different

route!

:)

Strange....I do not find it funny.......!!

The word "Funny" in the sentence above in parts of the UK [East Anglia area] is slang for "Odd" so easy there matey!!!!

Is this about the pretend Police?

Another chance for them to big note themselves on TV as that's all I've ever seen them doing in real life.

Then maybe you would like to volunteer and show us all, how it should be done!!! (ex volunteer from Udon Thani)

Why should I volunteer to do a job that real Police officers should be doing? Thailand has one of the biggest per capita Police forces in the World after all.

I notice one of the volunteers was caught in Pattaya this week dealing drugs and using his status on the force as cover.