Advice On Choosing A Motorbike

Tim207

I am not a shopper and don't want to go around checking different models so I was hoping to get some recommendations here.

For years I have been riding Honda Waves shared by the extended family and have been mostly happy with them. The one thing I don't like is the tiny storage space under the seat.

I don't like automatics but I do want an automatic clutch. I don't like bikes with the flat feet rest in the front.

I am 5' 9" tall and 75 kilos so I don't need something big. It is mostly for running around locally but I do drive to places up to an hour and a half from home occasionally. Average use would be about an hour per day for 5 months and then parked for 7 months while I am away working.

I am thinking 20K to 25k price range used. I never buy new vehicles.

Any suggestions that would be better than the Wave?

Stick with Honda.

Wave or Dream; great workhorses run forever on neglect, mine has over 100,000 kms and never let me down.

I've seen them with a topbox and even plastic crates bolted to the rear, which would solve your luggage issue.

The 125 Dream is THE Thai workhorse, solid and takes everything thrown at it, the only problem is the front drum brake. The Wave has a disk brake option.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Different wave models have different storage too. My brother has the early wave-i (had silver embossed logo on the side panels not stickers) and I always wondered what the storage space fuss was, sure its not nuovo large but you can get a lid in it or some small stuff, plus it has the basket also. Then I opened another wave model to find you can only fit maybe some wet gear and a packet of cigs in there, didnt know they were so restricted.

Check out the ZX130r.. Strong, heavy built compared to others, and has storage.. Plus being kwaker seem unpopular second hand and go one for years. Only issue would be if really rural getting bits.

Different wave models have different storage too. My brother has the early wave-i (had silver embossed logo on the side panels not stickers) and I always wondered what the storage space fuss was, sure its not nuovo large but you can get a lid in it or some small stuff, plus it has the basket also. Then I opened another wave model to find you can only fit maybe some wet gear and a packet of cigs in there, didnt know they were so restricted.

Check out the ZX130r.. Strong, heavy built compared to others, and has storage.. Plus being kwaker seem unpopular second hand and go one for years. Only issue would be if really rural getting bits.

I am not looking to carry groceries or anything like that. I just want enough room to cary a change of clothes, a light rain coat and a few other things that are nice to always have "just in case".

Ok here is my solution (and the one i use daily).

Honda Sonic!

manual bike with great balance and front and rear discs brakes.

Great acceleration and low fuel consumption. You mentioned lack of space....well all bikes have that prob really. Sonic has NO space but you can put a grill down the centre or have a rear box fitted. Perfect for shopping and anything bigger can rest on the box.

post-77419-1254694014_thumb.jpg

oops sorry mate reread your post and noted you DO want automatic clutch....disregard the Sonic then!!! (trust me you will get use to it and the control is much better as time goes on)

Edited by coolie33