Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

Are there any shows involving Bangkoks volunteers...

AFAIK, none of the foreigners who work in BKK are featured in the shows. That's maybe because the work that they do (me included), would appear rather boring in a fly-on-the-wall documentary like this. The work is purely office-based, and we are unpaid liaison translators for the Thai police at Lumpini Police station, which is a main station for reporting of thefts, lost property, and similar incidents that befall tourists.

Eg, what did I do last Friday? Translated for a British man who was arrested with drugs (for personal use), contacted the British embassy on his behalf, assisted 2 Iranians who had lost their plane tickets and needed an insurance report, located the hotel for a drunk Japanese tourist who was too far gone to know where he was sleeping that night etc etc.

No strong-arm stuff and no shouting, at least not by me :)

Simon

That to me is what the role of the volunteers should be, not 'leading investigations', getting involved in bar fights, searching food carts for drugs, or other things that they are not trained to do.

I understood that there were some volunteers out and about in some of the tourist areas such as Patpong etc. Is that not the case?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some "reality" that any foreigner considering doing business in Thailand or even visiting Thailand should be aware of. It concerns the way in which the real Thai police and prosecutors are able to abuse the legal system for the purpose of extortion and how, when the National Police Chief, The Attorney General and even Khun Abhisit, the Prime Minister are asked to take steps to investigate it and establish the truth they simply close their eyes and turn a deaf ear.

<snip>

Businessmen, foreigners living in Thailand and tourists beware of a police and prosecution system that is out of control and worse is permitted to operate unchecked by those in political power. You could be the next innocent victim. And to the farang police volunteers, I say, wake up to the reality of Big Trouble in Thailand.

If the producers or any other documentary film makers want some "reality" TV about the real police in Thailand contact me.

... the moral of this story is that foreigners are not welcome to do any business in Thailand especially where land is concerned. It might be possible, but you aren't welcome

I thought the female volunteers came across well, and were performing the role as it should be. They acted as a liaison for Mica, trying to give her factual information on what could happen to her, and using their contacts to try and find information out. They were also helping out the injured at the full moon party.

On the other hand you have the Pattaya volunteers getting involved in things that are out of their remit. Why were they shown leading one of the 'mercanaries' along the street by the arm, with an extended baton. Getting involved in breaking up bar fights surely comes under the remit of the actual police. Then the voiceover talks about the investigation being led by one of them. Again, why is he 'leading' it? He has no jurisdiction over it. He was also completely unprofessional shouting out in public that the guy in the green shirt was a liar, regardless of whether it turned out he was. When the CCTV footage was shown, the voiceover said the guys 'policeman instincts' were right. Not sure what he did previously, but he isn't actually a policeman in Pattaya.

Are there any shows involving Bangkoks volunteers? I never read anything about them on here either, especially negative stuff. Is this because they just get on with helping people and don't get involved in stuff that is nothing to do with them.

I always thought that Howard and his guys got a bit of an unnecessary hard time on here, but watching this show makes me believe that maybe they are more about acting as fully fledged police officers and not as the volunteer support staff that they are.

They are police offers and do have power of arrest over foreigners. Actually civilians are also allowed to make a citizens arrest.

No they are not police officers..

And the issue of right of arrest is not clearly defined.. One of the local TVPs continually said they cannot arrest anyone.. But they could detain them until Thai police could make an arrest.. But then what is the difference between detaining someone and arresting them.

Are Thai people even allowed to make a citizens arrest ?? Or are you assuming they can because its possible in western law ??

In the rush cut edits of 'next week' you see the Patts farang lot physically struggling with and handcuffing someone.. So they obviously feel they can.

@Howard.. Are you still wearing your para badge ?? :)

Here is some "reality" that any foreigner considering doing business in Thailand or even visiting Thailand should be aware of. It concerns the way in which the real Thai police and prosecutors are able to abuse the legal system for the purpose of extortion and how, when the National Police Chief, The Attorney General and even Khun Abhisit, the Prime Minister are asked to take steps to investigate it and establish the truth they simply close their eyes and turn a deaf ear.

