Changing From Non-immigrant "b" To Retirement Visa

I have medical clearance to be here, and have been working in Thailand on a Non-immigrant "B" Visa. I already have a Thai bank account with the requisite amount of money in it. I am old enough for a Retirement Visa, and am aware of the "seasoning requirement" regarding the topping up of my bank account for annual renewals.

So, I should be a few steps ahead of most Retirement Visa applicants. But,it all seems a little too simple, and I don't recall having seen posts from people in the same position as myself. Maybe that is because it really will be simple for me ? Or, have I overlooked something ?

I came here 4 years ago on a multi entry Non Imm B visa. I was retired from the US and no real intentions of working here but the company I retired from had offices here in LOS so I got the B visa with a possibility that I may continue to work here for them. Before my first visa run was due I decided that working here was out of the question and retired life was too attractive so I applied for my retirement extension using the pension letter method. I'm still here using the pension letter method for extending my stay based on retirement. The original visa was as I said a B visa. No problems, no issues, no questions.

I'm in much the same boat as allane - been here a loooong time on a non-im visa w/work permit, but want to give up the 'joys' of working with Thais and retire. Two things I want to clarify:

1. I'm going to use the 800K Baht method. I thought that, even though I've been here for ages, I need to show that the 800K Baht was bought in from overseas. Correct, or not?

2. When it comes to actually changing my visa, am I going to have to leave the country and apply for the retirement visa at a foreign consulate? The last time my employers wanted to move my work permit to another operating company (about 6 - 7 years ago), I had to leave the country and start a new visa. Thought maybe the retirement visa would be the same.

1. No check is currently being made of source - but needs to be in account two months for first application.

2. You likely have an extension of stay for work so that ends the day your work ends. They may allow change that day or during a 7 day extension. If not it would just take a short trip to obtain a non immigrant O visa from Laos/Cambodia or Malaysia. You would then do the extension 60 days later during the last 30 days of entry stamp.

1. I'm going to use the 800K Baht method. I thought that, even though I've been here for ages, I need to show that the 800K Baht was bought in from overseas. Correct, or not?

That question bothered me too.

Here is a definite answer, dependent as ever on the officer's whim, I suppose.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2816288

Ah yes, as Lopburi3 says, no check being made of source.

Edited by mahtin