Thai 3 Round Pin Plug

lopburi3

This weeks buying trip to Lotus found both Panasonic iron and LG microwave to have the new Thai three round pin plugs as standard. Also noticed a Samsung microwave also had. Unfortunately Lotus electric supply still only has two pin plugs for sale.

Believe that is the matching outlet - the normal Japanese grounded outlet that accepts flat or round pins.

Agreed at present, but that plug looks like it should mate with a recessed outlet a-la Shuko which would make it very safe. I don't see an outlet spec in the Thai standard though.

I believe it was designed as a replacement for the very unsafe Shuko plug that everyone was putting on equipment sold here. The 'unsafe' comment is due to the fact they fit into the normal outlet here but did not provide the expected ground connection (which probably 99% of the population would not know) and did not have insulated pins. In that respect it is a huge improvement. Also all I have seen have the insulators on the current pins so would have to be well out of outlet to present a danger.

Believe It's the CEE7 spec plug or something very close, the actual pin holes in the correct socket are supposed to be recessed within a hole which covers up all the pins and half the plug body.

I fought for maybe two years to have this particular socket added to our range of products when I was with a major British wiring accessories manufacturer as it is used all over Asia and can often be seen installed along side BS1363 standard plugs and sockets. Plugs such as this are not usually manufactured independently by a wiring accessory manufacturer but are usually moulded on to the cable by the appliance manufacturer.

Just as a sideline it has to be the daftest product ever invented in the name of safety. With a little bit of effort when you are standing on your head in a dark corner it is possible to force the plug into the socket 45 degrees off so that the earth goes into the line and the line goes somewhere else. Don't say it can't be done because I have done it on my new Samsug LCD Obviously the TV did not work and that was when I discovered the pins were in the wrong holes. took it out and turned the plug around and the TV started up as if nothing had happened.

Rimmer, the CEE7 http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/23167623..._plug_CEE7.html series plugs are what is commonly referred to as Schuko. There are actually 2 or 3 variants in use in Europe which are to all intents and purposes (mostly) interchangeable although AFAIK none actually have 3 pins. The German version has side contact for ground whereas the French version has a ground pin in the outlet, this also means the French version is polarised. Most plugs are universal and will fit both types of outlet (except the ones I got in Belgium which are French only).

The Thai plug is Thai standard TIS166-2549 (2006) a genuine Thai standard, unlike anything else apart from (maybe) the Israeli plug which is very similar except that the latest version has flattened L and N pins..

The Thai plug is Thai standard TIS166-2549 (2006) a genuine Thai standard, unlike anything else apart from (maybe) the Israeli plug which is very similar except that the latest version has flattened L and N pins..

Ahhh so that accounts for the ability to rotate it and put the pins in the wrong hole. They are not quite equidistant on all three legs but very close and IMHO very very dangerous indeed.

Maybe with the correct socket they are safe and can not be rotated but when fitted into my Panasonic 3 pin sockets they will go in any which way. Would never pass BS :)

Ahhh so that accounts for the ability to rotate it and put the pins in the wrong hole. They are not quite equidistant on all three legs but very close and IMHO very very dangerous indeed.

Maybe with the correct socket they are safe and can not be rotated but when fitted into my Panasonic 3 pin sockets they will go in any which way. Would never pass BS :D

Like all compromises there are issues. In this case the requirement for the plug to fit existing outlets defines the pin positions leading to the possibility of incorrect insertion by those with excessive fingernails :)

Maybe with the correct socket they are safe and can not be rotated but when fitted into my Panasonic 3 pin sockets they will go in any which way. Would never pass BS :D

Like all compromises there are issues. In this case the requirement for the plug to fit existing outlets defines the pin positions leading to the possibility of incorrect insertion by those with excessive fingernails :D

So shouldn't be a problem just as soon as my nail clippers arrive right? :)

TIS 166-2549 (2006) Plugs and socket-outlets for household and similar purposes : plugs and socket-outlets with rated voltage not exceeding 250 V

Effective Date : March 3, 2008

(revoke from being madatory standard September 20, 2008)

This is what comes up on a Google search from the site. No spec available for this one TIS

the plug is used to this day in Denmark :D

Denmark uses Type K on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets similar but no cigar (different pin positioning and profile).

K_plug.jpg

If you Google TIS166-2549 (2006) you'll find the actual Thai standard for this plug, unique to Thailand :D

lol so that means all the danish plugs on my electic items are from thailand :)

all my danish plugs look like the one posted on top of the tread not like this one above here :D

and they fit in the thai plugs no worries

all my danish plugs look like the one posted on top of the tread not like this one above here :D

So long as they fit without force, no problem. To be honest just about anything will fit one of the Thai outlets :D

I assume you have the 3 pin Danish plugs, not the Euro 'Schuko' type with only two pins.

So long as they fit without force, no problem. To be honest just about anything will fit one of the Thai outlets :D

I assume you have the 3 pin Danish plugs, not the Euro 'Schuko' type with only two pins.

both 2 pin and 3 pin .. works

I do not have one of the new Thai plugs to check but would seem should be hard to insert wrong if they use the same Schuko 19mm space between hot/neutral as I measure 15mm space to ground hole in my outlets. I can see that with the flat blade space a 15mm space could probably be inserted but would not expect the third pin to line up with the ground hole in that case. Is it perhaps 15/16mm between all pins?

I am almost sure the same type of plug was in use in Germany in the 1960's as they were changing to the side ground Schuko. But perhaps it is just my memory playing games.

Actually, I seem to remember hearing that the plugs used here (up to now; 2-pin with side ground plus a ground hole) is a mix between the Schuko (German) and French standard. It looks like nobody ever thought of offering the proper wall outlets, so all those "grounded" plugs ran on L and N, with the side ground in the air... I solved the problem by acquiring a handful of metal pins with the correct diameter and roughly 2x the exposed length, and sticking them into the hole of the plug. Works for me :) but happy to see that equipment manufacturers are slowly getting it together too...!!