<snip>

Businessmen, foreigners living in Thailand and tourists beware of a police and prosecution system that is out of control and worse is permitted to operate unchecked by those in political power. You could be the next innocent victim. And to the farang police volunteers, I say, wake up to the reality of Big Trouble in Thailand.

If the producers or any other documentary film makers want some "reality" TV about the real police in Thailand contact me.

... the moral of this story is that foreigners are not welcome to do any business in Thailand especially where land is concerned. It might be possible, but you aren't welcome

The Thai government seems fairly happy for foreigners to develop its tourist attractions and resorts. In any case, whatever their attitude it is hardly a reason for the issue I have raised.

In case anyone thought they recognised the Paul Harrisson fella.. Hes the one that maced the Kateoys when out of uniform as per

LADY BOYS ACCUSE PATTAYA FOREIGN POLICE VOLUNTEER OF ASSAULT : Pattaya Daily News

Then ran home and got changed into uniform at 3am to show up at the cop shop. Doesnt look at all the worse for wear in this ??

p6.jpg

Whats the problem their uniforms? I dont get it???? I looks like normal police type uniform with a few badges and medals to look good. Do they get to choose their uniforms? Some of the normal road cops ive seen look like fully decorated 3 star generals!

Edited by CrossBones

<snip>

The Thai government seems fairly happy for foreigners to develop its tourist attractions and resorts. In any case, whatever their attitude it is hardly a reason for the issue I have raised.

Nobodys out to protect any foreign investments in Thailand from what ive seen. Two foreigners argueing over a land dispute, who cares, foreigner and a Thai well you might come out unlucky. What about the big investments, like 5 star hotels etc? I guess they are either so big that they can stand their ground, or the land is Thai owned and leased to the foreign company.

MC Donalds is Thai owned in Thailand.

<snip>

Nobodys out to protect any foreign investments in Thailand from what ive seen. Two foreigners argueing over a land dispute, who cares, foreigner and a Thai well you might come out unlucky. What about the big investments, like 5 star hotels etc? I guess they are either so big that they can stand their ground, or the land is Thai owned and leased to the foreign company.

MC Donalds is Thai owned in Thailand.

i just watched episode 2.

i woner what the true story is with the ATM fraud kid. i have no sympathy for anyone in this show so far except that guy, who on the surface seems innocent and he's had 1.5 years in jail awaiting trail so far. that's wrong by anyone's definition.

Seems innocent! Waiting on a bike near the ATM while his dad was stealing the money.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Briton gets 18 years, nine months for ATM fraud

bull-1.jpg

PHUKET CITY: Despite confessing to charges against him, a British man has been sentenced to 18 years and 9 months in prison for ATM fraud.

Mark Hubert Veerasawmy, 45, received the sentence at Phuket Provincial Court several weeks ago, British Honorary Consul Martin Carpenter said.

Mr Veerasawmy was arrested in February last year together with his son Sonny, 20.

Phuket City Police arrested the pair after receiving a report that two men were acting suspiciously in front of the Kasikorn Bank branch on Chanacharoen Rd, near the Robinson department store.

When the police came to investigate, they found them in possession of 15 withdrawal slips, 10,000 baht in cash and 35 fake ATM cards, Capt Supachai Petchkul of Phuket City Police said.

When police searched the men’s hotel rooms they found more than 100,000 baht in bundles separated by rubber bands, Capt Supachai added.

The son, still in Phuket Provincial Prison awaiting trial, denies the charges against him.

thanks for posting that. i guess the TV show made him look somewhat innocent to keep viewers glued for next week.

anyhow, regardless of the evidence, he still deserves his day in court in less than 1 1/2 years.

I don't know if Sonny boy is guilty or not but you have to admire his remarkably positive attitude in the face of such a bleak situation. The human story if he is guilty of a criminal father getting his young son involved in such crimes has got to inspire some sympathy. What young man doesn't want to please his Daddy?

Again, not commenting on guilt (who knows) but in Thailand the fact that most suspects sign forms admitting their guilt does not actually mean they are guilty. The system is much easier on people who confess, thus many innocent people are "inspired" to confess.

