Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

... as the word has not so far appeared in this topic I will add it: Discretion, as in:

It must be noted that the grant or refusal of the Thailand Visa is at the sole discretion of The Royal Thai Embassy/Royal Thai Consulate-General... (from XYZ Visa Service wording)

The word is more readily seen in the requirements for Extension of Visa at Immigration as in "The extension of stay as well as the change of certain type of visa is solely at the discretion of the Immigration officer"... but I am sure it is in or is implied in the Thai Original: Issuance of any Visa, Red Warning Stamp or not, and whether all requirements are otherwise met or not, is at the full discretion of the Issuing Officer.

For those that have the red stamp, does this mean that there is a chance you will not get the 30 day extension at immigration? And will have to leave the country and get another 60 day visa.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing is free in LoS

Didn't you get a free double entry tourist visa? That saved you 2,000 baht.

Apart from that, despite your whinge about the cost of visas, you save a lot of money elsewhere when you live in LOS.

Iam 100% Sure that after the Free VISA trial , the Consulate in Vientiane will issue Tourist Visas again for them with RED stamps ! ., this issue why they started to sign out RED stamps is was done becuse they wanted to put down the foot to show they dont like to give away Visas for free ! So all is going to get back to normal after the free Visa trial March 2010 .

The reason they started to issue the red stamps is because far too many people are abusing tourist visas, and using them to stay in Thailand indefinitely when they should be getting a non-immigrant visa.

I've not had a red stamp and don't use tourist visa's, but this information was given direct to me from the Thai consulate to Laos himself, his take on the situation was that if people wanted to stay here indefinitely they should possess the correct visa and there was no good reason for people not to have an appropriate visa.. :D

You've got this back to front. It becomes tedious on these threads to constantly hear people accusing tourist visa holders as "abusers".

You can't blame people for abusing anything if tourist visas are offered ad infinitum from a consulate. Obviously if the consulate continues to provide them people will go back and get them. Since when do people self regulate? On planet earth they don't. Where do you come from?

This "abuse" you speak of is initiated by the issuing consulates. They are responsible.

The only reason they have started issuing red stamp warnings is because of the directive from Thai Immigration back in September this year. Before that there didn't seem to be a limit.

lol.. How can I have it wrong? This is what the Thai consulate to Laos told me directly... :) Perhaps you should go and explain to the Consulate in Laos how immigration works.. Clown

lol.. How can I have it wrong? This is what the Thai consulate to Laos told me directly... :) Perhaps you should go and explain to the Consulate in Laos how immigration works.. Clown

How does a person who doesn't believe you immediately get the label of "clown".

Perhaps you're the clown...with comments such as "This is what the Thai Consulate to Laos told me directly". You expect us to believe you had a conversation with the Thai Consulate over tourist visa abuse.

I don't think you've even been there and you're making this up.

i have 7 entrys on tr visa in passport ( no red stamp) 2 visa from singapore 2 doubleentry from laos, and last one when i heard about problem in laos , the last visa TR wiith 3 entrys valid 6month from a small euope consulate.

i really to lazy to go to europe again,,,,,,so you think end of march i can get a double entry in laos again

and if yes, they issue red stamp, and when, i can change passport at embassy, and have blank after,,,,is their a record in the embassys or not

thanks

This thread is about red stamps at the Consulate in Vientiane. It has nothing to do with any immigration office so how can anyone tell you what you need when you have not mentioned the reason for your visit or which immigration office?

Hi, I just got married and have been watching this thread and other regarding this tourist visa situation for years. I want to say that I sympathize with all affected by red stamps and other negative issues for those who dont qualify for the limited classes of visas available for those unmarried, not working and not 50 years old. What is with the "holier than though" people who come to these threads denouncing those affected?

I will be going to Laos next week but wont be applying for any visa. I need a visa exempt to then go to Malaysia for a 1 year multi-non imm marriage visa. I wish I could just get one in Laos as I am holidaying there for a week. My understanding from reading this forum is that Laos does not issue these. Is this correct?

Perhaps you're the clown...with comments such as "This is what the Thai Consulate to Laos told me directly". You expect us to believe you had a conversation with the Thai Consulate over tourist visa abuse.

lol.. Why on earth would I be 'making it up'? What is so unbelieveable about me having a conversation with the consulate about tourist visa abuse??