Actually, I seem to remember hearing that the plugs used here (up to now; 2-pin with side ground plus a ground hole) is a mix between the Schuko (German) and French standard. It looks like nobody ever thought of offering the proper wall outlets, so all those "grounded" plugs ran on L and N, with the side ground in the air...

Those combination plugs are actually a Euro standard, yes they fit both Schuko and the French variant.

Lord knows why appliances in Thailand were supplied with them (with the attendant safety issues) but proper Schuko outlets are available from Homepro or you can replace the plug with a 3-pin US style plug also available from Homepro.

Using a loose pin in the ground hole is not recommended as the spacing isn't quite right and you could damage the outlet to the point that a proper grounded plug doesn't make the ground connection. Homepro also sell a Schuko to TIS 166-2549 (2006) adaptor thingy which allows safer use of the Schuko in a local outlet.

Lord knows why appliances in Thailand were supplied with them (with the attendant safety issues) but proper Schuko outlets are available from Homepro or you can replace the plug with a 3-pin US style plug also available from Homepro.

Do you really recommend people go with the US plug at 220V? That's one of the things I always hated to see with the US plug applied here; it isn't intended to be finger-safe for 220V. I think the creation of a Thai standard (that doesn't require safety sockets) was a mistake, and the fact that you can jam anything into it is downright scary.

I have not seen any US plug not rated at least 250v. And those with ground plug seem to be large enough to keep fingers away from prongs. That they are not as safe as recessed sockets is valid but nobody in Thailand uses such sockets so not really an option for most.

And use a RCD/GFI/Safe-T-Cut on circuits to cut power in case of a finger (or other) alternate path to ground.

post-13-1252285798_thumb.png

Still the BEST in the west...but maybe I am bias....

Combined with MCB-RCD-RCBO protection recon we got it sussed... :)

Type G

BS 1363 (British 13 A/c 230 V 50 Hz earthed and fused)

The British Standards 1363 plug.

This design is used not only in the United Kingdom, but also in Ireland, Sri Lanka, Bahrain, UAE, Qatar, Yemen, Oman, Cyprus, Malta, Gibraltar, Botswana, Ghana, Hong Kong, Macau, Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Bangladesh, Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Mauritius, Iraq, Kuwait, Tanzania and Zimbabwe.

BS 1363 is also standard in several of the former British Caribbean colonies such as Belize, Dominica, St. Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada.

It is also used in Saudi Arabia in 230 V installations although 110 V installations using the NEMA connector are more common.

This plug, commonly known as a "13-amp plug", is a large plug that has three rectangular prongs forming a triangle. Live and neutral are 18 mm (0.709 in) long, and spaced 22 mm (0.866 in) apart. 9 mm (0.354 in) of insulation at the trailing ends of the prongs prevents accidental contact with a bare connector while the plug is partially inserted. The earth prong is approximately 4 mm × 8 mm (0.157 in × 0.315 in) and 23 mm (0.906 in) long.

The plug has a fuse inside.

The fuse is required to protect the cord, as British wiring standards allow very high-current ring main circuits to the socket. Accepted practice is to choose the smallest standard fuse (3, 5, or 13 A) that will allow the appliance to function. Using a 13 A fuse on an appliance with thin cord is considered bad practice.

The fuse is 1 in (25.40 mm) long, conforming to standard BS 1362. Sockets are required to be wired with neutral on the left and live on the right (viewed from the front of the socket) so that the fuse in the plug disconnects the live feed if it blows. The same convention is used for all British sockets connected directly to "mains" wiring.

UK wiring regulations (BS 7671) require sockets in homes to have shutters over the live and neutral connections to prevent the insertion of objects other than electric plugs. On most designs, these shutters are opened by the insertion of the longer earth prong. On some designs they are opened by the simultaneous insertion of the live and neutral prongs of the right shape and spacing.

The effect of the shutters is to help prevent the use of plugs made to other standards, and to prevent children and others poking things into the dangerous connections. On plugs for Class II appliances that do not require an earth, the pin is often plastic and serves only to open the shutters and to enforce the correct orientation of live and neutral. It may be possible to open the shutters by putting a screwdriver blade into the earth socked, so as to insert a Type C Plug (but not the BS 4573 UK shaver) or other plug types, but this can be dangerous for such plugs will not have a fuse and will often not fit properly.

BS 1363 plugs and sockets started appearing in 1946 and BS 1363 was first published in 1947. By the end of the 1950s, it had replaced the earlier type D BS 546 in new installations, and by the end of the 1960s, most earlier type D installations had been rewired to BS 1363 standards.

Outlets usually include switches on the live side for convenience and safety. :D

This is the standard plug/socket used at our laboratory. Have no idea how it was decided to use it but all outlets are of this type and put in probably 20 years ago. It's Eagle and meant for 125V/20A. :) Certainly can't plug it in wrong.

10397230.jpg

Can't go wrong with the Aussie plug either. The plugs even come in "clear" so that you can see the wiring inside. The "clear" plug is now mandatory for all contractors & construction sites. Please note the switches on the GPO.

(GPO=General Purpose Outlet=power point=socket).

Edited by elkangorito

This is the standard plug/socket used at our laboratory. Have no idea how it was decided to use it but all outlets are of this type and put in probably 20 years ago. It's Eagle and meant for 125V/20A. :) Certainly can't plug it in wrong.

10397230.jpg

Actually, we have a copier at our office that arrived with the skewed blade twisted with a pliers so it would fit in a standard 5-15 receptacle. Has the added benefit of sticking off the wall a bit...