Edited by Jingthing

I can only speak for the Phuket foreign TPVs..

'Arrest' is a formal procedure whereby the person being placed under arrest is cautioned etc 'I am arresting you for xxx, you do not have to say anything etc etc'

Phuket foreign TPVs do not have that authority, but they do have authority to detain or restrain a person until a formal arrest can be made by a Thai police officer. That is exactly the same authority that any citizen has in the context of 'citizen's arrest' (which is not really an arrest in the above definition).

I have detained and/or restrained persons on a few occasions, (when they have been complete tw*ts and their actions likely to incite a slap or worse from others...). I have never arrested anyone because I have no authority to do so, and that process has been left to my Thai police colleagues.

Can't really speak for other volunteer groups. Would be nice if we were all singing from the same hymnsheet :)

Simon

I can only speak for the Phuket foreign TPVs..

'Arrest' is a formal procedure whereby the person being placed under arrest is cautioned etc 'I am arresting you for xxx, you do not have to say anything etc etc'

Phuket foreign TPVs do not have that authority, but they do have authority to detain or restrain a person until a formal arrest can be made by a Thai police officer. That is exactly the same authority that any citizen has in the context of 'citizen's arrest' (which is not really an arrest in the above definition).

I have detained and/or restrained persons on a few occasions, (when they have been complete tw*ts and their actions likely to incite a slap or worse from others...). I have never arrested anyone because I have no authority to do so, and that process has been left to my Thai police colleagues.

Can't really speak for other volunteer groups. Would be nice if we were all singing from the same hymnsheet :D

Simon

:D

It's basically attitude....if one isn't affected it's "no wuckin' forries!",

if one all of a sudden find him/herself in the grinding mill every one starts yelling for "HELP"!...

Human manure - (human nature) how B.Trink used to label this behavior... is just like it is, shame though!

If one can only react if is kicked.. :)

From the Phuket newspaper we are not allowed to quote comes a fresh follow up:

Jet-Ski Scams: Fresh Round of Talks on Friday

One thing struck me as od, as the president of the Bang Tao Jet-Ski Association, Anusorn Sale was quoted with saying that: "Insurance is not possible because under Thai law, the jet-skis are for sport only and cannot be rented to others."

So how come you can rent them then??

No, no no Duangta, you have it all wrong :)

They don't rent the jetskis to tourists. They lend them free of charge and then scam you for damage that may or may not have occurred whilst you were borrowing the jet-ski....

There - sorted that one out :D

Simon

What about the big investments, like 5 star hotels etc? I guess they are either so big that they can stand their ground, or the land is Thai owned and leased to the foreign company.

In the vast majority of cases the hotel is Thai owned and they pay the international chain (Marriot, ACCOR, Hilton etc) a management fee to run it.

Volunteers came across in a much better light this week.

Glad they do. It is no doubt a thankless job and comes under constant fire from what I can see here.

Anybody who is shouting should be the first to show how it should be done.

Well done to any volunteer, for whatever, for giving up your time to help out.

Edited by harleyclarkey

From the Phuket newspaper we are not allowed to quote comes a fresh follow up:

Jet-Ski Scams: Fresh Round of Talks on Friday

One thing struck me as od, as the president of the Bang Tao Jet-Ski Association, Anusorn Sale was quoted with saying that: "Insurance is not possible because under Thai law, the jet-skis are for sport only and cannot be rented to others."

So how come you can rent them then??

Anusorn Sale - how much I wonder?!!!

I don't know if Sonny boy is guilty or not

Again, not commenting on guilt (who knows) but in Thailand the fact that most suspects sign forms admitting their guilt does not actually mean they are guilty. The system is much easier on people who confess, thus many innocent people are "inspired" to confess.

Mmmm. probably is as the cops found a good stash of dosh in the hotel room they shared and he was seen on CCTV on the getaway ( :) ) scooter. The dad is a bl--dy disgrace to even think of involving his son in this. He must be a real low life. Anyway...the kid had to have been waiting quite some time between the report and the cops arriving.