FYI... He's a friendly guy who happens to smoke, and who happened to be upstairs having a smoke when I was upstairs getting some photocopies done.. We got chatting for what must have been 30 minutes and he told me what I posted already, along with some other info about these 'red stamps' which I ain't going to post here because it would set the cat amongst the pigeons with muppets like you claiming 'lier, lier' as it would probably conflict with your own perceived *cough* expert knowlege..

lol.. Why on earth would I be 'making it up'? What is so unbelieveable about me having a conversation with the consulate about tourist visa abuse??

FYI... He's a friendly guy who happens to smoke, and who happened to be upstairs having a smoke when I was upstairs getting some photocopies done.. We got chatting for what must have been 30 minutes and he told me what I posted already, along with some other info about these 'red stamps' which I ain't going to post here because it would set the cat amongst the pigeons with muppets like you claiming 'lier, lier' as it would probably conflict with your own perceived *cough* expert knowlege..

Your story sounds more unbelievable the more you write about it, and now you're accusing me of being a muppet who lies down (lier). Make up your mind. Am I a muppet or a clown?

The Vientiane Consulate has been a visa factory for years. The last thing they want to do is to "stop abuse". They have full power to "stop abuse" anytime they wish. All they need to do is refuse visa applications....how easy is that?

They don't want to and therefore they are wholely responsible for this "visa abuse" you speak of. They could easily take the position of Thai Consulates such as the one in Manila where they hardly issue tourist visas to anyone, and if they do they require a lot of supporting documents.

Edited by tropo

Iam 100% Sure that after the Free VISA trial , the Consulate in Vientiane will issue Tourist Visas again for them with RED stamps ! ., this issue why they started to sign out RED stamps is was done becuse they wanted to put down the foot to show they dont like to give away Visas for free ! So all is going to get back to normal after the free Visa trial March 2010 .

The reason they started to issue the red stamps is because far too many people are abusing tourist visas, and using them to stay in Thailand indefinitely when they should be getting a non-immigrant visa.

I've not had a red stamp and don't use tourist visa's, but this information was given direct to me from the Thai consulate to Laos himself, his take on the situation was that if people wanted to stay here indefinitely they should possess the correct visa and there was no good reason for people not to have an appropriate visa.. :D

You've got this back to front. It becomes tedious on these threads to constantly hear people accusing tourist visa holders as "abusers".

You can't blame people for abusing anything if tourist visas are offered ad infinitum from a consulate. Obviously if the consulate continues to provide them people will go back and get them. Since when do people self regulate? On planet earth they don't. Where do you come from?

This "abuse" you speak of is initiated by the issuing consulates. They are responsible.

The only reason they have started issuing red stamp warnings is because of the directive from Thai Immigration back in September this year. Before that there didn't seem to be a limit.

lol.. How can I have it wrong? This is what the Thai consulate to Laos told me directly... :D Perhaps you should go and explain to the Consulate in Laos how immigration works.. Clown

i think the point here is that there is no transparency in these consulates, so it doesn't matter who you've had a converstaion with.

there are no specific laws discriminating against particular people in situations like this, but they often make decisions affecting applicants based on their feelings that morning or afternoon. if your an applicant like the op, for instance, whose travelled from (say) bangkok (at expense) to legally apply for their next tourist visa, and the passport is given to the uppity woman whose seen too many back-to-back visa applicants already, then that person is much less likely to get a visa.

so even though the applicant may travel all the way to vientiene, following the laws of thailand (which doesn't put a limit on the amount of applications that can be made - does it?), there is no certainty about the visa application outcome. in most western countries, as far as i know, it's pretty easy to check on the internet regarding certain laws in terms of migration, tourism and visas. so the biggest difference is that these countries have laws that the embassies and their employees have to follow. if a consulate officer makes a decision which is not consistent with the stated law, then that person's more than likely in the shit. :)

it's a cliche i've heard time an time again on this forum, but it happens to be true ... these consulates are a law onto themselves (and - i would assume - no one more so than the top brass in these places!) :D

there are no specific laws discriminating against particular people in situations like this, but they often make decisions affecting applicants based on their feelings that morning or afternoon.