Funny those criticizing on the forum have been offered time/time again to come and chat with Howard in person. However they'd rather whinge about it on a forum then actually learn smth in person. I have no doubt Howard be happy to invite anyone to spend the night with them and see the good work they do first hand. I doubt anyone here will do so though far easier to just whinge. :)

Funny those criticizing on the forum have been offered time/time again to come and chat with Howard in person. However they'd rather whinge about it on a forum then actually learn smth in person. I have no doubt Howard be happy to invite anyone to spend the night with them and see the good work they do first hand. I doubt anyone here will do so though far easier to just whinge. :)

Good point, I was not impressed with him at first but have changed my mind after reading his posts and seeing more of him in the film. He's an easy target to point the finger at but at least he is putting something back which many here do not. His hearts in the right place but i'm sure he would admit he ain't perfect and has made mistakes doing the job. I would rather deal with him than some stony faced Thai cop who more likely than not would only get his finger out if there was something in it for him.

.... but i'm sure he would admit he ain't perfect and has made mistakes doing the job.

In fact I was suspended for 1 week because I messed up in a case, some years ago now.

Just referring to an earlier post, I can confirm that NO Volunteer regardless of nationality, including Thai, has the power of arrest. The FTPA here in Pattaya are allowed to detain a person and in extreme circumstances we can physically restrain the person, however we MUST contact our duty Police Officer immediately for further instructions and request his presence at the scene. The formal arrest of the person must be undertaken by a Thai Police Officer.

Edited by hm1973

I don't know if Sonny boy is guilty or not

Mmmm. probably is as the cops found a good stash of dosh in the hotel room they shared and he was seen on CCTV on the getaway ( :) ) scooter. The dad is a bl--dy disgrace to even think of involving his son in this. He must be a real low life. Anyway...the kid had to have been waiting quite some time between the report and the cops arriving.

Please tell me you are not serious with this comment concerning whether or not the young lad is guilty!! Well the reports say 100K in the hotel room which at the time was about £2000. Does that constitute enough money to prove you are a criminal? When I used to come over here a few years ago visiting the woman that is now my wife, I regularly travelled with£6-8K in cash in my bag. Since when has money in your room made you a criminal? !00K baht is hardly a significant amount of money. It is possible the son knew nothing about his Dads life of crime out here in Thailand.

Are there any shows involving Bangkoks volunteers...

AFAIK, none of the foreigners who work in BKK are featured in the shows. That's maybe because the work that they do (me included), would appear rather boring in a fly-on-the-wall documentary like this. The work is purely office-based, and we are unpaid liaison translators for the Thai police at Lumpini Police station, which is a main station for reporting of thefts, lost property, and similar incidents that befall tourists.

Eg, what did I do last Friday? Translated for a British man who was arrested with drugs (for personal use), contacted the British embassy on his behalf, assisted 2 Iranians who had lost their plane tickets and needed an insurance report, located the hotel for a drunk Japanese tourist who was too far gone to know where he was sleeping that night etc etc.

No strong-arm stuff and no shouting, at least not by me :D

Simon

Deep respect and hats off to you Simon43 :)

LaoPo

In case anyone thought they recognised the Paul Harrisson fella.. Hes the one that maced the Kateoys when out of uniform as per

LADY BOYS ACCUSE PATTAYA FOREIGN POLICE VOLUNTEER OF ASSAULT : Pattaya Daily News

Then ran home and got changed into uniform at 3am to show up at the cop shop. Doesnt look at all the worse for wear in this ??

p6.jpg

I think we all know full well what the ladyboys are like. If what I have seen ladyboys capable of doing then it is a wonder he didn't use cyanide gas!!.

Saw the link.....wouldn't fancy tangling with the babe/guy in the beige. Looks a right tough nut.

Got to remember that these guys/volunteers are dealing with the dregs and situations that we avoid like the plague. They have to go in and deal with it night after night. I wouldn't have the stamina nor stomach for this at all. I admire them for it and am glad it is they, and not me, doing this thankless job.