But they do make dicisions based on nationality. I went there with my Filipino gf in October. We had identical and matching tourist visas in our passport. I (NZ passport) was given a tourist visa without a red stamp. She was refused a tourist visa.

I don't believe this decision was "based on their feelings that morning or afternoon".

there are no specific laws discriminating against particular people in situations like this, but they often make decisions affecting applicants based on their feelings that morning or afternoon.

But they do make dicisions based on nationality. I went there with my Filipino gf in October. We had identical and matching tourist visas in our passport. I (NZ passport) was given a tourist visa without a red stamp. She was refused a tourist visa.

I don't believe this decision was "based on their feelings that morning or afternoon".

no, but that's just an example of a reason. i was in the same situation as you, but my gf being burmese.

my point is that there isn't a law which stipulates burmese, filipino or african people get denied tourist visa or only get a single entry visas (if they're lucky), but consulate decisions are made on whatever reason suits them that day. not every decsion is based on the laws of thailand - which is pathetic, corrupt and a pain in the arse (whichever way you want to describe it) for those legally trying abide by the laws.

• 3 weeks later...
my point is that there isn't a law which stipulates burmese, filipino or african people get denied tourist visa or only get a single entry visas (if they're lucky), but consulate decisions are made on whatever reason suits them that day. not every decsion is based on the laws of thailand - which is pathetic, corrupt and a pain in the arse (whichever way you want to describe it) for those legally trying abide by the laws.

I don't think it is fair to say "pathetic, corrupt".

A "pain in the arse" sure.

I once tried to obtain a tourist visa for a 19 year old Russian girl to visit me in Australia, and unfortunately it was declined. When I querried this I was told that she falls into a category (young Russian women) that have a high probability of overstaying their visa based on past statistics. There is no law in Australia that denies young Russian women visas, but it is up to the discretion of the immigration officer.

The same may apply in Thailand. English, Australian and NZ men would probably very rarely overstay their visas (or work in Thailand), while young female Filipinos or Burmese would be much more likely to overstay or work in Thailand, and hence the different attitude and subsequent result at the consulate.

Hi Guys the ropes may be getting tighter I dont do border runs I got to my embassy in Bangkok once a year with my thailand bank records and my income from my home country I GO BACK TO MT PROVINCE WITH MY STAMPED PAPERS AND HAVE NO PROBLEM non o visas must be on the way out I spoke to an englishman the other day he had three days left or he was going bi noon

I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

Today I also got red stamp beside my visa:

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Classic T.I.T........hey, lets give out free visas to encourage tourism, but we don't actually want you to apply for one, and really we don't want you here at all, we're doing just fine without you!.....hmmm

NINE tourist visa's :) Hardly a genuine tourist.

Exactly..logic seems to be very individualistic!! :D:D:D

See here for an example of the warning stamp given by the Thai consulate in Vientiane, Laos:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Warning-...01#entry3031501

See here for the announcement posted on the website of the Thai consulate in Helsinki, Finland:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Warning-...40#entry3085840

See here for a later, differently-worded warning stamp given by the Thai consulate in Vientiane:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Red-Warning-...20#entry3094020

--

Maestro

I have been trying to catch up on this thread, but I find it unbelievable that so many posts have nothing to do with the actual topic!

Sorry, I have not read the complete topic as there are so many posts about non -0's, other countries, extensions in Bangkok, common law spouses, etc. etc.

Has any Westerner actually been denied a tourist visa without getting the red stamp first?

I believe that soon, the tourist visas will no longer be free, so I wonder if that will bring a return to "Business as usual"

In was at immigration for an extension last week and was informed that if I had too many tourist visa's then I could be denied an extension, I was told this by more than one person. It doesn't actually affect me but I was looking into what options are available to me.

I suppose this means that even if somewhere like Vientiane does go back to 'business as normal', then things still won't be as easy as they were.

• 8 months later...
I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

Today I also got red stamp beside my visa:

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Classic T.I.T........hey, lets give out free visas to encourage tourism, but we don't actually want you to apply for one, and really we don't want you here at all, we're doing just fine without you!.....hmmm

NINE tourist visa's :) Hardly a genuine tourist.

Some people have more time and money to tour around than others.